Just sat & heard some Oblivion OSTs, and now I gotta write a blog

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

Edited By armaan8014

I love this game a lot. And I love it for reasons not shared by most people. People would usually like the game for... I dunno, it's side quests, it's story, gameplay, character progression etc etc. I love all of that too, but there's some other reason why I keep returning to this game year after year.

The game is just beautiful in every aspect. The music, the landscapes, the books, there's ... something which sets this game apart from ALL other games, however great they may be. 

So today I somehow stumbled upon one of the game's beautiful OSTs, and reading the comments, I realized I was not alone in how I felt for the game. (beautiful comments on YT are rare and refreshing, btw)

So here are some of the tracks, and some REALLY awesome, poetic comments. MAN I gotta go back and play this game.

"This song expresses something that can't be written in words. Something about riding out on a long and lonely journey....I'm at a loss."

kungfubellydancer

hlvrn :

This clip reminds me of traveling in the great wilderness of Cyrodiil. The stars shimmer above me, like diamonds in the dark, endless firmament. Accompanied are the moons of Secunda and Masser, illuminating the environment with their mystical moonlight.

I am alone, yet I do not feel alone. I feel safe and peaceful, as I run through the countless of trees, to finally reach a hill - looking down at the mighty Empire of Cyrodiil.

This song reminds me of melancholy, loss and grief. It's the feeling (especially at time when the song uplifts from the sorrow) that everything is always changing, what is lost is perhaps lost forever and for good or ill we must be strong and move on without it, hopefully into a new, yet different golden age of peace or happiness. This is what this song reminds me of, its so beautiful. I was in love with it as soon as I first heard it, far above the other songs for me.

Standuble 2 ^

This brilliant heart warming piece of music, most definately reflects on the losses weve suffered throughout war, the soldiers that risks thier lives for use, the familys torn apart, the marriages split, the children without parents, desctruction and chaos. Although the world is far from peace, this song reminds us of what peace is and to never give up, it always brings a tear to my eye.

hamjee01

How i would love to live in these times. Hunting with my brothers, Searching Unknown lands, Drinking ale with my Friends after a hard Days work, hiking mountains and hunting deers. Has anyone else looked up at the night sky in oblivion and seen its beauty and wished for a world just like it?

ForzaAguero12

I have so many flashbacks when I hear this piece...walking in a Count's presence, exploring the countryside, jumping off dive rock, hunting...walking through the Imperial City,,

roundedhalo 2

I always liked the solitary feeling of traveling while the music played. I love the moments you make for yourself in Oblivion.

InuRyutheDiegron

I don't know what to say about all this, but I felt I just had to write something down and see whether other people feel the same.

One of the unique things in this game is, even though it's very open world and can be played in any way, there are somethings that all Oblivion players share and can laugh about. Like how the music suddenly changes, and you turn around, looking for enemies, but don't see anyone. The battle music increases your tension, and suddenly you look down, and see a mudcrab slowly making his way towards you. 

Mudcrab 1- Look, it's the Hero of Kvatch.

Mudcrab 2- Oh ya. We should go say hi.

Mudcrab 1- Oh my God dude, Your going to try to attack him aren't you?

Mudcrab 2- Hehehe. Yes.

Mudcrab 1- You're such an idiot. You're a fucking crab. He'll kill you.

Mudcrab 2- I can't help it. I was created for this.

Mudcrab 1- To annoy the living shit out of every person who approaches a body of water, and to get yourself killed in the process?

Mudcrab 2- It's why we're here!

Mudcrab 1- OPEN YOUR EYES!!!

darthgueedo

So tell me what your thoughts are on these aspects of the game! Do you live the game the way some of us do, or did you just rush through and fast travel your way to the end (My cousin did that. Murder, in my opinion)

All I can say is: Can't wait for 11/11/11!

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By armaan8014

I love this game a lot. And I love it for reasons not shared by most people. People would usually like the game for... I dunno, it's side quests, it's story, gameplay, character progression etc etc. I love all of that too, but there's some other reason why I keep returning to this game year after year.

The game is just beautiful in every aspect. The music, the landscapes, the books, there's ... something which sets this game apart from ALL other games, however great they may be. 

So today I somehow stumbled upon one of the game's beautiful OSTs, and reading the comments, I realized I was not alone in how I felt for the game. (beautiful comments on YT are rare and refreshing, btw)

So here are some of the tracks, and some REALLY awesome, poetic comments. MAN I gotta go back and play this game.

"This song expresses something that can't be written in words. Something about riding out on a long and lonely journey....I'm at a loss."

kungfubellydancer

hlvrn :

This clip reminds me of traveling in the great wilderness of Cyrodiil. The stars shimmer above me, like diamonds in the dark, endless firmament. Accompanied are the moons of Secunda and Masser, illuminating the environment with their mystical moonlight.

I am alone, yet I do not feel alone. I feel safe and peaceful, as I run through the countless of trees, to finally reach a hill - looking down at the mighty Empire of Cyrodiil.

This song reminds me of melancholy, loss and grief. It's the feeling (especially at time when the song uplifts from the sorrow) that everything is always changing, what is lost is perhaps lost forever and for good or ill we must be strong and move on without it, hopefully into a new, yet different golden age of peace or happiness. This is what this song reminds me of, its so beautiful. I was in love with it as soon as I first heard it, far above the other songs for me.

Standuble 2 ^

This brilliant heart warming piece of music, most definately reflects on the losses weve suffered throughout war, the soldiers that risks thier lives for use, the familys torn apart, the marriages split, the children without parents, desctruction and chaos. Although the world is far from peace, this song reminds us of what peace is and to never give up, it always brings a tear to my eye.

hamjee01

How i would love to live in these times. Hunting with my brothers, Searching Unknown lands, Drinking ale with my Friends after a hard Days work, hiking mountains and hunting deers. Has anyone else looked up at the night sky in oblivion and seen its beauty and wished for a world just like it?

ForzaAguero12

I have so many flashbacks when I hear this piece...walking in a Count's presence, exploring the countryside, jumping off dive rock, hunting...walking through the Imperial City,,

roundedhalo 2

I always liked the solitary feeling of traveling while the music played. I love the moments you make for yourself in Oblivion.

InuRyutheDiegron

I don't know what to say about all this, but I felt I just had to write something down and see whether other people feel the same.

One of the unique things in this game is, even though it's very open world and can be played in any way, there are somethings that all Oblivion players share and can laugh about. Like how the music suddenly changes, and you turn around, looking for enemies, but don't see anyone. The battle music increases your tension, and suddenly you look down, and see a mudcrab slowly making his way towards you. 

Mudcrab 1- Look, it's the Hero of Kvatch.

Mudcrab 2- Oh ya. We should go say hi.

Mudcrab 1- Oh my God dude, Your going to try to attack him aren't you?

Mudcrab 2- Hehehe. Yes.

Mudcrab 1- You're such an idiot. You're a fucking crab. He'll kill you.

Mudcrab 2- I can't help it. I was created for this.

Mudcrab 1- To annoy the living shit out of every person who approaches a body of water, and to get yourself killed in the process?

Mudcrab 2- It's why we're here!

Mudcrab 1- OPEN YOUR EYES!!!

darthgueedo

So tell me what your thoughts are on these aspects of the game! Do you live the game the way some of us do, or did you just rush through and fast travel your way to the end (My cousin did that. Murder, in my opinion)

All I can say is: Can't wait for 11/11/11!

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I did that in Morrowind.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

I thought the music from Morrowind was better. This wasn't as original, Jeremy Soule's starting to repeat himself, Williams style. 

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Venatio

The music in Oblivion was amazing sometimes, my favorite is Glory of Cyrodiil, it's a theme I would describe as beautiful

But you forgot one, when I heard this in the intro I said "fuck yeah!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

@Venatio: agreed. the main theme is so identifiable to me it's made that franchise special.
Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Moth_Pope

Man, hearing some of these took me back a few years. Oblivion is a great game. One of the only open world games I've 100%'d.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By armaan8014
@XII_Sniper:
@TheSeductiveMoose:

You know what? I've never played Morrowind. Considering my love for Oblivion, that's a really strange thing. I should find time and play that someday.

@zudthespud said:

" @Venatio: agreed. the main theme is so identifiable to me it's made that franchise special. "
Sounds a bit like the PoC theme doesnt it? But then, why wouldn't it? Jeremy Soule composed music for both of those.

@Moth_Pope said:

" Man, hearing some of these took me back a few years. Oblivion is a great game. One of the only open world games I've 100%'d. "
Here's the funny thing - I had started the main quest only on my first playthrough of the game years back, and had not enjoyed the game much for some reason. Since then, I've started the game about 4-5 times, but have NEVER started the main quest since! There are no Oblivion gates in my beautiful Cyrodill, it's like a completely different game! I just keep doing all the side quests and exploring the world.

Once i'm done with everything there is to do in the game, THEN ill go ahead and start the main quest. :D

paulm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By paulm

i just bought this game a few days ago and really like it. game play wise it holds up very well, when you consider it was pretty much a 360 launch game it's crazy how much they fit in to this game.

also i hate the crabs and dogs whats their fucking deal

KittenMitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By KittenMitten

So weird....the Morrowind OST just came up in my playlist a little while ago.  While I agree that it was a little better than Oblivion's, they are both so very atmospheric and completely sell me on the fantasy world thing.  Come to think of it, Fallout 3 and New Vegas also have pretty decent music.  Maybe Bethesda doesn't want to be like everyone else and put bargain bin shit in their games.

SonKite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SonKite

Loved that game and the music takes me back. I only finished the main story but I have all the expansions. I stopped playing Shivering Isles about half way into the main story.  I don't know how may hours I have played that game, but it was a three digit number.  The elder scrolls wiki was my friend.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By armaan8014

Just went and installed the game again, and tried out my almost an year old save. I came up in a tavern, and some beautiful music started playing. 

Best thing I did all day

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Moth_Pope
@armaan8014 said:

"Here's the funny thing - I had started the main quest only on my first playthrough of the game years back, and had not enjoyed the game much for some reason. Since then, I've started the game about 4-5 times, but have NEVER started the main quest since! There are no Oblivion gates in my beautiful Cyrodill, it's like a completely different game! I just keep doing all the side quests and exploring the world.

Once i'm done with everything there is to do in the game, THEN ill go ahead and start the main quest. :D"

Haha, I started off doing that. I was playing with the difficulty a little over normal and completed pretty much all of the side quests. After a while I'd hit the level cap so decided to start the main quest. I could tear through enemies in small side quest-sized doses, but when it came to the main story I honestly couldn't get through it without lowering the difficulty. Dungeons and factions full of top level bad guys was incredibly slow and difficult to trawl through. Still loved it, though. :D

@SonKite said:

"I don't know how may hours I have played that game, but it was a three digit number."

Same here. Definitely reached the over 100 hour mark.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By armaan8014
@Moth_Pope said:
I could tear through enemies in small side quest-sized doses, but when it came to the main story I honestly couldn't get through it without lowering the difficulty. Dungeons and factions full of top level bad guys was incredibly slow and difficult to trawl through. Still loved it, though. :D

"
You... you mean the main quests become HARDER?! I didn't think of that.Thanks to level scaling?
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Weirdly enough, I actually think Morrowind has a better soundtrack. Don't get me wrong, I think Oblivion's tunes do an excellent job of establishing ambiance and atmosphere, but I think that Morrowind's soundtrack being a little more pronounced and orchestral works in its favor. 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SSully

Mmmmm the music is memorable. I never got into oblvion as much as others. I easily put in over 60 hours, but for a game like oblivion that is not as much as most people. The music still makes me think of different moments in the game, moments of just exploring by myself.  

I spent wayyyy more time with fallout 3, and the music, although it is very subtle, does the same thing to me. It creates a lonely feeling, and that feeling mixed with the emptiness and the destruction of the world, make for some powerful emotions for a video game. 

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Moth_Pope
@armaan8014 said:
" @Moth_Pope said:
I could tear through enemies in small side quest-sized doses, but when it came to the main story I honestly couldn't get through it without lowering the difficulty. Dungeons and factions full of top level bad guys was incredibly slow and difficult to trawl through. Still loved it, though. :D"
You... you mean the main quests become HARDER?! I didn't think of that.Thanks to level scaling?"

Exactly right. What would usually be a low level enemy becomes a either much harder version of it (ie. skeleton to skeleton champion) or is replaced completely. For example I went through the main quest at around level 30 or so (from what I remember...) and what would have been the normal imps, scamps or trolls become wraiths, daedroth and ogres. At least from my experience. Definitely something to keep in mind!
Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By Bollard
Having played Oblivion before I first played Morrowind, of course my opinion is skewed, but God I think the music in Oblivion is the best in any game ever... Just listening to the songs now immediately draws me straight back into my favourite fictional world, and to me that's the best thing ever.  

There's a reason this is the only RPG I've ever felt compelled to start a second character on - and spend this much time in. 

@armaan8014 said: 
"

Just went and installed the game again, and tried out my almost an year old save. I came up in a tavern, and some beautiful music started playing. 

Best thing I did all day

"
 Quoted for making me want to do this. 
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By Gizmo

It's the same tingly feeling I get when I think about Lord Of The Rings or something suitably 'epic'.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By armaan8014
@Moth_Pope said:
" @armaan8014 said:
" @Moth_Pope said:
I could tear through enemies in small side quest-sized doses, but when it came to the main story I honestly couldn't get through it without lowering the difficulty. Dungeons and factions full of top level bad guys was incredibly slow and difficult to trawl through. Still loved it, though. :D"
You... you mean the main quests become HARDER?! I didn't think of that.Thanks to level scaling?"

Exactly right. What would usually be a low level enemy becomes a either much harder version of it (ie. skeleton to skeleton champion) or is replaced completely. For example I went through the main quest at around level 30 or so (from what I remember...) and what would have been the normal imps, scamps or trolls become wraiths, daedroth and ogres. At least from my experience. Definitely something to keep in mind! "
ohhh!!! Mother effer! And me being just a weak old archer and all, I think I'm gonna have a bad time at the end :O
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By xyzygy

While the music in Oblivion was great it didn't come close to matching Morrowind's. Man that soundtrack was truly sweeping. Truly.

Moth_Pope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Moth_Pope
@armaan8014 said:
" @Moth_Pope said:
" @armaan8014 said:
" @Moth_Pope said:

Exactly right. What would usually be a low level enemy becomes a either much harder version of it (ie. skeleton to skeleton champion) or is replaced completely. For example I went through the main quest at around level 30 or so (from what I remember...) and what would have been the normal imps, scamps or trolls become wraiths, daedroth and ogres. At least from my experience. Definitely something to keep in mind! "
ohhh!!! Mother effer! And me being just a weak old archer and all, I think I'm gonna have a bad time at the end :O "
It'll be hard but I'm sure you'll get by. I know it's not the way you'd want to do it, but then there's no penalty for turning down the difficulty a bit if needs be, and it can be done on the fly. It's almost like they expected people to do that, as the enemy level scaling is pretty rough. I was close to starting a new character just to run through the main quest, but pushed through. He was a typical Barbarian brute force kind of guy though, which made things a bit easier. Especially compared to the speedy archer type.

At least you'll get more time to soak in the soundtrack. :p

Good luck!
DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DeF

I've never played Oblivion or any other Elder Scrolls game (except for a few minutes of Morrowind which game with my graphics card many many years ago) but you absolutely hooked me on the music! that is exactly my cup of tea! (I've started to collect game soundtracks last year) But now I'm extremely frustrated that there is no CD version of this beautiful score :(

SamSharp505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SamSharp505

After reading these comments I think I will have to try morrowind :P 
And good thread I definitely know what you mean Oblivion was a really beautiful game in almost all ways, I think the only game I'd rate higher in that sense would be Wind Waker. :)

EvilKatarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By EvilKatarn

You "missed" the best damn song in the game. 

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By EuanDewar

I have played a large amount of both Oblivion and Morrowind and I can say I heavily lean towards Oblivion. Man...I fucking love everything about that game.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By armaan8014
@DeF said:
" I've never played Oblivion or any other Elder Scrolls game (except for a few minutes of Morrowind which game with my graphics card many many years ago) but you absolutely hooked me on the music! that is exactly my cup of tea! (I've started to collect game soundtracks last year) But now I'm extremely frustrated that there is no CD version of this beautiful score :( "
Well you get the soundtrack, in mp3 version in one of the game folders itself. Get it if you haven't yet!

@Chavtheworld said:
" @armaan8014 said: 
"

Best thing I did all day

"
 Quoted for making me want to do this.  "
hehe.. That's Oblivion :)

@SamSharp505 said:
" After reading these comments I think I will have to try morrowind :P And good thread I definitely know what you mean Oblivion was a really beautiful game in almost all ways, I think the only game I'd rate higher in that sense would be Wind Waker. :) "

Me too! Imagine a game which many people regard as better than Oblivion! Got to try it, but sadly I don't have enough time. Hope I can find some time to try it out.
pabsi9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pabsi9

Oblivion is my favorite game of all time..256 hrs n counting...I bought the soundtrack...everytime I'm mad or just need to chill I just listen to it....wish I lived in oblivions world

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DeF
@armaan8014 said:
" @DeF said:
" I've never played Oblivion or any other Elder Scrolls game (except for a few minutes of Morrowind which game with my graphics card many many years ago) but you absolutely hooked me on the music! that is exactly my cup of tea! (I've started to collect game soundtracks last year) But now I'm extremely frustrated that there is no CD version of this beautiful score :( "
Well you get the soundtrack, in mp3 version in one of the game folders itself. Get it if you haven't yet!

I hate it when music is only released digitally. Hate it with a passion!
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By MysteriousBob

The world stopped me from enjoying the game. Everyone looks the same and speaks the same lines even when its different voice actors.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By armaan8014
@MysteriousBob said:

" The world stopped me from enjoying the game. Everyone looks the same and speaks the same lines even when its different voice actors. "

haha, there's another side of oblivion that I love, the retarded side. And the stupid voice acting helps me to enjoy that as well :D

And his epic return
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow I've been going through my old blogs and I ended up discovering this one again. Aaah my love for Oblivion... Skyrim couldn't do what Oblivion did :(

And those comments on those youtube vids, so beautiful and poetic. Sadly and hauntingly though, the videos that I'd linked all say that the user has been banned from Youtube and hence the vids aren't watchable. That's...sad.

This first comment that I linked under the vids fits pretty well:
"This song reminds me of melancholy, loss and grief. It's the feeling (especially at time when the song uplifts from the sorrow) that everything is always changing, what is lost is perhaps lost forever and for good or ill we must be strong and move on without it, hopefully into a new, yet different golden age of peace or happiness. This is what this song reminds me of, its so beautiful. I was in love with it as soon as I first heard it, far above the other songs for me."

sigh... beauty

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I listen to the Oblivion soundtrack from time to time as well. I think I like Skyrim a little better, but like the difference between Morrowind and Oblivion, there are some things I miss. Skyrim seems a little bit too serious about itself, something that I didn't quite get from Oblivion and parts of Morrowind are just fucking weird, and I haven't even played tons of Morrowind.

If anything about Oblivion really sticks with me, it's the music and the cities. The countryside was too repetitive, the dungeons were mostly bland and boring, the facial animations and repetitive voice actors were weird, but the cities generally felt pretty large and lively and the music was just so damn great to listen to. Oh, yeah, and it was my first Elder Scrolls game - no amount of repetitiveness can really stop a newcomer from appreciating just how awesome the idea of such a huge well-made world where you can see and do so much is. And it's still quite fascinating to go back and play Oblivion.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By nights

I love the Oblivion OST, especially All's Well. It's so tranquil, it reminds me of tip-toeing around the Imperial City in search of something to swipe!

Loading Video...