Just wanna get some loot and level up on a console.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Been playing DQ9 a bit recently during breaks between classes and have been enjoying it. Been a while since that classic jrpg itch got scratched. But I've been looking into playing something similar on a console at home, any current gen one would do. But looking around at choices, a lot of jrpgs I've played seem to try to get away from the typical turn based system. Anything I missed, maybe on Wii as I haven't played a game on there for a while?

Right now Dark Souls has been fulfilling my desire for loot and leveling, but I would be interested in something a bit less stressful.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

skyrim?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By BraveToaster

Torchlight

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Three0neFive

Torchlight and Borderlands are the two that popped into my mind first.

Oobir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Oobir

If the requirement for turn-based combat was not so...required, I'd recommend Xenoblade. It is a loot- and leveling-heavy game, and really freaking long to boot if you like doing sidequests (I'm well over 110 hours in and I think I might be in sight of the endgame, though I'm only level 80 and I've seen one monster above level 100). The game is generous when you die, as you will be warped to a nearby checkpoint without any loss of money/equipment/experience. I'm enjoying it, so if you're in a region that sells the game or you're willing to import it, I'd say give it a shot.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By Kyle

I know it's not on current consoles (well, I guess it is if you count virtual console), but I've been playing Chrono Trigger since they announced that it would be the next endurance run, and that's pretty great (obviously.)

Oh, there's also Costume Quest, which is timely because Halloween is right around the corner. Hard to get less stressful or more classic JRPG-ish than that game. There's not a ton of loot, but you do collect and build different costumes, which essentially act as classes.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#7  Edited By Little_Socrates

The number of options on the PS2 is mind-blowing. Do you have one?

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Levius

You have probably already played it but Lost Odyssey is the closest thing to a classic RPG you can get.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By penguindust

Valkyria Chronicles is a turn-based tactical JRPG for the PS3. There isn't too much loot but there is leveling. It's a very good game if you haven't played it yet.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By cinemandrew

@Kyle: Chrono Trigger is on PSN as well.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eidderf

Blue Dragon would probably be the thing to get if you want something similar to DQ9, it's about as traditional as JRPG gets and it even has the same art style as DQ

ABritishNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ABritishNerd
@Three0neFive
Torchlight and Borderlands are the two that popped into my mind first.
Same here, Borderlands can get dull rather fast without the DLC though, so I recommend you get the GOTY edition.
bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By bakumatsu

I heard that Xenoblade Chronicles is pretty good. But you have to import it...

Neferon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Neferon

@Oobir said:

If the requirement for turn-based combat was not so...required, I'd recommend Xenoblade. It is a loot- and leveling-heavy game, and really freaking long to boot if you like doing sidequests (I'm well over 110 hours in and I think I might be in sight of the endgame, though I'm only level 80 and I've seen one monster above level 100). The game is generous when you die, as you will be warped to a nearby checkpoint without any loss of money/equipment/experience. I'm enjoying it, so if you're in a region that sells the game or you're willing to import it, I'd say give it a shot.

I'm gonna second this suggestion. It's certainly among the best recent JRPG's.

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrOldboy

I've played most of the suggestions.

I was looking for something like Chrono Trigger or FF3, but a more modern take on that. I guess jrpgs have sort of moved past that though. Lost Odyssey lost me with the load times among other things, it looked fine from what I played, but just lost me.

From the looks of things, I think my best bet is to look into some more DS rpgs.

PS2 is an option, but was looking for something more current.

Xenoblade always looked...interesting guess. Never touched it, may look into it more.

And western rpgs, Diablo, Torchlight, Oblivion/Skyrim. They have their place, but lack elements that I am looking for that jrpgs contain. Not that I didn't play them and enjoy them.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By Still_I_Cry

This isn't JRPG but Dead Island is great if you're looking for a fun, violent and loot-happy game. (With weapons you can modify)

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By FancySoapsMan
MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MrOldboy

@FancySoapsMan said:

Have you tried Ys Seven and Ys: The Oath in Felghana for PSP? Sounds like what you're looking for.

never played any Ys game. Dont have a PSP. Maybe look at the PC version.

I'm now looking into more DS games to get some jrpg action. I dont really want to replay the FF games. DQ9 has been fine, although I am getting a bit bored of it.

Also might throw Xenogears in, bought it used a while ago and never really played it past the first hour or so.