Kim Kardashian Game Made $100 Million in Its First 5 Months

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Ericjasonwade

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/17/dice-2016-kim-kardashian-game-made-100-million-in-its-first-5-months

Didn't see this posted anywhere so I'll leave this here.

PS-

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

tromboneman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where did that money go? Kanye said that he was 53 million in debt.

Beyond_Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Beyond_Recall

We made a million a minute, we made a million a minute.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just disappointed because this makes me think that Micro-transactions are going to be very prominent in the future of games (even more than they are now), if not THE future of games.

Why bother making an awesome AAA game if people will just get a "free-to-play" phone game that costs significantly less money to make, which also gets millions of dollars of revenue?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Good for them. But I feel like these stories are always one in a million. Others with be successful but not like that. Can't wait for kanye's game

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

Before everyone goes all doom and gloom, don't forget that a lot of smart people have a lot of passion for video games. Even if huge AAA video games stop, people will still get together and make great (microtransactionless) games and sell them.

Also, phone games have been doing things like this for years now and this one is a fringe case. Most don't make this kind of money.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The part that makes me cry the most is the Kim Kardashian part. I mean, unfortunately, whether you agree or not, this woman is a role model for a lot of our generation. Basically meaning being a spoiled brat and making a sex tape is just part of being successful. I really really just can't understand why the hell anyone would care what anyone from that family is doing.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really really just can't understand why the hell anyone would care what anyone from that family is doing.

When you figure that out, you should make a Free to play mobile game about it and fill it with microtransactions and make 100 million.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

wow,,, Hundred million bucks

I gotta say, I'm honestly pretty excited for their upcoming Gordon Ramsay game if it's got relatively high budget thanks to this

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Good for her. From what I've heard that game actually has pretty fun mechanics.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nightriff: I agree. I was going through the appshopper app and counted just over 400 games released on the itunes app store in a one week period. These are completely made up assumptions, but I would be surprised if twenty of those games even made their money back, and I imagine that relatively few of those games make a lot of money, and even fewer of those make the million dollars a day this did.

None_Braver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

American's are horrible.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

anyone wants to buy some emoticons starring my cats? They might wear a kim kardashian shirt at some point.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Where did that money go? Kanye said that he was 53 million in debt.

He's what they call in the industry "a whale" and he loves this game.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Grimluck343

It's almost like name recognition leads to more sales! Get that money Kanye!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for them. I tried the game, but didn't get far enough in to really have a solid thought on it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By mordukai

@ericjasonwade: And the Transformers movies keep making money hand over fist even though they are one of the worse movies ever put to film, or data.

My point is that just because something shitty made a lot money doesn't mean it's any good. It mostly means that a lot of people just have really bad taste.

That's just my opinion though.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The part that makes me cry the most is the Kim Kardashian part. I mean, unfortunately, whether you agree or not, this woman is a role model for a lot of our generation. Basically meaning being a spoiled brat and making a sex tape is just part of being successful. I really really just can't understand why the hell anyone would care what anyone from that family is doing.

Were you around for the years of Paris Hilton hype and hysteria? This is it for a younger generation, but more terrible. Hilton wasn't idolized, no girls wanted to be like that when they grew up, Hilton thought people were laughing with her but everybody were laughing at her even in her TV show. Decline of mankind.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Is this surprising? Do we care?

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people are really really dumb.

Also, they(as in the Kartrashians) are a coven of witches and they are indoctrinating our youth. Kill them with fire, tbh..

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:
@ericjasonwade said:

Were you around for the years of Paris Hilton hype and hysteria? This is it for a younger generation, but more terrible. Hilton wasn't idolized, no girls wanted to be like that when they grew up, Hilton thought people were laughing with her but everybody were laughing at her even in her TV show. Decline of mankind.

But she did get her shit together, market her beauty products correctly, and now is worth $100 million. You might not like these people, but they put in the work to turn a profit, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Milkman

Good for her. There's no one better at marketing their fame, no need to be so angry about it.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: You are so right milkman, it is amazing to me that people "hate" these women so much. There's really nothing that bad about them, they are basically just rich and on TV..so I guess most people are jealous. They aren't bad people, they aren't criminals, they've done nothing to hurt other people. I've met plenty of people (normal, basically good people) whose personalities are no different than "The Kardashians" and if they were on TV every day I'm sure people would say the same horrible stuff. These are human beings that do not deserve to be treated like trash.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the IOS version of kim kardashian sold 10,000,000 units in five months at 10 bucks a pop that's 100 million bucks

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Guys, why hasn't anyone made a Jeff Goldblum IOS game yet?

I mean, an officially licensed Jeff Goldblum-based game on IOS or Android.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, it's one of the best massively multiplayer roguelike fighting games on the market.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@somejerk said:
@ericjasonwade said:

But she did get her shit together, market her beauty products correctly, and now is worth $100 million. You might not like these people, but they put in the work to turn a profit, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Actually, she always had her shit together. She just played dumb for the cameras and everyone bought it. Check out this great VICE interview. I have no doubt the Kardashians are just as calculating in their antics.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@random45: I am sure others have said it, but for every game that gets this kind of success there are thousands more that don't. Just look at all the f2p trash on phones.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Homelessbird

@none_braver said:

American's are horrible.

We're the worst. But you'd convey that a little more clearly if you'd omit the unnecessary apostrophe.

Also man, some weird debate in this here thread. Yeah, the Kardashians have "put in some work," so to speak, but let me tell you - that's pretty easily done when you're surrounded by an army of assistants, producers, and image consultants. I'm sure they're not idiots, but I wouldn't hold them in any particular regard. They got lucky, paid the right people, and sold the image of their lives for cash - the idea that any of the Kardashians individually are responsible for marketing themselves (other than signing the checks) is naive to the extreme.

Whether or not their lifestyle is reprehensible on the face of it, I'd say it's DEFINITELY not the stuff of good role models. Value stuff aside, the odds of anyone successfully following the Kardashian path to fame and fortune is essentially nil. That's the part of their story that I hope people don't try to emulate.

People hate them because they represent a number of things about modern American culture they may not necessarily like. And yeah, that's probably not "fair" to them, but I guarantee you they don't spend a lot of time worrying about what people think. They're far too busy taking baths in caviar. I don't particularly like them, but hey, that's how I feel about almost everyone who is rich and/or famous, for a variety of reasons that aren't Kardashian-specific.

Not that any of this has much to do with the game, which is just a smart micro-transaction honey pot. And that's a whole 'nother kettle of, uh... honey.

TrinketNPinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@none_braver said:

American's are horrible.

They got lucky.

What's even worse is that they maintain that luck thanks to people who won't shut up about them. Even here, on a darn gaming forum, all we hear is KardashiansKardashiansKardashians! Just stop talking about those abominations, and they'll be gone.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

As H.L. Mencken once said, nobody ever went broke by underestimating the taste of the American public.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kim Kardashian: Bread winner.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I lost all faith in Humanity a long time ago so I'm not surprised I mean god look who is winning the elections yeah we're fucked.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BradBrains

Kim is a very smart woman and knows exactly how to brand herself. People basically hate her because of that at this point.

much like patrick I played and enjoyed the game for a few hours but didnt put any money in it. though you could see how people easily could.

its fine. its probably better than game of war or whatever.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

free to play mechanics, meh.

Actually, how much you want to bet the crew gets paid very little? It was been revealed the developer just lifted the game mechanics from another game they made Stardom?

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By newmoneytrash

hey. this isn't a bad thing

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BradBrains

@crithon said:

Actually, how much you want to bet the crew gets paid very little? It was been revealed the developer just lifted the game mechanics from another game they made Stardom?

yup. and it sold like shit. the game is basically the exact same exact with kim at the start. Im not saying they shouldnt get paid but its kim that sold that game and them having the same game without her proved it

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@crithon said:

yup. and it sold like shit. the game is basically the exact same exact with kim at the start. Im not saying they should get paid but its kim that sold that game and them having the same game without her proved it

well, I don't mean exactly exploiting their employees, but more curious about the budget on a game like this. Just going through Glu Mobile games listing they only have what appears to be 5 or 6 of these types of game and then re-branded with a big name star that would appeal to a broad audience.

Right now, Marvel Avengers Academy is somewhat in this same game design but instead of flat illustration art they put in a lot of work into the 3d graphics and named voice actors. The game is kinda terrible, it'd cost me maybe 6 bucks to unlock John Cena's teenage Hulk character instead of actually playing the game which would take maybe something a month of grinding. I think there would be more activities to do in the Kim Kardasian's Hollywood then actually playing a weird Sims-like Teenage Marvel with only 1 actual teenager from the comics. Considering that Marvel doesn't release movie tie in games any more and it looks like Tiny co put a lot of work into this game and Marvel put in money into something that's not going compete with the Kim Kardasian video game. Unless they make more teenage classic marvel characters. I'm tempted to see teenage Taskmaster which is in this game.