• 91 results
#1 Edited by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

The prologue to Metal Gear Solid V comes out next month, and if you're expecting a nice chunk of Snake's story to keep you occupied until the full game is done, you should probably know that it's short. Really short.

Game Informer got their hands on a near-final build of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes for their March cover story, and they say they beat the game's main mission (not including side quests or special console-exclusive missions) in less than two hours. Less than two hours!

"Judged just by the core story mission, Ground Zeroes is short," Game Informer writes in the cover story (only available in the magazine, not online). "We completed it in just less than two hours."

Ground Zeroes is out on March 18 for Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4. It's designed as a prologue to MGSV—because Hideo Kojima wanted to give people something to play while they wait for the next entry in his stealth-action series—but it isn't cheap: the last-gen version is $20 digital and $30 physical; the current-gen version is $30 digital and $40 physical.

Of course, it's unfair to get judgmental before we actually get our hands on this thing; this could be the best damn two hours of gameplay we've ever seen. Stellar experiences like Journeyand Gone Home are also really short. But I imagine most people expected a little more from a big-budget production like Ground Zeroes.

I will be getting this Day 1 obviously because it is Metal gear duh. I will probably need to look around to see how cheap i can get a PS4 version for. I hope Phantom pain comes sooner rather than later.

Edit: I cannot tag this to the Ground zeroes forum :(

#2 Posted by Nightriff (5322 posts) -

I guess they really mean Prologue. Damn 2 hours?! Looks like I'll absolutely wait till it's cheaper on the PS4. Can't afford $40 for 2+ hours.

#3 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@nightriff: buy it digital for 20$ on PS3/360 or 30$ for next gen.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (5322 posts) -

@darji: 30 for past gen and 40 for current

#5 Posted by HeyGuys (557 posts) -

Yikes! For 20 bucks I don't think so Kojima.

#6 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@nightriff: retail but not digital. Digital it is 20$ and 30$

#7 Edited by RonGalaxy (3275 posts) -

Thats a shame... Hopefully they release a version that has both included for 60.

#8 Posted by Nightriff (5322 posts) -

@darji: Ok, but I'm not going to buy digital and $20 is still a lot for 2 hours, it's the Gone Home argument which I waited for it to be $10 and thought it was still over priced.

#9 Posted by NovaDTH (175 posts) -

Yeah I'm probably going to skip this. Knowing MGS it's not even 2 hours of gameplay it's probably like an hour of cutscenes and an hour of gameplay.

Bummer.

#10 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

Huh, weird. I mean, in terms of past MGS prologues (Tanker Mission, Virtuous Mission) that sounds about right in terms of length but for that price? Hmmm. Guess I'll wait and see.

#11 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

..... I am not surprised..... but really..... I will milk out 70 billion hours because I'm a crazy metal gear fanboy. "Lets find all the j idol posters!!!!"

#12 Posted by Nefarious_Al (174 posts) -

Don't care, buying this for sure. Going for platinum trophy to get all I can out of it.

#13 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

More info:

GZ

• - 2 hr main story mode
  • - normal and hard difficulity present
  • - abbility to turn off all aids [more awards for that]
  • - side missions, collection of XOF patches, extraction of soldiers that will be transfered to TPP
  • - all missions have leaderboards
  • - mobile app for realtime map info
  • - great gameplay
  • - regular content downloadable packs between GZ and TPP

Also to annoy even more poeple. Konami speedtesters can finish it in 5 minutes.

#14 Posted by JayEH (538 posts) -

I'll wait for a sale.It's a shame, I was really looking forward to this game since they announced way back in 2012. Maybe they'll include GZ in with the Phantom Pain when that comes out.

#15 Edited by Elbon (368 posts) -

This is what I was kind of expecting, 2-3 hour opening mission like in 3 and 2. with it picking up when you wake up in the hospital in Phantom pain

edit: I going to do a MGS binge

#16 Posted by spraynardtatum (3634 posts) -

Still really interested to try this out but absolutely not on release. I was expecting more of a half and half or at least 25-75 ratio.

There's a lot of stuff coming out in March regardless.

#17 Posted by Cinnase7en (47 posts) -

@darji: If you're into replaying stuff a lot it does sound worth it.

#18 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@spraynardtatum said:

Still really interested to try this out but absolutely not on release. I was expecting more of a half and half or at least 25-75 ratio.

Kojima said that the world in Phantom Pain is 200 times bigger than in Ground Zeroes.

#19 Posted by Snail (8659 posts) -

If with the side-missions it gets to 4 hours, 30$ is perfectly fine.

#20 Posted by joshwent (2340 posts) -

@darji said:

Kojima said that the world in Phantom Pain is 200 times bigger than i Ground Zeroes.

400 hours of gameplay! Nice!! ;)

#21 Edited by Humanity (10035 posts) -

As long as it's fun I guess - I'm a sucker for Metal Gear.

#22 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

I was against the game when I saw the "2 hr main story mode" bullet point but later on when you got to the fact "great gameplay" you won me back over.

#23 Posted by Aegon (5818 posts) -

Welp, situations like this is what youtube is for.

#24 Edited by FriendlyPhoenix (466 posts) -

We still have no clue what the side stuff consists of. It could be an additional dozen hours of content for all we know. Until then, getting pissed about length is just jumping to conclusions.

#25 Posted by spraynardtatum (3634 posts) -

@darji said:

@spraynardtatum said:

Kojima said that the world in Phantom Pain is 200 times bigger than in Ground Zeroes.

Well that sounds fantastic then! I might just rent this for now and then when Phantom Pain comes out get the Big Boss Bundle or whatever.

#26 Posted by Mezmero (2057 posts) -

Maybe they should've made this series episodic if they were going to make it so short. Just put out a 2 hours set piece every 2 years and call it an episode.

#27 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

If it's so short is there any reason it couldn't be part of MGSV proper? This whole thing stinks of a cash grab.

#28 Edited by Petiew (1360 posts) -

I was playing Snake Eater recently and was surprised at how much time I put into the game just listening to codec conversations and searching for every little item and secret that I could find. You can probably critical path this in a very short amount of time, but I'm sure there is a lot of content to get through.

#29 Posted by Pr1mus (3942 posts) -

It's not that much shorter than the original MGS. If it reaches 3-4 hours with the side stuff it ends up being about the same for 1/3 or 1/2 the price. As long as it's not 80% cutscenes i'll leave the pitchfork and torch for now. After being so bummed by MGS4 and Peace Walker this is actually a cool way to get a taste for MGSV without having to commit 60-70$ first.

#30 Edited by Turambar (6885 posts) -

How much to the game is there aside from the core story missions?

#31 Posted by BigJeffrey (5169 posts) -

Fuck You Konami God damn it im probably gonna to end up getting it day 1, i mean fucking Raiden.

#32 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3776 posts) -

Fuck You Konami God damn it im probably gonna to end up getting it day 1, i mean fucking Raiden.

Raiden, he be killin' it. He killin' it.

#33 Posted by Yummylee (22498 posts) -

I assumed this is exactly what we were expecting. An incredibly short critical-path with some added side stuff to get up to in the mean time. That said, I won't be buying this, primarily because I don't have a PS4, but also because it'd be neat to play it all together. So I'd rather wait instead until Phantom Pain is getting closer to release before I indulge in some Ground Zeroin', where it should also be significantly cheaper in price at that.

#34 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5974 posts) -

I don't care if it's short. I'm still excited to play it. That price though...

#35 Posted by Aetheldod (3701 posts) -

Mhhhhh somehow I kind of expected this ..... maybe not 2 hours but around 4-5 , well Im a bit hesitant. After all that money I rather use it to buy Dark Souls 2 instead.

#36 Posted by ArbitraryWater (12101 posts) -

So it really is the equivalent to the Tanker chapter or Virtuous Mission. Good to know, I guess.

#37 Posted by MiniPato (2751 posts) -

Pisses me off even more that there are console exclusive missions. Don't pull that shit in a demo.

#38 Edited by believer258 (12176 posts) -

Isn't that, like, a cutscene and a tutorial for this series?

#39 Edited by cmblasko (1344 posts) -

I will wait for it to come down to $10. I understand that Konami probably spent a boatload of money developing MGSV but that doesn't give them license to fleece their customers.

#40 Posted by darkvare (780 posts) -

guess i'll wait till it hits the bargain bin on physical copy

#41 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1857 posts) -

There's also still side missions and stuff to go through. The main story part is just 2 hours.

#42 Posted by csl316 (9410 posts) -

So the same length as the tanker mission, which turned out to be the best part of MGS 2 that I replayed over and over. I guess the price is too high but I hope it's a quality two hours.

In any case, it's disappointing but I'll still be playing it.

#43 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2222 posts) -

I wonder how much of that run time is dedicated to cut scenes?

#44 Edited by MormonWarrior (2658 posts) -

I've been meaning to do a series marathon with my friend. I have them all on the PS3. Sooooo...I'll wait.

#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@mormonwarrior:

If you go through with it, do these two things:

1. Record your venture.
  2. Take a drink for every Kojimaism you encounter (every time the game juxtaposes a lengthy technical description with the dumbest fucking thing imaginable).
#46 Edited by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

Burial Under the Sea was around 3 hours for first playthrough and was 15 bucks without season pass, and I thought it was marvelous.

Ofcourse, prices are pretty different.

#47 Edited by AMyggen (3623 posts) -

Konami gonna Konami I guess.

#48 Posted by Elyhaym (237 posts) -

Eh, I'll wait for it to be inevitably bundled to TPP at a more reasonable price. Still need to finish MGS3 HD and Peace Walker HD anyway.

#49 Posted by MormonWarrior (2658 posts) -

@mormonwarrior:

If you go through with it, do these two things:

1. Record your venture.
  2. Take a drink for every Kojimaism you encounter (every time the game juxtaposes a lengthy technical description with the dumbest fucking thing imaginable).

I don't drink...but that's probably a bad idea anyway. I'd probably be dead within a half hour of the first game.

#50 Posted by Yummylee (22498 posts) -

@pr1mus said:

After being so bummed by MGS4 and Peace Walker this is actually a cool way to get a taste for MGSV without having to commit 60-70$ first.

It's funny that you say that, because in the UK the PS4 physical version is going for around £33-£37, which is the equivalent of around $55- $60. And that's only the physical version; digitally, as is the way over here, it should go for £45-£50 at least.