Just got a new PC... any recommendations for security software?

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Haven't had a PC worth gaming on in over a decade and finally invested in getting a pretty good set up. I got a free year of McAfee, but that seems like to most stock standard security out there. I've invested too much in my set up up to trust run of the mill security. Any suggestions on what to get?

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Assuming you're on Windows 10, it (Defender) is built in.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Defender does pretty well, and like @falconer said it's built in. Assuming you're a decently-educated computer user and don't just click on insane ads and follow links from spambots, you'll be okay. I'd pretty hastily uninstall McAfee if I were you because there are lots of reports about it making stuff up to make itself seem useful, slowing down your system, plus it'll begin to bother you about re-upping your subscription too.

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@the_nubster: I can confirm that McAfee is hot garbage. My sister's Dell had it pre-installed. It had some weird popup one day and my sister asked me to look at it. It just ran through some endless loop of nonsense. I opened up Defender, ran a scan, and it found nothing.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BonOrbitz

Along with Windows 10 Defender, I use the free versions of Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware. Maybe it's overkill, but PC Gamer recommended them along with Windows security software in their annual special issue on building a gaming rig in 2011 and I've used them ever since.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never internet ever.

Honestly though, just safe and smart usage of the Internet is the best defense. And flush your DNS every now and then.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Nardak

I am myself using a commercial anti-virus software but I would recommend getting a couple of add-ons for your browser which can make your surfing experience much more secure.

1. Get no script add on...which blocks websites from running any kinds of scripts withouth your approval

2. Get ad block...i know this is a curse word for many websites but you can allow ads from the websites that you trust...there are occasions when malicious programs get inserted into ads (even neogaf had that problem a few days ago)

I know websites dont like ad block but after having had to reformat my computer 2 times a few years back a bit of extra security is a good thing since the websites which had the malicious programs certainly wont compensate me financially for the troubles that they caused to my computer. Not to mention how annoying the pop up ads got a few years back. Or the ads that kinda hijacked your whole browser by starting to run some kinda of video withouth ever asking if i want to see this particular ad. I dont have anything against subtle advertising but i hate this in your face kind of advertising that doesnt even ask you for permission.

Also people can say that they dont use ad block or no script and their computer is just fine but even then their computer could be infected. My computer could also be infected right now even when I am using 3 separate things in order to protect it from viruses.

CujoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@

Thanks for all the responses! I glad I went with my better judgement and didn't install the copy of McAfee. I do have windows 10 so i'll probably stick with @Nardak and @BonOrbitz advice. Thanks guys and/or gals!

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I use avast for my internet, works really well and isn't too invasive. And second malwarebytes where I'll run it every few weeks along with ccleaner to keep my PC clean and running fast

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Malwarebytes (free)
Spybot Anti-beacon (free)...keeps Microsoft out of your bid-ness.
[Optional]: Avira (antivirus)

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@nightriff said:

I use avast for my internet, works really well and isn't too invasive. And second malwarebytes where I'll run it every few weeks along with ccleaner to keep my PC clean and running fast

I can vouch for ccleaner as well. Forgot to mention that.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By OldManLight

windows defender does fine for me assuming you're not being reckless and paying attention to what you're downloading and installing.

also second for CCleaner and Malwarebytes for on demand scanning/cleanup.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I find ESET Smart Security to be a very good solution. I also used Kaspersky but I liked ESET a bit more.

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By betterley

I highly recommend Webroot.

It's fast and lightweight, compared to my experience with other anti-viruses.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

1. Malwarebytes

2. Ad block

3. Windows Defender

Done.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Malwarebytes is great, I've also had good experiences with Panda AV and AVG Free. Spybot Anti-Beacon is good for blocking Microsoft's telemetry and such as well.

I've heard heard so-so things about the most recent version of Windows Defender. It isn't bad in its own right, but not great compared to other free AVs out there.

ultragamerockx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we talking about Internet filters or actual computer security software or is it to do with virus scans?

ultragamerockx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cujoprime: CCTV is great for security (LOL), no, really? I would say Mcaffe is the most well known security software. But, it's up to you.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Keepass

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@yothatlimp said:

1. Malwarebytes

2. Ad block

3. Windows Defender

Done.

This is all you need. Also 1password for, well, passwords.

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I use Avast. It's free and unobtrusive.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two things that will help you out the most are adblock and noscript plugins for your browser of choice. Paying for security software is completely unnecessary. Defender and Malwarebytes will be fine.

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hmoney001

I've always liked Bitdefender but there free version doesnt work with win10.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp said:

1. Malwarebytes

2. Ad block

3. Windows Defender

Done.

This is all you need. Also 1password for, well, passwords.

Seconded.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with those who said MalwareBytes. Use it to get rid of stuff on some computers for both family and work.

I roll AdBlock and NoScript on Firefox which is probably the main thing that's kept me good for so long (well, that and not doing dumb stuff like when I was younger...ah, Limewire. Music or a virus? Roll that dice!).

I also have AVG Free as a kind of base level protection at home, but I'm still on Windows 7 (and honestly I have it mostly out of habit at this point). My work uses Webroot which seems to be fine as well, but I don't have much personal experience with it. Windows Defender will probably work just fine if you have that though.