Just finished Chrono Trigger not sure what to play next!

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bcooper21

As topic said i just finished the game one best if not best games i have ever played. It was my first jrpg and im not really sure where or what to play now since there seem to be so many good ones and ones suggested. Earthbound on wii u seems to be highly suggested, persona series, final fantasy series though im unsure what ones are worth playing.

Also im not sure if i should play Chrono cross i seem to see mixed things about it alot people love it say its better than trigger others hate it...

washingmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have CT next on my list after I've finished Sunset Overdrive and Bayonetta 2. Thanks for reminding me that it's going to be awesome!

JerryLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JerryLee

If you're looking for good RPGs around that wheelhouse I only played two other games that I enjoyed in the same way I did Chrono Trigger.

-Star Ocean the Second Story for PSX

-Tales of Destiny II for the PSX or Tales of Eternia for the PSP (Same game, different names from localization)

In terms of the way the story unfolds, how epic it feels, and how much I just enjoyed playing the game overall; these two came the closest to Chrono Trigger for me.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've always wanted to try Chrono Trigger; what did you play it on?

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dussck said:

I've always wanted to try Chrono Trigger; what did you play it on?

DS

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ungodly

If you liked the story and characters of Chrono Trigger, then stay away from Chrono Cross, or it will bum you out.

I'm not the biggest JRPG fan, but Lunar: Eternal Blue is pretty fantastic. I liked Silver Star Story (the first Lunar game), but I found Eternal Blue to be the better of the two, in terms of characters and story.

The first Grandia game is pretty good too.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Earthbound is great! Chrono Cross is awesome too, I'd say play a couple other games first then check out Chrono Cross, go into it with an open mind and you'll enjoy it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're into the 16-bit JRPGs, Earthbound, Final Fantasies IV and VI and Phantasy Star IV (arguably also 2, but it's a grind) are absolutely outstanding. They are must-plays for any fan of the genre. Possibly also Secret of Mana and Terranigma, though those are more action-rpgs.

If you need more, there are also loads of OK to great 16-bit JRPGs as well like: Lufia, Paladin's Quest, Shining Force, Dragon's Quest, Super Mario RPG, Illusions of Gaia... Just do a Google search for 16-bit JRPGs and you'll find a wealth of stuff online.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

If you're looking for another great JRPG, go for Final Fantasy VI. Maybe avoid the mobile version, they redid the graphics and it doesn't look very good.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bcooper21

@l33t_haxor said:

If you're looking for another great JRPG, go for Final Fantasy VI. Maybe avoid the mobile version, they redid the graphics and it doesn't look very good.

Problem is is dont own a wii cant get it on virtual console or gameboy. So where else do i get it. It it that bad on ios or is it just the fans that dont like it maybe i wont mind since i never played original.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@bcooper21: If you have access to it: Earthbound.

Much like Chrono Trigger, it isn't the longest experience in terms of JRPGs, but it's for the same reason: little-to-no grinding.

Also: there are over a dozen Chrono Trigger endings. CATCH 'EM ALL!

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Chrono Cross is a great game, it's just a bad sequel. It's not Chrono Trigger 2, so if you go in knowing that and don't expect a true sequel you'll likely enjoy it. It has a fantastic battle system, incredible music, and a pretty good story. It doesn't have the memorable cast of characters that Trigger has, largely because there are somewhere around 5 times as many potential party members, but there are some good characters mixed in there.

I really enjoyed Chrono Cross, I understand many people didn't because they were looking for Chrono Trigger 2, but I recommend giving it a shot anyway.

cheddartyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

secret of mana

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Chrono Cross, EarthBound, Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Live A Live, Final Fantasy VI, Radiant Historia, Xenogears, Tales of Vesperia, and Alundra. There are also some other 16-bit and PSX ones that I mentioned that are worth checking out, also Radiant Historia (and the Dragon Quest remakes) are some great DS RPGs.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BisonHero

OK, so people have covered a lot of ground already, but I'd also recommend Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story, also available on the DS. It's quite good, and has pretty funny writing and still has interesting battle mechanics.

Yeah, if you have a Wii U, Earthbound is available to buy digitally, and is a pretty interesting JRPG, so it's pretty high on the list of recommendations.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Maedhros925

Final Fantasy VI is the greatest JRPG I've played. Great cast of characters, each bringing something different to combat. A large world to explore, especially in the second act. And one of the most memorable final boss fights in all of gaming. That music!

Loading Video...

I haven't played it since it was ported to PS1, so I don't know how well it holds up today, but if you enjoyed Chrono Trigger on DS then I don't think you'll have any problems. You can play it with any Playstation, just pick up Final Fantasy Anthology. It's cheap on Amazon.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

You should totally play Earthbound. Very unique. Nothing quite like it.

bcooper21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok going off what was recommended FF4, FF6, FF7, EARTHBOUND, Secret of Mana will be my next games thanks :D

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Grandia, Earthbound, Bowser's Inside Story, the first two Paper Mario games, Legend of Dragoon, Makai Kingdom, these are a few of my favorite RPGs.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I was gonna say Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, but it's kind of got a lot of systems going on so it's not a great first or second JRPG. Definitely a top 10 game for me though. I think Ni No Kuni would be a good choice for someone new to the JRPG genre. Jeanne d'Arc is another decent choice if you've got a PSP or Vita.

I should probably play FFVI so I can comment intelligently about it in these kinds of threads. I mean, I have it installed on my Vita and PS3. I just gotta start it. I'm just a bit worried it's overrated.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Breath of Fire III. Psx i think? Put many hours in. Has a fantastic story and a lot of depth.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Naoiko

I second the Ni no Kuni recommend. Also Bravely Default is good but the second ark can run sorta long. To me it was worth hanging in for cause that ending...wooo. The 1000 year door Paper Mario game is freaking amazing. If you can get a copy I 120% recommend that one. It's a delight to play with great characters, attention to detail, and even now it still looks great.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Sessh

FF IV/IX (IV is better then VI, but VI is obviously also great), Star Ocean 1/2/3 (4 has the best combat system in any JRPG in my opinion, but the story/characters are so annoying I can't recommend playing it), Grandia 2, Secret of Mana, Persona 3/4, Lost Odyssey and pretty much the entire Tales series are where it's at. Most suggestions in this thread are pretty damn good and worth a try, though.

Chrono Cross is quite good too, but can't hold a candle to Chrono Trigger.

Anyways just play a Tales game.

CrazyJRPGfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I third the Ni No Kuni game. Just finished playing and managed to get a platinum trophy ;) but seriously I love Chrono trigger and many of the games mentioned and did not expect much of Ni No Kuni but it was so much fun and I am sure you will like it as well.

Another game I also agree with is Terranigma. Weirdly enough this game is not as well known but if you like CT I am sure you will like that game as well. I do love all Final Fantasy games but I loved X (It was my first one so perhaps I am a tad biased here) and FF 9 is also a good one.

O yes Last year I discovered The Tales series and I have since then bought and played many of them. Tales of Graces and Tales of The Abyss come to mind.

just 8 days for FF Type 0 to come out.

Kumatose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By Kumatose

JRPGs that I'd recommend without much hesitation and that I consider among the finest games ever made, period:

Persona 4

Valkyrie Profile

Mother 3 (even better than EarthBound, IMO, though you have to rely on a fan translation.)

Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 1 & 2

Legend of Mana (unjustly neglected.)

Panzer Dragoon Saga (good look finding this...)

The World Ends with You

Very good games that I'd recommend with some qualifications:

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (harsh difficulty for the novice and the plot is rather minimalist, but the atmosphere and visual style are great.)

Persona 2: Innocent Sin/Eternal Punishment (fun story but clunky interface.)

Shadow Hearts: Covenant (don't like this as much as I once did, but it's still worth a try.)

Phantasy Star 4 (slightly dated, but still one of the better games from that era.)

The other JRPGs that I still like tend to be strategy RPGs such as Final Fantasy Tactics, Dragon Force, and Valkyria Chronicles.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

#

@bcooper21:

what consoles and handhelds do you have?

if you want strong characters there really isn't much that comes close to Persona 4.

If you have a 3DS Fire Emblem Awakening, Bravely Default and Dragon Quest 9 (DS) are fantastic.