#1 Posted by Vinny_Says (5687 posts) -

So it's a forced install for every game now but there aren't any codes like PC games have (used to have)?

Streaming a game off the disc is a thing of the past from this point on correct? (Except WiiU maybe?)

#2 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

yeah, bluray transfer rates probably aren't high enough for most gfx intensive games. So yes, lots of data will need to be cached to HD.

#3 Posted by Tom_omb (337 posts) -

I think that's the case for the Xone, but it's a case by case thing for the PS4.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10484 posts) -

Not all PS4 games have to install. It says on the back of each how much space is required. For example, my friend bought Madden, which only required about 16 MB of space.

#5 Posted by Ares42 (2577 posts) -

Well, considering the size of install of some games it seems it's up to the developer. On the gamespot stream they pointed out that Let's Dance basically had no install at all, so it must've still mostly played off the disc.

#6 Posted by RonGalaxy (2873 posts) -

So it's a forced install for every game now but there aren't any codes like PC games have (used to have)?

Streaming a game off the disc is a thing of the past from this point on correct? (Except WiiU maybe?)

Think of it like GTAV having to download a portion of the game to the HDD, but still requiring a disc. It combines reading the disc and reading the HDD to give better performance at a lower cost to sony. They could choose to put in a killer fast HDD or Disc drive, but it would increase production costs. The console is going to have both of those things anyway, so combing them into the same input is completely logical. Now it's easier for devs to do it, as it's an OS level thing

#7 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@vinny_says said:

As soon as you put the disc into the system a bar begins filling up and it installs. It's kind of awesome.

I just used the stopwatch on my phone to time the Need For Speed install time. It took 28 seconds and installed 16 GB of data.

#8 Edited by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

The fact the games are ready to play so quickly makes this pretty much a non-issue. I wouldn't worry about it.

#9 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

@stingingvelvet: I might've asked this before, but are you the same user over at GOG? If so, I just want to say you are a treasure to that community, very level-headed and, well...not crazy.

#10 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5242 posts) -

I've been really happy with the fast install/download times on the Ps4 so far. It's a pretty big step up from it's predecessor and rightfully so.

#11 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

@greggd: Hahaha... they are kind of crazy aren't they? I do what I can.

Probably be posting here more often because I've recently focused on console gaming a lot more, due to some wrist trouble.

#12 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

@greggd: Hahaha... they are kind of crazy aren't they? I do what I can.

Probably be posting here more often because I've recently focused on console gaming a lot more, due to some wrist trouble.

Oh boy, that makes us opposites. I'm building a new rig at the end of the month...but yeah, console gaming is pretty fun, if you know what to look for. Also, for what it's worth, I'm one of the very few who was satisfied with my Kinect. :P