#1 Edited by jennibelle (185 posts) -

I didn't know this. Someone I found myself on Wikipedia looking at gerstmann syndrome then wondered if Jeff was related to Josef Gerstmann googled him and found out about his shocking past as a singer in a band called Headboard? This is amazing. Also the songs are pretty good. Also the one the only Alex Navarro also a drummer in said band? This was 1996! Also one of their songs is featured on Degrassi High o.o I'm so confused right now. Would love to see a band reunion someday on UPF. I'd love to hear some more songs out of Jeff.

#2 Posted by Gamer_152 (13970 posts) -

Jeff's actually been with a few different acts over the years. He was with Headboard, but he also did some stuff with Suburban All-Stars, and the one you should really be looking out for is Midnight Brown. There are four separate Midnight Brown albums, all free for download and jam-packed full of Jeff.

#3 Posted by joshwent (1777 posts) -

I think you meant, "Jeff is a rockstar". (or at least a Def Jam Rapstar)

#4 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (4429 posts) -

Jeff is still a rockstar.

#5 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (4429 posts) -
#6 Edited by ILikePopCans (711 posts) -

Jeff drinks rockstar

#7 Posted by Kovie (193 posts) -
#8 Posted by jennibelle (185 posts) -

He was on Good Morning America for the Dreamcast launch too o.o Wow.

#9 Posted by jimmyfenix (3679 posts) -
#10 Edited by ThunderSlash (1367 posts) -
#12 Edited by Skyfire543 (581 posts) -

Welcome to Giantbomb

#13 Posted by BillyMaysRIP (151 posts) -
#14 Posted by erhard (346 posts) -

#15 Posted by KatyGaGa (265 posts) -

Jeff was the original Tyler

#16 Edited by FlipperDesert (2069 posts) -
#17 Edited by mosespippy (3735 posts) -

Fun trivia; The first performance by Headboard was as an opening act for Skillet.

#18 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1868 posts) -

Oh my gosh, I can't believe they had a TommyFebruary6 cover! That's pretty intense.

#19 Posted by fatalbanana (126 posts) -

That's nothing, Jeff Gerstmann was also in a dirty rap group with none other than world famous (god rest his soul) Ryan T Davis called Suburban All-Stars. Theres an album of there's called Karaoke Godfathers some where in the ethers of the internet if you can find it.

#20 Posted by Bollard (5025 posts) -
#21 Posted by PimblyCharles (1104 posts) -

#22 Edited by J23 (19 posts) -

When I say "nasty", you say "woo".

That's nothing, Jeff Gerstmann was also in a dirty rap group with none other than world famous (god rest his soul) Ryan T Davis called Suburban All-Stars. Theres an album of there's called Karaoke Godfathers some where in the ethers of the internet if you can find it.

#23 Posted by Sammo21 (3021 posts) -

I was going to say Jeff IS a rockstar and always has been.

#24 Edited by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

He also used to live in Philadelphia with his brother.

#25 Posted by Kraznor (1573 posts) -

First E3 I went to, got Alex and Jeff to sign my copy of "Brendan Goes to College". Retirement plan taken care of.

#26 Edited by GaspoweR (2509 posts) -

https://soundcloud.com/jeff-gerstmann/midnight-brown-reggae-vampire

He also dabbled with Reggae :P

#27 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (360 posts) -

My new favorite @alex picture, alongside fat Matt Damon.

#28 Posted by Jimbo (9709 posts) -

Where do you think Jazzy Jeff got his name from?

#29 Posted by RockyRaccoon37 (360 posts) -

#30 Edited by TooWalrus (12972 posts) -

He had a website showing us how to pump gas at one point, too.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (11591 posts) -
#32 Edited by RockyRaccoon37 (360 posts) -

This sounds tremendous.

#33 Posted by TooWalrus (12972 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

This sounds tremendous.

#34 Posted by futurstock (114 posts) -

jeff is the fucking man

#35 Posted by AMyggen (1986 posts) -

From his Tumblr (from today, actually!):

"It will always be hilarious to me that people know who Tsunami Bomb is. To me that was always the band that Dominic started because he was angry about Headboard (right down to writing a song about it). I was angry about Headboard and started a group out of it, too, but never felt the need to write songs about it. If I remember correctly, they went on to kick him out of his own band, which seemed like a pretty shitty thing to do.

I don’t know Mike Park, but I think we played at Ska Against Racism once?

Anyway, Headboard was not big. It probably got a little more exposure after Brendan and I left, since we were more or less preventing it from becoming a stone cold business that was very much into making whatever music it’d need to make to find a record deal. But that was probably also the mentality that destroyed the whole thing, in the end. Typical band shit, really. I really enjoyed writing new material and playing shows. It was a fun group of people and led to some really strange times, but it was intensely frustrating at times and really wasn’t something I was going to quit my day job over.

I can only imagine that these same events play themselves out over and over again around here with different people plugged into the slots, since it all seems like such standard band/scene shit. But I don’t really keep up with it these days."

#36 Edited by Datajack (80 posts) -

Personal Fav, great for cardio workout. Such a shame no more mixes of these:

http://grooveshark.com/s/In+The+Can+Butterfly+Mix/2EWyP8