• 52 results
#1 Edited by csl316 (8765 posts) -

I always tend to make a topic when Jeff shows up on Bonus Round (Gametrailers show hosted by Geoff Keighley). It'll have a new episode every week leading up to E3.

Here is the thing!

First week it's about Xbox conquering E3. Personally, I think they need to kill it with exclusives since the PS4 is getting superior multiplatform versions at the moment (excluding PC, of course).

They need something akin to Sony's conference last year, just good news all around. It's because they're basically trying to do a re-launch. I think it's extremely weird and a little annoying that I keep getting emails about "pre-ordering" a new Xbox One. It's not even saying "get a new one without Kinect!" But it's already been out, dude.

Xbox One brings together the best exclusive games, the most advanced multiplayer, and entertainment experiences you won't find anywhere else. Pre-order now!

If they're trying to brand this as some new era, this E3 needs to have a clear message, solid games, and Phil Spencer being one hell of a host.

I was going to get an Xbox at the end of the year, but with a solid showing this year I may jump in a little earlier.

Anyway, Jeff's always a great guest on Bonus Round so enjoy the episode.

Edit: Here's Sony!

Edit 2: And Nintendo!

Edit 3: Games!

#2 Posted by NTM (7411 posts) -

Thanks for this. I still have Gametrailers on my bookmarks tab, but I rarely go there longer than a few minutes a day now, and never watch anything anymore, but on special occasion, which I consider this to be, I'll watch. I just love when people in the industry, from these sites, get together and talk games.

#3 Posted by Aegon (5659 posts) -

Yeah, they recorded this episode before the no kinect news broke....so this should be fun.

#4 Posted by csl316 (8765 posts) -

@ntm said:

Thanks for this. I still have Gametrailers on my bookmarks tab, but I rarely go there longer than a few minutes a day now, and never watch anything anymore, but on special occasion, which I consider this to be, I'll watch. I just love when people in the industry, from these sites, get together and talk games.

Same, when there's a new Bonus Round I'll see who the guests are. But if I see CliffyB or something I'll skip it for a month. I do still like their reviews but I stopped following everything aside from EpicBattleCry.

@aegon said:

Yeah, they recorded this episode before the no kinect news broke....so this should be fun.

And yep.

#5 Edited by Illuminosopher (329 posts) -

Don't care much for the Bonus Round don't like the way it's set up, it often feels really fake and forced.

But I do like Game Trailers they do a fair amount of good stuff.

#6 Posted by TheHT (11376 posts) -

Holy hell, E3 is in like 3 weeks.

#7 Edited by NTM (7411 posts) -

@csl316:

Okay, so I haven't watched any of their stuff long enough to not know that Marcus Beer has left, which I had assumed may have been the case since whenever I do go there, I never see his face on it anymore, and Bonus Round, the show I did mainly watch for a time, has ended. I know a lot of people kind of talked negatively about him, and he could get a bit riled up, but I liked Shane Satterfield and was disappointed when he left; that's when I started having reservations about viewing their stuff anymore, but kept watching for a little while. I like Geoff, but one person isn't really enough to keep me coming back to the site, just like when Sessler left Rev3Games. I liked Tara, but not enough to stay watching that.

#8 Posted by JeanLuc (3586 posts) -

Seemed it was recorded pre-price drop announcement. Bummer, would have made the conversation more interesting.

#9 Posted by Bunnellius (85 posts) -

Aha! Something to ease the pain of my Jeff-withdrawal. Jeff no baka... come back soon. *rolls into a ball for silent-weeping*

#10 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Yet they mentioned Halo 5 details which happened after the price drop... I guess they got to check it out as part of the pre-E3 joint.

#11 Edited by Bunnellius (85 posts) -

All Jeff-withdrawal aside, the conversation itself wasn't very interesting. I'm getting tired of hearing this same stuff rehashed over and over lately.

#12 Posted by tsutohiro (364 posts) -

@csl316: Thanks for the heads up.

#13 Posted by Zevvion (1906 posts) -

You know, I'm actually a little confused about the whole Xbox situation. Specifically the attitude towards it from gamers.

Alright. Microsoft established the Xbox as something nobody wanted it to be. True. They have reversed all of that since. True.

But: Microsoft, from the get go, had more exclusive titles than Sony did, didn't they? They showed more exclusive titles than Sony did anyway. Yet, they get the remark that they really need to step up their game and show some exclusives to beat Sony.

If you remember some of my posts, you'll know I'm also not very charmed by the Xbox right now, but I own a PS4 and I literally have nothing to play that I can't play anywhere else since I got the machine at launch. If you ask me, Sony is the one who needs to step up their game, because at this rate I'll own more Xbox games than PS games when I'm finally able to afford an XO.

#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (15966 posts) -
#15 Posted by RazielCuts (2961 posts) -

All Jeff-withdrawal aside, the conversation itself wasn't very interesting. I'm getting tired of hearing this same stuff rehashed over and over lately.

Yeah, it's kind've just the same thing being said everywhere, it gets kind've monotonous. 'What can MS do to catch up to Sony?' 'They need games' yadda yadda yadda. To say a system needs games is so base. It's like who doesn't need games? MS, Sony and Nintendo all need games, thats what keeps the wheels turning. I want the nitty gritty discussed. I don't blame the folks here though, the format of the Bonus Round can sometimes be a bit too quick and dirty for deep discussion. It's always great though when Jason Rubin comes on and just spits game, always heats up the discussion.

#16 Posted by Hunter5024 (5707 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

@bunnellius said:

Jeff no baka...

What?

I think she's calling Jeff a fool. But affectionately I assume. Like a tsundere. I'm bad at japanese though.

#17 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

why does Bonus rounds feel like they are in pods not knowing either one is talking to one another?

#18 Posted by RazielCuts (2961 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

@bunnellius said:

Jeff no baka...

What?

I think she's calling Jeff a fool. But affectionately I assume. Like a tsundere. I'm bad at japanese though.

This...word, it keeps on getting used to describe Jeff on GAF and here. It's like the internet found a new word and is using it over and over again to play with it, it's quite odd.

#19 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1741 posts) -

@ntm said:

@csl316:

Okay, so I haven't watched any of their stuff long enough to not know that Marcus Beer has left, which I had assumed may have been the case since whenever I do go there, I never see his face on it anymore, and Bonus Round, the show I did mainly watch for a time, has ended. I know a lot of people kind of talked negatively about him, and he could get a bit riled up, but I liked Shane Satterfield and was disappointed when he left; that's when I started having reservations about viewing their stuff anymore, but kept watching for a little while. I like Geoff, but one person isn't really enough to keep me coming back to the site, just like when Sessler left Rev3Games. I liked Tara, but not enough to stay watching that.

As someone that has been watching Gametrailers content for a while, I feel very strongly that the quality bar for the entire site raised dramatically after Shane Satterfield left. They began focusing on original shows more, they started getting their people in front of the camera more, and the overall tone of the site is much more enjoyable.

Things like Trailer Academy, Backtrack, and Timeline are great original shows unlike the kinds of "watch dudes play games" stuff most other sites offer, and Kyle Bosman is great in everything he is in, especially his own show. Pop Fiction remains ones the best video game related shows on the internet, and while I think Mandatory Update is hit or miss, it's much more interesting than the typical "3 minute video of a hot girl telling you news" that every other site does.

Bonus Round is actually among the weaker of GT's original content, with it's stale format, weird tone, and general feeling of fakeness, but overall I think Gametrailers is among the best on the internet in terms of video content about games.

#20 Edited by Chaser324 (6587 posts) -

Yeah, as others have noted, it's unfortunate that this was recorded prior to the announcement of the Kinect news. This already would've been mostly moot, but now it's especially so.

#21 Posted by NTM (7411 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: I don't really like that stuff, so... I disagree, but okay. If you like that, that's good for you.

#22 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Nice!

#23 Posted by Bunnellius (85 posts) -
@crithon said:

why does Bonus rounds feel like they are in pods not knowing either one is talking to one another?

Ha, that's kind of an apt description.

#24 Posted by Bunnellius (85 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

@hunter5024 said:

@liquidprince said:

@bunnellius said:

Jeff no baka...

What?

This...word, it keeps on getting used to describe Jeff on GAF and here. It's like the internet found a new word and is using it over and over again to play with it, it's quite odd.

Anime is full of archetypes, which are fun to play around with. The way it's disseminated on the internet beyond the people who were raised on the stuff is a bit odd though.

Personally I don't pull them out too often (even though I'm pretty culturally brainwashed at this point), but in a case like this I get a perverse enjoyment from pulling Jeff into a dumb anime trope that he seems so ill-suited for as a kind of revenge-act.

#25 Posted by Abendlaender (2812 posts) -

Did they cut the budget fot Bonus Round in half or why are they shooting this in Geoff's hotel room?

#26 Posted by Humanity (9378 posts) -
@crithon said:

It's just edited to be very coherent and is directed to have Geoff pose a question to either participant individually. The show might seem a bit awkward because there is no cross-talk among the guests but I think it's done in favor of keeping the running time short.

#27 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2812 posts) -

Fancy Boots & Sneakers seem like a good set of guest going into e3.

I really think the way GT produce Bonus Round is at is weakest when major things happen after the recording of a MONTH of shows. I really don't understand why Geoff keeps this format or why the show does not solely focus on retrospective analysis. Instead of saying, "What do we see next", the questions should always be "What have we seen so far". Mr. Keighley is talented and smart, but this delayed broadcast format trying to look forward undercuts himself and his guests every single time.

I like Geoff Keighley about as much as I can like someone doing their industry focused job - with all that implies with product placement and having to advertise, etc. I really don't understand the hatred.

#28 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

@humanity said:
@crithon said:

It's just edited to be very coherent and is directed to have Geoff pose a question to either participant individually. The show might seem a bit awkward because there is no cross-talk among the guests but I think it's done in favor of keeping the running time short.

makes sense.... I mean I don't want this to turn into like horrible Starship Troopers talking head sequence "Bugs with brains?" Still I do feel like previous shows, maybe Michael Pacther or David Jaffie will talk back to other guests. Here it feel colder, almost like they aren't even in the same room, I don't think Tina even turns to Jeff.

#29 Posted by TheHBK (5488 posts) -

Jeff is so fucking cool. I wish he was a chick so we could get married.

#30 Edited by Humanity (9378 posts) -
#31 Posted by csl316 (8765 posts) -

@ntm said:

@csl316:

As someone that has been watching Gametrailers content for a while, I feel very strongly that the quality bar for the entire site raised dramatically after Shane Satterfield left. They began focusing on original shows more, they started getting their people in front of the camera more, and the overall tone of the site is much more enjoyable.

Things like Trailer Academy, Backtrack, and Timeline are great original shows unlike the kinds of "watch dudes play games" stuff most other sites offer, and Kyle Bosman is great in everything he is in, especially his own show. Pop Fiction remains ones the best video game related shows on the internet, and while I think Mandatory Update is hit or miss, it's much more interesting than the typical "3 minute video of a hot girl telling you news" that every other site does.

Bonus Round is actually among the weaker of GT's original content, with it's stale format, weird tone, and general feeling of fakeness, but overall I think Gametrailers is among the best on the internet in terms of video content about games.

I agree with most of your points. Honestly, I was glad to see Shane go. He'd get weirdly offended when people would joke around, and soon after he left the videos started showing who wrote the script and who edited it. I got the impression that he was holding that back, which seems strange but whatever. The tone of the site is a lot lighter and more friendly now. Before it seemed like this faceless entity.

Kyle's great and I like some of the shows I've dipped into. If I had more time these days I'd routinely watch more since I believe the site's improved a lot in recent times. I still check on Bonus Round since that was the first show that got me thinking about the business end of things, but it has gotten stale which is why I don't catch it every week. There's something that intrigues me about different sites coming together to discuss the industry (which is why the GB E3 shows are so cool). I wish IGN had continued Gamesages past its 4 episode run, since a tightly edited show like BR cuts things off before it gets interesting.

#32 Posted by NTM (7411 posts) -

@csl316: I actually liked when Shane would start to argue, it got interesting, and there were a few things I'd agree with him on while others didn't, but yeah, he did seem to get offended easily, sometimes I got it, sometimes I didn't. Kyle Bosman and a few others came off as somewhat naively, even if they really weren't, and I couldn't get into that.

#33 Posted by csl316 (8765 posts) -

@ntm said:

@csl316: I actually liked when Shane would start to argue, it got interesting, and there were a few things I'd agree with him on while others didn't, but yeah, he did seem to get offended easily, sometimes I got it, sometimes I didn't. Kyle Bosman and a few others came off as somewhat naively, even if they really weren't, and I couldn't get into that.

Arguments can certainly be interesting, which is why the Game of the Year podcasts are good to listen to.

But I disagree with Jeff all the time and still find his arguments compelling. Maybe I'm just a hater *shrugs*

#34 Posted by me3639 (1765 posts) -

Listening to them i cant help but think of how little they represent the majority of real players. So many great games, and platforms to enjoy but yet they cant find anything to play. The constant whining is, has become nauseating. Heres an idea, just pick a game up and play it, that would be new.

#35 Posted by Mysterysheep (363 posts) -

@me3639: You can't deny though that there isn't a whole lot to justify purchasing these new consoles for the prices they're at. Sure, it's been said a whole lot that Microsoft and Sony need more games and that gets boring, but it doesn't make it any less true. Nothing wrong with asking for a wee bit of variety to entice more people to take the plunge on a new console.

#36 Edited by NTM (7411 posts) -

@csl316 said:

@ntm said:

Arguments can certainly be interesting, which is why the Game of the Year podcasts are good to listen to.

But I disagree with Jeff all the time and still find his arguments compelling. Maybe I'm just a hater *shrugs*

I think why I liked Shane is because, one, and perhaps less of a reason so, I remember all the way back when he worked on GameSpot, which is cool, and two, perhaps I'm in the minority, but most of the ones I watched, and whenever he argued, I usually agreed with him, while I saw the others as kind of off. I didn't always agree with him, but often enough. As for Jeff, to me, Jeff as some others, have the luxury of being 'wrong' and still being respected, because of how long he has been in the industry and how experienced he is, which can go for some others, at least to me, like Adam Sessler, even Geoff. That's how I personally feel about it anyways.

#37 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

Bonus Round is still great.

#38 Posted by LiquidPrince (15966 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

@hunter5024 said:

@liquidprince said:

@bunnellius said:

Jeff no baka...

What?

Anime is full of archetypes, which are fun to play around with. The way it's disseminated on the internet beyond the people who were raised on the stuff is a bit odd though.

Personally I don't pull them out too often (even though I'm pretty culturally brainwashed at this point), but in a case like this I get a perverse enjoyment from pulling Jeff into a dumb anime trope that he seems so ill-suited for as a kind of revenge-act.

I know what he was trying to get at. The sentence doesn't make sense. It translates directly into 'Jeff of idiot.' I think he meant to write something more along the lines of Jeff wa bakadesu. Not a big deal, just me being a nerd.

#39 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1588 posts) -

Jeff Gerstmann will always be a threat.

#40 Posted by Bocam (3762 posts) -
#41 Posted by LiquidPrince (15966 posts) -

@bocam said:

@liquidprince: He could've just said baka Jeff

Stupid Jeff? Sure, but I thought he was trying to form a more complete sentence by using 'no' which is not correct.

#42 Posted by Bunnellius (85 posts) -

@bunnellius said:

@razielcuts said:

@hunter5024 said:

@liquidprince said:

@bunnellius said:

Jeff no baka...

What?

I know what he was trying to get at. The sentence doesn't make sense. It translates directly into 'Jeff of idiot.' I think he meant to write something more along the lines of Jeff wa bakadesu. Not a big deal, just me being a nerd.

Well, actually it would be more like "idiot of Jeff" ("no" works in the reverse order of "of"). I know it may seem grammatically weird, but "[name] no baka" is not an uncommon usage in Japanese. It delves into it a bit on this page, but it's not in English unfortunately: http://home.alc.co.jp/db/owa/jpn_npa?sn=43

#43 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2812 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Jeff is so fucking cool. I wish he was a chick so we could get married.

Just invite Jeff to one of 17 states where you can marry him even if he isn't a girl....if you get his consent. My guess is Jeff would be shy, so ask on one knee...and trying bringing some energy drinks, meat sandwiches or burritos...if you know how to use a Degaussing Coil on an broken arcade monitor that would help too.

#44 Edited by DylanGW (130 posts) -

whoa, Jeff looks HUGE next to Tina! Reminds me of that picture of Shaq and his girlfriend.

#45 Posted by Aegon (5659 posts) -

Sony ep is out.

#46 Posted by csl316 (8765 posts) -

@dylangw said:

whoa, Jeff looks HUGE next to Tina! Reminds me of that picture of Shaq and his girlfriend.

Best Week Ever, indeed!

#47 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1588 posts) -

Jeff is very intelligent and articulate, Tina (?) was pretty great too.

#48 Posted by Anwar (877 posts) -

Did I miss it or did GT cut Jeff's comment about MS probably not dropping kinect? He mentioned that on the podcast.

#49 Posted by SomberOwl (675 posts) -

@ntm said:

Same here, I only go to GT now when someone interesting is on one of there shows. I just can't stand some of the people at GT.

#50 Posted by csl316 (8765 posts) -

And Nintendo's up. Pretty sure there should be one more to go after this.