Jumping to the next (or current) gen - Opinions needed.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Hey folks,

So I'm sure you've seen you're fair share of these threads but I trust the Giant Bomb community to provide helpful and useful advice. So basically I'm looking to buy one of the next gen (or current gen, however you look at it) consoles. I've been holding back for a while so I'm interested to hear some opinions from owners of either the Xbox One, PS4 or Wii U.

Now I haven't had a chance to mess with any of the three consoles myself, I've only really seen footage of games and UI from video which is never the perfect demonstration of UI performance and game quality. But now the consoles have been out for a while (even longer for the Wii U) I'm interested to hear some opinions and experiences from some community members. I want to know what folks think about UI, controller, Kinect experiences.

I was all set to get a PS4 but Microsoft have done a decent job to make the Xbox One a viable option again and Forza 5 is a real appeal to me. I'm unsure if to go for a Kinect-less Xbox One or not, I have never owned Kinect so have no experience with it. Game wise I'm most likely be getting FIFA 14 on either console I purchase and either Forza 5 for Xbox One or Infamous: Second Son for the PS4. Wii U I'd probably look at Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8.

I'm interested to know folks opinions on the current gen and if they'd give me some advice.

Much appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

as a full on PC user, if i had to choose it would be ps4 by a landslide. i was mainly an xbox 360 user in the last gen but at some point i began to really dislike everything microsoft was doing and what they were about in terms of xbox anyway.

from the get go of xbox one with all their shameless flip-flopping before launch to the recent brush-under-the-carpet kinect situation, it left a bad taste in my mouth which went with a presently existing funky smell. just dont see them as knowing anything about gaming, nor gamers themselves. for the last few years, it feels like straight up business. nothing more. nothing less. whether or not thats how it is, they have a terrible time convincing me otherwise.

to be fair, i think both of the consoles launched prematurely with a despicable gimped "a patch is coming" mentality and they are underpowered imho. i still dont agree with their existence as they are, but as i said, sony looks better this time around.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

If you get an Xbox One, spring for the Kinect. I don't see any real point to get the cheaper PS4-like X1 without the Kinect functionality. That is, unless you absolutely will not use any Kinect features, really can't afford to spend more than $400, and really like the Xbox exclusives. Personally, I really enjoy the Kinect. It works pretty damn well now, and having auto-sign in, using voice commands to record gameplay, control my home theater volume, to turn the console on and off, to snap tv/apps while playing a game, etc., etc. is awesome and highly useful.

It's worth noting that the 900p vs. 1080p graphics nonsense is highly overblown. I'm playing on a high-end 55" 1080p Samsung and the games look great. Forza 5 especially looks terrific, and ACIV, Watch_Dogs, etc. really have their moments. Basically, unless you're a complete graphics junkie and spend your time obsessing about if this blade of grass looks better on PS4 or X1, you won't notice any difference at all. I've looked at a ton of the comparison videos in full HD on my home PC, and the differences are marginal at best when they're even noticeable at all. That said, if it's extremely important to you to have the "best" console version of a game, know that the PS4 editions may be marginally better in some case because the PS4 is able to dedicate more system resources specifically to gaming.

UI-wise, I'm not crazy about the X1's Windows 8-like tile-heavy interface. They finally got the motion controls to be somewhat functional, but it's not a particularly useful or time-saving addition as much as it is a "neato" thing. I find myself using little more than the recent apps tiles, my apps & games section, and then just telling it to "go to ____" for everything else. Having the "go to___" option via the kinect offsets some of the interface shortcomings, so that's nice. Still, having to hunt for stuff in the UI is more difficult and clunky than it should be. It hasn't much affected my X1 experience, but it's a weakness.

You'll find some varied opinions on the X1 controller. I personally think it's great, with the exception of the oversized bumpers. Basically, if you liked the 360 controller, you'll probably like the X1 controller. It's among the best controllers I've used, and it hasn't been particularly tough to adjust to. I think the triggers and the sticks are as good as it gets. I don't find myself slipping off the sticks, which is a problem I've had with both Sony and Xbox controllers in the past. And those triggers have terrific feedback, both in terms of haptic/resistance. Great stuff there.

Game-wise, the X1 took a big step with the E3 announcements of a few exclusives and a bigger library for indie games. I'm personally thrilled about the Master Chief Collection, and Forza Horizon 2 has some real potential to be fantastic. And then you've got cross-platform games like GTA V making their way to next gen and some big ones like AC: Unity to release this fall to make this year-end even more promising for the new consoles. Games with Gold, HBO GO, and other developments on the X1 are really exciting as well.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Xbox One. When it was first released, the kinect wasn't completed ironed out, and they obviously overestimated the public's willingness to spring $100 for it. However, they've continued developing it to where it's well worth it (IMO). MS has made missteps, but they're being very responsive to the customer, and that's a good thing. What we have now is a quality console, and I don't regret buying it day one, either. If you'll use the Kinect at all and have any interest in making it a home entertainment hub, get a full-featured X1. If you just want a gaming machine, get a PS4. And unless you're really, really into Mario stuff, pass on the Wii U.

JMOs.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I have to admit that I'm in a fairly similar situation to yourself. I'm still in the last generation and at the minute have no idea which new console to plumb for or to even when to jump on in to this new pool of hardware. Both have very appealing exclusives and I can’t afford to buy both (or to build a PC capable of blowing both out of the water) so the decision is a tough one right now.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Corevi

If you are super into sports games then Xbox One is kinda it. Wii U is not getting any 3rd party games, so unless you really like first party Nintendo stuff it's not worth it. PS4 is the best console for non-sports multiplatform games, and I prefer the exclusives on PS4 but obviously tastes differ. PS4 also has Playstation Now going for it if you have a good internet connection.

I prefer the DS4 to the Xbox One controller but that's been the case since I first used a Dualshock in 98.

adoggz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xbone or dare i say it wiiu? The only thing that the ps4 seems to have going for it is that it plays multiplat games "better" than the xbox and frankly the pc does that even more than the ps4 so meh to it.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By Seppli

I have a PS4 and I'm super happy with it. Granted, a majority of my time with it has been spent playing BF4. Like 400 hours there-of. So if a dedicated Battlefield 4 machine is what you're looking for, it's certainly not a bad investment. Also - the future is blindingly bright.

Admittedly, Microsoft does field some compelling first party stuff in the future, but if you are really in an either/or scenario, you'll be better off with a PS4. I'll just get a Xbox One at my convenience, at some point in the future. Now that Xbox Live Gold nets me some free games each month, I really don't mind paying for two services anymore - which was the main reason I thought I'd simply stick to PS4.

I'd say get a PS4 first, since all 3rd party games will likely run better there, and get a Xbox One at your convenience thereafter, when the price is right. Also, for a Demon's and Dark Souls fan, Sony's PS4 is literally the only right choice to make right now, if I was beholden to only one platform over the lifespan of this generation. Bloodborne man. Don't miss it!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think it's a really great thing that suddenly this is a real, honest-to-goodness discussion. Even Nintendo's back in the scrum, which literally only begets great consequences for the industry.

So, while it's a difficult choice on our--the consumer--end of things. It means you really can't go wrong with any choice. And that's pretty reaffirming, especially after how uncertain things looked before this generation was truly underway.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day one adopter of the PS4. Honestly it's kinda boring with the limited amount of games out there right now. However come this fall, it should be banging. Only must play game I can say is inFamous: Second Son

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a really great thing that suddenly this is a real, honest-to-goodness discussion. Even Nintendo's back in the scrum, which literally only begets great consequences for the industry.

So, while it's a difficult choice on our--the consumer--end of things. It means you really can't go wrong with any choice. And that's pretty reaffirming, especially after how uncertain things looked before this generation was truly underway.

Agreed on this. Competition is a good thing. I'm glad we as consumers have the choices we do. The X1 was the right console for me. The PS4 or even WiiU is the right console for others. The future for the consoles looks bright on the whole. Many of us get wrapped up in our own console (myself included), but I sure as hell don't want to see any console fail. That's not good for anyone. It's nice to see the consoles finding their stride in different ways.

Blommer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blommer4

I would go for PS4, but it's insanely boring for the time being...

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Wii U is a pretty cool system once you get to know it. If you're a huge fan of Nintendo's library, it's not a bad choice.

I don't own an Xbox One or PS4 yet so I can't speak for either of those. Just choose whichever one you have the most interest in I guess.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MachoFantastico

First of all thanks for some super useful opinions and advice, it's much appreciated.

Interesting to read your thoughts on all three consoles. Like I said previously it'll probably be Forza 5 that's the biggest appeal for me on Xbox One and I'm sure to pick up FIFA 14 on either console. On PS4 I'll most likely pick up Infamous: Second Son and Killzone. I'm not a massive Mario/Nintendo fan but I'm super curious to see what they've done with the Wii U's better hardware compared to the Wii. On video Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD looks splendid. E3 showed off some strong games, for Xbox One the Halo stuff sort of interests me and Crackdown could be neat while PS4 showed off Uncharted 4 and I think the Last of Us Remastered looks splendid (I still hope we see the Uncharted games updated at 60fps). Playstation Now seems like it could be interesting but it's doesn't look like it's hitting European anytime soon.

Now I don't watch any TV hardly except for live sports and Kinect seems interesting but it's going to placed in a small room and I have real doubts it would work efficiently if at all. How does the UI perform on Xbox One? I've heard it's less responsive then on PS4. I have to wonder how the PS4's extra hardware power will benefit the system now and in the long run. To be fair at some point I hope to own both due to exclusives but that's a lot of cash and something I can't afford right now. Forza 5 looks great but it's difficult to judge from video which can be compressed, the biggest appeal to that game for me is how the drivatar stuff works because while I love how those games feel, I have always hated how dull the AI can be to race (Gran Turismo being by far the worse). How is the feedback on the triggers in that game, the idea sounds neat.

As for being bored with the current selection, I have continually played FIFA 13 since it's release so I'm confident that FIFA 14 will keep whatever console I pick up running on a daily basis. The Wii U is an interesting option, I'm fascinated to see Nintendo do their thing in HD and they do have some great franchises but like some folks have mentioned, their third party support sucks. Though due to it being a cheaper console I could maybe pick up a 3DS XL to. Do keep in mind I have a decent PC which I can play a lot of the third party games so exclusives will be a big deal and those games which you never real see properly on PC.

I'm a super indecisive person, so it's something I tend to think over until I go mad. But I appreciate the advice immensely.

Thanks.

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had a PS4 for about seven months now and I can count the number of times I've turned it on. There just isn't enough compelling software out there, yet.

My suggestion is to hold out another year or more before diving in. There isn't much out there now and won't be for awhile.

metalhammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a similar boat but I have a PC and WiiU - so looking at one of either the PS4 or Xbox One and then I'll be "done".

Was firmly in the PS4 camp before E3 but some of the first-party stuff announced at Microsoft's Press Conference really interested me more; and generally I preferred their first-party stuff on 360.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait. Work on your back catalog. There's nothing to play, and the deals will only get sweeter.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm a fan of Kinect so when I do finally take the plunge it will no doubt be into the XBox One but currently neither is doing nearly enough to pull me away from my PC and PS3/360 backlogs.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By notnert427

First of all thanks for some super useful opinions and advice, it's much appreciated.

Interesting to read your thoughts on all three consoles. Like I said previously it'll probably be Forza 5 that's the biggest appeal for me on Xbox One and I'm sure to pick up FIFA 14 on either console. On PS4 I'll most likely pick up Infamous: Second Son and Killzone. I'm not a massive Mario/Nintendo fan but I'm super curious to see what they've done with the Wii U's better hardware compared to the Wii. On video Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World and The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker HD looks splendid. E3 showed off some strong games, for Xbox One the Halo stuff sort of interests me and Crackdown could be neat while PS4 showed off Uncharted 4 and I think the Last of Us Remastered looks splendid (I still hope we see the Uncharted games updated at 60fps). Playstation Now seems like it could be interesting but it's doesn't look like it's hitting European anytime soon.

Now I don't watch any TV hardly except for live sports and Kinect seems interesting but it's going to placed in a small room and I have real doubts it would work efficiently if at all. How does the UI perform on Xbox One? I've heard it's less responsive then on PS4. I have to wonder how the PS4's extra hardware power will benefit the system now and in the long run. To be fair at some point I hope to own both due to exclusives but that's a lot of cash and something I can't afford right now. Forza 5 looks great but it's difficult to judge from video which can be compressed, the biggest appeal to that game for me is how the drivatar stuff works because while I love how those games feel, I have always hated how dull the AI can be to race (Gran Turismo being by far the worse). How is the feedback on the triggers in that game, the idea sounds neat.

As for being bored with the current selection, I have continually played FIFA 13 since it's release so I'm confident that FIFA 14 will keep whatever console I pick up running on a daily basis. The Wii U is an interesting option, I'm fascinated to see Nintendo do their thing in HD and they do have some great franchises but like some folks have mentioned, their third party support sucks. Though due to it being a cheaper console I could maybe pick up a 3DS XL to. Do keep in mind I have a decent PC which I can play a lot of the third party games so exclusives will be a big deal and those games which you never real see properly on PC.

I'm a super indecisive person, so it's something I tend to think over until I go mad. But I appreciate the advice immensely.

Thanks.

I don't use the Kinect for a great deal of TV stuff other than pause, play, mute, unmute and switching from/snapping TV. I don't find myself using their guide, largely because most of my TV watching is off the DVR and the Xbox can't access that without bringing in the TV remote, which sucks, but is understandable. Using the Xbox guide actually might be perfectly okay if most of your TV is live viewing, as every time I've used it, it has worked fine. I'm a sports guy, too, so I find it incredibly convenient to be able to play a video game while also paying some attention to a sporting event I'm not fully interested in watching every second of. I did exactly this last night for most of game three of the NBA Finals last night while playing Watch_Dogs.

The responsiveness of the UI on the X1 isn't an issue; it's the structure of it that's the problem. It's just not that functional and adds layers between you and what you want to get to that don't need to be there. As mentioned, I just say "Xbox, go to ____" because it's otherwise kind of a pain to get to some stuff if it's not among your recent tiles. Without the Kinect, I'd get annoyed at the UI much more than I do right now. I can't speak intelligently on the PS4's UI because I haven't played around with its menus much. I'd imagine it's not faster than "xbox, go to ___", but I'd also imagine that the structure of controller-based interaction with their menus is superior simply because this is an area that's lacking on the X1. My X1 is in my living room, but based on the level of fine-tuning there is within the setup, I'd bet the Kinect works pretty well even in a small room, and maybe even better for the voice commands because it can probably hear you better based on closer proximity to the mic.

Forza 5 is a beautiful-looking game. It's everything you'd expect from a next-gen game visually. Don't worry about that aspect of it; the game totally delivers there. And yes, the drivatar stuff works. It's satisfying to see opposing racers occasionally make human mistakes as opposed to the drone line of cars following each other on the perfect racing line. The trigger feedback is very cool. You get used to it, but the first time you feel it is pretty neat. It definitely adds some immersion to it. Still, Forza 5 has its faults. It's lacking a bit in the fun factor (mainly to due to a robotic "here it is" presentation that lacks any and all flair), the microtransactions will piss you off, and the classical score seems to make it feel more boring to some (though I personally enjoyed it). I'm really glad it was the first game I played, though. It's a quality game, and blazing through the Bernese Alps for the first time was the surreal next-gen introductory experience I'd hoped for. Still, Forza 5 may be a better showcase than it is a game, if that makes sense. Then again, we have Forza Horizon 2 on the, umm, horizon as well, so that will likely offer another option shortly as well.

Hope this helps.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If I had to choose one of the three systems I would probably say the Wii-U but I have a PC. If I didn't I'd probably say the PS4. Yes the graphic details aren't that great between the PS4 and the XB1 but there is no argument that the PS4 is a stronger system and it's shown. That's not going away. Also the PS4 is getting a great driving game this fall anyway, Drivecl-, no Project Cars. That game looks to be the driving game that we've all been dreaming about for years.

If you're big into watching TV then get the XB1 with the Kinect. If like one companies, Sony or Microsoft, franchises over another then go with that. I will say no matter which you choose between the XB1 or PS4 make the Wii-U your second purchase. I still don't think it's a great system to own if it's your only way of playing video games but it makes a great second system for the Nintendo games to come out.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Open World Forza this year sounds awesome. I have both next-gens, and XONE is still my favorite by far.

Loading Video...

GTA V, Destiny, DOOM,Project Cars, and Battlefield Hardline are both coming out on XONE. And they're getting a bunch of indies soon.

Loading Video...

I would the buy the system with Kinect because of Dance Central and Fantasia: Music Evolved, and I wouldn't mind losing some weight.

Loading Video...

4 Halos for $60, with the halo 5 beta and Halo movie sounds too damn good. And with all the +100 maps.

Loading Video...

Next-gen confirmed Crackdown with absurd destruction confirmed.

Loading Video...

And Sunset Overdrive and Scalebound are also good exclusives too.

Loading Video...

Lords of the Fallen is also coming to XONE, and its just like Dark Souls, so I'm excited for that.

And next-gen Gears is still confirmed to be coming out too.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I own a Wii U and PS4, and I've had enough hands-on with Xbox One to say hold off until 2015 if you haven't purchased a new console yet.

The Wii U is a great system for Nintendo games. I really like my Wii U, but to be honest, that's about it. There were more games shown during the press conferences I was interested in for the Wii U than for both the PS4 and Xbox One. However, the lack of strong third-party support makes me consider the Wii U a secondary system to get primarily for Nintendo's lineup.

I prefer the PS4 over the Xbox One, which is the reason why I got it and held off on the Xbox One until at least next year. Everyone's going to have an opinion, so mine are the following: I prefer the DualShock 4 controller over the Xbox One, I even like the Xbox 360 controller more than the latter; I like the PS4 UI more than the XBox One, and the voice controls don't make up for it; I prefer the multiplatform games on the PS4; I prefer Sony's first-party offering more than Microsoft's.

I don't care about timed-exclusive DLC for either system. Pretty much all indie exclusives, timed or not, for both systems also come out on PC, so you really won't be missing out on any of them regardless of which system you pick. The only advantage is that I can play some of them using a DS4, the rest I will use an Xbox 360 controller. I don't care about the TV stuff for the Xbox One since I use a DVR for all my TV viewing and a Roku3 for any streaming videos.

In the end, I'd say pick the one that has the most games you are interested in. That will be purely subjective. I'm not interested in Crackdown. I'm very interested in Bloodborne.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a PS4 and wish I had gotten an Xbox One. There's a bunch of interesting stuff about the Xbox One that actually makes it look and feel like a "next-gen" console. Unfortunately they seem to be steering away from all that. There's nothing exciting or "next-gen" about the PS4. It's pretty much just a more powerful PS3. It doesn't offer much more than a mid-range PC.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By nasp

none of them are worth the price right now.i will say that right now the ps4 is the better choice,and after e3 it seems ps4 will be the best choice for the future as well.so if you have to get one get a ps4 but i would wait till next year to get one.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I really really like the Wii U UI. It is very simple and easy to get to where you need to go. The eshop is also incredibly smooth. The Gamepad doesn't have great battery but the Pro Controller has an 80 hour battery life.

The PS4 UI is really clunky in my opinion and the PlayStation store runs like dog shit. The controllers battery life is also pretty bad.

I do not have a Xbox One.

It really comes down to games though so get whichever one has the most games that appeal to you. For me personally the Wii U has the greatest quantity of quality games.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

I'm a little late to this, but I figured I'd give my 2 cents anyway. I've owned a Wii U and a PS4 since launch, and I've messed around with a decent bit of Xbox One. As weird as it is to say, my favorite console by a long shot right now is the Wii U. It's been out longer, and while other current-gen stuff is still mired in a transition year, the Wii U is really starting to get going this year. I love playing Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart 8, The Wonderful 101 and SM3DW on that thing, and my most anticipated game of this year is Bayonetta 2. The next year and a half is looking great for the Wii U as well, with Smash, Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Yoshi, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Hyrule Warriors (if that's your thing), and Captain Toad all scheduled to drop before the end of 2015. That's truly a lot of fantastic-looking stuff.

However, a large factor in why I'm so happy with the Wii U is my PS4. If you're interested in any third party stuff - let's be honest, any of it, now or future - it probably won't come to the Wii U. Jaded shell of a man that I am, I haven't really been interested in any of the big-name stuff that's hit PS4 yet, aside from InFamous (which I found to be a disappointment anyway). But over the next year, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Evolve, Far Cry 4 and a ton of other neat-looking third-party games will hit everything but Wii U. The PS4's UI is honestly a bit of a mess, but from what I've seen of the XB1 Microsoft's UI is even more garbled. The PlayStation store is sleek, the controller feels awesome, and PS Plus is an incredible value.

In my limited time with the XB1 I didn't find the Kinect to be of much interest at all. MS has talked about selling the Kinect separately, so if you do go for an XB1 you could always grab the cheaper version now, and then if you feel like you're missing out on something you could pick up a Kinect once they hit stores. The Xbox is less powerful than the PS4, but let's be honest, it's not going to make much of a difference in the end. I think the controller feels a little weird though; they raised the triggers so that they stick awkwardly out of the top of the controller, and the bumpers feel like they've been pushed forward a little bit. Rumble in the triggers was kind of cool when I played Forza, but it's not enough to make up for the worse feel. It's probably something you can get used to, though. I should also note that I played some Killer Instinct and Dead Rising 3, and even though I don't own them, in my limited experience they were far more fun than any current PS4 exclusive.

If you rule out the Wii U, the only real distinguishing factors between the PS4 and the XB1 are the exclusives. I personally find Microsoft's exclusives to be more compelling at the moment what with Sunset Overdrive and Crackdown in the works (The Order looks boring and too movie-like for me, and Uncharted is getting a bit old.) It's probably best to take a look at which franchises both companies have left in their stable, and see which ones gel with you best. Again, the Wii U currently has the best exclusives by miles.

Battery life on all of the controllers is pretty awful. I find myself recharging the DualShock every other day, and my Wii U GamePad literally can't go 40 minutes unplugged without dying anymore.

That got way longer than I thought it would, but I hope it helps.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have all of the console but the XONE (I purchased a 360 and played a total of 3 games after buying ~30 games on it, apparently I don't care about their first party stuff as much as I thought). For a purchase right now, I kind of think the PS4 is nice to get sooner so you can begin accruing PS+ games. So far I have gotten a new just released indie game every month since buying the thing, and PS+ is 2.50 a month if you purchase the 1year cards on black friday. But if a like Nintendo games the Wii U has good versions of most of the Nintendo line-up. If your not feeling their work, I would just avoid it.

Though in general I think PC is a better selection at the moment. Maybe invest a bit more (the cost of two consoles instead of one), but then you have one box that is at least 2x the performance instead of 2 lesser devices. And the cheaper games with more exclusives in the long term. PS4 dashboard and operating experience is pretty nice though.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By egg

don't get Xbox One since it is not compatible with Xbox 360 controllers. Jerk move by MS to make you buy another $50 controller.

Unilad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, none of them.

I'd get a PC. If you feel you a platform to play games, but not everything, then a pc. You also then have the added bonus of a computer.

Steam sales, mods, graphics, free online, controller support, increased options.

I was always a die hard console nut. However, a pc has really been a massive benefit to me. In addition to the above aspects, I also play much more efficiently. I finish games more, and only play them when a really want to. I never have that 'I need to play, but dont want to play' kind of feeling. I play less games, but the time I spend with them is much better.

Seriously, at least look into it. :)

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have all of the console but the XONE (I purchased a 360 and played a total of 3 games after buying ~30 games on it, apparently I don't care about their first party stuff as much as I thought). For a purchase right now, I kind of think the PS4 is nice to get sooner so you can begin accruing PS+ games. So far I have gotten a new just released indie game every month since buying the thing, and PS+ is 2.50 a month if you purchase the 1year cards on black friday. But if a like Nintendo games the Wii U has good versions of most of the Nintendo line-up. If your not feeling their work, I would just avoid it.

Though in general I think PC is a better selection at the moment. Maybe invest a bit more (the cost of two consoles instead of one), but then you have one box that is at least 2x the performance instead of 2 lesser devices. And the cheaper games with more exclusives in the long term. PS4 dashboard and operating experience is pretty nice though.

If you already have a PSN account with PS+, you can hold off on getting a PS4. You can use their mobile apps to "purchase" the PS+ games and have them ready for you if you eventually get a PS4.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MachoFantastico

Man, didn't think I'd get this many awesome replies. Some super helpful advice from owners of all three consoles.

It's an interesting situation, I have a pretty decent PC running a Asus HD 7970 Platinum GPU which can run most games on their highest settings so that it a factor. It means exclusives are a bigger deal to me. Both the Xbox One and PS4 appeal to me for varied reasons. There is a part of me that would love to check out a Wii U, the likes of Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World and Legend of Zelda HD (plus I could technically get that game for free with the current Mario Kart 8 bundle) and they are experiences I wouldn't get anywhere else. Plus I know if I were to get a Wii U I could technically also afford to buy a Nintendo 3DS XL and there are some games coming to that console (among money that are already there) that is a factor. Call me shallow, but the reasons I had so many issues with the Wii was the lack of HD visuals which were such a selling point to the Xbox 360 and PS3, the idea of seeing Nintendo do HD visuals excite me as they are some of the best artists in the industry. All that said however, a Wii U is for just Nintendo games really as it often as been so I need to keep that in mind.

Maybe I'm not sure what I'm looking for exactly, TV is something I barely watch anyways so that part of the Xbox One is of no interest so I'm not sure what I'd be looking for.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have a quick question related to the Wii U. I know the Wii U can play Wii games and I'd be interested to know how well it does that and how. I don't know but if I were to get a Wii U I'd be interested to get the Super Mario Galaxy games because I never really played them before. I have seen you can use the gamepad for that to.

Curious to know if anyone as done it.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@machofantastico: You can use the gamepad as a display for Wii games but you have to use the wiimote.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MachoFantastico

@corruptedevil said:

@machofantastico: You can use the gamepad as a display for Wii games but you have to use the wiimote.

Sounds neat, wonder how they look on gamepad but it would be a little weird having to use the Wiimote on that small screen. I'm guessing you can display them on the tv screen.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sergio: Nice, I had no idea that was an option O.o. There are a few people I need to tell that to.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a ps4 and enjoy it, but i would go with whatever system has the exclusives you want. However it's pretty much a flip from last gen, where as ps4 will run multiplatform games much better(on average) than the xbone, but the difference won't be all that IMO. It's less of a multimedia device though, which is a shame when it can't stream movies and music when the ps3 can smh.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MachoFantastico

So I went with the Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle. I could drive myself crazy trying to choose but I just don't know the PS4 or Xbox One as enough to appeal to me right now. Watching countless videos of all three didn't make my decision any easier but I did feel that both the PS4 and Xbox One felt a little lifeless at the moment. In all honesty the only game I could see myself being interested in right now is FIFA 14 and even that isn't quite enough. I have sort of an interest in InFamous, but not enough to worthy the purchase and Killzone doesn't do much for me these days. I said no to the Xbox One a few days ago due to concerns about Kinect compatibility and the fact that it would cost a little more than the PS4. Right now my PC is satisfying my third party needs so neither console could scratch that itch. Maybe when there's more interesting exclusives I'll seriously consider one. But from what I've seen of it I find the Wii U charming for some reason, it's innocent and not about shooting dudes in the face or CoD adverts splattered about everywhere... right now I think that's what I need. The innocence of Nintendo again to recapture my interest.

Plus getting a Wii U also meant I could pick up a 3DS XL, there's a bunch of 3DS games I want to play so that was an added bonus. I'm hopefully going to get some more games soon to, including Super Mario World 3D, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem (excited about that one) and probably the Pushblox games, plus I'll get Windwaker HD in that promotion having barely ever played that game on GameCube. If you have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Corevi

@machofantastico: Wonderful 101 is a fantastic game if you have any fondness for stuff like Power Rangers.

No Caption Provided

You can also get a free copy of either New Super Mario Bros U, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3 or Wii Party U from Club Nintendo because you got Mario Kart 8.