jakob187's Top 10 Games of 2009 That I Played

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187

Yes, it's that time of year.  I didn't get to play every game this year, especially if it was on the PS3.  It's nothing against the platform, and from what I'm to understand, it had a GREAT year in terms of releases.  Unfortunately, I'm not going to list off Infamous or Demon's Souls or something if I didn't play it solely because of hype around those games.  I also haven't gotten to play Dragon Age Origins yet, despite the fact that I have an itch that I feel like that game will most certainly scratch...and probably drench in blood... 

Either way, in no particular order, here are my top 10 games of 2009.  You may agree or disagree, but these are the games that kept my attention throughout the entire year, and I feel like they are a strong representation of what 2009 had to contribute to the gaming industry.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II

Publisher: THQ    Developer: Relic  

No Caption Provided
Real-time strategy games didn't have a huge year.  Despite the fact that many weren't released, it doesn't mean that 2009 wasn't a time of reinvention for the genre. Base-building is a thing of the past thanks to games like Dawn of War II and even the console-exclusive excellence of Halo Wars.  In the end, though, Dawn of War II was something that kept me coming back time and time again.  Finally, there was a Warhammer 40K game that was all about kicking ass rather than "oh, what's my build order going to be"...and I was more than willing to kick as much ass as possible.  There were a ton of improvements on the Company of Heroes engine that made this DoW2 both gorgeous to look at and incredibly in-depth to play.  Not only did this game offer gripping and visceral multiplayer matches, but the continued support from the developer (even adding a free survival mode into the game) really helped make this a premiere title for 2009 on your PC.

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Publisher: Eidos    Developer: Rocksteady 

No Caption Provided
When you put together an equation like Batman + Eidos + Rocksteady, the general assumption is that the end product just isn't going to be that great.  Rocksteady was known for one prior game, Eidos hadn't released a decent game in years, and Batman has always found a way to be the subject of lackluster, awful games.  Arkham Asylum finally changed that by melting together great voice acting, a captivating story that fits into the world of Batman incredibly well, and making you actually FEEL like the Batman.  During my time with Arkham Asylum, I couldn't help but compare it to another game:  007 Everything or Nothing, as that game made you feel like you were Bond, had you thinking like Bond.  Batman felt the same way here, and it was a sigh of relief.  Add on top of that gorgeous use of the Unreal Engine 3 (for once), excellent controls, and a camera that doesn't suck...and you've got the best superhero game ever created.  This deserves to not only be played, but also show us why we had confidence in Eidos for so long - because somewhere in there, they actually DO know how to make good games. 

'Splosion Man

Publisher: Twisted Pixel    Developer: Twisted Pixel 

No Caption Provided
A little company out of Austin, Texas provided us with two downloadable games this year, and while The Maw stands as an interesting little "puzzle" platformer, 'Splosion Man was the one that showed us that 2D side-scrolling was not only far from dead, but that ZANY was far from dead.  The fact that your only button option in this game was "Splode" makes it sound easy, but inside this bacon-wrapped game is a sadistic experience that helped us remember why we love games:  you don't have to have a massive multi-million dollar budget to make a great game with good graphics.  Also, let's not forget that it featured one of the best songs on any game this year (outside of Rogue Warrior and Borderlands' use of "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked").  EVERYBODY LOVES DONUTS!!!

(Tie) The Beatles: Rock Band/Guitar Hero: Metallica/DJ Hero/Guitar Hero 5

Publisher: N/A    Developer: N/A 

No Caption Provided
Rock Band logoLet's get something straight right now - I love music!  Therefore, it was almost impossible for me to even TRY to ignore all the music/rhythm games this year.  I seriously kept trying to narrow down to just one for my list, but in the end, I realized that I loved at least four this year.  With The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero Metallica, both of the top M/R companies showed that love and dedication can produce great spin-off, band-specific titles.  Meanwhile, Guitar Hero 5 brought about a ton of great change and finally allowed Neversoft to make the game that they WANTED to make...and it's fantastic because of it.  DJ Hero showed how the M/R franchise can expand, and it's an experience that I would beg anyone to try...if not strictly for the freshness that the idea has in it.  Sure, we don't really NEED more plastic instruments in our homes, but frankly, 2009 gave us at least four great reasons to keep picking those peripherals up.

Street Fighter IV 

Publisher: Capcom    Developer: Capcom

No Caption Provided
2D FIGHTING IS BACK, BABY!!!  The long-running king of fighting games finally saw a new iteration, and it was a doozy.  A completely reworked art design that featured great 3D character models on 2D planes, four new characters that are actually worth something, and a return to form for fighting games in general, Street Fighter IV just couldn't be stopped.  Moreover, the game helped to breathe life back into the 2D fighting genre, which was essentially crippling by for quite a while in the underground.  While the online options were generally poor, it wasn't unplayable by any means...and that is a great thing indeed.

Red Faction Guerrilla

Publisher: THQ    Developer: Volition

No Caption Provided
It should be no surprise to anyone that I would have RFG on this list.  I spent a good few months of my life drooling and slobbering over this game, and there were many long days with StarFoxA and Metroid545 pounding the competition on XBL.  Red Faction Guerrilla had a nice single player mode, so now that we've got that out of the way, let's get to the meat and bones here.  RFG has some of the best multiplayer to come out all year long.  Why this was surprising to me is something I can't explain, as the previous two games in the franchise also happened to have great multiplayer as well.  However, with the outright destruction that you are capable of creating thanks to GeoMod 2.0, as well as a unique backpack setup that offers you additional skills, RFG just had a superior experience to almost any other game in 2009...and I'll even put it up against Modern Warfare 2!  If you missed this game, you need to hunt it down and play it.

Left 4 Dead 2

Publisher: Valve    Developer: Valve

No Caption Provided
UK PC Box ArtYeah, there was a boycott.  Yeah, it fell apart.  Nonetheless, Valve happened to do the unthinkable:  create a bigger, better game that offered far more replayability than its predecessor.  There, I said it.  The modes we already knew are still there:  five long campaigns, a full Versus mode and Survival mode, but in the end, it's Scavenge mode that has me sold on the longevity of this game.  Aside from Red Faction Guerrilla, I don't think I've been this excited about multiplayer gaming in a while.  Scavenge mode offers quick 15-20 minute matches in an objective-based match type that I can already see everyone ripping off.  It's THAT good.  Add to that five Avatar awards for the Xbox 360 version, enhanced graphics and dismemberment features (which aren't super important, but they are nice nonetheless), and the awesomeness of Ellis and Coach...and man, have you got a good ol' time in the South.

Borderlands

Publisher: 2K Games    Developer: Gearbox

No Caption Provided
NA Box FrontSo Diablo and Call of Duty got drunk one night, and through miraculous process of intoxicated love-making, we were graced with one of the best original IPs of the year.  Borderlands did more than just offer a solid hybrid of two popular genres, but it also introduced us to a world that was as recognizable as its characters were memorable.  Moreover, there are few games that are as highly quotable as Borderlands.  As for the gameplay, the RPG elements never mar the experience, which is incredibly odd given the fast-paced nature of first-person shooters.  Regardless, there was a great balance that anyone can see Gearbox fine-tuned.  In short, this was an experiment that paid off greatly for 2K Games, and it also helped show that there is some confidence to be had in a company willing to take these kinds of risks.

Assassin's Creed II

Publisher: Ubisoft    Developer: Ubisoft

No Caption Provided
I wasn't a big fan of the first Assassin's Creed, which left a bad taste in my mouth thanks to its unnecessary repetition and general ease (seriously, you could assassinate most of your targets with a throwing knife...which is just bullshit).  With Assassin's Creed II, it's easy to tell just within the first 20 minutes of the game that Ubisoft took every single criticism of the first iteration to heart.  You won't find a boring and dull runaround in AC2.  Instead, you'll find a finely-tuned experience that does a great job at telling a compelling story, offering tight gameplay, and making everything you do feel like a major accomplishment.  The character of Ezio is far more interesting than Altair could've ever been, and even collecting 100 feathers didn't feel super tedious.  Everything has a purpose in this game, which is what made me smile.  There's no throwaway shit here, only prime rib.  Assassin's Creed II, above all other games this year, really made me feel like there was a company who actually LISTENED to the people who played their game and wanted to make something that was just spectacular in every way.  When you look at the fact that the game itself takes somewhere around 15-20 hours to complete, that alone should say something about the quality found in this package.  Hands down, Assassin's Creed II is my flat-out 2009 Game of the Year.

Shadow Complex

Publisher: Epic    Developer: Chair

No Caption Provided
Last but not least, we have Shadow Complex.  Oh, Shadow Complex, how you kept me awake for far too many nights until I literally was falling asleep with my controller in my hand, waking up and wondering why I was running into a wall.  Shadow Complex did something incredible in 2009:  it proved that you could offer a downright beautiful-looking 2D experience that hearkens back to the days of the Super Nintendo, mix in a well-told story, and create it all within a downloadable game space.  The light RPG elements also helped to keep me coming back for more, but it was the ability to carry over my levels and just generally be an outright badass that made me fall in love with this game.  Anyone who didn't spend the MSP to pick this one up was out of their goddamn mind this year, but don't worry - you still have a chance to fix that in 2010.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187

Yes, it's that time of year.  I didn't get to play every game this year, especially if it was on the PS3.  It's nothing against the platform, and from what I'm to understand, it had a GREAT year in terms of releases.  Unfortunately, I'm not going to list off Infamous or Demon's Souls or something if I didn't play it solely because of hype around those games.  I also haven't gotten to play Dragon Age Origins yet, despite the fact that I have an itch that I feel like that game will most certainly scratch...and probably drench in blood... 

Either way, in no particular order, here are my top 10 games of 2009.  You may agree or disagree, but these are the games that kept my attention throughout the entire year, and I feel like they are a strong representation of what 2009 had to contribute to the gaming industry.

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II

Publisher: THQ    Developer: Relic  

No Caption Provided
Real-time strategy games didn't have a huge year.  Despite the fact that many weren't released, it doesn't mean that 2009 wasn't a time of reinvention for the genre. Base-building is a thing of the past thanks to games like Dawn of War II and even the console-exclusive excellence of Halo Wars.  In the end, though, Dawn of War II was something that kept me coming back time and time again.  Finally, there was a Warhammer 40K game that was all about kicking ass rather than "oh, what's my build order going to be"...and I was more than willing to kick as much ass as possible.  There were a ton of improvements on the Company of Heroes engine that made this DoW2 both gorgeous to look at and incredibly in-depth to play.  Not only did this game offer gripping and visceral multiplayer matches, but the continued support from the developer (even adding a free survival mode into the game) really helped make this a premiere title for 2009 on your PC.

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Publisher: Eidos    Developer: Rocksteady 

No Caption Provided
When you put together an equation like Batman + Eidos + Rocksteady, the general assumption is that the end product just isn't going to be that great.  Rocksteady was known for one prior game, Eidos hadn't released a decent game in years, and Batman has always found a way to be the subject of lackluster, awful games.  Arkham Asylum finally changed that by melting together great voice acting, a captivating story that fits into the world of Batman incredibly well, and making you actually FEEL like the Batman.  During my time with Arkham Asylum, I couldn't help but compare it to another game:  007 Everything or Nothing, as that game made you feel like you were Bond, had you thinking like Bond.  Batman felt the same way here, and it was a sigh of relief.  Add on top of that gorgeous use of the Unreal Engine 3 (for once), excellent controls, and a camera that doesn't suck...and you've got the best superhero game ever created.  This deserves to not only be played, but also show us why we had confidence in Eidos for so long - because somewhere in there, they actually DO know how to make good games. 

'Splosion Man

Publisher: Twisted Pixel    Developer: Twisted Pixel 

No Caption Provided
A little company out of Austin, Texas provided us with two downloadable games this year, and while The Maw stands as an interesting little "puzzle" platformer, 'Splosion Man was the one that showed us that 2D side-scrolling was not only far from dead, but that ZANY was far from dead.  The fact that your only button option in this game was "Splode" makes it sound easy, but inside this bacon-wrapped game is a sadistic experience that helped us remember why we love games:  you don't have to have a massive multi-million dollar budget to make a great game with good graphics.  Also, let's not forget that it featured one of the best songs on any game this year (outside of Rogue Warrior and Borderlands' use of "Ain't No Rest For The Wicked").  EVERYBODY LOVES DONUTS!!!

(Tie) The Beatles: Rock Band/Guitar Hero: Metallica/DJ Hero/Guitar Hero 5

Publisher: N/A    Developer: N/A 

No Caption Provided
Rock Band logoLet's get something straight right now - I love music!  Therefore, it was almost impossible for me to even TRY to ignore all the music/rhythm games this year.  I seriously kept trying to narrow down to just one for my list, but in the end, I realized that I loved at least four this year.  With The Beatles: Rock Band and Guitar Hero Metallica, both of the top M/R companies showed that love and dedication can produce great spin-off, band-specific titles.  Meanwhile, Guitar Hero 5 brought about a ton of great change and finally allowed Neversoft to make the game that they WANTED to make...and it's fantastic because of it.  DJ Hero showed how the M/R franchise can expand, and it's an experience that I would beg anyone to try...if not strictly for the freshness that the idea has in it.  Sure, we don't really NEED more plastic instruments in our homes, but frankly, 2009 gave us at least four great reasons to keep picking those peripherals up.

Street Fighter IV 

Publisher: Capcom    Developer: Capcom

No Caption Provided
2D FIGHTING IS BACK, BABY!!!  The long-running king of fighting games finally saw a new iteration, and it was a doozy.  A completely reworked art design that featured great 3D character models on 2D planes, four new characters that are actually worth something, and a return to form for fighting games in general, Street Fighter IV just couldn't be stopped.  Moreover, the game helped to breathe life back into the 2D fighting genre, which was essentially crippling by for quite a while in the underground.  While the online options were generally poor, it wasn't unplayable by any means...and that is a great thing indeed.

Red Faction Guerrilla

Publisher: THQ    Developer: Volition

No Caption Provided
It should be no surprise to anyone that I would have RFG on this list.  I spent a good few months of my life drooling and slobbering over this game, and there were many long days with StarFoxA and Metroid545 pounding the competition on XBL.  Red Faction Guerrilla had a nice single player mode, so now that we've got that out of the way, let's get to the meat and bones here.  RFG has some of the best multiplayer to come out all year long.  Why this was surprising to me is something I can't explain, as the previous two games in the franchise also happened to have great multiplayer as well.  However, with the outright destruction that you are capable of creating thanks to GeoMod 2.0, as well as a unique backpack setup that offers you additional skills, RFG just had a superior experience to almost any other game in 2009...and I'll even put it up against Modern Warfare 2!  If you missed this game, you need to hunt it down and play it.

Left 4 Dead 2

Publisher: Valve    Developer: Valve

No Caption Provided
UK PC Box ArtYeah, there was a boycott.  Yeah, it fell apart.  Nonetheless, Valve happened to do the unthinkable:  create a bigger, better game that offered far more replayability than its predecessor.  There, I said it.  The modes we already knew are still there:  five long campaigns, a full Versus mode and Survival mode, but in the end, it's Scavenge mode that has me sold on the longevity of this game.  Aside from Red Faction Guerrilla, I don't think I've been this excited about multiplayer gaming in a while.  Scavenge mode offers quick 15-20 minute matches in an objective-based match type that I can already see everyone ripping off.  It's THAT good.  Add to that five Avatar awards for the Xbox 360 version, enhanced graphics and dismemberment features (which aren't super important, but they are nice nonetheless), and the awesomeness of Ellis and Coach...and man, have you got a good ol' time in the South.

Borderlands

Publisher: 2K Games    Developer: Gearbox

No Caption Provided
NA Box FrontSo Diablo and Call of Duty got drunk one night, and through miraculous process of intoxicated love-making, we were graced with one of the best original IPs of the year.  Borderlands did more than just offer a solid hybrid of two popular genres, but it also introduced us to a world that was as recognizable as its characters were memorable.  Moreover, there are few games that are as highly quotable as Borderlands.  As for the gameplay, the RPG elements never mar the experience, which is incredibly odd given the fast-paced nature of first-person shooters.  Regardless, there was a great balance that anyone can see Gearbox fine-tuned.  In short, this was an experiment that paid off greatly for 2K Games, and it also helped show that there is some confidence to be had in a company willing to take these kinds of risks.

Assassin's Creed II

Publisher: Ubisoft    Developer: Ubisoft

No Caption Provided
I wasn't a big fan of the first Assassin's Creed, which left a bad taste in my mouth thanks to its unnecessary repetition and general ease (seriously, you could assassinate most of your targets with a throwing knife...which is just bullshit).  With Assassin's Creed II, it's easy to tell just within the first 20 minutes of the game that Ubisoft took every single criticism of the first iteration to heart.  You won't find a boring and dull runaround in AC2.  Instead, you'll find a finely-tuned experience that does a great job at telling a compelling story, offering tight gameplay, and making everything you do feel like a major accomplishment.  The character of Ezio is far more interesting than Altair could've ever been, and even collecting 100 feathers didn't feel super tedious.  Everything has a purpose in this game, which is what made me smile.  There's no throwaway shit here, only prime rib.  Assassin's Creed II, above all other games this year, really made me feel like there was a company who actually LISTENED to the people who played their game and wanted to make something that was just spectacular in every way.  When you look at the fact that the game itself takes somewhere around 15-20 hours to complete, that alone should say something about the quality found in this package.  Hands down, Assassin's Creed II is my flat-out 2009 Game of the Year.

Shadow Complex

Publisher: Epic    Developer: Chair

No Caption Provided
Last but not least, we have Shadow Complex.  Oh, Shadow Complex, how you kept me awake for far too many nights until I literally was falling asleep with my controller in my hand, waking up and wondering why I was running into a wall.  Shadow Complex did something incredible in 2009:  it proved that you could offer a downright beautiful-looking 2D experience that hearkens back to the days of the Super Nintendo, mix in a well-told story, and create it all within a downloadable game space.  The light RPG elements also helped to keep me coming back for more, but it was the ability to carry over my levels and just generally be an outright badass that made me fall in love with this game.  Anyone who didn't spend the MSP to pick this one up was out of their goddamn mind this year, but don't worry - you still have a chance to fix that in 2010.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

I always wanted to like Red Faction, but that game was far too janky.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By sjschmidt93

I agree with most of these. Except Borderlands and Red Faction. Didn't play Shadow Complex, 'Splosion Man or DoW2. 

I would also add Uncharted 2 and Plants Vs. Zombies. Maybe Infamous.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

I'm amazed Assassin's Creed won out as your favorite this year. It just doesn't seem like the sort of game you'd really love. I mean, I see you liking it, but not clamoring over it like you did. 

Good shit, though.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

Keep in mind Eidos is just the publisher, meaning they pretty much decide sales tactics. I think. I don't know.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad

I can see Batman, Street Fighter IV, and Beatles: Rock Band on my list. Maybe I'll post a blog at the end of the year. I have a lot of games I want to get around to playing.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By JJOR64

Sadly, I've only played two of those.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King
@JJOR64 said:
" Sadly, I've only played two of those. "
Worse, I've only played one. Two if you count my failing at SF4 in GameStop for, like, 15 seconds.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

I didn't care for Dawn of War 2 or Splosion Man at all.  Of those I only think Street Fighter 4 and Assassin's Creed 2 would be in my top 10.  Haven't played Borderlands or any of those music games.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

OH MY GOSH WHERE THE HELL IS MODERN WARFA- I kid. I kid. 

I agree with all the games on this list I have played.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

I haven't played the majority of the games on this list, and I can't say that I agree with the choices that I have.  Red Faction was fun for a bit, but it never really caught me the same way that Saints Row 2 did.  And as fun as Street Fighter IV is, I never found myself having much fun in its shabby online system.  I found BlazBlue to be a much better game overall.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jakob187
@EpicSteve: I can't agree with that at all.  I logged a SHITLOAD of hours onto that game, LOL.  You might be able to tell that just by looking at my achievements screen and seeing that it still holds a place on my "most sessions played"...and I haven't loaded that game up since about August.  LOL  Sorry you couldn't get into it, man.  Personally, I found it an excellent testament to Volition's ability to create good multiplayer, so much that MLG ended up recognizing it and adding in an MLG playlist (which has BRUTAL competition in it).  I really need to break the 100K mark on the multiplayer XP sometime soon, and maybe even get to the 150K point to unlock my Ostrich Hammer finally. 

@SJSchmidt93: Did you read the opening paragraph...or the title...where I mentioned that this was out of the games that I played this year?  I have no steady or regular access to a PS3, so I'm not going to put Uncharted 2 and Infamous and such on there when I haven't played them at all.  However, I am more than positive that those games would've made my list had I gotten to play them.  I'm also sure that Dragon Age would be on there as well. 

@Sir_Ragnarok: Assassin's Creed II surprised the shit out of me as well, sir.  Like I had said in that, there was more than just the game that made me decide it was my outright GOTY 2009.  There was also the fact that they addressed every single issue and criticism that was made about the first game.  It felt like an incredibly tight and concise experience, and there are few other games this year that had me laying in bed wishing I had extra hours in the day to keep playing it.  I can't wait for the DLC to drop, as I'm excited to check out Ubisoft's take on the Battle of Forli and the Bonfire of the Vanities.  It's seriously one of the best experiences and must-play games of 2009. 

@Hailinel: I thought BlazBlue was a terrific game as well.  However, where SFIV failed in its online capabilities, it more than made up for in its incredible gameplay, as well as resurrecting a genre that needed to be brought back to mainstream attention.  To be honest, without SFIV, I don't know how popular BlazBlue would've ended up being.
moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By moelarrycurly

This reminds me that I need to do this type of blog post sometime before the end of the year.  And that also reminds me that I should start inFamous...

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By dethfish

Wow, someone else besides me liked Guitar Hero: Metallica?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By Claude

I still have my eye on Shadow Complex. That demo was cool as hell, just need to get the points.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jakob187
@Dethfish77: ABSOLUTELY!  They really captured Metallica's performance style well in that game, even going so far as to have them playing in the round.  The track list for the game was incredibly strong as well, with a great mix of bands that inspired them as well as songs from bands today (like Machine Head and Mastodon) that felt natural to the game.  Overall, it was an impressive package that I couldn't ignore.  Plus, I can't complain when a game has me playing "Master of Puppets" on Expert...and then I jump on a REAL drum set...and by using the same exact note chart, I'm able to play it on those REAL drums.  THAT says a lot about a game, ya know?
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dethfish

I loved the set list. Super fun to play, especially if you like a challenge. I don't own a drum set unfortunately so I missed out on those.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By StarFoxA

Oh, Red Faction. How many sleepless nights we spent with that game. I think Giant Bomb claims I have around 100+ sessions with that game. Probably spent well over 200 hours in the multiplayer alone. Good times, good times.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By kmdrkul

Great list.  I'm playing through Borderlands again co-op with my brother while he is home and it's still a ton of fun. 

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AltonBrown

Dawn of War II is one of the best RTS games I've ever played. I love the focus on small squads during the campaign.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ThomasP

I'm still waiting to get the opportunity to play Shadow Complex... Borderlands too. Nice selections.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dalai

Borderlands looks like it will be high on my list, same with Left 4 Dead 2 even though I barely played it at all since it came out. 

And Shadow Complex... Jesus Christ I still gotta play that game!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#23  Edited By citizenkane
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Red12b
@CitizenKane:
Ass Ass Ins creed 2 Is fantastic, I really enjoyed playing it, and after Dirt2 it would be my personal GOTY.
demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By demontium
@jakob187: This list isn't too cliche but not too far off either. 

Nice.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By Symphony

Well done list and an enjoyable read :)

Sadly, I've only played two of those games myself, though I'm hoping to play more in the near future.

Though only one of the 4 new characters was really worth a damn ;P Abel ftw!

Sushbag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Sushbag

How did SF4 resurrect fighting games, exactly? Okay, so it's called Street Fighter and it has 2009 graphics and some new characters. For you apparently that's enough to say "2D fighters are back," but to me, I'm just old enough to remember when fighting games were played by normal people and not people who wear anime shirts and argue about spikey-haired characters and thus I can tell you that SF4 didn't do that. I mean, if it had really been good enough to bring 2D fighters back into the mainstream, I would probably have played it instead of taking a look at a few videos and thinking about checking it out before remembering that it's actually 2009 not 1993, and that there's no reason to play it if you're not already a hardcore Japanese fighting game fan.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

So now I get it! That's why you're so in love with Red Faction: Guerilla! It's the multiplayer! I rented it, and while I was having a pretty good time with it, it didn't seem to be quite as good as you were preaching. But I never played it online. The single player wasn't bad. I loved the level of destruction in the game. I would like to play it some more and am kind of shocked by how little progress I made in the campaign. I might have to rent it again. 

I'm not too far into Batman: Arkham Asylum yet, but what's there is great. I've definitely been enjoying it and look forward to finishing it up over winter break.

'Splosion Man and Shadow Complex are two games I'll have to check out once I get back on Xbox Live. I guess Shadow Complex will be on sale for $10 next week, so that's just awesome.

I find it interesting you included Guitar Hero 5 with the other music games. You know, I really enjoyed GH: Metallica far more than I ever would have expected. They put together a solid game. Personally I think Beatles Rock Band is a better game, but I thought Activision did a great job representing Metallica. It turns out I'm a bigger fan of Metallica than I thought. And I like many of the changes GH5 makes, though I think the soundtrack is probably the weakest in the entire series, and that's a bummer. Sure, most of the good popular songs have already been used, but it really hurts GH5's replay value when you don't like so many of the songs. That's just a matter of taste, though. 

I didn't put much effort into Street Fighter IV, but I wasn't having much fun with it. I'll never go back. It just wasn't for me. I started getting pretty excited about it, but when I got my hands on it, things went bad. The God-awful intro (Yeah, from what I understand, some people out there actually like it), the fact that the game doesn't really give you any training, being unable to read the moves lists on my SDTV. It just wasn't working out, man. Oh well. I've always been more of a Mortal Kombat guy anyway.

I felt similarly about the first Assassin's Creed, but can't wait to try out the new one. I hope I end up liking it as much as you did. Solid list, my man.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Metroid545

I LOVE DONUTS

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#30  Edited By GunstarRed

Really like your choices, not full of the obvious choices although I strongly disagree with "Do nuts, Go Nuts" being the best song in that game.... "The 'splode beneath my 'splosion" is a masterpiece!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jakob187
@TheGreatGuero: GH5 has an incredibly solid tracklist.  I wasn't super confident about it when it was announced, but after playing all the songs with a four-player band, I completely understand why.  The only thing I wish they would've done is take out "American Girl" and replaced it with "Free Fallin'".  LOL  Plus, any game that includes the amazingness of "Sultan of Swing" is full of fucking win! 

Seriously, though, that game has a strong set list.  Maybe it's just because I'm familiar with a lot of the music on there, and I really appreciated them digging back into older music this time around rather than relying so heavily in modern stuff.  There's a good mix.  Hell, it has T.Rex and King Crimson!!!
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@jakob187: Maybe I'm too harsh. Afterall, there are a lot of good songs on there, but then about half of them I didn't really enjoy. A lot of the songs that I didn't know, I ended up not really liking much, even when they were from bands I kind of like.  But still, I mean, yeah, there's some good stuff on there. I'm actually looking over the soundtrack list now, and there was some good songs, and then some that ended up working out much better than expected. 21st Century Schizoid Man is pretty nuts. 20th Century Boy is a cool song. I love 2 Minutes To Midnight.

I will add that I didn't like that they used live versions of songs. In some cases, I think it'd be okay, but I don't think it works out so well here. Like, Frampton's "Do You Feel Like We Do". Classic song, and I'm glad it's in the game, but jeez, there's like 6 minutes of doing the same couple notes over and over and over and over. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I doubt the studio version runs on that long. I think Iggy Pop is a lot of fun, but I wasn't impressed with his live version of Lust for Life. Same goes with Lithium, it just didn't sound as good.  

I love Sultans of Swing, that's been one of my most requested songs for the GH games,  and I'm a big fan of Tom Petty. American Girl is actually one of my all-time favorite songs, so I wouldn't replace it with Free Fallin', but dude... the end of American Girl is just freaking ridiculous. It's a pretty steady song until the last 30 seconds then it's just flat-out insane. Also, GH5 finally got me to appreciate Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. I think Hendrix's version is the greatest song of all time, but I never cared for Bob Dylan's until I played it more than a few times in GH5. I'm gonna say that I thought John Mellencamp's "Hurts So Good" was the most surprisingly good addition. It wasn't one I was expecting to enjoy so much in the game. Also the game got me to actually like "Kryptonite" by 3 Doors Down. 

Anyway, you know, I should give GH5 more credit for this one reason. People made a big deal over watching Kurt Cobain sing Bon Jovi's "You Give Love A Bad Name", but you haven't seen anything until you see him singing Elton John's song. It is SO FUNNY. Probably the funniest video game moment of the year, if you ask me.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
@TheGreatGuero: The live version of "Do You Feel Like We Do?" is the ONLY version that matters.  Those same notes over and over are COMPLETELY necessary.  Then again, I was raised on classic rock and taught early to have a deep appreciation for Frampton Comes Alive.  LOL  I enjoyed "Lust For Life", as it was a good representation of Iggy Pop live (whether that's a good or bad thing is subjective to the person criticizing it).  I don't care for Nirvana at all, so I could've done without those. 

As for 3 Doors Down, I've enjoyed every album those guys have made.  I've been through two copies of Away From The Sun and...well, Lord knows how many copies of Seventeen Days.  A Better Life is a good album and a strong debut (especially when you realize that Brad Arnold did the drums AND vocals for that album).  However, the songs on the follow-up albums are much stronger.  The new album is okay, but it's not as strong to me.  Personally, I would've liked to see "Changes" from Away From The Sun on Guitar Hero 5, but hey...we can't win 'em all, can we? 

Overall, though, it wasn't just the set list that impressed me with GH5.  Neversoft finally had a chance to catch up and make the game they wanted to make.  The presentation is DRASTICALLY improved and has a better feel to it, so onlookers can actually have something to look at.  Backward compatibility with songs from other games like World Tour, Smash Hits, and DLC downloads is also nice to have in there (even if that system is a little janky).  The Party Play mode is EXCELLENT!!!  The online works so much better now.  They just really had a chance to refine the Guitar Hero experience, and personally, it felt a lot more like the excitement I had when playing Guitar Hero II.  Plus, I mean...it has A Perfect Circle.  = D
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By RHCPfan24

Excellent list!! The only game you omitted that raises concern is Uncharted 2 but you said your time with the PS3 was limited so that is understandable. I like the 'Splosion Man love too; that game has been forgotten by too many.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By bwooduhs

Red Faction is on the list so you win.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I found L4D2 to be very underwhelming, but it's nice to see GH5 get some recognition, as I fear many have dismissed it at "just another guitar hero game with 0 fundamental changes).

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheGreatGuero
@jakob187: Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Frampton, I just felt that part went on way too long. To the point where everybody playing is yawning and looking at the clock. 

With that said, yeah, the changes they made are cool. I like how each song had goals, though personally I found some of them were just ridiculously hard. I can't alt-strum with much accuracy for the life of me. I never got much out of Party Play. I kind of prefer actually choosing the songs I play, but it's still a neat concept. I did like that you could use the 360 headset to sing and could have any variety of instruments that you wanted to use.
crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By crystalskull2

@jakob187:Great list.But the sad thing is i have not played any of those.Although i have played transformers,terminator and velvet assasin.So i can make a WGOTY.