SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Activision = EA in 2000ish
You love them now, but you'll hate them soon enough.

It'll become stale.  Agree?  Disagree?  I think it's safe to say Guitar Hero has- sad too as it was so fun the first time.  COD hasn't yet, but it will hit it.  (although I do hope they pulla  Rainbow Six like revamp again soon to keep interest)
Yearly franchises with little change FTL!
--- Activision also relies on gimmicks quite a bit,.  shoving plastic onto us with great success.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Huh?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By jakob187
SmugDarkLoser said:
Activision = EA in 2000ishYou love them now, but you'll hate them soon enough. It'll become stale.  Agree?  Disagree?  I ... [more]
Wait...you still have confidence in Activision?  Have you even SEEN Tony Hawk over the last four years?  Activision started failing a long time ago.

The only thing that could save them is a seriously amazing and awesome Pitfall Harry game.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheFreeMan

I thought everyone had already caught on to the whole "Activision is the new EA" thing.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Yeah... Activision being the more "evil" evil corporation is a 2008 phenomenon.

I think you should put it back in there.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ Well they've had much success lately.  It's the acquisition of Guitar Hero and Call of Duty that did that pretty much alone.  They rely way to much on these for all their revenue and these franchises are yearly and don't change significantly from one iteration to the next.  Sound familiar?

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Activision now is much worse in this sense than EA ever was.  People used to bash EA unfairly IMO.  I mean, the CEO of Activivision said he wanted to "exploit" their IPs on a yearly basis.  Afterward he probably sacrificed some small animal to the financial gods.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
Activision now is much worse in this sense than EA ever was.  People used to bash EA unfairly IMO.  I ... [more]
I know, it doesn't make sense.  And they said they want COD to expand into other genres.  activision does realize that COD has no appeal to it besides "solid generic war multiplayer shooter"?  The Call of Duty lore, if there even is any, is garbage.

Soldier of Fortune: Payback's universe is just as good.

-- Also, Blizzard is evil.  great games, but they charge $15/per month for wow, despite its huge userbase, and are milking starcraft into 3 games.   If you haven't noticed they're relying on their old ips quite a bit.  Make something new!  I want a new diablo, but you have to make, well, the "next diablo" as well (in reference to a new series of equal quality)

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@SmugDarkLoser:
Yeah they should totally put the monthly fee down for WoW, especially since the WoW team at Blizzard is only like 160 people..Do you realize how much money they are making?!
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmugDarkLoser said:
Stephen_Von_Cloud said: Activision now is much worse in this sense than EA ever was.  People used to bash EA unfairly ... [more]
I think Blizzard makes quality products and the WoW charges are fine, but I can't believe they are doing that with Starcraft III.  Even if the campaigns are long, they probably don't take a ton of work to produce (I can't imagine that RTS campaigns are as hard to make as other genres).  Glad I have no interest in that game.  Won't matter though and Blizzard will be making millions and millions from here to Korea.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#11  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am not going to disagree with you. Activision has become the corporate exploiter that EA used to be, especially in the way that they whore out Guitar Hero every 6 months to a naive and willing public.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
SmugDarkLoser said: Stephen_Von_Cloud said: Activision now is much worse in this sense than EA ever was.  People used to bash ... [more]
Both Activision's and Blizzard's methods are going to bite them in the ass one day.  People are going to get sick of the same franchises from Activision eventually and, you know, who's to say people are going to adopt Blizzard's next MMO?
And notice, if activision does enough to evolve COD or Guitar Hero, they won't run into this problem.   They won't.
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's something though:

Everyone may feel much better about EA now that they have this great partners program and are making interesting new IPs, but what has it gotten them?  The evil corporation Activision Blizzard is doing well and they are not.  The industry seems to be, in itself, rewarding to those who are evil.  Hopefully EA proves me wrong and starts making a profit because I am a big fan of what they are doing as a company now.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ EA isn't doing bad though.  Dead Space sold 1.4 million and Mirror's Edge sold 1.3 million (source vgchartz)

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA: Quality up, but Q309 earnings 'below' expectations

This is one case where the phrase "lipstick on a pig" is quite accurate: in trying to dress up his company's disappointing Q3 earnings, for the period ended December 31, 2008, EA CEO John Riccitiello is quick to point out that despite a holiday quarter that "came in below" expectations, the company "delivered on game quality and innovation in calendar 2008." In other words, game quality is good while sales ... not so much. We're seeing a pattern.

Net loss for the quarter was $641 million, $150 million below street estimates and far from last year's $33 million loss in the same period. While much of the performance can be attributed to macro economic situations (read: the crappy economy), EA admits that a "significant proportion relates to our own performance." So, getting operations in line with revenue is an important step – to that end, EA will be laying off 11% of its workforce (up from the previously announced 10%) and closing 12 facilities – "resulting in approximately $500 million of operating expense reductions in fiscal 2010 as compared with our previous plans," said EA CFO Eric Brown.

EA loses $310 million in Q209, 6% of employees being let go

Electronic Arts has revealed its second quarter fiscal results (ending Sept. 30) ... and things aren't pretty. The company lost $310 million in the quarter, another big hit following Q1's $95 million loss. Highlights from the quarter were the sales of Madden NFL 09(4.5 million sold), Spore (2 million sold) and Warhammer Online (1.2 million sold).

Unfortunately, EA's continuing hard times will impact its employees. The company plans to let go of 6% of its work force, which amounts to about 600 jobs. The next two quarters are when EA normally really starts bringing in the cash -- not that it'll mean much to those who'll be unemployed soon.

Note the Q1 loss of $95 million as well.  Stock did go up after that Q3 call, but as you can see EA is not doing that well.  There's some rumors of them being bought by some larger company, but nothing serious yet.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ i meant in term of their new more ambitious games.  Obviously they're not doing the best ever, we're in a recession.

Centurion11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Centurion11

What are you on about?

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
SmugDarkLoser said:
Activision = EA in 2000ishYou love them now, but you'll hate them soon enough. It'll become stale.  Agree?  Disagree?  I ... [more]
Wasn't that SNK up until their more recent King of Fighters? Or just plain old Capcom?
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmugDarkLoser said:
^ i meant in term of their new more ambitious games.  Obviously they're not doing the best ever, we're in ... [more]
Your evil company is doing pretty well in the recession according to their May 7, 2009 report:

Activision revenues $981 million in Q1 2009

Reporting earnings for the first quarter of 2009, Activision has announced that its revenues were $981 million. Revenues exceeded the company's estimates, which it had placed at $860 million. CEO Robert Kotick, unsurprisingly, names the Guitar Hero and Call of Duty franchises, along with World of Warcraft, as major drivers of the company's impressive numbers. He added that Activision Blizzard was the number one third-party publisher of both console and handheld titles in North America for the quarter, as well as the number one third-party publisher for the Wii worldwide.

Kotick noted that Activision plans to deliver its "strongest video game slate" this year, built upon "some of the industry's most profitable franchises." But then, we alreadyknew that.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

^ Oh, I know.  But they'd be doing better if we weren't.  What I'm saying is that the creative venture EA is taking isn't exactly doing poorly.  Mirror's Edge and Dead Space, which are what we're talking about, sold quite well.

I realize that milking franchises for all their worth will get you money.  I also realize that when these games become monotonous no one cares about them anymore.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SmugDarkLoser said:
^ Oh, I know.  But they'd be doing better if we weren't.  What I'm saying is that the creative venture ... [more]
"But they'd be doing better if we weren't" Huh? And you said EA is excused for not doing well because we're in a recession... is Activision not in the same recession?

If EA isn't making money and they go out of business, it doesn't matter if we think their games are great.  Things aren't going that well for EA.  If you didn't read what I posted, they are loosing a lot of money.  The company that is "exploiting" their franchises is making money.  Okay, Deadspace and Mirrors Edge sold 1+, that's solid but it's not what Activision is making (World at War sold something like 10 million across all platforms).  People apparently care because they are buying Activisions game.  Maybe it will wear off once they continue to drive these franchises into the ground, but it might not and it'd be too bad to see EA go unrewarded and Activision rewarded.

Hopefully the new Tony Hawk, rumored to cost $120, will be the first big kick in the balls Activision takes and maybe gets them to try something else.  But it will probably, somehow, sell millions and millions of copies, just because that's how things seem to be going.  If I was Activision I'd move quickly to get Nintendo onboard with the new Tony Hawk game.  Then everyone would eat up the stupid plastic peripheral they are pushing.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By the8bitNacho
SmugDarkLoser said:
Hey look, someone listened to ListenUP this week!

Yeah, they put it out there, not you.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Kombat said:
SmugDarkLoser said: Activision = EA in 2000ishYou love them now, but you'll hate them soon enough. It'll become stale.  Agree?  ... [more]
?  
God damn, I did, but I didn't remember hearing this? Ahh... I really just skip around in those.  Kind of boring at times.  This was actually spurred by the Activision-Blizzard liveblog over at gamespot and how activision said they wanted to "exploit" their franchises.
smackcalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By smackcalvin

Activision is a joke. They own a few amazing companies, But everything that leaves there door is crap.