• 78 results
#51 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Subjugation said:

Do people legitimately think it is cock, or is it a bad attempt at a joke? I can't tell with you guys.

well, cock is technically closer than coke is... neither are right, but coke is definitely the least correct way of saying it.

#52 Edited by JamesJeux007 (500 posts) -

I like cock.

But it's pronounced something like "Korgh" I think.

#53 Posted by JaredA (830 posts) -

@nohthink said:

I thought it was like coach....

Same here.

#54 Posted by videogamesarenotart (121 posts) -

took 5 seconds to put koch media into wiki and its german site. so its german pronunciation

#55 Posted by sub_o (913 posts) -

It's initially based in Munich and Austria. So it's pronounced as Kohch

http://translate.google.com/#de/en/Koch

Click on the 'say' button

#56 Posted by Pepsiman (2491 posts) -

In this thread, we learn that the devil invented phonics for Western languages.

#57 Posted by captain_max707 (494 posts) -

I fall into the "cotch" school of thought. The H&K example has been brought up quite a bit, and that's what I first thought of when I saw the word.

#58 Edited by BlackAlpha (5 posts) -

Let's not reinvent the wheel:

#59 Edited by Mongoose (218 posts) -

I'm Scottish and this has never been a difficult pronunciation for me. It rhymes with loch. And that's not lock, the "ch" is a throaty gutteral sound. Think someone had the fancy name of it on the 2nd page.

It's like that presenter on NPR Planet money, Chana jaffe-Walt. She said once that so many people butcher her name, she just accepts either Hannah or Kana, where-as it should be pronounced with the afore-mentioned "Loch" sound.

Edit - term is voiceless velar fricative - thanks original poster.

#60 Posted by Anund (940 posts) -

@BillyTheKid said:

I always pronounced it the same as the Heckler and Koch line of guns. So kind of like coke with a really reserved h too it.

This is a little funny. Take as example a company name you mispronounce and use the same mispronunciation on another company name. At least you're consistent ;)

#61 Posted by Village_Guy (2662 posts) -

Cock.

#62 Posted by Fredddi43 (358 posts) -

As a German, I pronounce it Khoch. ch kinda sounds like a rolling r.

#63 Posted by Grillbar (1904 posts) -

maybe like

#64 Posted by glyn (382 posts) -

Penis Media

#65 Posted by LiquidPrince (16169 posts) -

@nohthink said:

I thought it was like coach....

That's what I thought.

#66 Posted by tyler1285 (178 posts) -

Dick Media LOL JK just tryin 2 lighten up the rest of yalls' day!

#67 Posted by Sanity (1947 posts) -

I think its pronounced like coke, at least thats how i'v always heard it said.

#68 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

coke

#69 Posted by Korolev (1725 posts) -

It's from Germany - it's pronounced "COSH".

Ever heard of Robert Koch? Developer of Koch's Posulates? In the medical field, we pronounce it as "Cosh". It's always pronounced as Cosh, by Germans. Since Koch media is from Germany, that's how they would pronounce it.

#70 Posted by Daftronaut (30 posts) -

German here. This was very amusing.

@NewDust said:

It's so easy if you know it but hard to explain.

1. Ko as in Cock

2. ch as in... well I only think German words have this sound (and some Dutch words come close... so why not put a video here. It's the first option she explains.

Edit: Koch as rhyme to Loch is close but the proper pronounciation of loch would end more to mixture of Lock and Log.

This guy is right.

But keep on pronouncing it any way you want.

#71 Posted by Icemo (659 posts) -

Languages are funny. I can't even imagine how you could pronounce "koch" as "coke" or "cock" since I'm not a native English speaker myself.

#72 Edited by Blackout62 (1407 posts) -

@Korolev said:

It's from Germany - it's pronounced "COSH".

Ever heard of Robert Koch? Developer of Koch's Posulates? In the medical field, we pronounce it as "Cosh". It's always pronounced as Cosh, by Germans. Since Koch media is from Germany, that's how they would pronounce it.

Hard or soft O in "COSH"? Damn it and I took a semester of German, I'm supposed to know this.

#73 Edited by Superfriend (1584 posts) -

"Coke", "cosh" hahaha, you guys crack me up.

I´m a native German and the "ch" is pronounced more like the "ch" in "Loch Ness", provided you don´t americanize it or something. Edit: The Youtube video is probably closer to the truth. Damn you CH!

On a related note: I would never have imagined them picking up any meaningful license or franchise. Don´t want to scare you, but German (and Austrian) publishers don´t exactly have the best track record in non-sleazyness.

#74 Edited by evanbower (1216 posts) -

Depends who's askin'. ;)

#75 Posted by Hunter5024 (5962 posts) -

Pretend you are coughing up a human hairball. The noise you are making is how I imagined it being pronounced.

#76 Edited by BombaLuigi (167 posts) -

HI GUYS IM GERMANZ

its not coke, cock, cough or whatever... its koch... and despite what anyone in this thread is saying, we pronounce it "Kọch", its actually the german word for "cook"

if you actually want to hear how we pronounce it, you should check http://www.dict.cc/?s=koch

#77 Edited by mnzy (2925 posts) -

Hi, I'm German and this

@OfficeGamer said:

I thought it was Koch as in Kochhhhhhhhhhh like "Lachayem"

is correct.

Here is another video that explains it:

edit: Hallo modem.

edit2: I think Loch Ness is a good example, although I'm not sure everybody pronounces it the same way.

#78 Posted by BombaLuigi (167 posts) -

hallo mnz :F