#1 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

#2 Posted by NTM (7266 posts) -

Whoops, I guess I should have put a "I haven't played either of them" or what have you. I've only played Gears of War 3, and I was just wondering how Uncharted 3's campaign compares to it. I want Uncharted 3, but I don't know.

#3 Edited by believer258 (11635 posts) -

I voted Gears 3, but every time I put it back in to play it some more I just... bleh. That word describes everything about it. I loved the first two, and I beat them over and over. Maybe I was just burned out by the time of Gears 3, but I don't remember it so fondly. I remember just kind of blasting through it twice and then staring at the end screen like "All right! Time to play something else", unlike the first two where I was looking back fondly upon all the gory, badly-written happenings of those games.

Uncharted 3 looks like more Uncharted 2, which mean cool set pieces but just OK level design and enemies, and a constant feeling of low ammo and wondering why the fuck this mook won't die after two pistol clips to the gut.

Really, I don't think too highly of either game. I certainly don't think they're bad games but neither is hardly representative of what I might call a fantastic game. They're both too focused on showing you a good time instead of letting you have it yourself, only funneling you from place to place so they can show you their next big moment where you don't do much of anything yourself.

In short, I'd rather go eat a sandwich and watch a cheesy action movie.

#4 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

I voted Gears 3 because fuck that game is so damn good in every way.

#5 Posted by Raven10 (1727 posts) -

I voted Gears 3 because it is good all the way through. Uncharted 3 has an average beginning, terrible middle, and brilliant ending. If you just count the final four or five levels (Starting with the ship) I think it is one of the best games in history. The remaining portions of the game, though, are not really all that great. I don't think any part of Gears 3 counts as one of the best games in history but it is solid throughout. So you have to choose between a game that is all around good or a game that is sometimes brilliant and sometimes pretty bad.

#6 Posted by Jeust (10477 posts) -

Uncharted 3 is a solid game throughout. The scenarios were in my opinion the best ones in the series and it has some cool set pieces. The story is contrived, with some poor explained twists. There are no extras, like infinite ammo, filters, or skins. In the end I loved the game, and it is for me a great entry in the franchise. Although I can't compare it with Gears of War 3 as I haven't played it.

#7 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I liked the beginning of Uncharted 3 was excellent, but after numerous plotholes and difficulty spikes I couldn't handle it anymore. I ended up just sucking it up and beating the game, but I was not happy.

I guess Gears 3 wins by default, but it's not really saying much.

#8 Posted by MightyDuck (1502 posts) -

I enjoyed Uncharted 1 and 2 much more than 3. The traversing and story was enjoyable but I was so fed up by the end of the game with the gun play and enemies,

#9 Posted by TheHT (10887 posts) -

I like Uncharted 3 story for the idea of what it was supposed to be. So, I guess, go for Gears?

If they only could've worked out scheduling and got the original story in, with more Cutter in and all. No fruitless 'foreshadowing', no disjunction between acts, no lack of emotional payoff (probably). Ah well. I'd pay for a director's cut if the changes were actually significant.

#10 Posted by TheFreeMan (2712 posts) -

Gears 3 has a great campaign, my favourite in the series. Lots of good design, and cool moments and it actually made me care for the characters. That being said, I think I gotta go with Uncharted 3. I think overall I might like Uncharted 2 more (the shooting was better, more responsive and thugs didn't take so many shots to go down), but Uncharted 3 is still ridiculously good (in my opinion). I love the new melee combat, the setpieces are really cool, and it had some good emotional moments. I do wish that some of the gunfights were a little bit better designed and that the whole ocean liner segment actually meant something, but hey, it was a fun ride.

#11 Posted by Turkalurch (198 posts) -

For me, Gears 3 seemed like more of a chore at times compared to Uncharted 3. I actually enjoyed Uncharted 3's story a little more than Gears 3's.

I also finished Gears 1 and 2 and never finished Uncharted 1 or 2. So I had more invested in Gears than Uncharted at the time. Kinda weird how that turned out for me heh.

#12 Edited by Red (5994 posts) -

I didn't play Gears of War 3, but, having played through most of Gears of War 2, I can guarantee I like Uncharted 3's campaign better. I'll take bright treasure hunting and platforming over gray alien invasions and clunky movement any day.

#13 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

Haven't played Uncharted 3, but Uncharted 2 shat bricks all over anything Gears of War has ever done.

#14 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

Uncharted 3 kind of loses itself in its plot but is still superior to Gears

#15 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

@HistoryInRust said:

Haven't played Uncharted 3, but Uncharted 2 shat bricks all over anything Gears of War has ever done.

apart from the gameplay of course. gears has always been a better 'shooter' than uncharted. uncharted has the better cut scenes and story but gears has the better game play. imo of course

#16 Posted by ProfessorEss (7281 posts) -

I voted that I loved both but if I had had to pick one or the other I would've went with Gears purely because of the awesome full-campaign co-op.

#17 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@NTM said:

Whoops, I guess I should have put a "I haven't played either of them" or what have you. I've only played Gears of War 3, and I was just wondering how Uncharted 3's campaign compares to it. I want Uncharted 3, but I don't know.

Comparing Uncharted and Gears?

Um, besides a cover mechanic, they're pretty dissimilar.

Edit: With that in mind, Uncharted 2 is incredible and 3 is a huge disappointment. I've only played Gears 1 and 2, and while I enjoyed them for the solid gun-mechanics, there isn't much else worth talking about.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (21254 posts) -

I didn't like Uncharted 3's campaign, whereas Gears 3 had an awesome one if only for the virtue of playing it all in coop. But it was pretty good regardless, even if the submarine and end boss segments were kinda bad.

#19 Posted by Jimbo (9772 posts) -

Got bored halfway through Gears 2 and Uncharted 2 and didn't finish either.  Good first games in both franchises though.

#20 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

Only played Uncharted 3. It's excellent.

#21 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Meh.

#22 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

They're both terrific to play, but I vastly enjoy the characters and the world of Uncharted than I do of Gears.

#23 Posted by GunstarRed (5027 posts) -

I think Gears 3 is one of the best games this generation. Great pacing, emotional and nearly all of it is gameplay. Uncharted 3, while being one of the best games of last year just didn't feel as good as UC2. Horrid difficulty spikes, strange pacing and an over reliance on spectacle... the horsey bit was really, really cool though.

#24 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Uncharted 3 for me.

#25 Posted by wewantsthering (1551 posts) -

I hated Gears 3. Can't stand the characters.