#1 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

Reading so many people saying how they feel awkward about getting sad or crying over ryan because they never met him, don't.

There are a lot of people that you've met that you don't know half as well as Ryan. Our lives will go on and certainly none of us are affected in the way any of the Giant Bomb crew, his family, or his friends are, but it doesn't make what you feel less valid.

Let it out, duders. Just don't forget that he would still want to be making people smile.

#2 Posted by revolve (28 posts) -

@spudbug said:

Reading so many people saying how they feel awkward about getting sad or crying over ryan because they never met him, don't.

There are a lot of people that you've met that you don't know half as well as Ryan. Our lives will go on and certainly none of us are affected in the way any of the Giant Bomb crew, his family, or his friends are, but it doesn't make what you feel less valid.

Let it out, duders. Just don't forget that he would still want to be making people smile.

Agree completely.

#3 Posted by VACkillers (1059 posts) -

Still in shock myself... it has not been a good year for this stuff...

#4 Posted by Itwongo (1122 posts) -
@spudbug said:

Put it together better than I possibly could have. Well done :)

#5 Posted by LinuxScouser (90 posts) -

I think what helps is knowing so many others are feeling the same way. I think it's why I've spent so much time reading the forums these past couple of days. I don't normally frequent them, I've never contributed much. Just pay for membership cause I want to support these guys and watch the videos/listen to the podcast. However since this all happened, this has just been a great place for me to make the few comments I feel like making, and just seeing that I'm not alone in having these feelings. These guys have a big part in my life, I hear from them so often that it's impossible for me to not be attached to them. I felt so sad knowing I wouldn't see Patrick on screen with these guys for awhile...and now with Ryan. Gah...

#6 Posted by Bucketdeth (8004 posts) -

Losing someone you love hurts and we all loved Ryan whether we met him or not. I broke down when I heard he had died and didn't even want to go to work. Afterwards I jumped on the forums and twitter and had seen the immense response from the community and I'm fucking glad this whole thing has brought us together, it really shows how influential Ryan was, he was truly one of the good guys and we will never forget him.

#7 Posted by Beforet (2912 posts) -

Preach, bro

#8 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3748 posts) -

Agreed. If you feel this way, then that's how you feel anyways. Figure out why maybe but obviously a lot of people feel this way.

In my opinion, radio and then now podcasting or quick looks or most of what the Giant Bomb guys do is the most personal form of entertainment. I have radio shows I've listened to for a long time and if something terrible happens to those people (it has) then you can feel it. There is a personal connection if you are really into their work and identify with it.

#9 Posted by On1inepersona (119 posts) -

*bawls*

this is why I love Giantbomb and the community even more.

#10 Posted by ThePickle (4153 posts) -

Totally. Especially considering most people point out that his wife and family are going through way rougher stuff. But that fact doesn't remove the fact that we all have a lot of fond memories of Ryan and will miss him terribly.

#11 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

I feel awful because Ryan is dead, but I feel even worse because I just keep thinking about how his newlywed wife Anna and dad Mr Richard Davis and his whole family must be feeling...

#12 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I just feel, well, weird. If I felt like it impacted me enough to cry, then I would, but as an Internet person who never met him it's natural it won't take that much of a toll on me, it is by no means a knock against him.

Seeing the article on the front page is still incredibly jarring however.

#13 Posted by marcusofadown (56 posts) -

I'm listening to the new bombcast right now and I'm only ten minutes in, but I can just feel in my gut that I won't be able to hold my shit together... It's weird, but I have come to accept it. Ryan was our friend and we all miss him like crazy.

#14 Posted by mpgeist (594 posts) -

@zaccheus said:

I feel awful because Ryan is dead, but I feel even worse because I just keep thinking about how his newlywed wife Anna and dad Mr Richard Davis and his whole family must be feeling...

This is what gets me. It breaks my heart.

#15 Posted by marcusofadown (56 posts) -

Also - As I watch all of these Ryan videos I've been watching endlessly since the news of his passing, I still crack up at the sight of them or hearing his funny as all of fuck-comments. I don't really feel sad when I watch them, because they will be there to preserve his memory, his legacy, forever. Goddamn, the man still entertains us even after his death.

#16 Posted by smokingdeck (25 posts) -

I agree whole-heartedly. When a man can make so much of an impression on so many people, that his death brings forth so much emotion, it shouldn't be looked at as something weird, but as something amazing, and something that most people, most celebrities, will never be able to do.

I've had many celebs and music artist that I have been a fan of pass away, but I've never shed a tear for one until today, and cried as much as I would for any friend passing away that I know in real life. ( I know he isn't really what you would call a "celeb", but you know what I mean.)

#17 Posted by Twisted (165 posts) -

This is the first time I've said anything about this here. I made a small post on a gamespot board yesterday expressing my shock, but that has been it. I felt this way too. That feeling so upset about someone I didn't know was a bit strange. It's not as if I haven't felt it before though. The death of Ronnie James Dio a few years ago hurt. The death of Slayer's Jeff Hanneman a few months ago hurt more. But this has been much more painful. Giant Bomb has been a part of my life for 4 - 5 years and never has it been more so in the last 2 years or so. I listen to each podcast, I watch every video and I just became a premium member a few months ago so I've had even more content. These guys have been a huge part of my life the last couple of years. Giant Bomb content takes up a heap of my time every week and I have loved every minute of it. To think that one of them is gone now (and it's not even that he just moved away, but that he is gone for good) is still damn unfathomable to me.

I haven't quite had the exposure to them for as long as many here have either. I only started using Gamespot in late 2006 but then it was mainly the forums I would use and I would only read reviews and news. I didn't listen to the podcasts or watch the other stuff back then. It wasn't until Giant Bomb started that I began knowing who these guys were. So I've kind of felt that I don't quite fit saying that I feel so sad about it when other people have known of the guy for longer than I have. But I guess that doesn't really matter, because I have still been feeling incredibly down about it. And I'd like to thank you for making this thread OP, as it has been a little comforting.

Even more comforting was listening to the podcast. Which I just did. I haven't cried about this at all. It's 8pm here in Australia and it was yesterday morning when I woke up that I read the news. So I've gone almost 36 hours without being able to really express my feelings and after listening to the podcast I finally feel that I can put it all into words. I finally had tears in my eyes in the last 10 minutes of the podcast. I think all the stories and hearing the guys talk about Ryan allowed it to finally sink in and for me to come to terms with it. I looked at the photo of the empty chair again which I had already seen and suddenly my eyes began to well up and the final few minutes had me crying.

So TLDR, I've gone for quite a while not knowing how to express myself on this and the podcast really helped. So did this thread in letting me feel okay about it too.

Also, I've never been much a part of this community as you can tell from my post count, but I've been reading a lot of stuff on here the last day and a half. It has been so great to read, and I feel like I should be around more often. I always knew that Giant Bomb had an amazing community, but it's really showing through in light of this sad time. We will all miss Ryan so bad. It's going to be a tough time, but if you haven't listened to the podcast yet, I urge you to, it will make you feel better about everything just listening to the guys speak.

#18 Edited by nutta27 (197 posts) -

I felt really weird when I read the news. Not upset but definitely down. Then during the podcast while Patrick was talking about something as small as the child of Eden quick look I started welling up.

It's amazing to see how people have reponded to the news. Well done GB community.

#19 Posted by Dessan (16 posts) -

I've been following these guys over a decade now. To be honest i've never felt like this before becouse of a loss, i don't know what this says about me but frankly i don't care. These guys mean a lot to me. At the same time i'm really happy to see that a lot more people fell like i do. They're doing something special and hopefully will continue to this. Be strong duders.

#20 Posted by Abendlaender (2762 posts) -

I was so reliefed to see that a lot of people here were not only crying but seem confused that they are crying. It really helps cause otherwise I would have felt weird. But fuuuuuck I listened to this man for 5 years (even longer if you count GameSpot). Every week. 2-3 hours. That's about 650 hours. That is a month. And not counting any video content.

#21 Posted by Winterstrike (59 posts) -

@spudbug said:

Thanks for this post. I'm so shocked and speechless. I didn't realize before how much attached I was to Ryan and the Giantbomb crew. I still can't believe it guys.

#22 Posted by Ragnar (89 posts) -

The podcast really helped me put it in perspective. I teared up at the end. Hearing Jeff talk about their early lives, I don't think I can name a person who had such a fun, fulfilling life as Ryan. If I can accomplish what he has the the time I'm twice his age, I will feel blessed.

I know it's hardly a consolation but I feel like he truly went out on top. The pinnacle of his career, after travelling the world in his youth, spending years having fun with his friends and a decade of love from Anna, in his sleep while still in the glow of his honeymoon. The only greater time I could think of would be in his 80's dosing off after watching his grandkids playing the PS7 and going on an Andy Rooneyesque rant about games back in his day.

#23 Edited by tread311 (352 posts) -

It's a new thing. Leave it to a Giant Bomb member to be on the cutting edge but this is the first time many of us have experienced the loss of an "internet personality" and it's a weird feeling. It's kind of awkward to explain to people as for most it's more intimate than a normal celebrity death.

#24 Posted by Brushie_Tundra (22 posts) -

@mpgeist: That really got to me too, until I heard or read somebody make this point. He got to see all the people he loved right before he died. They also got to see him. It was an amazingly happy event and everyone had a great time. So often with a sudden death the people left living never got to see their loved one, or ended on bad terms. The last memory most will have is Ryan deleriously happy, and in love, on his wedding day. That is way more than a lot of people ever get. I'm terribly sad for Anna. I'm terribly sad for his family and friends. My deepest most heartfelt condolences to them and all of you in the community.

Just hugs your friends today. And every day.

Thanks Ryan. I owe you more than I could have ever repaid.

MK