• 117 results
#51 Posted by FakeKisser (366 posts) -

@jakob187: I saw that Gamestop bundle, but I may try to get the $150 3DS XL from Target and just buy Zelda separately to save even more money. :)

#52 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

Alright, folks! I've updated the thread with Walmart, Best Buy, and Target.

By "updated," I mean I took at least 15 minutes of pacing back and forth after reading that Walmart...WALMART...of all fucking places...

...is going to be the ONLY PLACE that has Grand Theft Auto V on sale this Black Friday. The shock within my system was goddamn paralyzing. How EVERY SINGLE OTHER PLACE dropped the ball on that shit is beyond me.

Moreover, I also spent a lot of time wading through Best Buy and Target's ads trying to figure a lot of shit out, like...what platforms things are on...or whether or not they were even worth posting.

Long story short: Target is fucking worthless this year. A goddamn travesty, as that place has ALWAYS been the frontrunner for the off-kilter deal that no one else had but everyone wanted as well as generally being a little cheaper. Walmart FUCKING BROUGHT IT this year. Those guys nailed it on the head. HAVE FUN AT THE RIOT ON THAT ONE!

#53 Edited by FakeKisser (366 posts) -
#54 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

@fakekisser: For $20 more, you can get the Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon bundle literally everywhere. Target's listing is a hot mess on the face of Brianna Banks at this point, and I have absolutely no urge to fuck with that ad because of how clumsily it was put together and how lame the sales overall even are.

#55 Posted by FakeKisser (366 posts) -

@jakob187: But that's not a XL, right? I specifically want the XL.

#56 Edited by InfiniteSpark (274 posts) -
#57 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

@infinitespark: Thank you. However, posting the links defeats the general purpose of me doing the blog, doesn't it?

@fakekisser: I didn't catch that part of it. My bad. I'll throw it up on the post.

#58 Edited by InfiniteSpark (274 posts) -

@jakob187: I didn't see your side of things in regards to the blog, my apologizes. Just trying to help. Hopefully the OP that you're working/editing on will be of assistance to some duders here.

#59 Edited by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

@infinitespark: It's all good, man. Wasn't snapping at you or anything. Just pointing it out.

To be honest, this thing gets more and more difficult to put together every year. There is way more shit to type out, way less that is made clear in the ads for video games specifically, so many things. Between that and the fact that my life now is far more busy than it previously was (I didn't have my own place, a girlfriend, and lots of shit to do back then like Magic The Gathering and Heroclix), I just don't have a whole lot of time to do this thing very well.

This may be my last year for it. I don't know. In all honesty, I'm going to be putting up another blog pretty soon, but it's going to be a rather scathing one...as this trend of people opening up on Thanksgiving Day is fucking sickening.

#60 Posted by FakeKisser (366 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

...this trend of people opening up on Thanksgiving Day is fucking sickening.

I agree...

#61 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Does the WoW Battle Chest from gamestop come with a separate code for game time? Could I buy multiple copies of that for 5 bucks and get a bunch of game time?

#62 Posted by Andorski (5367 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

This may be my last year for it. I don't know. In all honesty, I'm going to be putting up another blog pretty soon, but it's going to be a rather scathing one...as this trend of people opening up on Thanksgiving Day is fucking sickening.

Word. What I'm going to do on Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday is spend time with family and friends. Sometime the only way to win the game is by not even playing.

#63 Posted by ReTarDedFisHy (1071 posts) -

Time for ReTarDedFisHy to buy all the games he told himself he would play but never ended up buying them.
Also... perhaps a Vita?

#64 Edited by daedelus (100 posts) -

@jakob187: I was able to go to target.com and to the local ad section and drill down into a webpage that showed the Black Friday deals in HTML instead of a blurry .jpg.

@fakekisser: I'm planning on going to Target to get the 3DS XL too. $50 off normal price is awesome.

Has anyone been to target or walmart on black friday last year or recently? Do they usually have a regular stock of games, a larger than normal stock?

#65 Edited by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

@daedelus: Target usually has a good stock of games. Walmart...is a fucking madhouse. I mean, literally, shit pulled off shelves and laying in the middle of the goddamn floor. If I could think of a similar thing, it would be kind of like the L.A. Riots. There is no order, just pure chaos.

There's something both beautiful (if chaos is your kind of thing) and disheartening (if watching the degradation of society if your kind of thing) about Walmart on Black Friday.

#66 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

That target 3ds XL WILL BE MINE

#67 Posted by xxNBxx (980 posts) -

Mostly, I do my game shopping on Steam but might have to get over to Walmart for the Blizzard deals. I would like to play the starting Panda zone and Hots has been on my sales radar for some time.

#68 Posted by LarryDavis (1226 posts) -

@jakob187: Absolutely. Walmart is the only store around me with BF deals (lucky that they're almost always the best, Forza Horizon for 10 bucks last year was dope) and it's fun to actually do something dumb once a year.

Also is Target actually selling Into the Nexus for 10 dollars MORE than the retail price? Holy crap.

#69 Posted by SkipperSonne (96 posts) -

Can I just say, after about three years of following CAG and their Black Friday thread, I think I'm making the complete jump to Giant Bomb for everything. As evidenced by this thread, it is so much more constructive and civil here. There it's just 140 pages of people asking if the deals will be online or if the store in their town will be busy-and those are some of the passable questions. (On an unrelated note, it's impossible to listen to and relate to their podcast now, it's just three middle aged fathers talking about their kids and not playing anything new.)

Kudos, glad to be here.

#70 Edited by MrHadouken (206 posts) -

Any word on the God of war at wal mart if its the full collection, psp ports or ascension?

Edit: it is the full 5 game collection.

#71 Posted by Melos (239 posts) -

@mrhadouken: Thank Ares! God of War Saga was $15 last Black Friday, too, and I've been kicking myself since for not picking it up.

#72 Posted by MrHadouken (206 posts) -

@melos: yeah with me picking a PS3 this year I am loading up on games on the cheap, the best thing is they are all bundles!

#73 Edited by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

@skippersonne: Welcome. Hope you brought enough Hi-C for everyone.

#74 Edited by Solh0und (1852 posts) -

@jakob187: Just to let you know, GameStop changed their Black Friday ad a bit. Battlefield 4 is now $24.99, Just dance '14 is $14.99, CoD Ghosts is $44.99, and the Walking Dead vita bundle has been replaced with a 3G/WIFI Vita for $179.99.

#75 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

wow, good work.

#76 Posted by mlarrabee (3064 posts) -

"OK, first we'll be thankful for all of the things we have, both that which we need and have in abundance, and that which we don't need and have been blessed with. Then, we'll eat ourselves sick. Finally, we'll leave at 3 PM so we'll be first in line to buy more unnecessaries."

I'm not generally one of those "modern youths" with a philosophical air and a vague dislike of everything Western, but really, the corporate managers choosing to open on Thanksgiving are the heartless villains of the world, and if you let the prospect of saving thirty dollars pull you into their store, you're their lapdog.

#77 Posted by chiablo (999 posts) -

Does anyone know if Gamestop or Best Buy have boxed copies of Battlefield 4 for PC, or do they print out an Origin code on a receipt?

#78 Posted by Capum15 (5000 posts) -

I've gone to a Best Buy once on Black Friday a few years ago with some friends.

It was not an experience I have yet to repeat, and hopefully it shall stay that way. Freezing for like 2 hours outside, going inside in a mob, not getting anything, and then freezing more as my car warmed up was unpleasant. One of my friends got a TV though, I think. Then we came back to my house and played video games until the morning and then slept until the afternoon.

Good thread though - sometimes Love and Duct Tape is all you need. Is there a cyber Monday one around on the site, or did I imagine that?

#79 Posted by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

@chiablo said:

Does anyone know if Gamestop or Best Buy have boxed copies of Battlefield 4 for PC, or do they print out an Origin code on a receipt?

I have no clue. They don't bother saying in the ad. My assumption? PC games at retail are a myth unless that game is made by Blizzard.

#80 Posted by shinboy630 (1193 posts) -

Also is Target actually selling Into the Nexus for 10 dollars MORE than the retail price? Holy crap.

I think you mean KMart (at least according to the OP), but I saw that too. There is no way that is correct.

#81 Posted by LarryDavis (1226 posts) -

@shinboy630: Doesn't matter, Best Buy and Amazon currently have it for 20, I just bought it. Yeehaw!

#82 Edited by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

@shinboy630 said:

@larrydavis said:

I think you mean KMart (at least according to the OP), but I saw that too. There is no way that is correct.

It's Black Friday! Anything is possible!

Also, I just wrote down what was in the ads. I also just double checked it (K-Mart ad), and it does indeed say "save $10, sale $19.99."

#83 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

I'm really disappointed that there won't be a good deal on a Wii U console bundle. With the weak launch line ups for PS4/XO vendors should capitalize and offer the Wii U for cheap. I would even take that crap 8GB model right now for the right price.

$300 for the console and Mario 3D World and I'm there. This is really Nintendo's chance to move consoles. Next year when the next gen games really come out it will even be tougher to sell Wii Us.

#84 Posted by Epidehl (328 posts) -

@djou said:

I'm really disappointed that there won't be a good deal on a Wii U console bundle. With the weak launch line ups for PS4/XO vendors should capitalize and offer the Wii U for cheap. I would even take that crap 8GB model right now for the right price.

$300 for the console and Mario 3D World and I'm there. This is really Nintendo's chance to move consoles. Next year when the next gen games really come out it will even be tougher to sell Wii Us.

Was gonna say basically the same thing myself. Personally, I was hoping somewhere would have the Wind Waker HD bundle, but no luck.

#85 Edited by jakob187 (21762 posts) -

Yeah. The best you're going to get with a Wii U deal is K-Mart: the console, New Super Mario Bros U and New Super Luigi U for $299.99. Beyond that, Toys 'R' Us has a Skylanders Swap Force Wii U bundle for $259.99. I don't know which models those are, though. I'll see if I can find out real fast, and if so, I'll update the post.

*EDIT*

Okay, so the one at K-Mart is the 32GB model. The one at Toys 'R' Us is the 8GB model.

I finally had the opportunity to play a Wii U at Best Buy about a week before the PS4 launch. My girlfriend and I really enjoyed it. We played the demo for Rayman Legends, and it was a lot of fun. I've considered getting one.

#86 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

@jakob187: @epidehl: ew Super Mario Bros. U and New Super Luigi U, another game selected game of your choice (I was thinking about Zombie U), NYKO Pro Commander Controller (Wii U) or a $30 upgrade to the Nintendo gamepad for $329. (link)

My price point is $250 for the deluxe system without games. Most outlets are selling 360s and PS3s for $200. There are certainly 5 or 6 games I want to play but Wii U is last gen hardware it should be priced accordingly.

#87 Posted by shinboy630 (1193 posts) -

@larrydavis: Just grabbed it at Best Buy as well. Thanks for the heads up, duder!

#88 Posted by LarryDavis (1226 posts) -

@shinboy630: Mine just arrived, and I was unaware it comes with a code for Quest for Booty. I never played it, since I heard it was hell of short, and kinda expensive for that.

TWO GAMES IN ONE.

#89 Posted by shinboy630 (1193 posts) -

@shinboy630: Mine just arrived, and I was unaware it comes with a code for Quest for Booty. I never played it, since I heard it was hell of short, and kinda expensive for that.

TWO GAMES IN ONE.

Same boat here! FREE GAMES!

#90 Edited by Hunter5024 (5968 posts) -

@djou said:

My price point is $250 for the deluxe system without games. Most outlets are selling 360s and PS3s for $200. There are certainly 5 or 6 games I want to play but Wii U is last gen hardware it should be priced accordingly.

I mean maybe in terms of the technology you're right, but the Wii U is going to have new games for years to come, and I don't think the same can be said of the Ps3 and 360. At least not for as long.

#91 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1485 posts) -

The PS3 version of Battlefield 4 is still $10 to upgrade to the PS4 copy right?

#92 Posted by Rodiard (442 posts) -

Stay safe out there bombers and shop to your heart's content but please please please don't go out on Thanksgiving if you don't have to (and none of you do unless you work retail). Spend time with loved ones and let retail workers do the same. Black Friday creeping up to start on Thanksgiving is unacceptable.

#93 Edited by Tireyo (6451 posts) -

I never leave the house on Black Friday as there are too many stupid idiots and careless bastards running about ready to stab and trample on you to death just because of a simple material item that they feel like that can't live without. I can't stand crowds, and I'm a bit claustrophobic. I'm patient enough for prices of things to go down. Not to mention the amount of damage that's made to your car when it's only parked in the fucking parking lot! I hate Black Friday.

#94 Posted by Jimbo7676 (723 posts) -

This opening on Thanksgiving business is madness.

#95 Posted by djou (878 posts) -

@hunter5024: I think you mean to say that the Nintendo will have one to two games a year for the next five years, ie another Zelda, another Smash Bros, more Mario. Buying that console as an investment seems like a bad move. Its outdated and overpriced for what its features. The tablet is already hopelessly outclassed by something like the ipad Air or even an Amazon Kindle, I can't imagine what it will look like next to an ipad three years from now.

Personally I hope that Nintendo is working on a console refresh. They don't seem to have a problem refreshing the their handhelds. I hope they take the same approach to the console this cycle.

If anyone is interested I saw this Zelda Wii U bundle for $288.99 ebay. Seems legit. I plan to wait until Friday myself, but I think I'm pulling the trigger. (link)

#96 Posted by liquidsnakegfer9 (164 posts) -

If I buy saints row 4 for pc at gamestop will they just give me a steam key on my receipt? Also the actual gamestop ad only lists the 360 and ps3 for the sale on the game, so is the PC version even discounted at all?

#97 Edited by Hippie_Genocide (736 posts) -

The gold XL/Zelda bundle is regularly priced at 219.99. Is this being discounted further at Gamestop? I'm going to assume not.

#98 Edited by Capum15 (5000 posts) -

@liquidsnakegfer9: Apparently the Steam Autumn Sale is starting tomorrow if that e-mail going around is legit (seems to be, apparently from a developer that has a game on Steam or something). I don't know the answer to your question, but that would be something to keep in mind.

#99 Posted by Hunter5024 (5968 posts) -

@djou: That is what I mean actually. Yeah the Wii U will only have 1-2 titles per year for 5 more years, but the ps3 and 360 will only have that for like 2.

#100 Posted by Wampa1 (745 posts) -

Is there a good way to keep track of possible Wii U sales here in the UK? Quite a few online stores are just doing global black Friday deals now and I'm looking to grab a console for £220 or under.