Jeff nearly presented Ign's Up at Noon

Bob_Loblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bob_Loblaw

I paid a rare visit to IGN today and was interested to read Greg Miller's article about going into remission from cancer.

http://www.ign.com/blogs/greggy-ign/2012/12/03/greg-miller-beats-cancer-for-now/

In it he gives a long list of personal thanks including one to our own Jeff Gerstmann who he reached out to be an emergency stand in host of up at noon when he had an emergency treatment.

Jeff was happy to offer his services, although it turned out they weren't required but it was great to see an instance where a willingness to help out a fellow videogamesman superseded any perceived loyalty or rivalry to one website. Jeff is always ready to give praise of good work where it's due and appear on other shows whether it's an affiliated site or not and it's honesty like that that keeps me coming back to Giant Bomb

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That's pretty cool. Also a little weird that IGN wouldn't have enough extra guys on hand to cover up for Greg, but still cool.

Also, just want to say, I'm glad Greg's doing better.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Don't like his videos but good for him for beating cancer.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Benny

@MooseyMcMan said:

That's pretty cool. Also a little weird that IGN wouldn't have enough extra guys on hand to cover up for Greg, but still cool.

Also, just want to say, I'm glad Greg's doing better.

I'm sure there are other on camera guys at IGN, but I doubt there are any 'Top Men' that could actually fill in proper for Greg. Probably need some decent comedic timing to make it work.

Cancer scares the shit out of me, good on him for fighting back.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I don't think the humor in his show is great, but he seems like a nice dude, good for him.

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Xeirus

Man he looks terrible, that's really sad.

Glad he's doing better.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RazielCuts

@Sweep: Yup, being snarky about cancer never makes you the good guy :P

That's cool and all but yeah I have to agree with @MooseyMcMan its a little weird they wouldn't use someone inside IGN to cover, I mean would Jeff be getting paid to cover for him? Surely it would be easier to use someone who's already on the IGN payroll? (although saying all of this I know none of the personalities at IGN so they could all be super shitty infront of camera). I'm not against cross pollination of the sites though, it's what makes the E3 podcasts so fun.

Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Rokkaku

This reminds me of how I miss On The Spot. Anyone else? And well done Greg, been a fan of yours for years.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@RazielCuts: In fairness, I wasn't not caring about the cancer (Which sucks, obviously) I was more not caring about the fact that Jeff nearly presented the show.

I went ahead and removed my own comment as I realised that I sounded a lot more of a dick than I had intended. My bad, I guess.

AckbarTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AckbarTheGreat

I'm kind of disappointed this is a "Jeff was nearly on Up at noon!" and not a "Greg Miller beat cancer!" thread.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By MachoFantastico

Aren't Jeff and Greg friends anyway, and isn't that show Greg's baby. Not surprised if he'd want someone with a solid reputation behind him jumping in and hosting. Who else do IGN have?

Very happy to hear about Greg doing well, I'm not always a fan of his reviews but he seems a real nice chap and passionate about games which I always appreciate.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By mesoian

It'd be interesting to see what Jeff and Brian Altano could do together. I feel like their styles would mesh well with one another.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShockD
@Sweep said:

In fairness, I wasn't not caring about the cancer (Which sucks, obviously) I was more not caring about the fact that Jeff nearly presented the show.

I went ahead and removed my own comment as I realised that I sounded a lot more of a dick than I had intended. My bad, I guess.

I don't understand why people stress out that Jeff has nearly been mentioned when one man's life has been saved.
I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By I_smell

Weird I'd expect Brian Altano to fill in. Or Anthony Galleigos (I'm not spelling that right in a million years)
In Jeff's subscriber videos, he seems pretty impressed by Greg and IGN's ideas. 

Also congratulations Greg Miller, beyond

EDIT- This is a pretty good quote aswel:
"Hey, Randy Pitchford. Thanks for cutting my hair."
HAHahaha the episode is named " Greg Miller Beats Cancer & Planetside 2 Hints" 

lmao AGAIN: "Speaking of Final Fantasy: It's MY final fantasy to interview our guest this week!"

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RazielCuts

@Sweep: yeah I know, it was just unfortunate.

@Mesoian: And, heeeeellllll no! Brian Altano is the thing Jeff is making fun off when he goes all 'bro' and frat boy. That guy hasn't been in my life since I stopped listening to rebel fm but every story started with him saying 'so I fucked this bitch right..' there was no irony involved, fuck that guy.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By MocBucket62

Great for Miller! Glad to see him beating cancer! 

Though I'm a little curious of how Jeff would of presented Up at Noon if Greg Miller wasn't up for it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By toowalrus

I don't know... what that is.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By I_smell
@TooWalrus said:

Oh it's a disease that kills people.
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deusx

@Mesoian said:

It'd be interesting to see what Jeff and Brian Altano could do together. I feel like their styles would mesh well with one another.

That would be too damn awesome for the internet. BRAP BRAP!

Also, I think Greg Miller is awesome, I'm glad he's doing well.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Nentisys

@Benny said:

Probably need some decent comedic timing to make it work.

Then why is Greg hosting it? He has zero comedy talent.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By brownsfantb

Great to hear about Greg beating cancer and I hope it stays away. Cancer sucks man. I've never watched his show but I assume he thought that Jeff would be the best guy to fill-in for him so that's why he reached out to Jeff instead of anybody else at IGN.

@RazielCuts: I think it's a bit of an act with Altano. Did you know he hates sports and CoD and absolutely loves Rayman? I don't think there are too many 'bros' who even know what Rayman is.

contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By contagious

It is very cool that he is in remission, it is a great feeling and a huge weight off of your entire body when you get told those results.

I find it strange that he and so many people refer to it as "beating" cancer though, sure he decided to go through with the chemo but it has not been his skills or abilities that has seen him survive this far, its just luck, cancer is not fair.

Its not as if all the people who have died to it did not try hard enough when getting their chemo every two weeks, they were just unlucky, they booked that checkup two months too late or they just happened to not show any signs of it. Cancer just sucks and its shitty realising that you have very little control over whether or not you live to see your 10th, 30th or 60th birthday.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By toowalrus
@I_smell
@TooWalrus said:

Oh it's a disease that kills people.
IGN's 'Up at Noon' is a disease that kills people? Wow, I'm glad I avoided it all this time.
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@contagious said:

I find it strange that he and so many people refer to it as "beating" cancer though, sure he decided to go through with the chemo but it has not been his skills or abilities that has seen him survive this far, its just luck, cancer is not fair.

.............................................................................................

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#25  Edited By Phatmac

Hey guys? How about we focus on the fact that a great guy like Greg Miller is beating cancer. Thanks.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By laserbolts

No idea who this Greg guy is but I probably wouldn't have listened to that IGN thing anyways so congrats to Greg.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By dietmango

I've always stayed away from IGN for obvious reasons, but when it comes to someone's life on the line, it's a different story. Grats to Greg for surviving, here's to him getting better, obviously to the point in which he doesn't have to do chemotherapy anymore.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By JasonR86

@TooWalrus said:

Dude is a games journalist, had cancer, and now it is in remission.

I'm glad he's doing better. He seems like a really nice guy even if I don't always like the content he makes.

PokeIkzai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PokeIkzai

I haven't seen much of Up at Noon nor am I very familiar with Greg Miller but from what I have seen he seems to be a very nice person. I'm very happy he's beat cancer.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By JasonR86

@brownsfantb said:

Great to hear about Greg beating cancer and I hope it stays away. Cancer sucks man. I've never watched his show but I assume he thought that Jeff would be the best guy to fill-in for him so that's why he reached out to Jeff instead of anybody else at IGN.

@RazielCuts: I think it's a bit of an act with Altano. Did you know he hates sports and CoD and absolutely loves Rayman? I don't think there are too many 'bros' who even know what Rayman is.

I like sports and have liked COD. Am I a bro? Cause I know and really like Rayman. Maybe I'm a 1%'er.