• 95 results
#1 Edited by bigjeffrey (4794 posts) -

This this Gen is over, let's remissness about Box Art.

Some personal favorites Halo Reach, Halo 3 have always enjoyed the halo box art especially Halo 2's but the was last gen. Red Dead's bad ass John Marston ready to blow you away, with terrible shooting mechanics. Left 4 Dead's, a fucking hand with 4 fingers how badass is that. Dead Rising 1's, a dude with a TV against a ton of zombies.

KOTATSU's Picks / Best BOX Art

How About you list you favorite video game box?

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (36034 posts) -

Why are 15% of their choices screenshots of the boxes, completely uncropped?

#3 Edited by Flacracker (1597 posts) -

Borderlands box art is just too great

#4 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

Yep, they're some good choices...except Dragon's Crown - that cover is far too busy, has no real focus, and the text is not easily readable.

Anyway, why are we talking about Kotaku? Let's talk about our own favourites. Personally, I absolutely love this cover:

#5 Posted by GreggD (4478 posts) -

Where is my Alan Wake?

#6 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I think we know why they really picked SUPER MARIO GALAXY

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

While I'm here, I also really like Sleeping Dogs' cover:

#8 Posted by spraynardtatum (2608 posts) -

Sin and Punishment or L4D of those options.

I'm also a sucker for Zelda box art.

#9 Posted by Nightriff (4915 posts) -

Only one out of those I like is that Wii game in Japanese, I'm not sure what it is but the box art is fantastic. Only other one I like is L4D only because it is clever more than anything.

I really like the Demon's Souls and Dark Souls box art, really really good stuff.

#10 Posted by Hailinel (23917 posts) -

I'm surprised that Dragon's Crown is on Kotaku's list, given Jason Schreier throwing a fit about the Sorceress and egging on Kamitani.

But anyway:

Fuck yes.
Fuck the haters.
Both covers are really good, though I prefer the special box's cover.

#11 Edited by LiquidPrince (15846 posts) -

I really like all the FFXIII boxes. Clean and simple with a hot digital lady.

#12 Edited by Tom_omb (338 posts) -

Does digital box art count for download only games?

#13 Edited by bluefish (428 posts) -

I was really happy when I saw this announced.

He's back. And it's in space again. Finally. Pretty.

#14 Posted by TheHT (10891 posts) -

Box art huh? This "of the generation" stuff might be getting a little silly, but OK.

That japanese Uncharted 2 box art is fuckin rad.

#15 Edited by bigjeffrey (4794 posts) -
#16 Edited by probablytuna (3540 posts) -

I think there's only a few covers that impressed me this generation. I really liked Red Dead Redemption's cover, but I would probably pick Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Just look at these bad boys.

I think this Japanese cover (even though it has Korean on it) is the best out of all the Demon's Souls box art
Although I don't own this version, I think this one is slightly better

#17 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

@bluefish said:

I was really happy when I saw this announced.

He's back. And it's in space again. Finally. Pretty.

Probably my favorite

#18 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3754 posts) -

I know GTA V's box art was GTA box art, but it was still the best yet! I like that a lot. Max Payne 3 had some great box art too. Rockstar has great artists.

EDIT: See you had Max Payne 3 in the first post, that special edition cover is awesome. The art for the game on their website is all fantastic.

#19 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I guess this is it. I bought a lot of games digitally this generation and their box art isn't really coming to mind so I guess they weren't that great? Hotline Miami was nice doe.

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6198 posts) -

Man, the Japanese art for Uncharted 2 is so good, you guys.

#21 Posted by Andorski (5192 posts) -

Every time you spell Kotaku like that I think about eating katsu chicken.

#22 Posted by wrecks (2210 posts) -

A few of my favorites.

#23 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3754 posts) -

Man, the Crackdown/Riot Act box art is so funny... just looks so old anime. Hilarious.

A good one from this gen too:

#24 Posted by TruthTellah (8549 posts) -

heh. I think you meant Kotaku, and "This Gen is over, let's reminisce about Box Art." (though maybe I'm just missing a joke.)

I think the original Dark Souls cover is at least the most iconic for me this gen.

#25 Posted by spraynardtatum (2608 posts) -
#26 Posted by Octaslash (488 posts) -

I think the limited edition of Mass Effect 2 had a great case, especially compared to the regular version.

#27 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

Saints Row IV's and GTA V collector's edition look pretty rad. Does anyone else think the Hotline Miami box art looks fucking awful? Idk, maybe just not my style.

#28 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Does the Bioshock Infinite reverse cover count? ;)

#29 Posted by Szlifier (479 posts) -
#30 Posted by BisonHero (6198 posts) -

@szlifier: OH GODDAMMIT.

Seriously though, that's great. How have I not seen this before?

#31 Edited by bigjeffrey (4794 posts) -
#32 Edited by Vextroid (1359 posts) -

Really like me this one:

#34 Edited by BisonHero (6198 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

I'll get to around to posting my favs tomorrow.

Wait, are you like reserving a spot on the first page of the thread for later? Why have I never thought to do this before?

#35 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7051 posts) -

I always really liked the Red Dead box art. Coincidentally, I also really liked everything else about that game.

#36 Posted by TowerSixteen (542 posts) -

Huh, I always thought the "guy or guys standing around in poses, with nothing else interesting or visually indicative of the game either in abstract or concrete" school of box art (and movie posters), was like, the fucking worst. Am I just in the minority about that? Like, it strikes me that Resistance, Sleeping Dogs, Catherine, A Realm Reborn and a few of the others are all staggeringly better and more creative than those that fit that mold (Tomb Raider, ME2, the Halo games, FFXIV to name a few)

#37 Edited by Dallas_Raines (2135 posts) -

#38 Posted by crithon (3081 posts) -

blah, most of these covers just make me think of "how do I rotate the in game camera to make my character look like the halo 2 box art"

I felt Bastion is the strongest one out of all of them because it doesn't feel like it's false advertisement or just some power fantasy. It's a cover I'd be proud to have it framed in my room.

#39 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1030 posts) -

You guys forgot about this sweet-ass box art?

(Yes I know this game is technically a last gen game but hey, why not?)

#40 Edited by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@bisonhero said:

@awesomeusername said:

I'll get to around to posting my favs tomorrow.

Wait, are you like reserving a spot on the first page of the thread for later? Why have I never thought to do this before?

Why yes, yes I am. I'm to tired to do it now and if you people don't pick box arts that I like, well then YOU'RE ALL WRONG. I must prove why you people are under me.(I'm kidding) But seriously. Where's inFamous, Portal 2 and Fallout 3?! This threads ridiculous! At least someone put up Resistance 3. That cover is so good.

Besides, I don't like posting in threads that are on their second page+ because I feel like my comment will just go unread so it's a waste of time. You also never thought of this because you're not @awesomeusername.That guys awesome.

#41 Edited by RainDog505 (100 posts) -

I'll add a dark horse to this conversation but if push-came-to-shove I'd probably vote for either the Resistance 3 box art or Super Mario Galaxy 2.

#42 Edited by bluefish (428 posts) -

In the spirit of the downloadables we've been doing.

#43 Posted by Starkeh (18 posts) -

While not out yet, but still apart of this generation, I feel Dark Souls II Japanese box-art stands out the most:

#44 Posted by cclemon36 (180 posts) -

Huh, I always thought the "guy or guys standing around in poses, with nothing else interesting or visually indicative of the game either in abstract or concrete" school of box art (and movie posters), was like, the fucking worst. Am I just in the minority about that? Like, it strikes me that Resistance, Sleeping Dogs, Catherine, A Realm Reborn and a few of the others are all staggeringly better and more creative than those that fit that mold (Tomb Raider, ME2, the Halo games, FFXIV to name a few)

I'm with you on that. The "guy with gun" box art is really bland in concept and usually ranks lower than pretty much anything else in my mind. That being said, the Halo 4 cover is quite a looker.

#45 Posted by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

I think Resistance 3 is my favorite cover. I also really, really like the Sleeping Dogs box art.

#46 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

No favorites come to mind. I don't pay attention to or really even like most of the box art, including those suggested. I'd say maybe Oblivion and Skyrim were my favorites due to their simplicity.

#47 Posted by DarthOrange (3851 posts) -

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 had a really snazzy reverse cover. If those count then it definitely would get my vote.

#48 Posted by BeachThunder (11702 posts) -

@bluefish: Let's not be afraid to post the real Braid box art. It is a very special kind of amazing:

#49 Posted by BisonHero (6198 posts) -

@beachthunder: Oh man, Braid got a physical release somewhere? What?

But yeah, while technically accurate to the game, that box art is fucking awful and makes it look like a shitty Genesis game.

#50 Edited by Evilsbane (4539 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

I think there's only a few covers that impressed me this generation. I really liked Red Dead Redemption's cover, but I would probably pick Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Just look at these bad boys.

I think this Japanese cover (even though it has Korean on it) is the best out of all the Demon's Souls box art
Although I don't own this version, I think this one is slightly better

@truthtellah said:
@bigjeffrey said:

heh. I think you meant Kotaku, and "This Gen is over, let's reminisce about Box Art." (though maybe I'm just missing a joke.)

I think the original Dark Souls cover is at least the most iconic for me this gen.

@starkeh said:

While not out yet, but still apart of this generation, I feel Dark Souls II Japanese box-art stands out the most:

THESE ARE ALL INCREDIBLE I wish my cover wasn't:

I have the PS3 Version just couldn't find a good pic.