• 91 results
#2 Posted by The_Nubster (1950 posts) -

I was curious as to where this was! Thanks a ton. :)

#3 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

Anyway of watching this on an iPhone?

#4 Posted by JamesJeux007 (454 posts) -

Thank you :')

#5 Posted by Bollard (5026 posts) -

Wait what the... I thought this was A) in an hour and B) also on GiantBomb at the same time!?

#6 Posted by Blackout62 (1303 posts) -

The feed is at GameStop? THEY'RE DESTROYING THE COMPANY!

#7 Posted by Treadstone (13 posts) -

I hope Jeff doesn't end up blaming himself for the whole thing.

#8 Posted by Grixxel (758 posts) -

I can only hope this ends up being amazing for everyone involved and we end with an amazing community. . . I hope. :|

#9 Edited by George_Hukas (1317 posts) -
#10 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Trying to watch it, but my damn internet is pretty slow tonight. Having to stop and buffer every few seconds. This whole thing is pretty crazy.

#11 Posted by Ben_H (3202 posts) -
@Treadstone said:

I hope Jeff doesn't end up blaming himself for the whole thing.

He's not. He blamed the shady management that was in charge at the time and is no longer around.
#12 Posted by ocdog45 (675 posts) -
#13 Posted by Red (5991 posts) -

This reminds me of the third through fifth seasons of Friday Night Lights. This analogy spoils FNL:

Coach Eric Taylor has some problems with the management of his team, and is fired. He goes off and coaches a new Football team, which slowly rises up the state ranking. Some people from the Dillon Panthers (the original team) leave to join the new East Dillon Lions (the new team). At the end of the fifth season, with the management problems gone, he is offered a job back as coach of the combined team, with better resources and players. While Taylor didn't take the job so he could move to Pennsylvania where his wife received a job, the local offer would've been totally fine otherwise.

SOUND FAMILIAR?

#14 Posted by KoolAid (738 posts) -

Is Matt Roire going with screened?

#15 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

Just tuning in. Have they talked about Jeff's reason for leaving Gamespot yet?

#16 Posted by Vigil80 (428 posts) -

A little confused, I suppose. How is what Jeff disclosed about Gerstmanngate different from what has been more or less assumed the whole time?

The only thing that seems new is that management was already mad about a previous review that ruffled feathers before K&L came along.

#17 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

@ocdog45 said:

Use the Giantbomb feed http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Works a lot better. At least the GB side allows users to change quality a little better. Thanks, duder.

#18 Posted by SamDrugbringer (1099 posts) -

They spoke about it in the beginning.

It seems to have went down more or less the way everyone heard.

#19 Posted by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

Rookie management. Guys who didn't know how the business of video game journalism worked panicked and fired him. Idiots. Oh well, things turned out for the best as we all know.

Too bad Alex is still part of the team... :(

#20 Posted by Jayzilla (2538 posts) -

That was crazy. I stayed on at GameSpot anyways back in the day. This just makes it more fun!

#21 Posted by VinLieger (100 posts) -

@Vigil80 said:

A little confused, I suppose. How is what Jeff disclosed about Gerstmanngate different from what has been more or less assumed the whole time?

The only thing that seems new is that management was already mad about a previous review that ruffled feathers before K&L came along.

Well everyone always assumed that it was a direct result of his Kane and Lynch review but he explained it that it was more the managements inexperience with dealing with an editorial staff plus the threats of losing ad money which yes was to do with the review but it was not a direct result

#22 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

John seems like a wet blanket. Jeff was trying to joke around, like mentioning the bar and 5 hour podcasts, and he was not having any of it. If that's the tone at Gamespot I feel sorry for the guys having to work with them.

#23 Posted by gakon (1940 posts) -

@Vigil80 said:

It seems like the main difference is that this had been going on for longer than people had suspected. Kane & Lynch was not the main catalyst, but rather the straw that broke the camel's back. Which is to say, he wasn't fired just because of the K&L review, but his insistence on sticking to his guns editorially got him into trouble in the long run.

But yeah, the story is maybe mostly what everyone thought it was.

#24 Posted by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -
@KoolAid said:

Is Matt Roire going with screened?

Sounds like he's unclear on how it's going to work as well. Follow on twitter @frailgesture
#25 Posted by ffdthree (200 posts) -

Judging from some of the comments I saw, I sense a large amount of animosity between excluse GB members and Gamespot members.

#26 Posted by Funkydupe (3293 posts) -

Jeff did great. I also think Gamespot handled this really respectfully by arranging and hosting the broadcast as a sign of good intentions.

#27 Posted by Froghourt (106 posts) -

Gotta say, I feel a lot better about this entire situation after watching this. Just seeing Jeff lay it out on On the Spot shows that Gamespot is changed, for the better.

This might actually work out after all.

#28 Posted by mrsmiley (967 posts) -

Alright, I'm in. That was a great interview. I was actually shocked that the rumors were true. He posted the low score review, and a few days later, BAM. Fired. Their willingness to be up front about everything means a lot. All is forgiven.

#29 Edited by MrKlorox (11186 posts) -

PSA: it's John Davison, not Davidson.

No second D. It appears not all WM GB staff even know this as the live stream also misspells his name.

#30 Posted by JacDG (2112 posts) -

@Red said:

This reminds me of the third through fifth seasons of Friday Night Lights. This analogy spoils FNL:

Coach Eric Taylor has some problems with the management of his team, and is fired. He goes off and coaches a new Football team, which slowly rises up the state ranking. Some people from the Dillon Panthers (the original team) leave to join the new East Dillon Lions (the new team). At the end of the fifth season, with the management problems gone, he is offered a job back as coach of the combined team, with better resources and players. While Taylor didn't take the job so he could move to Pennsylvania where his wife received a job, the local offer would've been totally fine otherwise.

SOUND FAMILIAR?

Oh man, I love that show.

#31 Posted by Bollard (5026 posts) -

@George_Hukas: Cheers, was pretty short.

#32 Posted by Kevin_Cogneto (925 posts) -

@Vigil80 said:

I think the point Jeff wanted to make was that it wasn't about Kane and Lynch in particular, I think there was some people who believed that IO themselves put pressure on Gamespot to fire him. The explanation given by Jeff today was that there was a deeper level of mismanagement by the money people who were overvaluing short term ad revenue at the expense of the long-term value of the site's editorial integrity. A subtle difference, but it shows that the blowup about the Kane and Lynch review was a symptom, not the cause, of some of Gamespot's troubles at the time.

And according to Jeff, those money people are long gone. So this idea that somehow "Gamespot" is evil is kind of silly. Companies are not people, regardless of what certain judicial bodies might say. Companies don't make decisions, people do. And the people who made the decision to fire Jeff are no longer with the company. So hopefully everyone can chill out and we can see for ourselves what comes out of all this.

#33 Posted by Humanity (7957 posts) -

After all these years it was a lot less intricate than the hype made it out to be. We all thought he got fired because of that K&L review and he did. Jeff is saying how that wasn't really the only reason, but it kinda was the one big reason. Tension between management and Jeff and then that review to tip the scales.

I was hoping he would get into more details about things but for a big clearing of the air they sure used a ton of vague and general terms.

Well now I'm looking forward to seeing a video tour of the new office.

#35 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@msavo said:

John seems like a wet blanket. Jeff was trying to joke around, like mentioning the bar and 5 hour podcasts, and he was not having any of it. If that's the tone at Gamespot I feel sorry for the guys having to work with them.

Exact same thoughts, gamespot has no humor, and Giantbomb is the most personality driven game website out there, does not seem like a good match at all.

#36 Posted by DeadPan (303 posts) -

Thoughts on it all:

Jeff came across great, it seems like there is a weight off his shoulders doing this so im glad in that way. It bring an end to a long saga for him. Both men said all the right things as i thought they would, But...As people have picked up on, Jeff was trying to joke around and John was not going for it. John is an ok guy. He knows his gaming but is a dry shit. He was the guy on 1up yours who really killed all the wackyness that i loved. He has no sense of humor and is VERY corporate. I see this becoming a problem. Not now, but further down the line i can.

Also they have left one of the hardest workers in WM high and dry. Matt Rorie deserves better :(

Im in for the ride. They have promised no change, so i hope they stick to that.

#37 Posted by BonOrbitz (2089 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

Rookie management. Guys who didn't know how the business of video game journalism worked panicked and fired him. Idiots. Oh well, things turned out for the best as we all know.

Don't be a jerk. There's a reason he's with the GB crew.

#38 Posted by kishinfoulux (2077 posts) -

Not seeing the John being a wet blanket complaints. Think you guys are just looking into it too much or were already sour on the idea.

#39 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4866 posts) -

@DeadPan: What happened to matt rorie?

#40 Posted by GooieGreen (452 posts) -

What Jeff said was well known by people at the time. EVERYTHING people have been spewing for years is just like the "money-hat" nonsense at IGN and other sites. It isn't some crazy conspiracy. Why can't it just be simple like this? Is that so hard to take?

Rorie :(

#41 Posted by msavo (7522 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@msavo said:

Exact same thoughts, gamespot has no humor, and Giantbomb is the most personality driven game website out there, does not seem like a good match at all.

Even looking at the Gamespot site it's so cold and mechanical with ads and BUY THIS GAME littered everywhere. I really hope they don't interact with one another on a site level, I don't want any of that shit bleeding into here.

#42 Posted by superscatman (79 posts) -

I did like the idea of bringing in a Gamespot guy who enjoys Dark Souls for Vinny to bounce off of when they do a quicklook. That way the guys who aren't into it won't have to act like they are.

#43 Edited by TheHBK (5407 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@TheHBK said:

Hey, I am still trying to figure out what that reason is. And just take a look here, I am not the one who packed up to NY and then leaves Matt Rorie high and dry.

#44 Edited by Shun_Akiyama (490 posts) -
@msavo said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@msavo said:

Even looking at the Gamespot site it's so cold and mechanical with ads and BUY THIS GAME littered everywhere. I really hope they don't interact with one another on a site level, I don't want any of that shit bleeding into here.

well it's good they are not going to work gamespot then isn't it?
#45 Posted by Mcfart (1425 posts) -

@msavo said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@msavo said:

Don't worry, as long as Kevin V interacts with the GB staff then I'll be happy.

#46 Edited by DeadPan (303 posts) -

@TheHBK said:

@bonorbitz said:

@TheHBK said:

Hey, I am still trying to figure out what that reason is. And just take a look, I am not the one who packed up to NY and then leaves Matt Rorie high and dry.

This!

I like Alex. He is a good writer but it pisses me off that he left Matt with all the hard work and gets rewarded for it while Rorie is waiting without knowing what's going on with Screened. Alex should have stepped down when he moved to the East Coast.

#47 Posted by readymix (173 posts) -

@DeadPan said:

He was the guy on 1up yours who really killed all the wackyness that i loved. He has no sense of humor and is VERY corporate.

I really disagree. I think he's great and funny esp when he was on 1up yours. It really didn't come across today though.

#48 Posted by Gaff (1493 posts) -

@kishinfoulux said:

Not seeing the John being a wet blanket complaints. Think you guys are just looking into it too much or were already sour on the idea.

Standard "interview" format, letting the guest say what they have to say, getting both Jeff's and John's points across to the audience. That's what the stream was for. Maybe people misunderstood?

#49 Posted by bonbolapti (1590 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with Jeff, there's nothing wrong with John, there's absolutely nothing wrong with any of this.

#50 Posted by owack6 (210 posts) -