Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By TheDeadComedian

I remember getting so absorbed in the shows and PPVs, but it went way downhill. Can I jump back in or will I just be disappointed?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By animateria

I jumped back into WWF Smackdown on Hulu for a bit, it's the same story plots over and over again.

Oily muscular half naked men in tights arguing over the most juvenile things imaginable.

Which is part of the reason why I watch it really. Or watched it.... It still gets stale pretty fast.

Instead of watching wrestling I just want a superb wrestling game so I can justify making bazillions of custom characters. Sadly, none quite yet.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By empfeix

My cousin and I stayed away from it for a long time but now we still watch the odd PPV show and catch up to whats going on once in awhile.  There are some upcoming new stars that have great potential and its fun watching.  Of course there are still old hacks that can't let it go and ridiculous old story lines that they shamelessly bring back (Degeneration-X). 

If you can skim through the crap there is still good stuff to be had.  Plus hogan is back in TNA so I'm totally checking that out!

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By FrankCanada97

I watch Olympic wrestling. I know, I should be ashamed.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By animateria
@FrankCanada97 said:
" I watch Olympic wrestling. I know, I should be ashamed. "
Pfft, AMATEUR wresting.

(I'm just kidding. Just in case someone thinks I'm serious.)
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thecleric
@animateria said:
" I jumped back into WWF Smackdown on Hulu for a bit, it's the same story plots over and over again.  Oily muscular half naked men in tights arguing over the most juvenile things imaginable.  Which is part of the reason why I watch it really. Or watched it.... It still gets stale pretty fast.  Instead of watching wrestling I just want a superb wrestling game so I can justify making bazillions of custom characters. Sadly, none quite yet. "

No Caption Provided

This is their world champion, I wouldn't say he's oily. Also Fire Pro Wrestling and King of Colosseum are the two best wrestling games out there, if you don't enjoy those then you'll never enjoy a wrestling game.
Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Barrock

Sheamus and McIntyre winning the titles tonight give me up.

Reading that CM Punk lost in a dark match to R Truth, does not.

Dauragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dauragon

I haven't been able to keep up with wrestling since around 2003-ish. All my favourite wresters have gone on to other things. Either that or they are really old and sad to watch. *cough* Undertaker *cough*

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By animateria
@thecleric said:
" @animateria said:
" I jumped back into WWF Smackdown on Hulu for a bit, it's the same story plots over and over again.  Oily muscular half naked men in tights arguing over the most juvenile things imaginable.  Which is part of the reason why I watch it really. Or watched it.... It still gets stale pretty fast.  Instead of watching wrestling I just want a superb wrestling game so I can justify making bazillions of custom characters. Sadly, none quite yet. "

No Caption Provided
 This is their world champion, I wouldn't say he's oily. Also Fire Pro Wrestling and King of Colosseum are the two best wrestling games out there, if you don't enjoy those then you'll never enjoy a wrestling game. "
Palest Champion ever, I saw him when he was leaving ECW for RAW (or was it Smackdown I don't remember).

But, are you kidding me! I played me a shit ton of Fire Pro Wrestling 2 on my GBA. Even with hardware limitations that was the best wresting game I've ever played. Oh shit, I just remembered there was a PS2 version I forgot about!

Never heard of King of Colosseum, but just by mentioning Fire Pro, I'll trust you on that one.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By JJOR64

It still sucks IMO.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Barrock

Also you might want to tune into TNA to see Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, and Ric Flair turn it into WCW 2.0. It's going to be a riot.

Anyway, the Royal Rumble is next month which starts the road to Wrestlemania. That's when wrestling is at its highest point, in my honest opinion.

mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mrjared

If we're talking about US Pro Wrestling, it's probably the worst its ever been. WWE continues to defy expectations in how awful the booking can get, meanwhile, TNA is doing everything in its power to make to mold it into WCW Part II. The whole reason why people enjoyed TNA to begin with was all the amazing, fresh talent like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Petey Williams, ect. Now it's just Total Nonstop Sting. The guy can still work, but come on.. 

The most fun I've had watching wrestling in a long time has come from Japan, namely DDT Wrestling. It's an indy franchise in Japan that's essentially a caricature of everything silly and ridiculous that everyone loves about professional wrestling, only it has an amazing set of workers that can pull it off brilliantly. You know how people always like to say that folks like Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels could wrestle a broom or a blow-up doll and turn it into a 5-Star match? Over at DDT, Kota Ibushi did exactly that, defending his title against a blow-up doll, Yoshihiko. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU_-fVNs70w    

And when a man can wrestle a blow-up doll for 40 minutes and its better than anything produced by WWE or TNA, we definitely got problems. 

Until the WWE starts pushing the younger talent harder as opposed to feeding and burying them endlessly to the likes of Cena and Triple H, or TNA gets its act together and realizes that Hulk Hogan is no longer a draw in the ring, I wouldn't expect WWE or TNA to get better anytime soon. 

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Barrock
@MrJared: 

Ring of Honor is worth looking into as well. Jim Cornette might take it to the next level.
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thecleric
@MrJared said:
" If we're talking about US Pro Wrestling, it's probably the worst its ever been. WWE continues to defy expectations in how awful the booking can get, meanwhile, TNA is doing everything in its power to make to mold it into WCW Part II. The whole reason why people enjoyed TNA to begin with was all the amazing, fresh talent like Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels, Petey Williams, ect. Now it's just Total Nonstop Sting. The guy can still work, but come on.. 

The most fun I've had watching wrestling in a long time has come from Japan, namely DDT Wrestling. It's an indy franchise in Japan that's essentially a caricature of everything silly and ridiculous that everyone loves about professional wrestling, only it has an amazing set of workers that can pull it off brilliantly. You know how people always like to say that folks like Kurt Angle and Shawn Michaels could wrestle a broom or a blow-up doll and turn it into a 5-Star match? Over at DDT, Kota Ibushi did exactly that, defending his title against a blow-up doll, Yoshihiko. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU_-fVNs70w     And when a man can wrestle a blow-up doll for 40 minutes and its better than anything produced by WWE or TNA, we definitely got problems.  Until the WWE starts pushing the younger talent harder as opposed to feeding and burying them endlessly to the likes of Cena and Triple H, or TNA gets its act together and realizes that Hulk Hogan is no longer a draw in the ring, I wouldn't expect WWE or TNA to get better anytime soon.  "
DDT's ok, but HUSTLE is king of stupid wrestling. 

But Japan and Mexico have almost always been ahead of the US when it comes to wrestling, the independent scene has become a mimicry of shit they're doing in Japan, which is sad that there's few guys who can break out like Bryan Danielson, because everyone wants SUPER EXPLOSION MOVES. Old school wrestling is the best, Macho Man vs Steamboat is the best match I've ever seen.
Avatar image for thelawnwrangler
TheLawnWrangler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By TheLawnWrangler

Scotty 2 Hottie is no longer present (and hasn't been for a while). The day he stopped is the day wrestling officially sucked forever. 

HOW THE HELL COULD ANYONE FIRE THIS MAN?! 
HOW THE HELL COULD ANYONE FIRE THIS MAN?! 
mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrjared
@Barrock: True. I haven't checked in on them for a while. Probably because most of the RoH guys I used to follow went on to WWE and TNA, only to be squashed into oblivion :(  I saw that they started streaming their PPV's online, so I'll have to try and check out the next one. 

@thecleric: Old school wrestling is definitely better. You don't even have to go back that far to find fascinating matches as the WWE's Attitude Era is filled with gold. Even if the matches were slower, telling a story in the ring was taken much more seriously than it is today. Heck, I say it was slower, but some guys like Randy "Rest Hold" Orton make it as bad as it can get at times :)
Avatar image for thedeadcomedian
TheDeadComedian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheDeadComedian

AThanks for the advice, but I remember managing to enjoy wrestling back in 2006 and I know it was really bad then too but I still liked it. Is it even worse than that? That takes effort! 

P.S. are you Jared Rea?

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Coombs
@MrJared said:  
@thecleric: Old school wrestling is definitely better. You don't even have to go back that far to find fascinating matches as the WWE's Attitude Era is filled with gold. Even if the matches were slower, telling a story in the ring was taken much more seriously than it is today. Heck, I say it was slower, but some guys like Randy "Rest Hold" Orton make it as bad as it can get at times :) "
Is it just me or does anyone else consider anything with Randy Orton to still be New Wrestling?
Jake the Snake FTW...
I feel old....
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecleric said:
"DDT's ok, but HUSTLE is king of stupid wrestling. "
I am heartbroken that HUSTLE has ended.
Best league EVER!
I'm over a year behind on ROH shows, but there's some amazing wrestling there. It's weird that I was watching tapes of CM Punk there in 2004 and now he's a 3 time world champion in the big leagues.
Gives me hope for American Dragon.

I skim through alot of the WWE's shows nowadays and sto at interesting stuff which makes each show around 30 minutes long. That's just sad. 

Frankly ECW has been the most entertaining wrestling-wisewith fresh faces like Yoshi Tatsu and Zack Ryder, but also having great ring veterans like William Regal and Christian. Matches get more time seeing as they don't cram it full of stuff like guest hosts, diva matches or 20 minute promos before telling people to suck it.

Smackdown's had some terrific matches since the draft. And other than Undertaker, Batista and Rey Mysterio, the focus of the show has been guys like CM Punk, John Morrison, Dolph Ziggler and Drew McIntyre. The future of this business. Though the new asshole heel Batista is great.
The Jeff Hardy vs CM Punk angle was amazing. It worked on so many levels. And CM Punk trolling the kids the week after he retired Jeff is one of the funniest things I've seen. Smackdown also has Matt Striker on commentary now and the guy is amazing. I sit through the shittiest shit nowadays just to hear him commentate. Thank God he was ringside during TLC and Raw the last two days.

Speaking of Raw. That show's just been plain embarrassing lately. DX have two 40 year old men acting like 14 year old boys.
Squeaky clean John Cena overcoming the odds every damn week. Hornswoggle running around being annoyomg on every level.
Michael Cole and The King making me want to kill myself with their commentating (Though chuck in Striker there and all of a sudden Cole is passable and King is actually entertaining again. Go figure) Guest hosts which have been terrible 9 times out of 10.
I'm so happy Sheamus won the title. Gives me hope that we'll see something new soon instead of Orton, Cena, HHH and HBK being shuffled around.

Chris Jericho is still amazing though. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Heel of the decade since the Dudley Boys back in ECW

I gave up on TNA a long time ago. They made me stop marking for Samoa Joe. HOW THE FUCK DID THAT HAPPEN!?
It's not like he got any worse, on the contrary. But the way he's been booked has been terrible.
Same thing happened to AJ Styles and Christopher Daniels. I heard Nigel McGuiness is getting a good push, so I might turn in again.
Maybe the Motor City Machineguns have gotten some screen time again.

Other than HUSTLE, I haven't watched much puro other than the occasional NOAH which is still great, but hard to get into at times
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Coombs said:
"Is it just me or does anyone else consider anything with Randy Orton to still be New Wrestling? Jake the Snake FTW... I feel old.... "
Whenever Cole says "Vintage Orton" my heart sinks. UNLESS YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT BOB THEN IT ISN'T VINTAGE!
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

Hulk Hogan is back in the ring. SOURCE...The guy's gotta be a hundred by now.  Real life is stranger than fiction sometimes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

In short: No, it is not. Apparently the WWE had some medics interrupt an awesome match at the recent TLC PPV, to the sound of "we want blood!" chants. That PG rating is a true bliss, isn't it?

TNA is utter crap from what I read, but hey - at least they are not PG-rated. Unfortunately Dixie Carter remains completely clueless about pro wrestling.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai
@atomic_dumpling said:
" In short: No, it is not. Apparently the WWE had some medics interrupt an awesome match at the recent TLC PPV, to the sound of "we want blood!" chants. That PG rating is a true bliss, isn't it? TNA is utter crap from what I read, but hey - at least they are not PG-rated. Unfortunately Dixie Carter remains completely clueless about pro wrestling. "
Second that. 
belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By belaraphon

is the rock wrestling anymore? he's always been my favorite - especially when we was the corporate rock.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

Long gone and never coming back.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Barrock
@ProfessorEss said:
" Long gone and never coming back. "
Actually there has been talk of him at least hosting a RAW in early 2010. Bret Hart too.
bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By bed
@JJOR64 said:
" It still sucks IMO. "
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

The Rock is not there so it's not cool.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By InfiniteGeass

It used to be good, but not anymore. I think it will never be good again.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By agentboolen

It would be more fun it the wrestlers had more character.  Besides the Undertaker and DX everyone just acts so boring.  It needs to revisit the days of the 80's to be fun again.  Its gotten really boring.  Its all about Muscle I remember the days when a fat guy like the Big Boss Man or Bam Bam Bigelow could have a fun fight with a muscled guy like Hulk Hogan or the Ultimate Warrior, now its all muscle and bland characters.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CL60

Nuff said.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

"pro" wrestling has always been shit.

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#33  Edited By bed
@Bellum: yup. it's all about the backyard wrestling idiots  

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Barrock

Bret Hart just signed a contract with the WWE. Short term but hole-lee-shit its awesome.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CL60
@Barrock said:
" Bret Hart just signed a contract with the WWE. Short term but hole-lee-shit its awesome. "
Yeah, I was extraordinarily surprised when I heard that. He is expected to return during the 3 hour special.
Butchio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Butchio

seeing it a show live is pretty good, but on tv its poor

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By ez123

Are you aging like Benjamin Button? If so, then yes.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By septim

I was lucky in that I grew up during the glorious "Attitude era" with Steve Austin and The Rock. Nowadays the few times I check out Raw it seems really, really stupid. And it's not even funny stupid, it's just plain old stupid. When they are not pushing their pathetic "plotlines", they are shilling PPVs, and every once in a while they try and squeeze a two second non-important match.

No thanks.

raegunz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By raegunz_

I'm really disappointed with the direction it's taken, to tell you the truth. I think I got in on the tail-end of its greatness, and that was almost 10 years ago. My dad got me into it when I was younger, and we went to Smackdown when it came to our local arena-type-place, but all at once, it seems, it's just gone to hell. Lame.

OH WELL.