#1 Posted by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -

So, I'm not gonna sit around watching a video of sitting around. Surfing the web while listening I tend to tune it out eventually. I imagine he chose the video format to easily limit the content to subscribers, but this ultimately results in me not watching/hearing it, despite the fact that it's a pretty interesting feature.

Am I alone in this? I'd love Jar Time in audio form for commutes and such.

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2759 posts) -

If I remember premium members can download videos. Right? Then couldn't you convert that to a mp3?

#3 Posted by Maajin (1088 posts) -

I like looking into his soul.

#4 Posted by RazielCuts (2986 posts) -

I posted this question before and I got the same response gave but that's kind of just hassle. I don't know, sometimes its good to see Jeff's expression and motions but yeah, it would be cool when they're an 1hr + to have an MP3 download to take on the go.

#5 Posted by Zzzleepy (162 posts) -

I used to just download it and convert the video into mp3 and listen to it on my phone while I was on the move, not that hard to do.

#6 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

Video converting ourselves for a better user experience? What is this, 2008?

As a premium member that signed up pretty much exclusively for the jar videos (good job gerstmann) I find it a tad jarring that there still is no audio download option for these.

#7 Edited by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -

Like @RazielCuts and points out, downloading and converting the video, though easy to do, is kind of a hassle. So what I'm saying is, that it'd be a cool thing to not make paying members jump through those sorts of hoops.

#8 Posted by Questionable (619 posts) -

I wonder what the logic behind this is, the could just have given them podcast treatment. It's not like we have weekly video footage of 4 guys talking into microphones for 3 hours straight

Yes we CAN convert them ourselves but the real question is, should we have to?
In its current form the video feed adds little to the overall product other than making the Jar a thing.

#9 Posted by BisonHero (7029 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

If I remember premium members can download videos. Right? Then couldn't you convert that to a mp3?

I download it, but then whatever, I've already spent the bandwidth downloading the video version, so I don't see the point in converting it to audio-only. I put the video file on my phone, put that phone in my pocket, then put on headphones and listen to it. Sure, it's wasting battery playing a bunch of video I'm not watching, but whatever, my brightness isn't that high.

#10 Posted by SharkEthic (1063 posts) -

@Questionable said:

I wonder what the logic behind this is, the could just have given them podcast treatment. It's not like we have weekly video footage of 4 guys talking into microphones for 3 hours straight Yes we CAN convert them ourselves but the real question is, should we have to? In its current form the video feed adds little to the overall product other than making the Jar a thing.

Like I said in my original post, they already have the site-architecture in place to limit videos to subscribers, so I imagine that's the reasoning behind the chosen format.

#11 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

I'll have to mess around with it later, but IIRC, it's relatively trivial to rip the audio out of the video with Audacity. I'd suggest that I or someone else could post a link to download just the audio, but I feel like that would devalue subscriber content.

@Questionable said:

I find it a tad jarring that there still is no audio download option for these.

Well done.

#12 Posted by Bocam (3821 posts) -

Jeff wants it only in video format

#13 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -

@Questionable said:

Video converting ourselves for a better user experience? What is this, 2008? As a premium member that signed up pretty much exclusively for the jar videos (good job gerstmann) I find it a tad jarring that there still is no audio download option for these.

@Questionable said:

I wonder what the logic behind this is, the could just have given them podcast treatment. It's not like we have weekly video footage of 4 guys talking into microphones for 3 hours straight Yes we CAN convert them ourselves but the real question is, should we have to? In its current form the video feed adds little to the overall product other than making the Jar a thing.

Podcasts are podcasts and Jar Times are videos. Nothing prevents you from ripping the audio into an MP3 file, but that's just not how Jar Time was conceived. If Jeff had wanted to do another podcast (Iike the Nintendownload Express), he would have done it.

#14 Posted by Sanj (2537 posts) -

Yeah I also usually leave it on in the background while surfing the web.