#1 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -

Looking for some suggestions on free apps to put on this thing. I'm looking for mostly apps since most free games are demos, but if you have a good free game suggestion hit me! 

So far I have:

Pandora
Giant Bomb
Netflix
Getglue
Twitter

#2 Edited by MB (12700 posts) -

Words with Friends, if you like Scrabble. You should jailbreak if you're on a firmware that supports it (not the most current one).

#3 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -

Ouch, I wouldn't have got the Giant Bomb app. It's kinda broken, with no plans to fix it.

#4 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -
@JammyJesus: 

Well, it's free now so...
#5 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -
@JDUB_XL:
Is it? Fair play then.
#6 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Wikipedia
Dex (free Poké dex)
Yelp
IMDB

#7 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -
@MB said:
" Words with Friends, if you like Scrabble. You should jailbreak if you're on a firmware that supports it (not the most current one). "
Only jailbreak if you're ok with some general interface lag and crashing. I had mine jailbroken for about 2 years. When iOS 4 came out, I decided to switch back and it was amazingly refreshing to have everything so snappy and quick again. Not saying it's not worth it considering all the cool extra features made possible by jailbreaking, but it's something that should be known before-hand.
#8 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -

lol@JammyJesus: 

by kinda broken, I did not know you meant no videos work at all lol. It is totally useless.

#9 Posted by Castro (951 posts) -

I don't have an iPhone or iPod, but I heard that Civilization Revolutions was one dollar yesterday. I'm not sure if this sale is still going on and I can't check, but I think that you could do a lot worse for a dollar. Also, Shazam is very handy.

#10 Posted by MB (12700 posts) -
@tdk08: I don't know what you did to your device, but my iPhone is just as fast post-jailbreak as it was with OS4 pre-jailbreak. Maybe you had too many different Winterboard themes or some broken apps running.
#11 Edited by Sogeman (872 posts) -

Monster Mayham. Free atm and fun

Or maybe it's Moster Madness ^^ I forgot

#12 Edited by mau64 (539 posts) -

I know this is two things bad (pimping another website and not having free apps), but joystiq just did a post of a ton of games that have been marked down tremendously. You really might want to consider some of these: 
joystiq

#13 Posted by JammyJesus (770 posts) -
@JDUB_XL: Haha, yeah, the mobile site is so much better than the old app.
#14 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -
@Sogeman: 

Awesome, thank you :)

@mau64: 

Yeah I saw those today before I went out to buy the system. I picked up a few of those games. And you did not do bad. I like sales almost as much as free things.
#15 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -
@MB said:
" @tdk08: I don't know what you did to your device, but my iPhone is just as fast post-jailbreak as it was with OS4 pre-jailbreak. Maybe you had too many different Winterboard themes or some broken apps running. "
It's hardly noticeable. It's just the slight difference of that opening swish of apps not running at 60fps.
#16 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@tdk08
@MB said:
" @tdk08: I don't know what you did to your device, but my iPhone is just as fast post-jailbreak as it was with OS4 pre-jailbreak. Maybe you had too many different Winterboard themes or some broken apps running. "
It's hardly noticeable. It's just the slight difference of that opening swish of apps not running at 60fps.
Sounds like a guilt driven placebo effect to me. My jailbroken 3GS has never let me down at all and I've done heaps with it, including some intense gaming and music creation stuff. Well, as intense as these things get on an idevice anyway.
#17 Posted by JDUB_XL (460 posts) -
@Sogeman: 

Once again, thank you. Monster Mayhem is a really really cool game!
#18 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -
@JDUB_XL:  

Seriously, Angry Birds is worth the price, although truly not free. 

Utilities/News   

Echofon is a great free twitter app if you have regular wifi access. 
NYTimes has a nice free app, depending on how much you like to read. 
ESPN Scorecenter is a great free sports app  
PS Express is free photoshop, but I would just assume use a computer for all that 
Check the free iBooks too, there are some classics put out by the Gutenburg project.  Some stuff that everyone should read (in my opinion) like The Atomic Bombings Report, Art of War, Herodutus, Tess of D'Ubervilles is on there for free. 
Epic Citadel: You have to try it at least once.  Then just go ahead and delete it.

Games 

Sudoku2 by fingerarts is, in my opinion, the best free sudoku app. 
StickSkaterLE is a fun little distraction with decent free preview 
Ramp Champ is a free skeeball app that is pretty good  
CashCab is awesome.  Great for boring car rides, since you can all play together, and if you are holding the phone, you get to be Ben Bailey which is one of my ultimate fantasies.  
ScrambleCE (by Zynga) is currently the only free Game Center app.  Its like Boogle.  If you want to try to get some Game Center points, but don't want to spend money, here you go.  Other free Game Center apps are facebook MMO/idle games, like Farmville, Farm Story, City Story, etc. 
The best free crossword app is simply called "Crossword" and is put out by "Stand Alone, Inc."  The Light (free) version has 61 puzzles, the best I have found so far. 
Froggy Jump: The best free Doodle Jump clone.  Mega Jump is a popular one, but in my opinion far inferior.

Social Networking   

Facebook if you use it, the app is actually well done 
Tumblr has a nice mobile app 
Echofon is my free twitter app of choice 
foursquare/gowalla if you are into that kind of thing, Gowalla looks better, but more people are on foursquare 

Paid but Truly Worth It   

Pixelogic: An amazing picross app, for $0.99.  
FlightControl: Awesome little game, with Game Center support 
DoodleJump: The best "jumping game",  $0.99. 
Stick Golf: One of my favorite apps, I think $1.99. 

Overhyped/Stay Away From   

Ms. PAC-MAN: Even worse than Jeff made it out to be.   I reviewed it here myself if you don't believe me.
Wikipedia: Why not just use Safari so you get features like bookmarking, zooming, turning the screen for horizontal layout? 
Rock Band Free: One song?  Tap Tap Revenge Free gives you upwards for 25 for free. 
Fingerzilla: A pointless app, its not fun.
#19 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @tdk08
@MB said:
Sounds like a guilt driven placebo effect to me. My jailbroken 3GS has never let me down at all and I've done heaps with it, including some intense gaming and music creation stuff. Well, as intense as these things get on an idevice anyway. "
Well, I'm not sure why I would feel any guilt, seeing as JBing is not illegal, but I can definitively say that it was technically not as snappy, as evidenced by the framerates of certain actions it has to preform. It's very easy to tell the difference between 60fps and things that are 20 less than that and more. 

I'll admit that it's a small complaint and I kind of have OCD about that type of thing, but when it happens for 2 years and then doesn't, it's like a breath of fresh air.
#20 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Civ Rev, and both Monkey Island games are 99 cents for a few more hours on iTunes right now.  :|

#21 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@tdk08 That sounds more like you had a 2G and are comparing its performance to a much more recent 4G model. As I said I have a 3GS model and I've never ever noticed any slowdown of any sort. I game on PC and have an eye for these things.
#22 Posted by illmatic19 (964 posts) -

Duke Nukem 3D is free today.

#23 Posted by Sogeman (872 posts) -
@JDUB_XL: 

You're welcome. 

I play it on easy, kinda can't imagine any higher, it's already pretty hard. But then again I almost only use the knife ^^
#24 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -
@Sogeman: Medium is doable once you have bought a few upgrades, but Hard seems to require maxed everything to even come close on.   This was a great recommendation though
#25 Posted by Hunkulese (2785 posts) -

Duke Nukem 3D is free right now