It's a vidya game king of the ring! / (which game should I play first?)

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By theodacourt

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By theodacourt

Vote for your favourite!?

I'm the type of guy who doesn't always finish games and the ones I do I will often play multiple times. That craziness has got to stop. I'm pretty much finished with Skyrim until DLC comes out and I'm halfway through a few other games but when I've finished the one that I'm playing now I need another game to really get involved with so I actually finish it. Initially I was just looking for a long RPG to replace Skyrim, but why should that matter? Right?

I'm going to finish a game or two by the weekend I expect so I'll choose the most popular at the time that I need to pick one up. When I'm done with that I'll choose the second maybe and so on and so on, until the amount of new games I have/want makes this list obsolete. I've played maybe 10/12 of the games above before to varying levels of completion and I might not restart from the beginning depending on where I'm up to. I have more games than this but these are one's that stick out to me that I want to play, so suggestions for ones off the list are welcome. Bear in mind that I have a few sports/online games that I already play also so I don't really need suggestions there, thanks though.

That about does it. Thanks duders!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Karl_Boss

Condemned: Criminal Origins is super good, I'll go with that.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

I picked Vanquish... because I love Vanquish.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#5  Edited By BeachThunder

Do you want me to vote for my favourite, or vote for what I think you should play first? Generally, I'd recommend a shorter game to start off with.

Anyway, my recommendation would be Darksiders, since DS2 is coming out soon.

In terms of favourites from that list?

• Alice 2
  • Dead Space
  • Far Cry 2
  • Hard Reset
  • Amnesia

Deus Ex 3 and Gemini Rue are pretty good too.

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By triviaman09

If you haven't played Dragon Age: Origins, and you like old school Baldur's Gate-esque RPGs, I would play that as soon as possible. It's a great game.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By CL60

Vampire the Masquerade. Amazing game.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By YI_Orange

Bayonetta or The Witcher. The the other one. Then the Witcher 2.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrKlorox

Way too many games. I stopped at STALKER. However you should play Call of Pripyat instead of Shadow of Chernobyl.

edit: Regardless of which STALKER you play first, just make sure you play one before playing Metro 2033; also with a mod such as COMPLETE.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher or Vampire, great games if a bit outdated but amazing immersion and story.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King

What the hell does this have to do with me?......Chronicles of Riddick.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Dark souls, Bayonetta or Vanquish.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

If you haven't played Bayonetta yet, you should do so immediately!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Justin258

A good rule of thumb when unsure what to start with in one's backlog is to pick up the one that will take you the least amount of time to beat, and then beat another short one, then a long one, then short, short, long, short, short, etc...

This is so that you can continue to keep feeling like you're chipping large blocks of it away instead of starting with a mega-RPG and doing nothing more than knocking little bits of it away. To that end, start with one of the shorter ones like Modern Warfare 3 or Bayonetta.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By CountRockula

That's a lot of very different games to have to choose from. I picked Psychonauts, just because I figure you should probably start by playing older games before they age even more.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By myniceicelife

Persona 3 FES is good, not as good as Persona 4, but still a great rpg to play. It is long though so if you don't normally finish games that may be a challenge. Otherwise Psychonauts and Bayonetta are great choices as well.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MrKlorox
@TaliciaDragonsong said:
The Witcher or Vampire, great games if a bit outdated but amazing immersion and story.
@CL60 said:
Vampire the Masquerade. Amazing game.
As long as you're talking about Bloodlines, then yes that's a great choice. Steer clear of Redemption though, as it does NOT hold up.
theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By theodacourt

@believer258: @BeachThunder: I completed QUBE and Tiny & Big: Grampa's Leftovers last weekend, both which took under two hours! I should be good on the short game thing, plus I have dear esther and two episodes of the walking dead to do which will help me break things up as well as online FIFA and BF3 which I play regularly. I think I'm only a couple of hours off finishing Crysis too.

@MyNiceIceLife: I played maybe 40 hours of P3 FES about a year ago but I got to a part in the story when nothing was happening and it was sheer levelling up relationships and stuff like that where it got kind of a bore. I loved up to then, but I've kinda forgotten it all. I'd probably not restart it but I don't know if it's worth carrying on, if the end game pay off is worth the grinding tedium that made me stop. I do plan to finish it eventually. After all I bought that and P4 because of the endurance run and I won't let myself play sequels before originals most of the time, just in terms of mechanical improvements if nothing else.

@MrKlorox: I only went with Shadow of Chernobyl because it was the first one. Don't they follow on from one another? Is the Complete mod just for Shadow of Chernobyl? And yes, it's Bloodlines.

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Slurpelve

Psychonauts, Because Its a pretty fine game!!!

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox
@theodacourt: Kinda, but not totally. The order of release was SoC, CS, then CoP. However the chronological order of the settings in the games are CS, SoC, then CoP. You don't play as the same character in any of the games, but SoC eventually leads into CoP near the end of CoP. However I don't think any of the major twists in SoC are revealed by CoP, except for maybe one at the very end; however SoC itself has a variety of endings that potentially conflict with what CoP considers the proper 'canon' of the story.

There is a version of COMPLETE for all three games, however it's mostly necessary for SoC, which is a buggy ugly underfeatured mess in pure vanilla form. CoP is actually just fine in vanilla form and the only mods you'd probably want to look at would be graphical mods. Here's a small list, and you can probably find more to look at through google. I played CoP in mostly vanilla so I can't really suggest many mods for it.

And if you choose VTM Bloodlines, there are unofficial/fan patches for it as well, which is basically what COMPLETE is for SoC except far fewer graphical updates.
Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ravenlight

Too many choices! Start at the top and work your way down.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By beargirl1

way too many choices, though i went with Just Cause 2. that game is nothing short of a spectacular time.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#23  Edited By Slag

@Ravenlight said:

this

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#24  Edited By Little_Socrates

I picked Final Fantasy VII 'cause fuck everybody else, that game is fucking awesome.

I would say Amnesia was my favorite on the list, but that would be a lie.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Top 3 are pretty solid. My vote went for Shadow of Chernobyl - with the complete mod.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By theodacourt

@Ravenlight said:

@AjayRaz said:

way too many choices, though i went with Just Cause 2. that game is nothing short of a spectacular time.

Way too many choices is precisely why I need help deciding. I face more than this if I just choose it myself! The list is completely random too and I pulled from everywhere in no particular order, and with the first 8 games being particularly long, I don't think it would make a good play list. People are voting though so that should do it! :D

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TwoLines

P3FES will take you dozens, upon dozens of hours. Do not play it first if you want to play anything else on that list.

rpgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rpgee

That's quite the backlog you have there.

But I put my vote in for Recettear. That game is way more awesome than it has any right to be, and it's actually somewhat different in concept to just about any game on there (I haven't read the entire list, but I can guess.) The dungeon-crawling stuff isn't too hot, but it's completely serviceable, and selling shit to people is kind of awesome.

Also I have a weird affection for high-pitched, ecstasy-filled Japanese girls shouting "いらしゃいませ!". Don't judge.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By JoeyRavn

That is a huge list, so start with Amnesia. When you finish it you'll probably not want to play any more games and, hopefully, not make any more lists.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By Morrow

@theodacourt:

Hmm, you've got a few good titles there. My vote went to Bayonetta because it's a fun and fast game for inbetweens. But don't miss out on Deus Ex: HR or Spec Ops: The Line for their great storylines.

I'm probably in a minority here, but I also recommend FF13 and 13-2. The graphics are beautiful and the combat is fun, imho.

Dragon Age: Origins is also worth a play, but can be rather time-comsuming if you got the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC...

Anyways, have fun with whatever you play! :)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Persona 3 will take you a loooong time to beat, but it will be worth it in the end.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32  Edited By impartialgecko

I'm voting Dark Souls to punish you for your indecision.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Jeust

Dead Space. I love that game!

sean2206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sean2206

I voted Dead Space I only got around to playing that now just about to finish it and I love it and it is genuinely really scary and really tense at times.

Other games on that list like Deus ex:HR, Dragon age: origins and Psychonauts are also really good games. I haven't played any other games on the list.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By theodacourt

So it seems like Persona 3 is winning. I just loaded it up and I'm 37 hours in at level 28, the date is 7/18, I've maxed courage and charm, an average of level 4 across my social links, I've finished 89 levels of Tartarus and I think Fuuka is the most recent character I've met. Does much happen after this? Or is it just...

I think I left this game because it told me what I needed to do and then weeks went by with nothing happening. How worth it is the story later on to carry on grinding now?

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By theodacourt

@theodacourt said:

So it seems like Persona 3 is winning. I just loaded it up and I'm 37 hours in at level 28, the date is 7/18, I've maxed courage and charm, an average of level 4 across my social links, I've finished 89 levels of Tartarus and I think Fuuka is the most recent character I've met. Does much happen after this? Or is it just...

I think I left this game because it told me what I needed to do and then weeks went by with nothing happening. How worth it is the story later on to carry on the grinding now?

Anybody? Please?

pandorasbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By pandorasbox

You should really pick for yourself. Nobody here can account for your taste in video games.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By theodacourt

@pandorasbox said:

You should really pick for yourself. Nobody here can account for your taste in video games.

True enough, but having more options makes choices more difficult as it becomes harder to parse larger amounts of information. I own all but three of the games already and maybe I'm not that excited for deadlight any more, but I have a wide taste in games and I know I'll enjoy all of them. Believe me when I say I have trimmed this list before hand. If I had a 40 sided coin/die then maybe that would have been a good way to decide. If I actually cared about the answer, or which one won, then I wouldn't have had to ask in the first place.