JRPG/RPG Leniency

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By markini6

After getting Persona 3 this morning (yes I know I'm a little late to the party :) and playing it for a few hours, I'm curious as to how long you play an RPG for before deciding whether or not it's for you. For example, after playing around 6 hours of Final Fantasy XIII I just couldn't spend any more time playing a massive tutorial and gave up. So my question is, how long will you play an RPG/JRPG for before giving up if you're not enjoying it?

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By lucas_kelly

I usually give up if I don't enjoy it after the first hour or two.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Depends of the game and my expectations with it.  

I never really liked Mass Effect 1, but reached the end of the game looking for some big twist. 

I played one hour of Neverwinter Nights, didn't like it, and quit. 

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

FFX I remember playing 10 hours before deciding the game wasn't going anywhere but I was giving it the benefit of the doubt. I think 5 hours is the sweet spot for me.

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Spence_5060

After I know that I have played the core of the gameplay. If I don't like that then I don't play it anymore.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By damodar

The answer is probably too long. 

Stopped about 30 hours in to Final Fantasy X because I hated it. 

It really does depend on the game though. Something like Persona does take a fair while to open up. It probably took me a while to really get in to the swing of Persona 3, but I totally adore that game. 

You kinda do have to give RPG's a little more time than other genres, I guess. 

And out of curiosity, do we interpret this thread to mean you're not really feeling Persona 3? :P

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By markini6
@Damodar: No I'm actually enjoying it a fair amount at the moment :) But yeah, like you said, I've got it to give a game like that more time than something like an FPS or a platformer. Probably because those two example genres immediately succeed or fail based on how their gameplay is, as opposed to an RPG which is more a sum of its parts I guess.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Venatio

It all depends on the game, I never really give up on games, I just take long breaks from them, like Lost Odyssey and Eternal Sonata, I'll finish them someday but I fucking hate random encounters in all games so I especially hate them in LO, I stopped at the beginning on disc 4

Speaking of FFXIII, I'm 45 hours in at the  moment and I don't get all the hate, sure there was a time in that game that I kinda wanted to stop but I kept playing and I love the gameplay, story, visual style and characters, even Vanille

And I finished Persona 4 at 88 hours and I'm 50 hours into P3:FES, I don't like giving up on games I paid for and see the potential in

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By penguindust

I need to get out of the tutorial and play a couple of missions before I decide to call it quits or not. By then I should have an idea of how combat, communication between characters, travel and all that other basic stuff works.  If those things are broken, then there isn't much chance of me pushing hard onwards.  If that takes 2 hours or 10 hours, it doesn't matter as long as I feel I gave the game a solid chance to win my free time by providing a entertaining experience.

I put 190 hours into Persona 3 FES and it's among my top 5 games of all time.  Right now I am playing Atelier Annie: Alchemists of Sera Island on the DS.  It caught my attention pretty fast, but it wasn't until I had put 6 hours into it, turned it off and found myself thinking about the game did I realize this would be one I plan on finishing.  Some games grab you like that and stay with you even when you're doing other things.  Those are the keepers.

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Steve_C

In most cases I research beforehand to know whether i'm interested in experiencing it. Then i'll be sure to play it through to completion.

My 'worst' experience was probably with Dragon Age, where the only thing I enjoyed were a few of the the characters and the banter. Still, I stuck with it, though it felt like a grind at times. In general I finish all of my games. I need closure; not in terms of the game story, but just knowing I have a game left unfinished makes me uncomfortable.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By markini6
@Steve_C:  @Venatio: I agree with you, I hate leaving games unfinished, but sometimes I'll reach a point where I think "If I'm not enjoying it, why am I playing it?". Sometimes a game's story is enough to keep me playing, but sadly that wasn't the case for me in Final Fantasy XIII.
Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Addfwyn

I can tell usually pretty quickly how interested I am. 

For an RPG, I need either the gameplay to capture me or the story/world/characters to capture me.  If I'm honestly interested in the story but find the gameplay dull, I'll push through it (Xenogears disc 2) and sometimes am well rewarded for it (Xenogears remains my favourite RPG of all time).   

SOMETHING about the game has to capture me though.  I found the gameplay in Dragon Age dull, and the story extremely dull, so i gave it maybe 8 hours before I called it quits.  FFXIII on the other hand, started out slow but i was so enamored with the world and characters that I keep pushing through, and eventually the gameplay caught up for me as well.  

Games with a certain pedigree I give more time.  I know Persona games start slow for instance, so I am more willing to give them a fair shot.   Going into Persona 4 after playing 3, I knew how long the game really takes to get to the heart of things.

@Steve_C: I agree with you, the characters and banter were the highlights of that game, but I found the rest pretty dull.  

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Steve_C

I'll kind of agree in FFXIII. I remember now, that the opening to that game is probably the worst i've ever experienced. Had a really negative reaciton to it.

My carrot on a stick was the fact that it was an FF game. FFX is my favourite game of all time, and i've enjoyed a lot of the other games. At this point I feel I have to play it just because. 

With FFXIII I got my copy signed, so I had to make good on that effort. The reviews were also saying that it got good about 25 hours in, so I had to see what that was all about. In my experience, I only started to get on board with the characters about 15 hours in. It depends how much free time you have, but i'd suggest playing for longer.

Even then, my overall gut feeling was disappointment, though honestly I'll always feel that if it's not up to par with my FFX experience. The characters are pretty shallow, and the story was hard to care about as there was no real direction it was heading in. Despite a lot of the visual flourishes on the surface, it just felt like a rushed game. I felt pretty disappointed after waiting for FFXII too, but I started to appreciate more after playing this game. There're a few interesting ideas though.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Vorbis

I play until I lose the will to start the game up.

But Persona 3 will take a while before it starts to get interesting, give it some more time.

GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GrandpaJelly

Until it annoy me

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Meowayne

I usually try to give JRPGs about five hours time.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Demyx

I'm very careful when I buy games, so I don't ever have to give up.

Avatar image for infinitestatemachine
InfiniteStateMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

sugar  sugar..

sorry edited irrelevant post
DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

About two hours tops if it is a JRPG, an hour after the built in tutorial level in WRPG.  

Dragon Quest VIII, one of the best RPG's to grace consoles, starts out a bit slow. About two hours in the story and gameplay opens up and becomes hard to put the controller down.   

WRPG's are slow to start by default.  They all have a built in tutorial level in the beginning of the game.  If a bit after that I am bored, then I put it down.

Nothing bugs me more then hearing "Oh, it gets better about 20 hours in."  If they cannot make the first parts of the game engaging, then it is a waste of my time.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jasonofindy

The time used to be much longer, but my tastes in games have changed enough over time that I rarely give as much time as before. I played all the early Final Fantasies and Dragon Warriors to completion.  The first JRPG I stopped playing was Final Fantasy 8. It received about 15 hours before I decided it wasn't getting better, and that I'd rather be doing something else.  Final Fantasy X, I made it to the first stupid ass water soccer sequence, and then I was out.  

I skipped X-2 and XI completely before trying 12 and quit as soon as I realized they went with a stupid ass battle system that reminded me too much of the Bioware battle systems I hate.  (I regret this as people I trust say it had the best story in a long time, but I just couldn't get into the gameplay.)  I gave FF13 6 hours because everyone told me it started slow and would get better.  The combat seemed pretty interesting, but the rest of the game was not compelling. 

Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2 got a couple hours, but I'll probably eventually go back to it as I stopped due to other game releases and simply never got back to it and not due to a problem in the game.  I'm pretty sure the last JRPG I made it through was either Paper Mario: the Thousand Year Door (great) or Enchanted Arms (passable).  The last Square RPG I made it through was either Final Fantasy 9 or Chrono Cross (both good).   To be honest, my tastes have shifted to western RPGs and action RPGs such as Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fable, Sacred, Diablo, etc.  I enjoyed my time with Demon's Souls, but although its geographic origins are from Japan, its playstyle has little to do with JRPGs and is much more like western PC RPGs from the 90s. For me it really had a Stonekeep vibe. It would be nice if other JRPG companies would experiment with more western type gameplay.   

Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Vesperia each got about 45 minutes, while Lost Odyssey is on the shelf.  These were the signal that I think I'm done buying JRPGs (and why I rented FF13 instead of buying).  I yearn for the days of the sprite based Square and Enix games and have been told I should try out the Pokemon games.  (They came out in my 20's and I ignored them because I didn't play handheld games.)

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By markini6
@Jasonofindy: It shames me to say that the Pokémon games are probably my favourite RPG series :)
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By SoothsayerGB

The same amount of time as any other genre.  20 mins or so.  Been gaming my whole life.  If a game can't get my interest in a few minutes, its not going to.   5 hours is trying way to hard. 

I research games before I buy/rent them.  If its a RPG it didn't make it's way into my system with out being probed a bit.