#1 Edited by Captain_Insano (1535 posts) -

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/from-fantasy-to-lethal-reality-breivik-trained-on-modern-warfare-game-20110725-1hw41.html

I know as an Australian that we cop a pretty bad wrap for our attitude to video games, and this R18+ classification battle is not over yet. The article I have posted above is from the newspaper I regularly read, interestingly it is the paper which I consider to be LESS reactionary than others and is not part of Rupert Murdoch's consolidated holdings over here. Despite knowing that an article like this was inevitable, it still makes me sick to my stomach to think that otherwise intelligent people can be so quick to blame something that they don't understand as a cause. I have played a fair bit of Call of Duty in my time and I in no way feel 'trained' to massacre a whole bunch of people. How does 'No Russian' even train you to do that? What, point your gun and pull the trigger? If I wanted to massacre people I probably could have figured that one out for myself. 
Still, it will be interesting to see how many other ridiculous articles of a similar ilk pop up over the next few days.

#2 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

Seeing that .au in there makes me want to not click it.

#3 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Insightful and articulately written post OP. I will certainly give your words some meditation.

EDIT: Just want to make it clear that when I posted this the OP had just posted the link and nothing else.

#4 Posted by TotalEklypse (1000 posts) -

Are we surprised by this?

#5 Edited by bushpusherr (778 posts) -

The man who killed at least 93 people in Norway described the video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 as "part of my training-simulation" in his 1500-page manifesto published online just before he embarked on the massacre.

The development has led the Australian Christian Lobby to call for games to be banned if the "violence is excessive or gratuitous", while the games industry argues that singling out a video game does little to understand the greater tragedy.

Anders Behring Breivik, 32, described himself as a righteous crusader on a mission to save European "Christendom" from a tide of Islam. He wrote that   Modern Warfare 2   was ideal for target practice and training.   

Yeah, so the Christian Lobby Group has NO PROBLEM with the fact that he was killing everyone to save European "Chistendom", its the evil video games that need to be censored.  GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK
#6 Posted by Rumour (95 posts) -

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that banning MW2 in Australia would not have prevented this tragedy from occurring...

#7 Posted by Captain_Insano (1535 posts) -

According to the Australian Christian Lobby, you're wrong.

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11963 posts) -
Siiiiiiiiigh.
#9 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -

People will always have misconceptions about everything, it's natural. I'm not surprised people would have such attitudes towards video games. The people that have these attitudes are most likely parents with young or teenage children. Instead of realizing that they themselves are the problem, it's much easier to target video games instead. It's a common tactic among those in denial.

#10 Posted by Pinworm45 (4088 posts) -

Personally, I blame harry potter.

#11 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

He was also described by his neighbours as a very quiet lad, and we all know it's the quiet ones you gotta watch:

@George Carlin said:

Every time you see a story about a serial killer on TV what do they do? They bring on the neighbour who says:
- "Weeeell, he was always very quiet" and someone in the room says:
- "It's the quiet ones you gotta watch".
This sounds like a very dangerous assumption to me. I will bet you anything that while you're watching someone quiet a noisy one will fucking kill you. Suppose you're in a bar and one guy's sitting over to the side reading a book, not bothering anybody. Another guy walks in with a machette banging on the bar screaming:
- "I'LL KILL THE NEXT MOTHER FUCKER WHO COMES IN HERE!!"...who you gonna watch?

Exchange reading a book for playing a PSP or DS for better thread context.