#1 Edited by ShinjiEx (793 posts) -

Over the years being a so called vet being there since I can remember gaming on the SNES than onto the JRPG golden age of PS1 & PS2

My best memories are that of video games made from Japan

The first game which change my world was Metal Gear Solid 1 back in 98 my mind was just blown and played over 4 times in under a month

Ever since than if I had to tell what the greatest gaming series ever is? it would defiantly be whatever Hideo Kojima has made

Than there was XenoGears the greatest JRPG ever fallowed latter by the XenoSaga series the original space opera before BioWare's Mass Effect

Japanese games just have better story better characters that stick with you and stand the test of time

Especially with babes like Tifa Rinoa Yuna Bayonetta Jeanne Serah Lightning the rest of the Final Fantasy babes in general and of course Grasshopper Manufacture cast of babes

In closing the emotion that Japanese games bring out of me is something western games fail to do

From Final Fantasy VII to Persona 3 "Mitsuru Kirijo babelicious LOL" and Catherine or is Katherine?

#2 Posted by ThunderSlash (2296 posts) -

Whoops... I must've accidentally hit the GameFAQs bookmark.

#3 Posted by Cloudenvy (5874 posts) -

I was going to come in here to say that this thread would surely go places, but seeing as it's ShinjiEx people will probably just laugh it off and continue with their lives.

#4 Posted by geirr (2864 posts) -

I was about to say how wrong you are but then I remembered my favorite games are Final Fantasy 6 & 9, Zelda 3 & 4, Super Castlevania 4, SotN, Silent Hill 1 & 2, Mario 64 and Galaxy, Mario Kart, and the list goes on.. so.. yeah. I guess I agree mostly. Some Commodore 64 games are remembered just as fondly however and almost all of those are Western so I suppose it has something to do with how old you are while playing them.

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (9635 posts) -

http://ahyesplans.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/hm-no2.gif

That's a fine opinion, but no.

#6 Edited by Winternet (8238 posts) -

Well, this thread is bound to develop into some reasonable and civilized debate.

#7 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (413 posts) -

I know what you're trying to say, and I do agree that Japanese games are more memorable than a lot of western developed games, your statement is way too objective. Like you're saying Japanese games no matter what always have a better story than western developed games when that just is not true. So, while I kind of agree with you, I do not agree with the points you gave. Just because the Xeno series came first doesn't make Mass Effect completely irrelevant.

Also, it's 2013 and you used the word "babes" sincerely.

#8 Edited by Tarsier (1491 posts) -

everyone here has anime as their display picture.

#9 Posted by MiniPato (2807 posts) -

@tarsier said:

Everyone here has a Remedy games related avatar too going by your definition of "everyone."

#10 Posted by supamon (1339 posts) -

That's like, your opinion pal! Although I personally do love a lot of Jap games, games from other countries are pretty great too.

#11 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5148 posts) -

The last time I heard or read the word "babes," it was coming out of Duke Nukem's mouth.

Wait, what am I reading?

#12 Posted by CaLe (4250 posts) -

For me this happens to be the case as well, but I've also done a complete u-turn and now most Japanese games don't interest me nearly as much as Western games. There are some, like Dark Souls, but not much more than that.

#13 Posted by probablytuna (4166 posts) -

@minipato said:

@tarsier said:

Everyone here has a Remedy games related avatar too going by your definition of "everyone."

And make that two Snakes!

#14 Posted by ChoboBot (185 posts) -

For previous generations maybe, however for me there are way more Western games this game that have stood out compared to the Japanese games e.g. Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock Infinite

#15 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2356 posts) -

Japanese games do play the biggest part in my gaming nostalgia because all I was ever playing in my early youth was Nintendo games. Nowadays it's western RPGs that have been sticking out the most this current generation for me.

#17 Edited by TwoLines (3055 posts) -

...babes? Hi Duke. The 90's are that way.

#18 Edited by Master_Funk (747 posts) -

The only japanese games that are truly memorable to me are the persona games and Dark souls. Every other game that I truly love is western.

#19 Edited by Sinusoidal (2251 posts) -

Someone's got their nostalgia glasses on. My fondest memories are of Japanese games too, but mostly because the majority of western console games sucked post-Atari 2600 in the mid-late 80s and 90s.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13332 posts) -

Sometimes?

#21 Posted by Quarters (2107 posts) -

The only reason Japanese games seem more memorable is because it's the predominant region that games came from back in our youth. Therefore, our nostalgia for the glory days make them more memorable. I think games from any region can become just as memorable as any other. Like others have said, western RPGs have made far more of an impact in my life in this generation. I can't imagine my gaming life without Mass Effect for instance, which became one of my top two series(alongside a Japanese alum, Metal Gear).

#22 Posted by Hitchenson (4708 posts) -
#23 Posted by theodacourt (584 posts) -

The best games of Japan get translated and put out in English speaking areas of the world, and the rubbish games don't. This is why Japanese games seem to be of a better standard, just because you're only seeing the best of them.

It's also a matter of personal choice. My most memorable games are Half Life series, System/Bioshock, Thief series, GTA etc...all of which are western.

#24 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1206 posts) -

Japanese games had to go trough some filters, like translations, that meant that only games with good sale potential got trough to the other regions. This means that western audience got selected best of what Japanese had to offer. Also their games reflect foreign culture and philosophy, making them stand out from the western games and making them therefore more memorable.

These days I find that games from the former eastern block countries are the most unique and memorable.

#25 Edited by RawText (28 posts) -

Most western games blew back in the day. It wasn't until we got to the SNES that western developers started to come to the forefront. So sure. Old eastern games are more memorable than old western games because they were of higher quality (except the manliest western game ever, General Custer's Revenge). But ever since the SNES, western developers have been pumping out games that are just as memorable, and some even rise waaaay above most of their eastern competitors.

Don't judge games by region. Judge them by their own merit, by their own quality. Doesn't mean shit if a game comes from Tokyo or California, if it's good, hell, I'll play it.

(IMO)

#26 Posted by believer258 (12819 posts) -

@tarsier said:

That doesn't mean that I agree with the fellow.

The fact of the matter is that there is one hell of a cultural divide between Japan and the West. That's not to say that there aren't also different cultures in the West, but they are often quite comparable (e.g. The Witcher 2 could pass as something created by an American company if someone didn't know any better). That also isn't to say that Japanese games can't appeal to the West (Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil) but you can almost always tell that something's different about Japanese games that star Western characters. I don't think that either side is necessarily better than the other, just different. Besides, it really all comes down to subjectivity, doesn't it? I think that Chrono Trigger is one of the best games of all time, but someone else might just think it's a good game and move on with their lives.

Now, to give my own personal opinion. I like many Japanese games but I think more of Western games when I try to come up with ones I have the most memories of. Super Metroid, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger, and Shin Megami Tensei games are great, but for every one of those I probably have three or four Western games I like just as much. Halo, Doom, Crash Bandicoot, Elder Scrolls games, Metroid Prime (which is American!), Dead Space, Mass Effect, that list goes on for quite a long time.

#27 Edited by SomeJerk (3638 posts) -

If only they could be so in multiplayer also. That goes for asian games in general, and I'm not counting DeS/DS/MH into this.

Final Fantasy 13, as bad as it was for a Final Fantasy game and how little replay value it had, it was more memorable than western games, as dumb as the character designs often were, as awkward and facepalmy the dialogue sometimes was, as dull as the grinding got it was more memorable in every way as a lengthy action-adventure than Mass Effect 1 2 and 3 were. I wish I knew how this came to be.

Before you wet your Tali underwear and go to rant angrily on NoGethAllowed; I remember every step start to finish of my first character in World of Warcraft, February 2005 and most I did in it to mid 2008 better than I remember my journey in Final Fantasy 13 or the Mass Effects. That's the most memorable game of the past ten years for me, it's not going to be forgotten easily, as shitty as it rapidly became.

#28 Posted by Darji (5412 posts) -

The best games of Japan get translated and put out in English speaking areas of the world, and the rubbish games don't. This is why Japanese games seem to be of a better standard, just because you're only seeing the best of them.

It's also a matter of personal choice. My most memorable games are Half Life series, System/Bioshock, Thief series, GTA etc...all of which are western.

Yeah its mostly a taste think as you said. Your games for example are games that had huge potential but totally blew it in my opinion. And since I love emoton and drama in my games japanese games are way more memorable than western ones for me.

#29 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

I'd agree with you, but for me, it's most definitely a sampling bias, and I suspect that's the case with you, too.

#30 Posted by Deranged (1934 posts) -

Uhh, kind of? I mean, the Japanese market dominated in the late 80's and 90's sure but the Western industry completely took over once the 2000's hit.

Oh and props for using "babes"!

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (36566 posts) -

No, bad games still get translated. Paladin's Quest, for example, and The 7th Saga (although most of the problems with that one came during localization).

#32 Edited by EXTomar (5029 posts) -

I don't know if that is absolutely true. Especially during this generation there are a lot of forgettable Japanese games with highly forgettable characters and yes that includes the ones translated and released in the NA region.

I really don't believe that either Japan or US or anywhere else in the world has an innate or specialized skill in "creating good video games". All regions have exemplars and flubs.

#33 Edited by Veektarius (5340 posts) -
#34 Posted by Willtron (249 posts) -

You used "babes" unironically.

Definitely an opinion I should consider valid.

#35 Edited by LackingSaint (1992 posts) -

I'll take "title made so that people read my uninteresting blog post" for £300.

That's how we play this game, right?

#36 Posted by Dagbiker (7022 posts) -

I agree, but only because, in my experience, being an American. So few Japanese games are released here. And the ones that are, are unique.

I bet if you took a list of every single Japanese game in a year, and every single Western game in a year, and randomly picked ten, or even 100 of those, you would know more of the western games, at least I would. But I have not been exposed to the culture.

#37 Edited by GnomeonFire (881 posts) -

I think the most important factor from OP's list isn't that the games are japanese, but probably that they were early games that were decent in a time where lots of games weren't.

Also, rose-tinted glasses.

#38 Edited by oraknabo (1567 posts) -

It might be true of consoles, but it's the exact opposite on PC. When I think back to the Bullfrog & Looking Glass games, Civ and Sim City, Tomb Raider, the Fallouts, XCOM & Deus Ex those are probably as memorable or more for me.

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (16313 posts) -

Whoops... I must've accidentally hit the GameFAQs bookmark.

This is about the most appropriate response one could hope to make to this topic.

#40 Posted by Hosstile17 (788 posts) -

@shinjiex: I have always found that the games I played in my youth are the games that have stayed with me through the years. I played a lot of Western developed PC games when I was younger. I have never enjoyed JRPGs. Although, I did play through Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run.

Also, be less misogynist.

#41 Posted by Jams (3043 posts) -

I think they're both on equal grounds. For every Japanese game that I love, I can think of a western game of that same era that I love too. Though I do believe Japanese games have fallen to the wayside a lot these past couple of years. Doesn't mean they're donezoes though.

#42 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4918 posts) -

lol

#43 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (4011 posts) -

I think a lot of it has to do with nostalgia at a time when Japanese games dominated the console market. Has little to do with Japanese games having better story. I love FF 7 but that story is kinda nonsense. Fun engaging nonsense but nonsense.

#44 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (3689 posts) -

Can't say I agree, I think Japanese games and storytelling is mostly stuck in a rut. There are fine examples of stories in games from across the world, but I don't think any one country is good a great job. It comes down to what you find novel. Purhaps, thing that go over your head or that are different are memorable...but good...no not good.

#45 Edited by Brodehouse (10518 posts) -

"Western games are not memorable!"

"What trenchant insight!"

"Japanese games are soulless."

"DAS RACIST!!"

#46 Posted by Hunter5024 (6365 posts) -

@hosstile17 said:

A misogynist is someone who hates women. Finding women attractive doesn't make you a misogynist even if you call them "babes" creepily.

#47 Posted by Darji (5412 posts) -

@extomar said:

I don't know if that is absolutely true. Especially during this generation there are a lot of forgettable Japanese games with highly forgettable characters and yes that includes the ones translated and released in the NA region.

I really don't believe that either Japan or US or anywhere else in the world has an innate or specialized skill in "creating good video games". All regions have exemplars and flubs.

Of course but Japanese games are very different from western ones. And if you like that more you will most likely remember more moments from Japanese games.

#48 Edited by ImmortalSaiyan (4745 posts) -

@hosstile17 said:

A misogynist is someone who hates women. Finding women attractive doesn't make you a misogynist even if you call them "babes" creepily.

One could argue that he only cares about the looks of those characters. Wait, why am I talking about this.

That is kinda hard to hard to read, due to a lack of grammer. I do agree with the sentiment, at least on a personal level. Most of the games to leave big impacts on me have been Japanese.

#49 Posted by Mrsignerman44 (1105 posts) -

You're completely wrong on this one.

#50 Edited by jdh5153 (1097 posts) -

Japanese games make me want to throw up. I hate anime and any anime inspired, pointy haired, wide eyed, character in Japanese games. I hate how they're all trying to look flashy and make absolutely NO sense (Devil May Cry). Hate the techno music in Japanese games, hate the stupid dialogue. Japanese games can just stay in Japan for all I care.