jakob187's E3 Top 3 "I Want It Now" Picks

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Call it "missing the days of giving out Best Of Show Awards" or whatever, but E3 is always a time where it's nice to reward those who offered a great showing.  However, I have no rewards to hand out this time.  Instead, I only have words of praise.  So what are the three games that I'm most psyched about from E3?  I can guarantee that no one could list them off from the top of their head, and it probably doesn't match almost ANY of y'alls picks.

If Brink can graphically look like this concept art...then HELL YES!
In third place, we've got Brink.  Nothing was shown from the game, but given Splash Damage's reputation with Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, as well as the big talk coming from the developers, it sounds to me like the kind of shooting game I've been praying to play for a while now.  The idea that single and multiplayer gameplay has to be so separated has always baffled me, especially when you take into account that a game like Call of Duty 4 uses map locales plucked from the single player mode to make up its multiplayer maps!  Click on that "big talk" link a couple of sentences back and you'll get the whole lowdown.

Destruction seems to be my general theme for E3...
Second place is going to Homefront, which again, is all big talk at the moment.  Nonetheless, anyone who has seen gameplay footage or the demo from E3 seems to have nothing but praise for the game.  The idea of this "Drama Engine" keeping trouble so close to you and drawing you into these intense moments seems like a much-needed change of pace from the "the danger is over there, so I don't need to worry about it too much" mentality that many FPS games seem to have nowadays.  The trailer looks damn awesome, and the fact that John Milius is writing the script means we should also get a quality story.  My only issue is that the game doesn't feature multiplayer from what I'm to understand.  This is an odd move, given that Kaos is known for their work on the Desert Combat mod for BF1942, as well as their multiplayer for Frontlines: Fuel of War.

...but when it looks this good, who can honestly complain?
So which game has me more psyched than anything right now?  Well, all I can say is that I now understand what GamePro saw in this game:  Split/Second.  Now, there are games that LOOK cool...and then there are games that will definitely BE cool.  Split/Second falls into the latter.  Granted, some of this excitement may be due to my avid love of racing games (also see: GRiD, Colin McRae Rally, GTR, PGR, etc).  Nonetheless, the premise of Split/Second ALONE sounds awesome:  dynamically allow players to change the track and mess with the other racers, as well as offer a game that redefines HUD usage but still looks amazing and handles its visual style well.  So far, everything I've seen (including this excellent gameplay look from G4) has me wishing that next year would come around already.  It also makes me want to pick up Pure and check it out, as I never really bothered with it.

There you have it, folks.  Short, sweet, and to the point.  Check out more on all three of the games at their Wiki pages, and let's hope that none of these flop into non-existence or mediocrity, as they look like three promising original IPs.

How about you guys?  Obviously, we're all looking forward to the sequels, but what ORIGINAL IPs are you looking forward to playing from E3?
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Call it "missing the days of giving out Best Of Show Awards" or whatever, but E3 is always a time where it's nice to reward those who offered a great showing.  However, I have no rewards to hand out this time.  Instead, I only have words of praise.  So what are the three games that I'm most psyched about from E3?  I can guarantee that no one could list them off from the top of their head, and it probably doesn't match almost ANY of y'alls picks.

In third place, we've got Brink.  Nothing was shown from the game, but given Splash Damage's reputation with Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, as well as the big talk coming from the developers, it sounds to me like the kind of shooting game I've been praying to play for a while now.  The idea that single and multiplayer gameplay has to be so separated has always baffled me, especially when you take into account that a game like Call of Duty 4 uses map locales plucked from the single player mode to make up its multiplayer maps!  Click on that "big talk" link a couple of sentences back and you'll get the whole lowdown.

Second place is going to Homefront, which again, is all big talk at the moment.  Nonetheless, anyone who has seen gameplay footage or the demo from E3 seems to have nothing but praise for the game.  The idea of this "Drama Engine" keeping trouble so close to you and drawing you into these intense moments seems like a much-needed change of pace from the "the danger is over there, so I don't need to worry about it too much" mentality that many FPS games seem to have nowadays.  The trailer looks damn awesome, and the fact that John Milius is writing the script means we should also get a quality story.  My only issue is that the game doesn't feature multiplayer from what I'm to understand.  This is an odd move, given that Kaos is known for their work on the Desert Combat mod for BF1942, as well as their multiplayer for Frontlines: Fuel of War.

So which game has me more psyched than anything right now?  Well, all I can say is that I now understand what GamePro saw in this game:  Split/Second.  Now, there are games that LOOK cool...and then there are games that will definitely BE cool.  Split/Second falls into the latter.  Granted, some of this excitement may be due to my avid love of racing games (also see: GRiD, Colin McRae Rally, GTR, PGR, etc).  Nonetheless, the premise of Split/Second ALONE sounds awesome:  dynamically allow players to change the track and mess with the other racers, as well as offer a game that redefines HUD usage but still looks amazing and handles its visual style well.  So far, everything I've seen (including this excellent gameplay look from G4) has me wishing that next year would come around already.  It also makes me want to pick up Pure and check it out, as I never really bothered with it.

There you have it, folks.  Short, sweet, and to the point.  Check out more on all three of the games at their Wiki pages, and let's hope that none of these flop into non-existence or mediocrity, as they look like three promising original IPs.

How about you guys?  Obviously, we're all looking forward to the sequels, but what ORIGINAL IPs are you looking forward to playing from E3?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I agree with Split/Second. That game looks awesome.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I really want the Last Guardian, Halo: ODST and FFXIII.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jakob187
@natetodamax: I'm trying to not let my over-excitement for blowing up shit + racing get in the way, so here's something else to ask you guys:  as far as Split/Second goes, do you think that the appeal of all this will be a lasting thing, or will it be cool for the first five minutes and then you'll move on to another game?

Agnogenic, I'm glad you can read the last line of someone's OP.  = D
ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By ImperiousRix

I'm definitely with you on Brink and can even get behind Homefront, but I'm not so into racing that Split/Second is anywhere on my radar.
Personally, out of games I KNEW were gonna be there, Mass Effect 2 is my game of show.  Also looking forward to Splinter Cell: Conviction, and to my surprise, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax
@jakob187: If it has enough content and things to do, and the multiplayer is fun, I think it will be fun for a long time.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Staying within 2009: Conviction, ODST, Borderlands

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
@SmugDarkLoser: I haven't gotten around to any gameplay video of Borderlands yet, but that's one game I REALLY want to see in motion.  Also, Just Cause 2 has me shitting bricks of amazingness at the moment.  That video over at GameTrailers is just too awesome.  UNFORTUNATELY, I remember when the same kind of videos were coming out for Far Cry 2...

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Well Farcry's problem was that it was boring apparently (don't have it)
This looks exciting....and great graphically?  Very colorful.

Considering Just Cause 1 was a xbox 1 game (and a ported up 360 game), this could be very good.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jakob187
@SmugDarkLoser: Well, personally, Far Cry 2's problem was that it wanted you to pick up a quest, drive for an hour to get to that quest, finish the quest in under 10 minutes, then drive another hour to turn in that quest.  Well, at least...it seemed like an hour.  There wasn't a whole lot of benefit to exploration.  Nonetheless, I'm going to pick the game back up sometime this week...if I don't get too caught up in Fuel and Red Faction first.  = D
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_

You picked 3 games I couldn't care less about, and I'm guessing I'm naming 3 games you couldn't care less about.

Mine would be...

1. Borderlands
2. APB
3. Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
@Jayge: I'm definitely psyched about Borderlands and APB, sir.  Fat Princess...well, I don't have a PS3 or PSP...so it's whatever for those.  The Fat Princess stuff DOES look super cool, but it just doesn't apply to me.

I gotta say, amidst all of the crazy sequel and franchise announcements, there were a TON of original IP announcements, trailers, and demos.  E3 felt very fresh this time around.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jayge_
@jakob187 said:
" @Jayge: I'm definitely psyched about Borderlands and APB, sir.  Fat Princess...well, I don't have a PS3 or PSP...so it's whatever for those.  The Fat Princess stuff DOES look super cool, but it just doesn't apply to me.

I gotta say, amidst all of the crazy sequel and franchise announcements, there were a TON of original IP announcements, trailers, and demos.  E3 felt very fresh this time around.
"
And a lot of them looked great, too. Not likely that 80% of them *will* be great, but it was still a great show, yeah.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Original IPs?  Top 3 would probably be:

• Brutal Legend
  • The Saboteur
  • Borderlands

Oh, and jakob, you just might get caught up in Red Faction.  Especially if you try out the multiplayer.
Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Boiglenoight
@Agnogenic said:
" I really want the Last Guardian, Halo: ODST and FFXIII. "
Last Guardian looks like a Japanese "The Neverending Story."  I mean this as a positive.  High hopes for Team ICO.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
@Origina1Penguin: The Saboteur does look awesome as well, but I get shaky when the word "Pandemic" is included with something.  Frankly, the only game they've made that I liked was Full Spectrum Warrior.  Other than that, I thought Battlefront II was alright...but nothing spectacular.  Brutal Legend is yet another one that.....

Fuck, man, there really WERE a lot of original IPs!!!  What's crazier is that almost ALL of them have reasons to be super excited about them.

• Brink
  • Homefront
  • Split/Second
  • Brutal Legend
  • The Saboteur
  • Borderlands
  • APB
  • MAG
  • Singularity

I can't even THINK of them all.  We're set for a good, fresh 2010.
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@jakob187: Why thank you. :)

No, but concerning Brink, after the video interview that Jeff had on the site I am really excited for that too. I like the idea of the game handling actions that I don't want to do myself. :p
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187
@Agnogenic: You know, I've seen a lot of people commenting about how SMART is just going to dumb the game down for people, but let's all be real about it:  how many of us ACTUALLY ENJOY trying to make those annoying platforming jumps in first-person shooters?  Show of hands?

...that's what I thought.  Basically, it makes me start to think that SMART could possibly be the best thing to happen for FPS games in a long while.
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@jakob187 said:
" @Agnogenic: You know, I've seen a lot of people commenting about how SMART is just going to dumb the game down for people, but let's all be real about it:  how many of us ACTUALLY ENJOY trying to make those annoying platforming jumps in first-person shooters?  Show of hands?

...that's what I thought.  Basically, it makes me start to think that SMART could possibly be the best thing to happen for FPS games in a long while.
"
I agree. There is a huge handicap in FPS games because of having no peripheral vision that obviously wouldn't be a problem in real life. I like the fact that a developer is trying to come up with something to work around that.
Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Origina1Penguin
@jakob187: Yeah, there are many new IPs floating around now.  On top of your list you've got Alan Wake, Heavy Rain, Agent (I want to know more about), and most likely at least a handful more that I can't think of.  There is much to be excited for.

As for Pandemic, I'm being skeptical as well.  Mercs 2 left a bad taste in my mouth.  I hate going through a game thinking of at least five ways each part of the game can be done better.  The style of The Saboteur is what draws me in, but I won't let it blind me from what is actually there.  If you try really hard you can make shit not stink, but underneath that masking fragrance it's still a piece of shit.  Here's to hoping that sweet smell is just a bonus to a sweet game.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakob187
@Origina1Penguin: The style is definitely the gripping part, but if the game is as stiff as the Mercs games are, then count me out.  
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Persona PSP, Borderlands, Assasin's creed 2, APB, Brutal Legend, Fat Princess a fistful of cake, ODST, Brink, Star War Old republic, last guardian, Mass effect 2

Thats all I can think of right now
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm really hyped for Saboteur, Brutal Leged, and Singularity. Did anyone else see Tim Schafer's comments for Activision's latest law suit against them? Fucking hilarious.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Claude

I would like to play Heavy Rain if and when I ever get a PS3. I saw a developer walk-through on an alpha build and thought it was a pretty damn unique take on the adventure genre. Good stuff... indeed.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#25  Edited By maxszy

Original IPs? Alright, here we go:

No Caption Provided
3. Brutal Legend - I am still somewhat confused what this game is really even about. But Tim Schafer? Yeah I think its going to be good. I am really excited to find out what this game is!

No Caption Provided
2. The Saboteur - I hadn't heard about this game before E3. I don't know if this just flew under my radar or if this was a new announcement. Whichever, I think it is going to be really interesting. WWII has been done to death but this is truly what I think is a new twist on it. Plus Paris as the open world city? Hell yeah! I don't know too much more beside the trailer and gameplay video I have seen but from what I have seen, I am very intrigued.

No Caption Provided
1. Star Wars: the Old Republic - It was at E3 so its fair game! :-P I don't care if we don't know when its coming out and the earliest would probably be holiday 2010. I am absolutely pumped about this game and the amount of story content they are putting into this MMO. I still don't understand how it will play as an MMO with all this story they are putting in but I am sure that it will work somehow. The trailer was incredible, and all the written information about it has been great. Every class has its own story? Hell yes! Smugger class? Fuck yes! I can't wait!!
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By vidiot

There is a ton of games I want right now from E3, most of which have been covered in this thread except one:

Monkey Island Special Edition

I want a release date (LIKE NOW), so I can plan the ability to throw a party waiting on Live for this thing to be released. I grew up on that game, and love the fact the franchise is getting revitalized.

I hope it's a sign of things to come. I would love HD remakes of other Lucas games...

Xandurson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27  Edited By Xandurson

I'm really interested in all of the games you mentioned, too. I think APB will be good, too if they implement the MMO stuff correctly. I'm also really hyped up for The Saboteur. Borderlands and Alpha Protocol both look great, too but I don't know much about either of them.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
@GamerGeek360: You know, I haven't even BOTHERED looking at Alpha Protocol.  Personally, I fucking loathe Obsidian.  As buggy, glitchy, and shoddy of quality as KOTOR II and NWN2 were, I just don't understand why they keep being given sequels to work on.  Therefore, it leads me to have no confidence in their ORIGINAL IPs.  Hopefully, they prove me drastically wrong.  =  /