• 75 results
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2208 posts) -

Gonna record that video later today while I putz around in the midwest, so if you have any questions/comments/freakouts to share, drop 'em here! WARNING: LOTS OF SPOILERS.

#2 Posted by EnduranceFun (1109 posts) -

Should I like, play 999?

#3 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

What the hell is 999?

#4 Edited by BeachThunder (12403 posts) -
#5 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

What the hell is 999?

Nine seconds, nine minutes, nine days?

#6 Edited by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

One of my favorite things about the game was how there were clues and foreshadowing for just about every major revelation, and I really enjoyed being able to figure out a fair number of them in advance. So I'd really like to hear about what you were thinking as you played through the game, what your theories were and how they changed as you got further in.

Also, have you read the spoiler Q&A with the creator on Aksys' website?

#7 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

All of the story could have been avoided had Akane known how to play Sudoku.

Also, I'd rather this kinda thing if you finished VLR and could take about that at the same time. At least, you should do another one of these once you finish it.

#8 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Damn, still gotta play that game.

#9 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1741 posts) -

Did you feel the world around you change the second you flipped that DS upside-down? Does honey taste as sweet? Do birds sing as beautifully? Do sunsets still inspire awe?

It's all different now.

#10 Posted by Bocam (3821 posts) -

You should try reading the Infinity series. Zero Escape's spiritual precursor. It explains some of the things that happen in the latter parts of VLR better than VLR does.

Questions

1. What are your predictions for VLR's story
  2. What was your reaction to Clover being a psychopath? (the Axe ending)

3. Also have you seen the anime prologue for VLR?
#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Do I need to actually play the game to enjoy it? I'm about 1/4 through and am having a hard time sitting down and actually playing 999 despite liking what I've seen so far.

#12 Edited by Salarn (469 posts) -

How has 999 and VLR changed your opinion on visual novel games?

In the end did the slow and deliberate pacing of the visual novel gameplay improve or weaken the game experience?

When is your lost / jurassic park cross over visual novel game due out?

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Napalm

@Fredchuckdave said:

What the hell is 999?

Nine people, nine horses, nine boats
#14 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Napalm

@Fredchuckdave said:

What the hell is 999?

Nine girls, nine cups, nine fluids.

Fuck, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Goddamn it.

#15 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

Who will win the WWE Title? The Rock or CM Punk?

#16 Posted by Bocam (3821 posts) -

@Ravenlight: You'll have the same experience if you watch a playthrough. Though if it's the slow pace of the text that's putting you off, there are other ways to speed it up.

#17 Posted by ESREVER (2697 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

Gonna record that video later today while I putz around in the midwest, so if you have any questions/comments/freakouts to share, drop 'em here! WARNING: LOTS OF SPOILERS.

Yes! YESYESYES. This sounds awesome. Seeing this game finally get the attention it deserves on GB, whether positive or negative (hopefully positive) makes me extremely happy. I can't wait to watch/listen to it, Patrick!

#18 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Salarn said:

How has 999 and VLR changed your opinion on visual novel games?

mine is similar to his; has it inspired you to try out more? cause I think you would LOVE analogue: a hate story

#19 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -

@ESREVER: He's said he loves it in the Bombcast.

@Bocam: I dislike that prologue for how contradictory it is to one of the game's main twists. Looks cool, though.

#20 Posted by Mezmero (2058 posts) -

I thought I might get around to playing this game but I'd rather hear a spoilercast to save me some time and effort. I suppose I can contribute at least one question.

Do you think traditional adventure games could learn something from the design of visual novels or vice versa?

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Though if it's the slow pace of the text that's putting you off, there are other ways to speed it up.

Yep, I've already worked around that. I just haven't had the patience recently to sit down and finish playing. Planetside 2 has consumed most of my gaming time at the moment.

#22 Posted by Bocam (3821 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@Bocam said:

Though if it's the slow pace of the text that's putting you off, there are other ways to speed it up.

Yep, I've already worked around that. I just haven't had the patience recently to sit down and finish playing. Planetside 2 has consumed most of my gaming time at the moment.

It's not a long game, especially now that you have a work-a-round for the text speed.

#23 Posted by oldenglishC (1008 posts) -

I just started VLR. Looking forward to the continued adventures of frozen-hitchhiking-Cleopatra-mummy.

#24 Posted by Nasos100 (727 posts) -

@patrickklepek: about that podcast, am i gonna understand anything if i havent played the game?

#25 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

There should be a TWEWY spoilercast but I guess no one played it, lol.

#26 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

What's your favorite chocolate bar? Mine's Wunderbar.

#27 Edited by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

Another question... I liked the puzzles, and found them a nice break from all the reading. You, apparently did not. Do you think it would have been a better game without them? Wouldn't the game have been a harder sell in the west without them?

#28 Posted by HeroicYoshimitsu (2 posts) -

Who was your favorite character? I think mine might have been Ace.

What did you think of the Alice/ALL-ICE reveal at the very end of the game?

#29 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (619 posts) -

How do you feel about the way 999 utilized the DS's hardware to tell a story that could literally not be told anywhere else?

Personally, I know it blew my mind when I realized

the bottom screen narration was actually from the point of view of Zero nine years ago, and the top screen was the present, and they were both effectively happening simultaneously

But that, coupled with the way the game demands you to reach the bad endings to get to the true ending, makes it so this is a story that could literally not be told anywhere but video games as a medium. You could not put this into a book and have it be as effective as it is, which is highly impressive to me, and I think this game, maybe even more so than The Walking Dead, is a testament to the power of effective storytelling in videogames.

#30 Posted by Kieran_Smith5 (152 posts) -
#31 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

Why did you play this game

#32 Posted by SecondPersonShooter (619 posts) -

@Kieran_Smith5 said:

I wonder if this would replace playing the game so I could move onto Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

I would say don't do that, because in my personal opinion, 999 tells a much better and tightly knitted story than VLR, and the end-game of VLR for me was actually extremely disappointing.

I would honestly say if anything, play 999 and skip VLR. I'm interested to know how Patrick feels about VLR when he's done.

#33 Posted by Grimluck343 (1160 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Napalm

@Fredchuckdave said:

What the hell is 999?

...I'd play that game...

#34 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

Should I partake of this if I've only played through 999 once? I'm not sure I want to play through it multiple times, I didn't enjoy it much the first time around. 

#35 Posted by ESREVER (2697 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@ESREVER: He's said he loves it in the Bombcast.

Fantastic. I don't listen to the bombcasts, but that is excellent to hear.

#36 Edited by MikeRD (33 posts) -
@BlackLagoon said:

Also, have you read the spoiler Q&A with the creator on Aksys' website?

I'd say that Q&A with the writer is pretty much required reading if you've finished 999. Though, some of his answers really bother me, or I should say the end of that game in general bothers me where there are plotholes introduced down the stretch that the creator's answer is basically to shrug his shoulders and say, "Well maybe X happened, but that felt forced... so decide for yourself." The whole situation with Seven's memory and the way
really bothered me. Oh and the "Sudoku Puzzle of Doom" was also pretty laughable. 

I'm interested in knowing if VLR is worth a playthrough though despite the issues I had with 999 because there are still some really neat twists in 999 that are really cool when and how they're revealed.
#37 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

SUCK MY DICK!

#38 Posted by ApolloBob (570 posts) -

9 Monkeys, 9 Eggs, 9 Chevy Novas

#39 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

I'm, say, 3/5 done with VLR and I'm hyped for this.

#41 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Patrick you are my favorite Patrick.

#42 Posted by BlackLagoon (1460 posts) -

@MikeRD: It's sort of implied what the deal with Seven's memory was in Virtue's Last Reward. I expect it was something Uchikoshi didn't feel the need to decide upon until he got a chance to write VLR, a lot of writers work that way.

As for VLR... I think it explains what's going on quite well in the end, though some of it might stretch suspension of disbelief a bit for some. It does leave some central pieces open, but they're obviously intended for a sequel (which was just recently confirmed to have started development by Uchikoshi on twitter).

#43 Posted by crusader8463 (14428 posts) -

@LordXavierBritish said:

Patrick you are my favorite Patrick.

How dare you besmirch the great Patrick Stewart!

#44 Posted by MikeRD (33 posts) -
@PollySMPS said:
@MikeRD: I think VLR is totally worth the play if you've gone through 999. I think VLR is much better about getting its crazy revelations and moments that would seem like an ass-pull in the original game out the gate early. Despite how crazy VLR's story can get, they wrap it up in a satisfying manner. It's a bit ham fisted with its explanations, but I was entertained and am eager to see where the series goes from here.
@BlackLagoon said:

@MikeRD: It's sort of implied what the deal with Seven's memory was in Virtue's Last Reward. I expect it was something Uchikoshi didn't feel the need to decide upon until he got a chance to write VLR, a lot of writers work that way.

Well, I think that's enough to convince me to at least give VLR a try at some point. I don't have a 3DS, but plan to pick one up in the near future, and will likely get VLR along with it.
#45 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

But my copy hasn't even shipped yet!

#46 Posted by Bollard (5836 posts) -

@Napalm said:

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Napalm

@Fredchuckdave said:

What the hell is 999?

Nine nines, nine nuns, nine nudists.

#47 Edited by Dunchad (506 posts) -

@patrickklepek said:

I only have a Vita, so I can't play 999 without some major hi-jinks (like using the 3DS I bought for my nieces for Christmas every now and then). Should I still get VLR or will I be missing out on something?

#48 Edited by Winternet (8053 posts) -

Go crazy with it, tricky.

#49 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

I literally know nothing about this game besides what you discussed on the Bombcast. I'm also too indifferent to the game to look it up on Youtube, so go nuts and spoil the whole thing for me since I don't own/plan to play a 3DS game.

#50 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@djou said:

I literally know nothing about this game besides what you discussed on the Bombcast. I'm also too indifferent to the game to look it up on Youtube, so go nuts and spoil the whole thing for me since I don't own/plan to play a 3DS game.

999 is a DS game