It's 2011, and I'm playing DOOM.

PirateNipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By PirateNipple

If anyone bothers to take the time to read this, I thank you.

I've been using GiantBomb for a while now and have been thinking of a topic for my first blog post. A common topic for someone's first blog is what games they've been playing recently. I'll go down that road. I've been playing Red Dead Redemption and really enjoying it. I never got around to it last year and decided it was time to get to it. I've also been playing some Dirt 3 (which came out the day I'm writing this) and it's slick and really fun. I played through Torchlight again and am eagerly awaiting the sequel. The recent indie hit Terraria has taken some of my time as well. Most people, at first glance, are crying "Minecraft ripoff!" and moving on, and while there are some easy comparisons to make, they're very different games. Boiled down, Terraria is more about (or, at least more open to) combat and loot, while Minecraft provides more of a canvas for you to create things in. 

I find it interesting, considering how good these "current" games are, that I've also been playing some DOOM. I'd say it's a safe bet that, apart from World of Warcraft (and maybe Diablo II), I've played DOOM (including DOOM II and Final DOOM) more than any other game.

Specifically, right now I'm playing through No Rest For the Living, a 9-level episode included with the XBLA version of DOOM II. It was made exclusively for the XBLA release, and it's pretty good. I played through it first last summer, when it came out, and am running through it again now. It's not mind-blowing or anything ridiculous like that, but I think the level design and style (the looks and architecture) are pretty sharp. It stands in somewhat stark contrast to the original DOOM II level set that it was released with. If you have the means, you should try it out. DOOM II XBLA is only 800 Microsoft space points, $10. I think my favorite map is map 5, Vivisection. I really dig the look and design.

After this, I'm planning on playing through both Final DOOM episodes, doing TNT first followed by Plutonia. Part of me thinks TNT is really boring, but there are some really good levels. After that, I might try playing Plutonia 2 again, after quitting on the Arch-vile map. If you didn't know, Plutonia 2 is a fan-made sequel to Plutonia, with a very similar look and style. It's pretty good, but hard. You can find it here: http://www.rabotik.nl/pluto2.html

With the exception of having to play No Rest For the Living on my 360, I play DOOM through ZDoom, one of the more common and popular source ports. It's really easy to get set up and running. When I play through TNT and Plutonia, I plan on doing so using Re-Doom. Re-Doom is a mod that includes some pretty slick weapon animations and other effects, and adds some flair to the regular DOOM games. It has to be loaded on-top of an IWAD, such as DOOM I (Ultimate DOOM), DOOM II, TNT, or Plutonia. If you wanted to use it in conjunction with a custom level set, you'd have to edit them together into one wad file, as far as I know. Check it out here, it's really neat: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26656

That about wraps it up for now. Again, if anyone bothered to read this, you have my thanks, and I'd love it if you left a comment.

PirateNipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PirateNipple

If anyone bothers to take the time to read this, I thank you.

I've been using GiantBomb for a while now and have been thinking of a topic for my first blog post. A common topic for someone's first blog is what games they've been playing recently. I'll go down that road. I've been playing Red Dead Redemption and really enjoying it. I never got around to it last year and decided it was time to get to it. I've also been playing some Dirt 3 (which came out the day I'm writing this) and it's slick and really fun. I played through Torchlight again and am eagerly awaiting the sequel. The recent indie hit Terraria has taken some of my time as well. Most people, at first glance, are crying "Minecraft ripoff!" and moving on, and while there are some easy comparisons to make, they're very different games. Boiled down, Terraria is more about (or, at least more open to) combat and loot, while Minecraft provides more of a canvas for you to create things in. 

I find it interesting, considering how good these "current" games are, that I've also been playing some DOOM. I'd say it's a safe bet that, apart from World of Warcraft (and maybe Diablo II), I've played DOOM (including DOOM II and Final DOOM) more than any other game.

Specifically, right now I'm playing through No Rest For the Living, a 9-level episode included with the XBLA version of DOOM II. It was made exclusively for the XBLA release, and it's pretty good. I played through it first last summer, when it came out, and am running through it again now. It's not mind-blowing or anything ridiculous like that, but I think the level design and style (the looks and architecture) are pretty sharp. It stands in somewhat stark contrast to the original DOOM II level set that it was released with. If you have the means, you should try it out. DOOM II XBLA is only 800 Microsoft space points, $10. I think my favorite map is map 5, Vivisection. I really dig the look and design.

After this, I'm planning on playing through both Final DOOM episodes, doing TNT first followed by Plutonia. Part of me thinks TNT is really boring, but there are some really good levels. After that, I might try playing Plutonia 2 again, after quitting on the Arch-vile map. If you didn't know, Plutonia 2 is a fan-made sequel to Plutonia, with a very similar look and style. It's pretty good, but hard. You can find it here: http://www.rabotik.nl/pluto2.html

With the exception of having to play No Rest For the Living on my 360, I play DOOM through ZDoom, one of the more common and popular source ports. It's really easy to get set up and running. When I play through TNT and Plutonia, I plan on doing so using Re-Doom. Re-Doom is a mod that includes some pretty slick weapon animations and other effects, and adds some flair to the regular DOOM games. It has to be loaded on-top of an IWAD, such as DOOM I (Ultimate DOOM), DOOM II, TNT, or Plutonia. If you wanted to use it in conjunction with a custom level set, you'd have to edit them together into one wad file, as far as I know. Check it out here, it's really neat: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26656

That about wraps it up for now. Again, if anyone bothered to read this, you have my thanks, and I'd love it if you left a comment.

Xdsk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xdsk

I agree with you about DOOM man, i find myself going back to my gaming roots from time to time, to see how far games have moved on and give some love to the classics.
I recently re-installed Dungeon Keeper and have picked up a copy of Marathon:Durandel from XBLA im finding them extremely difficult to tear myself away from.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

Hell yeah it's 2011 and you're playing Doom.  I try to play through it once a year.  At least the first episode.  I love Doom.

PirateNipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By PirateNipple
@JasonR86 said:
Hell yeah it's 2011 and you're playing Doom.  I try to play through it once a year.  At least the first episode.  I love Doom.
I end up playing at least some episode or level set around once a year. Doom is ubiquitous for me, I've always had a shortcut to zDoom on my desktop on every PC I've owned. It's super easy to just pick up and play for 5 minutes before work or whatever.
markem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By markem

Hey duder, it's 2012, I hope you're still playing Doom. I'd love to hear what you think about the new Doom 3 stuff that's coming out. I played through Doom 2 on XBLA and recently went through Doom 1 when it was re-released and am currently watching Breaking Brad's Doom conclusion.

Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Masakari

Also been playing DooM - specifically, I was playing DooM II on XBLA when I lost my saves and decided to just start fresh on PC with zDooM and DooM 1.

There really isn't anything on PC quite like the DooM games. More than just being linear, shooters have largely evolved into a totally different direction - story and script based, as opposed to DooM's sandbox approach.

Curiously, the more I think about it the more I conclude that the Halo series is the closest to a "modern DooM" that we have in terms of gameplay, as it promotes sandbox style combat with lots of enemies that have interesting interactions and strategies with the player and each other. Of course, then it also has more linear indoor design, a storyline, vehicles, etc. But it's the only series that even remotely makes me feel like when I play DooM.

Do you feel that a new, DooM-style FPS would be successful in 2012? Something with the more abstract just-for-fun level design, secrets, key hunting, enemies that require different strategies, "mobility as defense" instead of tank-style resistance, with updated graphics, and a basic plot but little to no cutscenes or rail sequences.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

@Masakari said:

Do you feel that a new, DooM-style FPS would be successful in 2012? Something with the more abstract just-for-fun level design, secrets, key hunting, enemies that require different strategies, "mobility as defense" instead of tank-style resistance, with updated graphics, and a basic plot but little to no cutscenes or rail sequences.

We'll know soon enough: http://www.riseofthetriad.net

(and I truly hope the answer is yes... I've been waiting forever for a new ROTT)

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jams

5 minutes ago I bought DOOM 64 on Ebay. So, it seems a lot of us are having a bit of DOOM fever.

Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Masakari

@ShaggE said:

@Masakari said:

We'll know soon enough: http://www.riseofthetriad.net

(and I truly hope the answer is yes... I've been waiting forever for a new ROTT)

Yeah, I'm curious about that. But, even though I played alot of ROTT and have fond memories of the game, it was never even close to being as big as DooM, and (this is the important part) this is a remake. I'm talking about a new, DooM-style game but an original IP, without the nostalgia of an old IP attached to it.

Personally, I think there would be a market for that, but I don't know about the budget it would require in terms of players' expectations. Doing a DooM-style game with, say, "Crysis / CoD / BF3 graphics" would be a surefire way to go bankrupt due to the cost. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think it would be successful, but needs to be a smaller scope project.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Phatmac

DOOM!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShaggE

@Masakari: I'm sure it would work, but I think the safe bet would be to go 2.5D with it. Even the best old-school shooters with modern graphics feel weirdly off, and I think the graphics are a part of that. There's just something about the aesthetics that go hand in hand with the gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I play Doom and Doom 2 on my 360 all the time. Wish more people played online though. Maybe after Doom 3 BFG comes out.

PirateNipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better late than never:

@mark said:

Hey duder, it's 2012, I hope you're still playing Doom. I'd love to hear what you think about the new Doom 3 stuff that's coming out. I played through Doom 2 on XBLA and recently went through Doom 1 when it was re-released and am currently watching Breaking Brad's Doom conclusion.

Couldn't care less about the Doom 3 re-release. I loved it when it came out but I've never had the desire to go back to it.

@masakari said:

Not quite the same thing but I think people enjoyed the Serious Sam remakes or re-releases a few years ago. I'd rather just play Doom though, there are always new community-created WADs to play through.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Don't blame you, DOOM still kicks ass. It's one of those things that just feels good to play. Have you tried out Brutal DOOM?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Doom just a few days ago. Still awesome.

btsjigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one title I wish would take the Mega Man 9/10 approach... release new games with the same look and feel as the first two.

PirateNipple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@btsjigs said:

This is one title I wish would take the Mega Man 9/10 approach... release new games with the same look and feel as the first two.

The next best thing is out there because Doom still has an active mapping community. A good start is doomworld.com's Cacowards which round up some of the best community map packs from the year.

btsjigs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By btsjigs

@piratenipple: Oh nice! thanks for the heads up man, will def. be checking that out.