@CABBAGES: I didn't think of that how true

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By kpaadet

"We’ve seen a brain drain: some of the best, most creative gamemakers are focused on mobile and social games because those platforms are more developer-friendly."

Who are these developers? As far as I'm concern the best developers still make games for consoles/PC.

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

Isn't the PC an open platform that lets devs make games cheaply?

But they want you to play on your TV man!

smitty86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By smitty86

Maybe it is just my ignorance but I really have no clue what the appeal is for this. A console that will let me play phone games, or at best indie games that i would get off stream for $2-$5? Why would I want to put that on my HDTV or want a whole collection of them when much of them will likely be waves the caliber of XBL Indie games? But whatever, people want to throw their money at this thing, I can't stop them.

Also, I love that the $10,000 backing (of which their are 3) is "The entire first production run of consoles will have YOUR USERNAME and BACKER NUMBER ENGRAVED INTO IT." Enjoy having xxBongSmoker420xx on the back of your console.

....joking of course.....but secretly hoping.......

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By gbrading

1GB of RAM? Sounds small compared to a PC, but then I realized the 360 has only 512MB of RAM.

Good for them if they can make it work, but I can fully imagine it becoming another Phantom...

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By AuthenticM

I sincerely hope success for this product.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#56  Edited By Pop

I don't know why I don't like this, it's probably all the talk that everything is on phones now and this quote "most creative gamemakers are focused on mobile and social games because those platforms are more developer-friendly." I'm like what? those are mostly casual games, I don't want to play those on a TV, heck I don't want to play those at all. But it's too early to hate on it cause it's not out yet, I am glad that someone is making a new console and I hope it will have great games on it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#57  Edited By AndrewB

Not so much a *crazy* naysayer, but I really have to see the games up front before I buy new hardware. I just don't want or need another box sitting around that can play the exact same games I'm already playing on my PC or games that were built for a portable device that now aren't being used on a portable device, regardless of how cheap it is or how pretty it looks. I love building my own stuff, even if it would end up costing more.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By galacticgravy

Good to see that not everyone is a cynical, life-hating goblin.

DrFat32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DrFat32

@Stubee said:

@iAmJohn said:

I'm just throwing it out there: this is a terrible idea for a console and the people who have made this succeed are bad people.

Did you write that comment on your iPhone?

Nice.

Not everyone hates android (I for one wont go near Apple) and this looks like a good thing to mix up the console market.

CharlesSahara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By CharlesSahara

I have a gaming PC and a laptop that I both use on my TV. The Ouya is not for me. Also, just my opinion, the controller looks like shit and Android sucks.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By 234r2we232

Still. Makes more sense than the Vita.

anzejk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By anzejk

@TakenByTrees: You are aware that JellyBean is ICS 4.1 and is in fact runing on ICS, right?

Talis12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Talis12

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

this.. + pc can be hooked up to tv too.. i know, its mind boggling!

Sylinder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By Sylinder

Balls!

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#66  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Say "television" one more fucking time.

hagridore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#67  Edited By hagridore

Al Pachino is pleased. And angry.

DrFat32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By DrFat32

@Sweep: eh.......television.... do I get a prize?

phatcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#69  Edited By phatcat

105 people are buying the 699 version of the developer console.

Either there are alot of "crazy people" or there is some developer interest.

More competition in this space is better! Now developers can make both iphone, android and OUYA games! I see this as a good thing for the industry! :D

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#70  Edited By shinboy630

At the very least this hopefully will lead to some better android games for my phone, cause one would think that if this thing succeeds that devs will look at android as a great platform to makes games for.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By BraveToaster

If there are a ton of good games, I would definitely buy this. My fear is that the majority of the games developed for this console will be poorly-made titles and mobile phone clones. I'm just sick of reading about promises of video game revolutions that end up falling well short of what is advertised.

Tetharion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#72  Edited By Tetharion

HDMI-out, android, hackable, wifi, small, even comes with a controller... yep, I'm going to buy that instead of an appletv :)

Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#73  Edited By Sergotron

To early to tell, but I will keep my eyes peeled on this one.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Patman99

I dont understand the appeal of this. Is it just a really cheap console that hooks up to your TV and lets you play mobile games (and Minecraft). If this would be a new feature on the Xbox or PS3, then I might be excited but the idea that it is yet another plastic box that I have to hook up to my TV is not a prospect I want to entertain. But then again, maybe I am missing the point.

demarcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By demarcon

For $100, why the fuck not. If the thing comes out and doesn't take off I have a relic of failed tech memorabilia to go along with a jaguar and virtual boy.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#76  Edited By mrbubbles

i don't know about this the specs aren't that great for it 1gig of ram isn't great my current phone has over twice that (my old phone had over 1 gig and was slow and had a hard time running games that looked worse than the ones mentioned) and my current phone also has twice the storage too.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By UnrealDP

@felakuti4life said:

Oh! The Android platform!

No Caption Provided

Yeah, but the crazy open console thing seems pretty cool! Here's to the possibility of Android being uncharacteristically not shit!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#78  Edited By Jackel2072

@Sweep said:

Say "television" one more fucking time.

i was thinking the same thing.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Lukeweizer

While I like the idea of someone taking it upon themselves to provide an open source console to rival the big 3, I feel like it's just going to cultivate to a million top-down zombie shooters, Pokemon rip-offs and other crap that's filled the iOS App Store (can't speak for the Android app store as I've never actually been in it).

Emperor_Jimmu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Emperor_Jimmu

@kpaadet said:

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

That is a good point. If only my PC had a HDM... I... oh, it does have a HDMI port. I'm not sure who it is that wants to play games on their TV but are dissatisfied with PC/console games. She is very excited about televisions.

WJist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#81  Edited By WJist

This thing screams Marketing pitch right now. Wait and see folks.

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By cloudyimpulse

Seems to be a lot of hate on this thing, and that's unfortunate to hear.

But I'm curious, if Google worked with the guys who ported the Bastion, couldn't they theoretically get it to work on this type of system? Wouldn't it be nice to start seeing those type of games on this $99 machine? And like other people have mentioned, this will be great for people learning to get into programming, and obviously you can customize this machine to do whatever you want. Be it a streaming device or whatever else.

Just my two cents.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By galacticgravy

@Xtrminatr: We are on the same page, man.

churrific

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By churrific

Wow immediate shit talking about this? Hey if it's got some good games, I'd be interested.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#85  Edited By kagato

@FuriousJodo said:

@iAmJohn said:

I'm just throwing it out there: this is a terrible idea for a console and the people who have made this succeed are bad people.

I mean, forget how awful Android is as a platform in general with its general lack of standards for everything including apps and compatibility across versions, they're launching this thing on Ice Cream Sandwich? That makes a lot of sense - use an Android base that only 10% of Android users even use with Jelly Bean coming out really soon. Great thinking there guys; that's not going to worsen the market fragmentation issue at all!

Yeah I don't understand why people are freaking out about it. It's essentially an Android phone you plug into your TV. I really don't see it being very successful, it's not like you're going to be playing the new Assassin's Creed on this or anything.

Actually you kind of could with the OnLive app, it works on all my android devices including my ICS phone and i can play all of the current Assassins Creed games on there just now. Its not going to be as clean or as sharp as a proper console version, but people really shouldnt write it off just yet.

HonkeyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By HonkeyKong

Im actually really excited for this!

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By MarkWahlberg

Well this certainly won't end in tears, frustration and/or lawsuits.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By AndrewB

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

@kpaadet said:

@Emperor_Jimmu said:

That is a good point. If only my PC had a HDM... I... oh, it does have a HDMI port. I'm not sure who it is that wants to play games on their TV but are dissatisfied with PC/console games. She is very excited about televisions.

If she was a man, she'd say balls. So much like Peter Molyneux.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WJist said:

This thing screams Marketing pitch right now. Wait and see folks.

This goes for the shit talking side as well, of course. 
Astalder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Astalder

If the console delivers then the competition would be good for the entrenched behemoths that are Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. I wish them luck.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#91  Edited By hockeymask27

Still not sure what this is? Is it just going to be celllphone games or what?. I guess it could become to the go to place for Indy games.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#92  Edited By FLStyle

I'll keep an eye on this, may or may not turn out to be worth buying.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By coaxmetal

Naw its still a big question of if. Just cuz they got funding doesn't mean they are going to make a thing. And it will suck anyway.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By tim_the_corsair

hey guys, ever wanted to play easily emulated games on your TV for basically no money, while also having access to an app marketplace and the Internet?

No?

Then this probably isn't aimed at you.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#95  Edited By megalowho

Seems like an interesting proposition for both the mobile audience looking to get a living room gaming experience for cheap and the CFW/homebrew scene. Not usually two paths that diverge very often.

I don't have a need for this or even much of a want, but it's certainly an interesting project. Like a Roku, but focused on gaming over streaming. Will keep an eye out for updates.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

The OOH YEAH?

Alo81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#97  Edited By Alo81

@iAmJohn said:

I mean, forget how awful Android is as a platform in general with its general lack of standards for everything including apps and compatibility across versions, they're launching this thing on Ice Cream Sandwich? That makes a lot of sense - use an Android base that only 10% of Android users even use with Jelly Bean coming out really soon. Great thinking there guys; that's not going to worsen the market fragmentation issue at all!

Dumb. I don't expect parity between my console and my phone. You clearly don't use Android otherwise you'd recognize how ridiculous you seem.

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Skywarpgold
Mr_JPeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Mr_JPeps

My biggest question so far is if all the games a free to play and people are dubbing this the "indie machine" or "the developers console of choice" how can that be so? If all a player or consumer pays for upfront is the box and all the games are free then how am "I" the "developer" paid? Are their ad's like crazy? People also don't seem to remember that there are some malicious apps out on the Android store as well. If my billing info is going to be on this box, or on this server, and its open source and people can make whatever they want and publish it to the service without any curating process and people are being told to hack the thing. whats stopping someone from publishing an app designed to steal whatever info is stored on the box or the server, or designed to over heat the machine and kill it?

I'm all for change, and throwing a wrench in the gears of the big 3 does put a smile on my face, but there are just still to many unanswered questions, and i wish people would take a moment and think about what they are being told and how this works before throwing money and praise from every direction.

mbr2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By mbr2

I love all the kiddies ITT spewing shit out their asses like they've somehow got their hands on this. Y'all probably the same cunts who blindly hates games they've never played.