#1 Posted by bolognarock (203 posts) -

Is Giantbomb's Justin.tv channel locked now? I wanted to watch last week's TNT, but I was presented with this message when trying to head to their channel: "Private channel If you'd like to watch, send the broadcaster a message, and ask for their channel's access code." Below this, it lets you enter the access code.

http://www.justin.tv/giantbomb/videos

#2 Posted by JeanLuc (3810 posts) -

They are doing something Live right now. Maybe that's why.

#3 Posted by rawrsair (836 posts) -

I also got that earlier but presumed it was just temporary

#4 Posted by alternate (2797 posts) -

They showed a debut trailer a bit ago. Likely the devs want to be the first to upload a nice HD version to the youtubes - rather than a kid posting one culled from the JTV stream.

I suspect normal service to resume soon-ish (if not they owe us freeloaders access to the TNT archives).

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (7022 posts) -
@alternate yah they owe you
#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (12056 posts) -

I hope it's not a permanent thing.

#7 Posted by xatmos (94 posts) -

Wow, just yesterday on a whim I downloaded everything from the j.tv channel that isn't archived on the site here.

#8 Edited by alternate (2797 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

When they say - TNT site archive is members only, free members can always watch it on JustinTV - then yeah, I hold them to that.

Not worth debating until if/when it becomes permanent (unlikely).

#9 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6288 posts) -

It's a permanent thing because they set their Twitch.tv options to private so they can have the archives as premium content here. Being how they encode their own videos for the best quality, it wouldn't matter if it's on Twitch.

Subscribe even if it's the monthly option and get the bonus videos.

#10 Posted by animathias (1226 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut said:

It's a permanent thing because they set their Twitch.tv options to private so they can have the archives as premium content here. Being how they encode their own videos for the best quality, it wouldn't matter if it's on Twitch.

That doesn't make much sense. I remember Dave saying that we would get the nice HD versions and could download them while non-subscribers would be able to watch the archives on Justin.tv. The quality there never comes close to what we get onsite.

It would also be a shame to lose all the TNTs that aren't archived, alongside things like last year's Holiday Party.

#11 Posted by Dany (8018 posts) -

@ThePhantomnaut said:

Are you just speculating or do you have a link to something?

#12 Posted by NickL (2262 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

What's with subscribers being assholes lately?

Anyways, it is probably a mistake or for the debut trailer reasons.

They have the whiskeymedia jtv channel that they use when it is something to be locked behind a subscriber wall...

#13 Posted by NickL (2262 posts) -

@Dany said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

My guess is he is speculating. Seems pointless to lock up the giantbomb JTV channel, they already have justin.tv/whiskeymedia for that.

#14 Edited by ThePhantomnaut (6288 posts) -

@Dany said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

Speculation.

@animathias said:

@ThePhantomnaut said:

That doesn't make much sense. I remember Dave saying that we would get the nice HD versions and could download them while non-subscribers would be able to watch the archives on Justin.tv. The quality there never comes close to what we get onsite.

It would also be a shame to lose all the TNTs that aren't archived, alongside things like last year's Holiday Party.

Well they will have to work more directly on what can be done on the Giant Bomb Twitch.tv channel and the Whiskey Media Justin.tv channel. If it's private, no one can't watch anything. They need to make use of Twitch/Justin's options on archives. I guess they want to implement it to the websites like how YouTube is so the feature might come eventually.

Personally, I think they should upload them to YouTube ASAP. Since the Giant Bomb YouTube channel is a partners account, they can upload their TNT encode instead of the stream archive. Downloading other events from Twitch archives and uploading them to YouTube isn't that hard. If they want everyone to see TNT or other events, they can make a new video category on the Giant Bomb site while still have a subscriber channel dedicated to the Q&As and other special videos.

#15 Posted by BobTheFork (25 posts) -

I just noticed this. If its not a temp thing, then I don't see how they can keep the code private for too long. I hope it's just about the exclusive reveal and if will go back soon.

#16 Posted by natetodamax (19421 posts) -

I noticed that today. It was weird, because I was on the account looking through archives like, 1-2 days ago.