Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#151  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yes, very fair to compare an addiction to a societal trend.

In that they're both problems where failing to acknowledge them only makes things worse, yes.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Who gives a rat's ass about any of this?

Ridiculous.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By EXTomar

Why is it a bad thing to think about complex socio-economic issues? "Playing ostrich" with issues like this is like suggesting we ignore drug and alcohol addiction because they don't exist or they'll work themselves out.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By pyrodactyl

@sammo21 said:

@pyrodactyl:

Oh no I've read it. I think you need to as well. You see the IPCC has actually downgraded their worries from the last time they released their report.

1. Rate of warming is smaller.

2. Median Sea level rises are drastically smaller than predicted

3. Himalayan glaciers disappearing were removed from the report where it existed last time as we as storms and weather phenomenon getting more powerful such as cyclones.

4. They also removed the warning that temperatures would rise up to 6 degrees in this century alone.

5. They've admitted their models are having trouble relating to what is actually happening such as sea ice growing, virtually no warming since the last nineties. They've even cast doubt on being able to use their models to predict weather and climate on a small scale such as predicting severe draught or rainfall in a native area.

Or, you know...you can just keep sounding like a crazy person talking about conspiracies and lizard people...and also linking to an IPCC report that refutes what you are talking about. Merry Christmas!

Yeah, sure, you've read a highly technical more than 1000 page report and got the facts straight. In no way did you

a) Skimed through the text only looking for things that reenforce your opinion

b) Got the ''analysis'' of the report from a biased media source or internet community that skimed through the text only looking for things that reenforce their opinion

It's easy to cherry pick facts but looking at the debat as a whole:

1) There is no debat anymore, global warming is real and caused by greenhouse gaz in the atmosphere originating from human activity

2) Global warming will have dramatic consequences as the sea level rise in highly populated areas and hurricanes intensifie.

3) Even if we stopped CO2 production now It would get worse in the next several decades because of CO2 slow rise to higher atmosphere. So the more we wait, the worse it's going to get before the situation stabelizes.

4) High consentration of methane (a much more powerful greenhouse gaz than CO2) in the permafrost will accelerate the process if the temperature goes high enough to free it from the ground.

In conclusion, you've reminded me of how pointless it is to try to change the opinion of people on the internet so thanks and Merry Chrismas to you too.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

How the fuck did this turn into a global warming debate?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

fuck, I don't know. It's over now so back on track: SEXISM!!!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@truthtellah: Hmm... I guess you're. Damnit, I hate it when it shows how stupid I am.

Don't worry about it, Alexander! Happens to the best of us sometimes. :)

w1n5t0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w1n5t0n said:

@marokai said:

@ilikepopcans said:

I wish the people here would not be so outrage about how we are or are not sexist and be more outrage about the fact that someone made a game about depression and she got fucking harassed to no end because she wanted more people to see it by wanting to put it on steam.

I am, in fact, disgusted by this, as a person who struggles with depression.

But here's the rub: What am I to do about it? Tell me something I can pro-actively do to stop this from happening in the future. Am I supposed to go buy her game because people decided to be disgusting jerks? Follow her on twitter? Write three paragraphs about how "we're a community and we can really do better"? After reading this entire thread, this is what I keep coming back to. Everyone who complains that sexism and assholes exist all over the place are totally right. But the most effective way I can think to stop that is simply by trying to be as logical and polite to people as I possibly can be.

I can't go hand out pamphlets or donate to some sort of cause. Everyone who keeps screaming "we have to do better!" need to tell me something I can actually do that isn't just self-satisfying.

I remember she got harassed by people on 4chan. I mean she was going off on 4chan the hidden ghetto of the internet. It seems like someone tried to drum up morale outrage on twitter to get people to support her game, It seems kinda scummy to try to parlay manufactured controversy to get your game green lit.

For starters, it was not just some internet board saying bad things. If I recalled correct, she was getting of phone calls from people on the internets. Would you like getting phone calls of people harassing you all day and then have people call that "manufactured controversy"? Fuck off.

And sure, there is no easy solution to combating this ongoing shittingness that happens on the internets. But nothing hard in life is easy to solve right?

All I saw was her crusade against 4chan on twitter which seemed to go a little overboard considering the source. Also "Fuck off" is kind of rude, should I consider that harassment.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

Women are hot

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@crembaw said:

Ignoring problems doesn't make them go away.

And what will make hateful trolls on the internet go away?

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ramone said:

Women are hot

Word!

Zornack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#163  Edited By Zornack

@crembaw: Making videos and blogposts and articles about how bad hateful trolls are doesn't make them go away either.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't it just as sexist to feel like as a man you have to swoop in and protect women as if they can't handle themselves on the internet? It is a few anti-social retards that i'm in no way responsible for or involved with just because they may or may not frequent the same message board or use the damn internet.

Believe it or not, i've been harassed and shit online as well, i didn't need anybody to come save me and i'm sure Zoe and any other adult does not either. If it starts to leak into dangerous territory that's when you get the police involved, but otherwise it really is just a few assholes on the internet.

Sticks and stones, it's not just women who get harrassed on the internet, it's just what the media is focusing on lately.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:

Isn't it just as sexist to feel like as a man you have to swoop in and protect women as if they can't handle themselves on the internet? It is a few anti-social retards that i'm in no way responsible for or involved with just because they may or may not frequent the same message board or use the damn internet.

Believe it or not, i've been harassed and shit online as well, i didn't need anybody to come save me and i'm sure Zoe and any other adult does not either. If it starts to leak into dangerous territory that's when you get the police involved, but otherwise it really is just a few assholes on the internet.

Sticks and stones, it's not just women who get harrassed on the internet, it's just what the media is focusing on lately.

Yes. Much like life, the Internet has its fair share of assholes who will say anything to draw attention to themselves. Making huge issues out of the dumb shit they spew just gives those assholes the attention they so desperately crave.

Not that they should ignore the problem, nor deny its existence, but big groups of guys banding together and nodding their heads in agreement at the fact that some people involved with video games are sexist dorks who crave attention will not solve anything.

The sexism problem in the industry will go away when there are more women in the industry standing up for themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b71541ba2cd
deactivated-64b71541ba2cd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

'Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.' -John Stuart Mill, 1867 Address, University of St. Andrews

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wolfgame said:

I usually find Jim to be pretty spot on, but this is just ridiculous. We could spend the rest of our lives fighting the hatred spewed on certain message boards. But, somehow by choosing to take an alternate path of not getting involved we are lumped in with the same crew that sent death threats to the DA2 female writer.

Maybe you should go watch that video a second time because ironically you are displaying just the type of behaviour Jim is so cross with in this video.

He's not accusing the entire latent gaming population of being to blame for the actions of a few, he's taking issue with people specifically trying to downplay or derail important conversations about how bad gamers sometimes treat people.

Kinda like this thread actually. Instead of talking about how bad this shit is or saying "What happened to Quinn was fucking awful and we as gamers need to be better about how we treat people, don't be assholes" you not only are trying to distance yourself from this mess, you are effectively shifting the focus from Quinn to Sterling and trying to take issue with his argument because he made you feel a little guilty.

Jim's point is that gamers are a group who would rather distance themselves from an evident problem rather than confront it directly and own some share of responsibility. By removing or distancing ourselves from the situation all the time instead of actively taking a stand against disgusting behaviour like this we are doing a disservice to other members of our community. They need our support, they need to see people aren't just content to say "sorry, wasn't me though" and instead take a united stand against this, own up the darker parts of our culture and face it head on instead of pretending like it's not our problem too.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

'Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.' -John Stuart Mill, 1867 Address, University of St. Andrews

What a sexist piece of shit.

Seriously though, I'll put the question to you as well. What will make hateful trolls on the internet go away?