#1 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

Hey guys, I just need some confirmation about a graphics card to run Diablo 3. According to the wiki, D3 requires a min graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better.

I have just checked my computers specs, and it says the grpahics card is: Intel HD Graphics 3000 ("up to 1760 MB Dynamic Video Memory")

Sorry guys, but will this graphics card be abe to run D3 on its lowest setting?

For the record, my comp meets all the other required specs.

If you reply, please tag me in it so I don't miss it.

Thanks heaps!

#2 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

doing a quick google i'd say the outlook doesn't look good.

for reference, apple laptops use that for power saving but when 3D apps are running they switch off to an AMD.

#3 Posted by nintendoeats (5975 posts) -

That basically means that you don't have a graphics card. I don't know how decent modern integrated graphics chipsets are, but if your lucky you'll be able to eck it out with minimum settings.

#4 Edited by Toxeia (729 posts) -

You could probably handle it at lowest settings, but integrated graphics are pretty awful. If you have a desktop computer I'd recommend you open it up and identify the graphics port (Most likely PCI-E unless it's a dated machine) you have and purchase accordingly. Just about anything will be better than an integrated graphics chipset.

If you've a laptop though... you're boned unless it has a separate video card that it's not using because it's defaulting to the Intel chipset. I wouldn't know how to change that, but there was someone else on these forums that had a problem with their laptop and that was the issue. Believe they wanted to play Risen 2...

#5 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -

You'll be fine if you drop the res back to 720p. If you're worried just wait for the starter edition to be made available to the public or get a guest pass from friend.

#6 Posted by SockemJetpack (408 posts) -

If it makes you feel any better my PC can run it but I can't play it either. Badum bum.

#7 Edited by Downside (48 posts) -

Yeah, that means you don't have a graphics card. I think Intel 3000 is the Sandy Bridge integrated graphics, maybe other generations used 3000 as well I'm not sure. Anyways, Integrated graphics are highly limited you will also be using your systems RAM rather than dedicated VRAM from a discrete graphics card, so your RAM will be strained in two different areas where systems with a graphics card would only be strained in one. So I would check how much ram you have as well cause if you only have the minimum requirements for system ram that fact that you have no VRAM will basically mean you are RAM deficient. Really ought to just buy a cheaper graphics card if the system you are running is a desktop, though I bet it is a laptop.

#8 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@Gav47:So does the graphics card essentially control the res? Sorry for the noob question. Also, thanks for the suggestion about a friend. I will definitely try that. Can you please give me a quick rundown of how the guest pass works?

@Toxeia: Unfortunately I have a laptop - I believe the non-alterable typ

#9 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -

@GloriousDinosaur said:

@Gav47:So does the graphics card essentially control the res? Sorry for the noob question.

No, well, not just that. The GPU controls (mostly) everything that is displayed on the screen. The more complex the geometry is, the larger the textures are, the higher your resolution is... the more stressed your GPU will be. Of course, the other parts of your PC will come into play when you want to determine the performance of a game, but, generally speaking, you need a fast GPU to play with all the bells and whistles. The integrated card you have is not good, although it's miles better than what integrated cards used to be. You could be able to play the game on the bare minimum on a low resolution... but at that point you should be asking yourself if you think it's worth playing the game making all those sacrifices.

#10 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Thanks man. When you say real low res/trextures etc, are we talkin g just downright ugly? If so, is that ugly for a pc gamer or a console gamer? Is it unplayable?

#11 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -

@GloriousDinosaur: That really depends on the game. Unreal Engine 3 low textures tend to be unbearably ugly. Console textures are usually something in-between min and max PC textures, but, really, it all depends on the game. I haven't been able to play Diablo III yet, but I imagine that the lowest resolution textures will be bland, but tolerable.

#12 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@GloriousDinosaur: That really depends on the game. Unreal Engine 3 low textures tend to be unbearably ugly. Console textures are usually something in-between min and max PC textures, but, really, it all depends on the game. I haven't been able to play Diablo III yet, but I imagine that the lowest resolution textures will be bland, but tolerable.

Hmmm.. I may have to go a google search to see just how bad these textures are

#13 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@Gav47 said:

You'll be fine if you drop the res back to 720p. If you're worried just wait for the starter edition to be made available to the public or get a guest pass from friend.

Also man, what is this starter edition?

#14 Posted by Fattony12000 (7263 posts) -

An NVIDIA GT 440 is dirt cheap (under £50) and will run D3. Integrated graphics ain't gonna get you anywhere in REAL PC Master Race gaming.

#15 Posted by JoeyRavn (4961 posts) -

@GloriousDinosaur said:

@Gav47 said:

Also man, what is this starter edition?

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-starter-edition-guest-pass

It's basically the beta, but with a guest pass. A month from now you'll be able to access it freely, just like the WoW Starter Edition, without needing to have a guest pass.

Also, mind you. I'm not saying you'll be able to play the game with your PC, even in the lowest settings. What I'm saying is that IF you are able to run it, it'll probably be on the lowest settings (and with not a very good framerate, I assume). You should try to get hold of a guest pass and try the Starter Edition before buying the game, just to be sure you can run it good enough for you.

#16 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@JoeyRavn: Will do all of this. I thank you man

#17 Posted by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

If you're not willing to invest into a card, wait for the console version. What is the point of playing D3 on lowest settings? The game is all atmosphere, might as well go play flash games.

#18 Posted by liquidmatt (230 posts) -

@GloriousDinosaur said:

Hey guys, I just need some confirmation about a graphics card to run Diablo 3. According to the wiki, D3 requires a min graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce® 7800 GT or ATI Radeon™ X1950 Pro or better.

I have just checked my computers specs, and it says the grpahics card is: Intel HD Graphics 3000 ("up to 1760 MB Dynamic Video Memory")

Sorry guys, but will this graphics card be abe to run D3 on its lowest setting?

For the record, my comp meets all the other required specs.

If you reply, please tag me in it so I don't miss it.

Thanks heaps!

If it's of any help I'm currently using my laptop with the integrated HD 4200 which I would guess is not too far removed from yours (mine has 'Dynamic Memory' of 1,920MB).

Diablo III runs at lowest settings easily, and I can even boost the resolution and textures a bit with little impact on the smoothness. The 'atmosphere' is not ruined at all.

But as with anything, it depends on your card so a guest pass (if you can get one) or another way of actually running it might be helpful than me, sorry!

#19 Posted by GloriousDinosaur (433 posts) -

@liquidmatt: Thanks man :)

It seems like we are in the same situation :) I got onto my buddy about a guest pass and I am currently midway through the download... We shall see man! But seriously, thanks for the info :)

@Beaudacious:

I am not unwilling to invest in a card - money isnt an issue. It is just that I find it foolish to consider investing in a pc purely for gaming purposes (especially when 'gaming' will equate to Diablo 3 and... more Diablo 3). If it turns out I can run this; brilliant! If not, that sucks, but it is not the end of the world.

#20 Posted by believer258 (11775 posts) -

I wouldn't try it. I have integrated graphics and gaming on that is.... less than stellar, to put it lightly.

It might run, but it very likely won't run pleasantly.

#21 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
#22 Posted by Murdouken (709 posts) -

Do not try to play video games on an Intel graphics card. It will not work well, if at all, and will be a very unpleasant gaming experience if it does.

#23 Posted by benspyda (2032 posts) -

My Macbook Air has intel HD 3000, I'm curious to see how well it would run on that. Not that I need it to as I have a computer that can run it maxed out without breaking a sweat, but just out of curiosity.

#24 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Diablo 3 scales really well, and integrated graphics, particularly today, aren't as bad as people say. Maybe you'll have to turn down the resolution, and certainly play at very low settins, but I would be surprised if you couldn't get a decent experience out of it.

@GloriousDinosaur said:

@liquidmatt: Thanks man :)

It seems like we are in the same situation :) I got onto my buddy about a guest pass and I am currently midway through the download... We shall see man! But seriously, thanks for the info :)

@Beaudacious:

I am not unwilling to invest in a card - money isnt an issue. It is just that I find it foolish to consider investing in a pc purely for gaming purposes (especially when 'gaming' will equate to Diablo 3 and... more Diablo 3). If it turns out I can run this; brilliant! If not, that sucks, but it is not the end of the world.

A cheap and decent card could encourage you to get more into the glorious world of PC gaming though! :3