Jason needs to be in front of the camera more often

• 74 results
defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

He's a full member of the staff but at this point he's basically fulfilling the role that Ian did. I want to know more about this dude, hear what he has to say beyond the introductory podcast.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He seems way more knowledgable about videogames than Dan, they should probably just switch positions.

PKB_Noitwont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well I happen to think that Jason is doing an AMAZING job in production. Go duder!

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then they'd be back to not having a dedicated production guy.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, I barely know what he looks or sounds like. I understand he is a production guy but surely he can appear in a video sometime.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Seikenfreak

Indeed. I think the guys behind the camera like Vinny, Drew, and now Jason are just as much a crew as the rest and I would like to hear more from Jason.

Especially when they are doing something like MGS and clearly Jason knows a thing or two about whats up with the game, I don't see why he shouldn't jump in more to throw in 2 cents.

Not sure why he hasn't been on the podcast except for the intro one. But I suppose it isn't far fetched to think that he has a different life outside of work and doesn't go home and play games all day. Somehow I doubt this but whatever.

I'm sure they have their reasons, whether it's the Senior staff's idea to just let him get comfortable behind the scenes first or maybe Jason is camera shy and wants to get comfortable around the guys first and get a feel for the social flow. At least thats how I am at a new job.

Regardless, if you are reading Jason, we want to hear from you!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Jason is doing a great job but I would love to see them give him a series or some chance to be on camera.

Maybe he doesn't want to though. People need to realize that.

Anyways as a fan I would like to hear more from him. Even jumping into videos. He has been helpful and funny when he rarely has.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By conmulligan

Yeah, I completely agree. It's so strange for Giant Bomb to have someone on staff and not expose them to the audience even occasionally.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Based on the fact that Drew has been in a lot of content recently, Jason probably has production work to do.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason is doing a great job but I would love to see them give him a series or some chance to be on camera.

Anyways as a fan I would like to hear more from him. Even jumping into videos. He has been helpful and funny when he rarely has.

Yep. Basically what I have been thinking since he joined up with the crew. Maybe he just isn't about that life. I wouldn't mind him chiming in more often if he feels he can help the crew with whatever they're trying to do. Especially after they've already juiced the comedy/madness out of a situation. "Like ok, guys, we're good. Let's just keep this train moving. I got you guys."

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to see more of him, but remember, there was a time when drew spent nearly all his time behind the camera. He is probably just busy with all the behind the scenes work.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MannyMAR

I say give it some time until they figure out the right logistics. I'm sure in due time Jason will get his time to shine in front of the camera.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Guys not appearing on camera very often is not that weird. For a long, long time Drew was that young guy with the arty website who worked at Backbone.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrfluke

I asked him about this at PAX after the panel, and he says he actually prefers being the one behind the control room. but is down to be on camera when he is needed.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of like Jason as the enigmatic voice of god. Also, not everyone wants to be a 'personality', it's a bigger thing than you would think putting yourself out there on the internet and having to be 'on' for videos.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AMyggen

@myketuna said:
@artisanbreads said:

Yep. Basically what I have been thinking since he joined up with the crew. Maybe he just isn't about that life. I wouldn't mind him chiming in more often if he feels he can help the crew with whatever they're trying to do. Especially after they've already juiced the comedy/madness out of a situation. "Like ok, guys, we're good. Let's just keep this train moving. I got you guys."

He's on a weekly gaming podcast with friends, was in some GI content etc. So that shouldn't be a problem. The Associate Producer job he applied for also stated that getting in front of the camera would be part of the job.

It's only been a couple of months. Drew was behind the camera for way longer before he really started appearing in GB content. They need a full time producer right now, everything else will come in time.

Also, saying that he's "basically fulfilling the role that Ian did" is pretty disrespectful. Ian would occasionally be in the control room when they were understaffed, Jason is now posting a majority of their videos which means that he's producing most of the stuff the SF office does, he has edited a couple of feature videos etc.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@mrfluke said:

I asked him about this at PAX after the panel, and he says he actually prefers being the one behind the control room. but is down to be on camera when he is needed.

Well there you go.

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

Well there you go.

Sounds reasonable to me. Voice of god would be cool too though

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@mrfluke said:

Well there you go.

I think he fills this role really well. He jumps in and gives advice or info in a lot of Quick Looks, which is very much appreciated. I'm okay with him doing whatever he's comfortable with; having a dedicated production guy again is really allowing the crew to do what they want to do. I'd be okay with him on video, of course, but he's doing an excellent job behind-the-scenes.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#20 FinalDasa  Moderator

I expect him to be up front for every fighting game QL.

I can totally understand not wanting to be in front of the camera for everything. It is probably pretty uncomfortable especially if you haven't done it too often before. I do want to see him on occasion but he's been doing a great job so far!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By csl316

As a big fan of GI, I can confirm that Jason rules and I'd welcome it.

But if it's his personal preference then I can respect that, of course. Come to think of it, I became a fan with all his random comments and infinite knowledge while behind the controls.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Brendan

I don't think it's a bad idea having someone being largely behind the camera so that GB actually has a production role being filled. No slight against Jason as I'm sure he's cool.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason may not physically be in front of the camera, but his spirit is everywhere at all times.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Evilsbane

I don't know it's like he is a ghost, very mysterious. And his random input is normally entertaining, like him knowing a few of the CD-I game songs.

I would love to at least have a little bit better of a sense of who he is. I say give him a game segment on UPF so at least he is exposed a bit.

If he doesn't want to though he is quite good as the voice of God.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Flappy

Can't push Dan and Jason at the same time, man. The people won't know who to support.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mems1224

Jason is awesome but if he doesn't want to do more camera stuff or is too busy then thats fine. He should at least pop up once in a while whenever they do something with fighting games. Someone needs to beat that smug look off Jeff's face :P

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll happen over time. When they first hired Drew he wasn't on camera all that much. Thinking back, it really did take a few years before Drew's personality really came through on camera/the podcast. I expect the same thing to happen to Jason. Once a new fighting game comes out, I'm positive he'll tag along on the quick look with Jeff and Brad. That dude knows his shit.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason is killing it at production, but hopefully he will start appearing in more content, he seems really cool. Seems like there is a shitton of production work to be done though.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason is the new voice of God now. Why would you want to rip him away from that?

Besides it wasn't that long ago that we saw Drew in a video maybe once a year if we were lucky.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd like to get to know Jason better. I really didn't follow his work previously at game informer but he seems like a cool dude.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ajamafalous

You guys either must not remember or must not have been around when Drew was just an intern. We knew nothing about him aside from 'Intern Drew'/'Drew the Intern' being pretty good at the Mythic Coke Chug Challenge, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"need" is a strong word. I would love to see him more often I agree, he seems like a pretty funny dude and he's good at fighting games.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

I would love to hear him on the podcast. Whether as a sub or a regular.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its because Jason isn't in front of the camera that they've been able to put out so much good content, or at least a decent part of it. I agree that maybe include him on the podcast every once in a while, but his real value seems to come from how amazing he is at the production end of things.

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cthomer5000

Someone needs to be behind the camera in production. Vinny used to get less screen time, then Drew took on some of those duties and Vinny was very regularly on-camera. The same has now happened with Jason and Drew.

Saying "he needs to be on camera" actually belittles the work he is doing behind the scenes. The whole crew is killing it right now, and production has a lot to do with that.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

Ya know Drew didn't start appearing on camera until like, last year? Year before maybe?

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By winsord

I'd like to see more of him too, but I kind of assume there's a reason he hasn't been on camera more. Once Drew started to be on camera more, it became kind of an awkward juggle between him and Vinny whenever they had to switch spots. By having a dedicated production person, it kind of just makes things a lot more straightforward. At most sites you wouldn't think twice about it, but it becomes a little weird here because we're so used to everyone's personalities being frequently presented in the content; it's never seemed like he's too shy to be on camera. There's also the part of just getting settled in his new role and used to all of the different styles of Giant Bomb shooting (static shoots like Quick Looks, facecam for premium content, camera switching and general tricasting for more produced things like UPF, etc). Assuming I'm right, I completely get wanting at least one dedicated production worker in a two-person production team.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping for some sort of fighting games stream where he could join in and bring substantial insight.

But you know, he *was* hired as a video producer.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kind of like that he isn't pushing himself to be on camera and instead is open to being on camera if he has to be. Some times you just need that person who doesn't need nor want to be on camera every time one turns on.

Zamolxes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Zamolxes

I'm pretty sure we will see him in the Mortal Kombat X quick look.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#41  Edited By Yummylee

Saying he ''needs'' to is a strong way to put it. If Jason prefers working behind the scenes then by all means let him stay there. I'm not opposed to him showing his face a little more, though, but so long as it feels right for the occasion and he's not being thrown into the limelight purely for the sake of getting him out there.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like his voice just popping in on videos now and then. The " God damnit Dan" while talking about Blade Runner really made me laugh.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the very least, he should be on for fighting games. Was disappointed when he was busy to talk about EVO for the bombcast.

TimeLeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As someone who is really into fighting games, I'd really like to see more of Jason in video content. Hopefully he features in fighting game quicklooks, would love to hear some in-depth opinions.

I do like the fact he chimes in from the control room from time to time though! :P

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Build a fence then when Jason has something wise to chime in he can pop-up with half his face showing and offer his wisdom.

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I kinda figure he was hired to be the dedicated guy behind the camera and to focus on that.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By s-a-n-JR

It would be cool to see more of him. Personally, I'd love to see him do a fighting-game video series. My suggestion would be a series where Jason tries to teach another staff member how to play Ultra Street Fighter 4 on a FGC level.

But all in due time i'm sure. Look how long it took for Drew to end up in the spot-light.

Avatar image for thelegendofmart
TheLegendOfMart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a full member of the staff but at this point he's basically fulfilling the role that Ian did. I want to know more about this dude, hear what he has to say beyond the introductory podcast.

The producer position was advertised on the basis that it would be full time production, not a front of camera personality.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need somebody to just handle production. First they had Vinny who turned out to be one of the best on screen personalities and now they have Drew who has improved a ton and is really good on camera now. If the same happened to Jason and he started having to appear in more and more stuff then the production will get harder again

defaultprophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By defaultprophet

@yummylee said:

Saying he ''needs'' to is a strong way to put it. If Jason prefers working behind the scenes then by all means let him stay there. I'm not opposed to him showing his face a little more, though, but so long as it feels right for the occasion and he's not being thrown into the limelight purely for the sake of getting him out there.

You're right. I meant it as a strong form of wanting, not a demand. Like "I neeeeeeed Chinese food", no I don't I'm just hungry and Chinese food would hit the spot.

@thelegendofmart said:

@defaultprophet said:

The producer position was advertised on the basis that it would be full time production, not a front of camera personality.

True, but Drew wasn't hired as an onscreen dude either.