Keeping it New with Innovation (Ultimate Game Part 2)

Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Scientist

No Caption Provided

If you've grown up playing video games for about 10 years at least you've probably played 50 WWII games, 30 Sim-type games, 25 Pokemon games, 23 Mega Man games and 34 Mario games. I enjoy storming the beaches of or playing every sport known to man with Mario and friends, as much as the next guy, but after awhile it gets bland and you need something new.

Innovations, keeping things fresh in the game is one of the most important factors in making a game. You can make the coolest WWII game ever with sweet graphics and explosion effects but it's been done before and chances are some people won't even check it out if the game brings nothing new to the large WWII franchise of games. You can make Mario Badminton but if it's like Mario Tennis it's not going to attract many players.

Nintendo has  always strived to be innovative in their games from the motion control Wii to the touch screen of the Nintendo DS and sure enough Nintendo dominates the sales charts by bringing something new to the table and not just extra buttons on a controller. Nintendo was the first to add the Rumble Pack and now rumble features are built into every controller because it adds that much more depth and innovation to the game.  

Innovation is important to keep the interest of the players and isn't just another mindless shooter or adventure run-around game. Let's see something new in Barbie Horse Adventure 3, who knows, more than 1 person might play it.

Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Scientist

No Caption Provided

If you've grown up playing video games for about 10 years at least you've probably played 50 WWII games, 30 Sim-type games, 25 Pokemon games, 23 Mega Man games and 34 Mario games. I enjoy storming the beaches of or playing every sport known to man with Mario and friends, as much as the next guy, but after awhile it gets bland and you need something new.

Innovations, keeping things fresh in the game is one of the most important factors in making a game. You can make the coolest WWII game ever with sweet graphics and explosion effects but it's been done before and chances are some people won't even check it out if the game brings nothing new to the large WWII franchise of games. You can make Mario Badminton but if it's like Mario Tennis it's not going to attract many players.

Nintendo has  always strived to be innovative in their games from the motion control Wii to the touch screen of the Nintendo DS and sure enough Nintendo dominates the sales charts by bringing something new to the table and not just extra buttons on a controller. Nintendo was the first to add the Rumble Pack and now rumble features are built into every controller because it adds that much more depth and innovation to the game.  

Innovation is important to keep the interest of the players and isn't just another mindless shooter or adventure run-around game. Let's see something new in Barbie Horse Adventure 3, who knows, more than 1 person might play it.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By angelkanarias

I agree with you that they are innovative, but I also consider graphics an important part of the gameplay.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#3  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I'm not sure if innovation can necessarily make a successful game.  Too many disperate and sometimes competing factors contribute to that.  I will say though, that innovation is what makes a game important and memorable, because without innovation you're simply cashing in on repeated themes and ideas.  Even if you use elements that have come before, the important thing is to try something new with them.  That's the way you make an impact on the conversation that is the design of games.  Even if it's unsuccessful, it will likely still be noticed by the right people, and they can, in turn, build off of what you've done, continuing that conversation between designers and players.