• 52 results
#1 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

and will use it for handheld gaming! i can't afford a 3ds or Vita as well. i have to buy an ipad as i'm traveling for a year

anyways,

can anyone recommend me some games that work great on the ipad? i never played Bastion, is that on there? i will get Superbrothers. shame i missed out on the steam sale! Walking Dead?

#2 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

Sword and Sworcery

Ghost Trick

Infinity Blade

And some more

#3 Edited by cosi83 (392 posts) -

ah yes, i completed Ghost Trick on the DS! fantastic game

Infinity Blade 2 i may check out, though i'm not really a fan of team Epic

#4 Edited by desolation15 (113 posts) -

I rely on appspy.com for my ios reviews.

100 Rogues is good if you enjoy lite roguelikes.

Kindom of Dragonpass is on iOS, youtube a lets play of it to see if it's up your alley.

Pac-man CE has missions for quick up and play but I don't remember if it's iphone only.

Flight Control

The Sandbox - free to play

Penny Parlor - again a niche game, I like having it on my pad so I can get frustrated with it from time to time.

League of Evil 1 and 2 - classic platform game with one of the best control on ios

Magic the Gathering

People not me liked the following

Jetpack Joyride

Super Cratebox - or something don't remember the name, okay game for a single afternoon

Edit: Midway, Capcom and Atari have collection apps that let you buy games by packs or piecemeal. I liked the Midway one the best but they're all kinda weak due to touch controls.

#5 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Infinity Blade is one of the most boring games I've played. I do not understand why people give that game any credit. Keep meaning to give it another chance but can't find the desire.

Kingdom Rush, Burnout Crash, Tiny Wings HD and Worms are all very enjoyable.

#6 Posted by Psycho_Rich (63 posts) -

Plants vs Zombies. I know it's on everything but iPad is the definitive version in my opinion.

Plague Inc is fantastically addictive.

Burnout Crash and Infinity Blade 1 & 2 are definitely worth a look also.

#7 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

iPad is utter balls. You're better getting a cheap 3DS at this point. Pick up a copy of Kingdom Hearts, Legend of Zelda or Super Mario Bros 2 if it comes out before you go and you'll be sorted.

Oh and do not even think about getting a PS VITA...Sony have basically given up on it already.

#8 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

Nobody has to buy an iPad because they're travelling. 

#9 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3786 posts) -

Not terrible at all. If you like tower defence type games Army of Darkness Defence and Kingdom Rush are both great. Also Fieldrunners 2 just came out, haven't gotten too far into it but the first Fieldrunners was awesome.

#10 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

@Psycho_Rich said:

Plague Inc is fantastically addictive.

I started playing this today. Perfect for my daily commute.

#11 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Have fun dropping 500$ for angry birds!

#12 Posted by Hunter5024 (5543 posts) -

I seem to remember the giantbomb guys talking about an ios game thats sort of like sim game designer. That sounded cool. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

#13 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

@Hunter5024 said:

I seem to remember the giantbomb guys talking about an ios game thats sort of like sim game designer. That sounded cool. Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

That would be Game Dev Story, it's great.

#14 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -

@ModerateViolence said:

@Hunter5024 said:

That would be Game Dev Story, it's great.

Kairosoft Co. have done a whole bunch of cute little management games for Android/iPhone. I think my favourite so far is Dungeon Village.

#15 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

i liked magic the gathering, only drawback is that its a 9.99 app WITH in app purchases.

99 cents to unlock full decks.

#16 Posted by RedCricketChase (443 posts) -

Angry Birds is a pretty fantastic little physics game.

#17 Posted by andriv (256 posts) -

couldn't you afford both the vita and 3ds for the prize of an ipad?

#18 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Not sure if you've already played it but you can try Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Supposedly the sequels are being ported over but I'm not sure when that will happen.

#19 Posted by Fearbeard (824 posts) -

Avoid anything that tries to use virtual buttons like a controller.

Stick with things that are designed around the iPad, and designed around a physical controller and then shoehorned on to the device.

Anomaly: Warzone Earth is a solid games. Basically reverse tower defense where you assign the routes of your units and try to take over an area.

100 Rogues is a good roguelike.

You already mentioned Superbrothers and should definitely check it out.

Infinity Blade 1 and 2 are solid Punch-Out style games with RPG aspects.

Ghost Trick was great on the DS and I imagine would be great on iPad as well since it mainly used simple touch controls.

Civilization Revolution is a decent Civilization game. Not as complex as the computer versions, but definitely still a good game.

My personal favorite developer is Kairosoft who has a great line of some lite sim games. Game Dev Story, MegaMall Story, Dungeon Village and Epic Astro Story are some of my favorites, but they have quite a few other games as well (Hot Springs Story, Pocket Academy, Grand Prix Story, etc...)

#20 Posted by Jeust (10478 posts) -
  • Dead Space
  • Mass Effect Infiltrator
  • Max Payne
#21 Posted by Humanity (8814 posts) -

Theres nothing terrible about an iPad. I think it's a superfluous gadget that's nice to have if you got the extra money lying around. I'd love to be able to get up on a Saturday morning and just browse some Giant Bomb and twitter on my iPad for an hour before getting out of bed - but I don't need that enough to splurge $500 on it.

If you got it man, enjoy it, I know I would!

#22 Posted by Nentisys (886 posts) -

@cosi83 said:

i have to buy an ipad as i'm traveling for a year

Erm, what? Ever heard of a laptop?

#23 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

Nothing terrible about buying an iPad, it's the best piece of electronics I have gotten the past year.

#24 Posted by cmblasko (1122 posts) -

Nothing wrong with purchasing an iPad; I would grab one as well if I had the expendable cash.

I'm pretty sure Street Fighter is on there. A handful of Final Fantasy games, too. Scribblenauts if you haven't already played it.

#25 Posted by ttocs (762 posts) -

This site is your new best friend:   http://toucharcade.com/ 

The forums on that site are the best forums on the net for iOS gaming.  A lot of people really take it seriously there and if you are going to use any iOS device for gaming, you'll fit right in there. 

#26 Posted by geirr (2476 posts) -

Kingdom Rush is awesome.

#27 Posted by AlisterCat (5482 posts) -

@Sooty said:

Infinity Blade is one of the most boring games I've played.

I feel that way about Doom and Super Mario Brothers.

BRING ON THE HATE

#28 Edited by stinky (1544 posts) -

damn, jet set radio is coming to ipad.

Also a game called "Organ Trail" a take off of Oregon Trail, but with you guessed it, zombies.

#29 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Soulcalibur is alright, if not a little overpriced

#30 Posted by BaneFireLord (2911 posts) -

Sid Meier's Pirates! is a wonderfully done port.

#31 Posted by Zenogiasu (192 posts) -

Someone already mentioned it, but it bears repeating: pick up Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney. Especially if you liked Ghost Trick! Congrats on the purchase, duder--nothing wrong with having a tablet handy. It's an entirely viable portable gaming platform.

#32 Posted by Venatio (4482 posts) -

@Jeust said:

• Dead Space
  • Mass Effect Infiltrator
  • Max Payne

These I also recommend, especially Dead Space

#33 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

@BaneFireLord said:

never heard of it, looks good.

why doesnt GB talk about this instead of whining about there being no new releases?

#34 Posted by DetectiveSpecial (464 posts) -

Why is everyone talking shit about the iPad? Laptops are great and all, but the advantage of having a battery that lasts eight hours instead of two is paramount when you're traveling. I just got back from Europe, and my tablet made the eight hour flights a little more bearable.

That being said, I voluntarily purchased a Sony Tablet S, so my opinion can't really be trusted.

#35 Posted by Zelyre (1127 posts) -

@stinky said:

@BaneFireLord said:

why doesnt GB talk about this instead of whining about there being no new releases?

Because people would whine about them talking about iOS games instead of splooging over the Vita.

#36 Posted by EVO (3864 posts) -

@Zelyre said:

@stinky said:

@BaneFireLord said:

Because people would whine about them talking about iOS games instead of splooging over the Vita.

People whine no matter what they do. I don't see why that should stop them from covering iOS.

#37 Posted by krazy_kyle (716 posts) -

Please god wait for microsoft surface at least

#38 Posted by Zidd (1838 posts) -

Grimrock is supposed to be coming out for iPad which would probably work fine.

#39 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

Games not yet mentioned here that are great or are extremely unique:

-Angry Birds Space. Significantly more fun than the original Angry Birds, some really nice experiments there.

-The Act. So much great craftsmanship, should probably convince the GB staff to do a QL. Don't watch the whole trailer if you're sold on it sooner than that.

-Squids/Squids Wild West. Sort of a marbles/tactics game. Personally, I didn't love it, but I know a lot of people who really, really enjoy it. I just didn't especially like the way the squids moves after you pulled them back; an iPad would definitely have helped, as I'm playing the game on an iPhone.

-Ziggurat. "Laser babes shooting robots." The first ever Bestie.

-Hero Academy. If you have a few friends on Facebook or Steam you can convince to play with you, this game is top of the line. Alternatively, Outwitters is available; I haven't really gotten the chance to play it yet.

-Dungeon Raid. It's a really clever puzzle game. I like it still.

-Tomena Sanner. If the review leaves you curious, check out the Quick Look.

#40 Edited by Jeust (10478 posts) -

the franchise Zenonia - free good dungeon crawlers rpg with interesting concepts like item and costume costumization

#41 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Dead Space

Tiny Wings HD

Cut The Rope HD

#42 Posted by StarvingGamer (8001 posts) -
#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14412 posts) -

Don't waste your money. I broke down and bought one for some crazy reason a month or so back and ended up taking it back for a refund a few days later. It's a terrible OS, a pain to find any apps worth playing on that terribly designed app store, it's heavy, and it's uses are very limited and can be done by other devices much better. Take that money and buy a good PC laptop and you will get a ton more use out of it.

The only useful thing I was able to do with it during my time was when I was in the middle of watching a video on GB and had to go take a shit. I was able to just pick up the device and take it in with me and pick up where I left off on the video. Nifty, but not worth the price tag. Plus I found the battery drained like a mofo.

#44 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

Nobody has to buy an iPad because they're travelling.

i have to for work, it's either that or a laptop

#45 Posted by cosi83 (392 posts) -

@andriv said:

couldn't you afford both the vita and 3ds for the prize of an ipad?

i'm not buying an ipad for gaming

#46 Posted by MethodMan008 (806 posts) -

I have an iPad 1 and I love it!

That said, I think iOS games are the WORST.

The only games I remotely enjoy on it are all ports. Ghost Trick is fantastic, PvZ is awesome as usual. I play the Street Fighter IV iOS game every now and then when I don't have access to a console...

I own like 100 iOS games, but Groove Coaster is the only native iOS game I legitimately enjoy.

#47 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

Magic 2013 is free to download. It's ten bucks to unlock the full game, but even if you have a slight interest in it, the content you get for free is worth checking out.

Plus it looks pretty with that fancy retina display.

I discovered this like yesterday too. I'm so happy it exists for iOS.

#48 Posted by Retronator (14 posts) -

Death Rally is also a well done port (almost like a sequel to the game).

#49 Posted by yoshisaur (2646 posts) -

Why does everyone think it's funny to say it's terrible they are buying an Apple product?

Anyway, @Fearbeard said:

Avoid anything that tries to use virtual buttons like a controller.

#50 Posted by MrKlorox (11206 posts) -

It's only terrible if you're buying an iPad that's not iPad3.