• 81 results
Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Hizang

Has there ever been a thing that you started playing when the game went mainstream and really popular?
Call of Duty for me

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Chris2KLee

I guess Halo? It's never been my favorite series, but the hype was enough to sell me a copy of Halo 2 and an Xbox.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By FreakAche

When did CoD go mainstream? CoD 4? Do I get to say that I liked CoD before it was cool? :P

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Xbox 360. Regretted it straight away.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NekuSakuraba

@FreakAche said:

When did CoD go mainstream? CoD 4? Do I get to say that I liked CoD before it was cool? :P

Sure! Rub it in their faces.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I don't buy games because they went mainstream, i buy them based on reviews and/or really cool gameplay footage...that can often be misleading.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By cornbredx

I buy a game because it's interesting to me, not because of it going "mainstream" or being popular.

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aronman789

Doing anything due to the popularity rate of something is stupid.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Kyreo

@SeriouslyNow said:

Xbox 360. Regretted it straight away.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

Team Fortress 2, kinda. I downloaded it, discovered that I'd be looking at single digit framerates for quite some time, and then uninstalled it for the time being.

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fenixrevolution

Final Fantasy, I didn't have any interest in them until FF VII was a huge hit.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By N7

Drugs. Gotta say, I wasn't interested until that Pablo Escobar incident. But man, Cocaine is entertainment that the whole family can enjoy!

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BraveToaster

We join things all the time due to their popularity and we don't even notice.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Axxol said:
Prove it.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

I think Knights of the Old Republic helped bring RPGs to the mainstream. It was my first real RPG. I felt intimidated by RPGs up until that point.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BraveToaster
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Axxol said:
Prove it.
Prove otherwise.
hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By hockeymask27

What if I liked cod finest hour on the gamecube? it was my first cod.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bybeach

I don't know about mainstream or not, but COD 1 and 2 rocked. Some pretty good expansion packs if I remember right also. I think I was(and for the most part still am) deadset against pure military shooters, but there was something so unconditionally frenetic and sometimes just overwhelmingly loud with COD. You could not hear anything over the wizzing of bullets and such, and that actually worked.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Axxol said:
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Axxol said:
Prove it.
Prove otherwise.
You're the one who stated it as fact. The onus is on you to back your statement with fact. 

But my proof is myself, as I can't recall anything I've done that was because of popularity at all.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BraveToaster
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Axxol said:
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Axxol said:
Prove it.
Prove otherwise.
You're the one who stated it as fact. The onus is on you to back your statement with fact.  But my proof is myself, as I can't recall anything I've done that was because of popularity at all.
And here's a cookie.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Axxol said: 

And here's a cookie.

I'm not proud of that fact. I'm stating it to prove your all-encompassing statement is false and baseless.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Claude

@bybeach said:

I don't know about mainstream or not, but COD 1 and 2 rocked. Some pretty good expansion packs if I remember right also. I think I was(and for the most part still am) deadset against pure military shooters, but there was something so unconditionally frenetic and sometimes just overwhelmingly loud with COD. You could not hear anything over the wizzing of bullets and such, and that actually worked.

I agree. Call of Duty was a huge success with the mainstream video game player. I played it on the PC and enjoyed the crap out of it. Call of Duty 2 was even better.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

TF2 on Steam. I LOVE TF2 on the 360 but I was always intimidated by the PC version (my PC's not good enough, can't handle mouse and keyboard, too far behind the pros online, etc.). When it went free I said "What the Hell". Most of my fears were justified, I am terrible, but it is still one Hell of a good time!

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm very antisocial and i think people suck. They enjoy lame jokes, lame conflicted lives, lame everything .. The way they socialize is boring and stupid, the concept of partying and hanging out is such a waste of time, and they spend money on the wrong things.
 When something is popular, it means that it attracts many people whom i would dislike in real life. That's a good indicator that i'm gonna hate it, and i was always right... 

I liked GTA and Assassin's Creed before i realized they were popular, so they don't count. I like Battlefield games because they had a dedicated fanbase that appreciated the developer's work, and now look at Battlefield 3, it got popular and the developer started catering to the fucking masses and losing their own touch

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EuanDewar

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I'm very antisocial and i think people suck. They enjoy lame jokes, lame conflicted lives, lame everything .. The way they socialize is boring and stupid, the concept of partying and hanging out is such a waste of time, and they spend money on the wrong things. When something is popular, it means that it attracts many people whom i would dislike in real life. That's a good indicator that i'm gonna hate it, and i was always right... I liked GTA and Assassin's Creed before i realized they were popular, so they don't count. I like Battlefield games because they had a dedicated fanbase that appreciated the developer's work, and now look at Battlefield 3, it got popular and the developer started catering to the fucking masses and losing their own touch

hahahah You crack me up Ahmad! So rye!

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a weird thing to do, especially knowingly.

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dungbootle

Your mom

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By craigbo180
@FluxWaveZ said:
@Axxol said: 

And here's a cookie.

I'm not proud of that fact. I'm stating it to prove your all-encompassing statement is false and baseless.
It's sort of impossible to prove though, he is saying that people will want to partake in things because they are popular and not even realize that is the reason or not think about it that way, if you don't think of it that way of course you wouldn't remember it. Usually things are popular because they are the most efficient way of doing a thing, like driving a car. You don't need to drive a car but most people do because it is the popular consensus that driving a car is easier than riding a bike or using public transport. There has never been in an instance in your life where a TV show or movie has been so popular that everyone was telling you to go see it and you did even though you were not sure you would like it. I also find it hard to believe that you haven't been influenced to buy a game based off of it's relative popularity. Of course I couldn't possibly prove any of this unless I came and observed you until I saw a clear example of it and then it would still only be opinion and not fact that it was popularity that was influencing you.
Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Loose
@EuanDewar said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

I'm very antisocial and i think people suck. They enjoy lame jokes, lame conflicted lives, lame everything .. The way they socialize is boring and stupid, the concept of partying and hanging out is such a waste of time, and they spend money on the wrong things. When something is popular, it means that it attracts many people whom i would dislike in real life. That's a good indicator that i'm gonna hate it, and i was always right... I liked GTA and Assassin's Creed before i realized they were popular, so they don't count. I like Battlefield games because they had a dedicated fanbase that appreciated the developer's work, and now look at Battlefield 3, it got popular and the developer started catering to the fucking masses and losing their own touch

hahahah You crack me up Ahmad! So rye!

I think you mean "wry". Also, I legitimately can't tell if Ahmad is serious.
benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By benpicko

PS3. I regret it.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EuanDewar

@Loose: Nope I meant Rye. Its a Simpsons reference, or Futurama, or South Park. At this point I really can't remember.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@craigbo180 said: 
It's sort of impossible to prove though,     
No, it isn't. Any psychological "fact" such as the one discussed can be supported with scientific research. If it's impossible to prove, it's most probably false.  

Usually things are popular because they are the most efficient way of doing a thing, like driving a car. You don't need to drive a car but most people do because it is the popular consensus that driving a car is easier than riding a bike or using public transport.

It's fact, just as you stated, that driving a car is more efficient than riding a bike or using public transport. It's not because it's a popular method of transportation that people drive cars, but it's because it's more efficient. I'd be extremely surprised to learn that most people who drive cars do so only because it's popular.
There has never been in an instance in your life where a TV show or movie has been so popular that everyone was telling you to go see it and you did even though you were not sure you would like it. I also find it hard to believe that you haven't been influenced to buy a game based off of it's relative popularity.
No to both of those. I watch a movie or buy a game because I think they'll appeal to me or because of critical acclaim, not because of popularity.
Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Loose
@EuanDewar: I thought that might be the case. God damn television comedies, one second they're brightening up your day and the next second they make you a spelling Nazi on the internets.
amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By amomjc

All mainstream does for me is make it easier for me to get into the product. I like playing with people and generally mainstream products have a large player base.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lukeweizer

Video Games.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

Everything, but more specifically World of Warcraft when it went F2P.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By vaiz
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
I'm very antisocial and i think people suck. They enjoy lame jokes, lame conflicted lives, lame everything .. The way they socialize is boring and stupid, the concept of partying and hanging out is such a waste of time, and they spend money on the wrong things. When something is popular, it means that it attracts many people whom i would dislike in real life. That's a good indicator that i'm gonna hate it, and i was always right...

I really hope for your sake that you're being a kidder.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By craigbo180
@FluxWaveZ said:
@craigbo180 said: 
It's sort of impossible to prove though,     
No, it isn't. Any psychological "fact" such as the one discussed can be supported with scientific research. If it's impossible to prove, it's most probably false.  

Usually things are popular because they are the most efficient way of doing a thing, like driving a car. You don't need to drive a car but most people do because it is the popular consensus that driving a car is easier than riding a bike or using public transport.

It's fact, just as you stated, that driving a car is more efficient than riding a bike or using public transport. It's not because it's a popular method of transportation that people drive cars, but it's because it's more efficient. I'd be extremely surprised to learn that most people who drive cars do so only because it's popular.
There has never been in an instance in your life where a TV show or movie has been so popular that everyone was telling you to go see it and you did even though you were not sure you would like it. I also find it hard to believe that you haven't been influenced to buy a game based off of it's relative popularity.
No to both of those. I watch a movie or buy a game because I think they'll appeal to me or because of critical acclaim, not because of popularity.
The new transformers movie has made over $500 million at the box office already and will probably surpass $600 million, I am pretty sure that a lot of people going to see that movie are doing so because of it's popularity. It is impossible for me to prove your personal thoughts and opinions and it is unreliable for you to say you are not influenced by popular opinion because firstly you have taken a clear side and therefore are less likely to change your opinion now regardless and secondly the point is that it would be a subconscious reaction, not you actively thinking I am going to check this out because of how popular it is! I am sure there is multiple things that influence every person due to there popularity I can certainly think of instances for myself and people I know personally.
sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sreya92
@SeriouslyNow: Wha? Why, it's easily the better platform for online games. Though I'll admit ps3 has better exclusives + blueray
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#40  Edited By citizenkane

@FreakAche said:

Yeah, you get to say it. You would sound like a pretentious douche, but you can say it. :P

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By thedj93

Part of the reason I was so excited for Inception was that everyone around me was excited for it for the same reasons as I was. So yeah, I buy into the hype occasionally, whenever I ever fit in. Which is rare.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@craigbo180: I think you better reread my previous comments, because it seems you think I said something to the effect "No one gets influenced by something's popularity", which I never said at all.
napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
@FluxWaveZ: You're such a rebel, bro. Why do you think you're on Giant Bomb in the first place? Don't be so naive. 'Popularity' also doesn't mean critical popularity. It can also mean popularity in a group of your friends and the like. Case in point: after constant acclaim from some close gamer friends, they finally convinced me to play System Shock 2, because it was popular among them and I didn't think I'd enjoy it. 

So yeah like I said, don't be so naive. It's more prevalent than you think.  

And also, everything  @craigbo180: said as well.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By DystopiaX

Not really. I mean I like things that are popular, but not because they became popular...I guess I'm just not much of a hipster, I can't see the trends before they happen lol.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MikkaQ

@Claude said:

I think Knights of the Old Republic helped bring RPGs to the mainstream. It was my first real RPG. I felt intimidated by RPGs up until that point.

I can agree with this. KOTOR definitely eased me into them. Morrowind too, and I think I played them both in 2003 actually, guess that's when western RPGs became viable to me. Now they're my favorite kind of RPG by a long shot. Though I'm still not good at 'em...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Napalm: What... First of all, why are you calling me a rebel? Is it rebellious to not be swayed by something's popularity? That sounds ridiculously close minded. 

And you giving me a personal anecdote of yourself doesn't prove anything in my case. Like I said, people like you can be affected by something's popularity and that's not a bad thing. But, case in point, I have no close friends so how could I possibly be convinced to try something like you have been? It's not cool to not join something because it's popular. It's not anything.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@sreya92 said:

@SeriouslyNow: Wha? Why, it's easily the better platform for online games. Though I'll admit ps3 has better exclusives + blueray

PC has the best online, period. I went to 360 because it seemed somewhat cost effective vs buying another GPU but in the end the games are all so shallow and the gameplay is really lacking (controls, player counts, maps size, lower framerate and mod support) compared to PC let alone the fact that graphics has moved on a lot from the 2006 era hardware which adorns the 360 and PS3. I do agree that the PS3 has much better exclusives.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HandsomeDead
@punkxblaze said:
@Ahmad_Metallic said:
I'm very antisocial and i think people suck. They enjoy lame jokes, lame conflicted lives, lame everything .. The way they socialize is boring and stupid, the concept of partying and hanging out is such a waste of time, and they spend money on the wrong things. When something is popular, it means that it attracts many people whom i would dislike in real life. That's a good indicator that i'm gonna hate it, and i was always right...
 I really hope for your sake that you're being a kidder.
He's never not serious.
The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Dude

Fallout, never played any of them till 3.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman

Isn't everything we do in some way tied to its popularity? We don't buy something because we've never heard of it. We buy it because someone said "Hey, this thing is really awesome."