• 80 results
#1 Posted by Needle (64 posts) -

As noted on his Twitter, Jeff was briefly (about 3 minutes) interviewed on a rather generic CBS-owned AM radio station based out of Minneapolis, MN. The interview was about Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, which is of course releasing at Midnight tonight.

I took the liberty of taping the interview, the MP3 is available below to anyone who cares.

http://www.fromthedpad.com/gb/gb_blops.mp3

Honestly, the interview is not terribly exciting or insightful, but you can tell that Jeff is trying REALLY HARD to keep concepts simple for the host, who is clearly a man who has been hosting an obsolete AM radio station for far too long.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Thanks for posting this! Listening now.

#3 Posted by CaLe (3897 posts) -

I listened to it live, and some of the ads leading up to this segment... Oh god damn. I dunno how people put up with this some of this stuff.

#4 Posted by Pop (2591 posts) -

thanks for recording this, I am so curious I could burst!

#5 Posted by Abendlaender (2732 posts) -

Hearing Jeff explain what a "First Person Shooter" is, was kinda amusing, but I think he did a good job

#6 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

That host has a killer radio voice.

#7 Posted by KaneRobot (1395 posts) -

"I have to confess, Jeff, I'm not really big into the games..."

PSSHHH, GET OUTTA TOWN

#8 Posted by BoOzak (869 posts) -

@CaLe said:

I listened to it live, and some of the ads leading up to this segment... Oh god damn. I dunno how people put up with this some of this stuff.

Yeah, I feel the same way about about cable TV etc. but to some it's just background noise so it's less grating.

I'm trying to imagine what impression i'd get from Jeff's description of Blops2 had I never played games and it sounds fucking stupid. Which weirdly enough isnt too far off from my informed impression of the game. Still going to play it though. ;)

#9 Edited by Tennmuerti (7951 posts) -

It's basically paintball and lazertag.

#10 Posted by RedCricketChase (441 posts) -

Jeff is so great. Being willing to talk to this guy about Blops II at that hour in the morning. He is a god among men haha

#11 Posted by MAJID (205 posts) -

HAHAHAH You can tell the host has never used the words "call of duty" in a sentence before.

#12 Posted by DukesT3 (1888 posts) -

Pure voice for radio that host has.

#13 Posted by Neurotic (631 posts) -

It is really weird to hear Jeff talk about games outside of the context of Giant Bomb.

Very cool of him to get up early in the morning just for a 3 minute radio interview on an AM station though.

#14 Posted by Daiphyer (1301 posts) -

That was pretty funny.

"You see the gun as if you're holding it in front of your face."

#15 Posted by Soap (3559 posts) -

Listening to that man say Call of Duty Black Ops 2 made my day, he had no idea what it was, brilliant

#16 Posted by Christoffer (1742 posts) -

Always weird to hear radio voice Jeff. Strict, authoritative and to the point. He does it well.

And I love how the host pronounces GIantbomb.

Thanks for sharing

#17 Posted by Nux (2293 posts) -

That was a good listen. I forgot how good Jeff is at dumbing things down for non-gamers.

#18 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

I think that went quite well for both involved.

#19 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5158 posts) -

Halo can't get no AM radio respect

#20 Posted by Zinc (200 posts) -

That host sure had the voice for radio. Had anyone evere heard the 60 second segments that Jeff does for CBS radio? I was always curious about them.

#21 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -

I don't know, that was somehow really informative for a 3 minute segment. Jeff did good. 
Also the host wasn't all sleazy and disgusting, so whatever. It was decent.

#22 Posted by JYoung (151 posts) -

That made my day haha.

#23 Posted by Beforet (2911 posts) -

That was one of the sexiest radio voices I've heard. I thought those only existed in movies these days.

#24 Posted by FLStyle (4508 posts) -

@Zinc said:

That host sure had the voice for radio. Had anyone evere heard the 60 second segments that Jeff does for CBS radio? I was always curious about them.

He said he'd start uploading them to GB at some point but he's never said anything about them like today's on Twitter, probably doesn't know himself when they're used on CBS Radio.

Jeff did a good job breaking things down for what I imagine are listeners who know as little about games as the host does.

#25 Posted by Kerned (1169 posts) -

I really just wanted the host to say "Giant Bomb dot com. It's a website. About video games".

#26 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

Giant Bomb- All the latest on game stuff

#27 Posted by Nightriff (4859 posts) -

You know what? That wasn't too bad, thought the guy was respectful and Jeff as always did a kick ass job but....did the host call Jeff John at the end?

#28 Posted by Pabba (306 posts) -

Thanks for recording this! Think Jeff did a good job of summarizing what BLOPS II is all about: shooting.

#29 Posted by pweidman (2282 posts) -

Jeff handled that with extreme professionalism, unsurprisingly. He will be a gaming spokesman on CNN, WSJ, and the like soon. 0.0

At least he should be.

#30 Posted by Linkster7 (1009 posts) -

Jeff is great at the talking isn't he.

#31 Posted by JackSukeru (5897 posts) -

All of my respect to how well Jeff handled that.

#32 Posted by ModernAlkemie (357 posts) -

The only disappointment I had was that Jeff didn't use his Big Jeffrey persona. I guess you've gotta save that for when you go big time on the FM station.

#33 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

It's so funny and weird (especially the latter) to hear Jeff talk in such a simplified manner so people who have never played games might kind of get an understanding as to what Call of Duty is. He did a pretty stellar job nonetheless.

Paintball and laser tag!

#34 Posted by Dtat (1623 posts) -

@Tennmuerti said:

It's basically paintball and lazertag.

That is a great way to describe multiplayer FPS games to the layman. Would never have thought of it that way. Good job, Jeff!

#35 Posted by Bait003 (35 posts) -

so after listen to that my respect for Jeff has gone even higher (like it wasn't head that directions anyways). it was nice to listen to Jeff talk about games to "layman" and break it down really well. i also like how the host did admit about not knowing too much about games (nice show of professionalism for the radio host.

#36 Posted by Unequivocable (213 posts) -

Do you remember that thing from a few years back about the Call of Duty Black Ops Two and how realistic the graphics were? The radio guy sure remembers that.

#37 Posted by Geurge (96 posts) -

@pweidman: Wasn't he on some big TV show for the Dreamcast launch? Was definitely some sort of breakfast show.

#38 Posted by Callumz (26 posts) -

Jeff's ability to talk to the so-called 'mainstream' never ceases to amaze me. He manages to be informative without being condescending. A rare skill within the gaming press.

#39 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

@Geurge said:

@pweidman: Wasn't he on some big TV show for the Dreamcast launch? Was definitely some sort of breakfast show.

You're talking about Good Morning America, I'm pretty sure.

#40 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@Neurotic said:

It is really weird to hear Jeff talk about games outside of the context of Giant Bomb.

Very cool of him to get up early in the morning just for a 3 minute radio interview on an AM station though.

It's really weird hearing that guy plug "Giant Bomb dot com"

Also yea Jeff is a boss on stuff like this, although explaining the first-person shooting game was pretty funny.
#41 Posted by Driam (156 posts) -

@Unequivocable: There were a lot of people talking about how lifelike the graphics in Call of Duty: Black Ops - Two Years Ago were.

#42 Posted by mosespippy (3973 posts) -

@Zinc: I've even tried listening to CBS talk radio stations online to try and hear one but they block Canadian listeners.

#43 Posted by USER2000 (31 posts) -

The host sounded like Stephen McHattie in the film Pontypool http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1226681/

#44 Posted by Synaptic (305 posts) -

@Driam said:

@Unequivocable: There were a lot of people talking about how lifelike the graphics in Call of Duty: Black Ops - Two Years Ago were.

i laughed pretty hard

#45 Posted by Vexxan (4612 posts) -

Jeff did good, it can be hard to explain video game stuff to people who don't play much games.

#46 Posted by chilibean_3 (1610 posts) -

Thanks for posting this, duder. Jeff did a pretty good job of breaking it down and keeping the pace up for a short interview.

#47 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6385 posts) -

You just know Jeff could have gone on and on (I could hear it in his voice), but knew that his time was very limited.

#48 Posted by dagas (2744 posts) -

Holy shit Jeff sounds like marketing man. Was he paid to do this? The way he spoke I would have guessed he did PR for the game if I didn't know better. That is usually how guests on the Major Nelson Podcast sounds like. I realize you have to dumb it down but still.

#49 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Geurge said:

You're talking about Good Morning America, I'm pretty sure.

God I hate when mainstream people talk about video games. She sounded like such an asshat.

#50 Posted by vikingdeath1 (925 posts) -

Man, Jeff's a pretty good speaker. I had thought it was all charisma & stupidity but no more.