#1 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

Hopefully East Coast news correspondent Alex Navarro (@alex) will have more to add after today on this exciting story.

I know we all enjoyed a full year of our favorite Nintendo character, Luigi, and people just couldn't wait for another great year with a likewise affable video game mascot.

Well buckle up, and get ready for a ..sonic boom.. because 2014 is

THE YEAR SONIC

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

WHY CAN'T IT BE THE YEAR OF YAKUZA INSTEAD, HUH SEGA?!

#3 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@yummylee said:

I liked the last one but I just don't know how well they sell in America. You know, silly gaijin can't understand honor and dignity.

#4 Posted by Korwin (2831 posts) -

Sweet Jesus...

#5 Edited by TheHT (10929 posts) -

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19c35oidyf35igif/original.gif

#6 Posted by Wolfgame (695 posts) -

Sounds like it will be a great year, sonic waited his turn for luigi's year to wrap up, now it's his turn ;-)

#7 Edited by Noblenerf (311 posts) -

Knuckles, no! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU?!

#8 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

He's got a tail now.

#9 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

This is the worst year of my life.

#10 Edited by falserelic (5334 posts) -

SONIC BOOM! He's not just saving the city, he's saving the world, nah fuck that he's saving the UNIVERSE!

#11 Posted by edsone (220 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Or, even better, year of Shenmue! lol

#12 Edited by TERMINATOR_FAN (25 posts) -

YES.........................IM LOVING THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 Posted by Vinny_Says (5691 posts) -

Man....if the opposite of Year of Luigi happened and all of a sudden SEGA had enough money to start making consoles again and they release the Dreamcast 2 the entire gaming community would implode.

just imagine...Powerstone, Shenmue, Jet Set, all them crazy franchises revived.

#14 Posted by csl316 (8170 posts) -

Hell yeah, Sonic. Sonic CD was really good, man!

#15 Edited by crithon (3081 posts) -

If only this means the end of Sonic, forever. His farewell tour.... and not some clever marketing to make something happen that isn't really there.

#16 Posted by probablytuna (3550 posts) -

"Kill him Luigi... Kill him."

#17 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7056 posts) -

Man....if the opposite of Year of Luigi happened and all of a sudden SEGA had enough money to start making consoles again and they release the Dreamcast 2 the entire gaming community would implode.

#18 Posted by Andorski (5203 posts) -

I'd rather have Sega release those games on existing platforms.

#19 Posted by benspyda (2030 posts) -

I'm sure it will go as well for them as the Year of Luigi was for Nintendo.

#20 Posted by Hailinel (23963 posts) -

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:

I liked the last one but I just don't know how well they sell in America. You know, silly gaijin can't understand honor and dignity.

I recall reading somewhere that Yakuza 4 sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 units in North America (which is garbage), though I could be wrong about that as it's been a long while and I don't know where that specific information came from, even if I am remembering it correctly.

#21 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

just stop, your going to make me cry.... sniff sniff..... zombies revenge, oh god, now the tears are coming.

#22 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

@crithon: it's all possible in the year of Sonic my friend!

#23 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5268 posts) -

...then god help us.

#24 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (529 posts) -

I don't know, maybe... maybe this will be the one, you know? I mean, if the trailer looks really good, and they're listening to the fans... it might be the return of Sonic for real you guys.

I mean, Sonic can't be terrible forever, right? Right?

#25 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -
#26 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

No thank you !

#27 Posted by afabs515 (1014 posts) -

The year of Luigi was amazing, so the year of Sonic will be at least as good, amirite

#28 Posted by 49th (2697 posts) -

Maybe people will finally appreciate the true majesty of Sonic this year.

#29 Edited by Yummylee (21295 posts) -

I do hope that they maybe release a new Sonic All-Stars kart racing game. That right there could potentially already make this 'year of sonic' thing a resounding success for me.

#30 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

@yummylee said:

YUKUZA 5 LOCALIZED BY ATLUS!!!!!

RIGHT?!?!!?

PLEASE SEGA???

please....... :'(

#31 Posted by JackSukeru (5906 posts) -

@humanity said:

@noblenerf said:

He's got a tail now.

He's always had that tail, I'm not sure why it happens but I forget about it too.

I think Knuckles redesign is both weird and hilarious, so many Sonic characters are basically the same size with the same proportions so maybe mixing that up was the main thing they were going for with these redesigns. I wonder if this'll stick or if they will be cracking jokes about it when they get around to making the equivalent of Generations 2 or something. Knuckles size specifically is such a weird thing to go and drastically change after, however many years he's been a part of the franchise.

#32 Posted by Humanity (8861 posts) -

Only greatness awaits from our favorite blue-dood-with-a-tude

#33 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3576 posts) -

Isn't Powerstone Capcom?