MGS 4 Limited Edition box art is just so good

#53 Edited by bunnymud (717 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite reverse cover

#54 Posted by Humanity (8714 posts) -

Original Demons was pretty good, not the best of the generation but pretty good

#55 Posted by ninnanuam (257 posts) -

#56 Edited by Palmlykta (193 posts) -

#57 Posted by Sick_Sick_Sick (83 posts) -

big fan of the uk mgs 4 box makes up for paying more for things!

#58 Edited by JustKamToo (656 posts) -

#59 Edited by Hurvilo (42 posts) -

Techincally last gen but shit, man, shit.

#60 Posted by BBAlpert (1354 posts) -

Man, the Japanese art for Uncharted 2 is so good, you guys.

"And introducing Nolan North as Lupin IV!"

#61 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

I'm partial to the Saints Row and Saints Row 4 box art. I also like the Brutal Legend art, it's colorful and looks like an album cover. The box art for WET and HotD:Overkill are some of my favorites too. They both give off that Tarantino vibe.

#62 Posted by Tennmuerti (7956 posts) -

Hmmm, not a lot of boxed purchases happened for me in the past few years. It's mostly stuff like console exclusives, or 1 or 2 PC games I wanted the box for.

That was one sick ass box.

#63 Posted by RazielCuts (2909 posts) -

#64 Posted by AMyggen (2460 posts) -

@raindog505: That's a truly fantastic cover, hadn't seen it before. It has that "what the fuck?!" effect for people who don't know what the game is about.

#65 Edited by GIyn (202 posts) -

#66 Posted by hermes (1350 posts) -

Because I didn't like the original...

I believe this one version is a lot better.

#67 Edited by Fattony12000 (6956 posts) -

#68 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1502 posts) -

@palmlykta said:

I'd never seen that before! That's some striking box art. I wonder if they shipped it in a NSMBW-style red DVD case.

@hailinel said:

Fuck yes.

That too. Also a good candidate for best title screen, if we were talking about that.

(For a game I didn't like in a number of ways, I really love a lot of things about Xenoblade.)

@hurvilo said:

Techincally last gen but shit, man, shit.

Twilight Princess had some good art direction all around. I'm partway through Skyward Sword now, and it's making me appreciate Twilight Princess' look all the more.

#69 Edited by planetary (341 posts) -
#70 Posted by mosespippy (3980 posts) -

@razielcuts: The best part of the Fez cover is the hidden triforce, which is exactly the sort of shit you'd expect from a game like Fez.

#71 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7039 posts) -

@razielcuts: The best part of the Fez cover is the hidden triforce, which is exactly the sort of shit you'd expect from a game like Fez.

Wait, what hidden trifor- OH SHIT. I never even noticed that. Fez is awesome, guys.

#72 Posted by Mousse_gallon (168 posts) -

#73 Posted by MormonWarrior (2529 posts) -

@probablytuna said:

I think there's only a few covers that impressed me this generation. I really liked Red Dead Redemption's cover, but I would probably pick Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Just look at these bad boys.

I think this Japanese cover (even though it has Korean on it) is the best out of all the Demon's Souls box art
Although I don't own this version, I think this one is slightly better

@truthtellah said:
@bigjeffrey said:

This this Gen is over, let's remissness about Box Art.

heh. I think you meant Kotaku, and "This Gen is over, let's reminisce about Box Art." (though maybe I'm just missing a joke.)

I think the original Dark Souls cover is at least the most iconic for me this gen.

@starkeh said:

While not out yet, but still apart of this generation, I feel Dark Souls II Japanese box-art stands out the most:

THESE ARE ALL INCREDIBLE I wish my cover wasn't:

I have the PS3 Version just couldn't find a good pic.

I actually always preferred the regular retail Dark Souls cover. I think it looks awesome and ethereal instead of just dark and depressing.

#74 Posted by TheHT (10804 posts) -

I need to get that Uncharted 2 art as a poster and frame it. It's really fuckin rad.

#75 Posted by Demoskinos (14518 posts) -

I've got more favorites besides this but some of them were already posted.

#76 Posted by Coafi (1481 posts) -

#77 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

So many generic looking box arts are in the top

#78 Posted by planetfunksquad (399 posts) -

Cant say I've been wowed by any box art this gen. They just dont make em like they did in the days of the Megadrive man.

#79 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2528 posts) -

Not too busy or weird. A nice image, nice font, and it tells a bit of the story of the game by showing characters and the setting.

#80 Posted by RuthLoose (775 posts) -

Kotatsu. I can't tell if you are Japanese or in a hurry, but I like it.

#81 Edited by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@mosespippy said:

Wait, what hidden trifor- OH SHIT. I never even noticed that. Fez is awesome, guys.

I don't see it. What am I missing?

edit: Oh I see it. I'm using f.lux and the colors kinda off on my computer as a result.

#82 Posted by RazielCuts (2909 posts) -

@mariachimacabre said:

@mosespippy said:

The 'Z' in the logo. (please say it is, otherwise I'll have to go looking again and go mad.)

#83 Edited by pyromagnestir (4195 posts) -
#84 Edited by MB (11889 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

I'll get to around to posting my favs tomorrow.

Wait, are you like reserving a spot on the first page of the thread for later? Why have I never thought to do this before?

let's not get in the habit of that, we'll just consider these posts spam and start deleting them.

Moderator Online
#85 Posted by mosespippy (3980 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@mariachimacabre said:

@mosespippy said:

The 'Z' in the logo. (please say it is, otherwise I'll have to go looking again and go mad.)

Yes it is. The first time I heard Phil mention it he was talking specifically about the logo and not the box art.

#86 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

@mb said:

@bisonhero said:

@awesomeusername said:

I'll get to around to posting my favs tomorrow.

Wait, are you like reserving a spot on the first page of the thread for later? Why have I never thought to do this before?

let's not get in the habit of that, we'll just consider these posts spam and start deleting them.

Please no! Delete the posts that are stealing what I'm doing! Copyright!

#87 Edited by MB (11889 posts) -

@awesomeusername: read the Terms of Service, when you created an account you entered into a dark pact with Giant Bomb. We own your SOUL.

Always read the fine print!

Moderator Online
#88 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

@mb said:

@awesomeusername: read the Terms of Service, when you created an account you entered into a dark pact with Giant Bomb. We own your SOUL.

Always read the fine print!

But I'm American, we don't read the boring print! You're all evil! I want my soul back, I'm leaving Giantbomb forever!

#89 Posted by Bulby33 (545 posts) -

I really like the Resistance 3 boxart a lot. The cityscape in the negative space of the Chimera teeth is brilliant. Love it.

#90 Posted by DarthOrange (3810 posts) -

@giyn said:

Wow dude really?

:/

#91 Edited by bemusedchunk (656 posts) -

#92 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

So the absolute best. <3

#93 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

Yep, they're some good choices...except Dragon's Crown - that cover is far too busy, has no real focus, and the text is not easily readable.

Anyway, why are we talking about Kotaku? Let's talk about our own favourites. Personally, I absolutely love this cover:

Great cover. Fondest memory of any cover was due to this one as I was in Gamestop about a month ago and this kid with his grandma in her wheelchair and his dad who looked like he wanted to shoot himself started pointing and laughing while constantly saying "Hahaha look, it has 4 eyeballs, hahaha how weird, hahaha 4 eye's, that person must have been shot in the head twice" I could only stair at him and walk to the xbox side to not laugh where they can see me.

#94 Edited by Hailinel (23677 posts) -

@palmlykta said:

I'd never seen that before! That's some striking box art. I wonder if they shipped it in a NSMBW-style red DVD case.

Nope. That's just a slip cover for the actual box:

#95 Edited by leebmx (2198 posts) -

All these just make me realise how piss-poor modern day box art really is. Nearly always some dude with a gun. There is not a single image in this thread that I would be happy to have on my wall, or I would look twice at in a gallery or magazine. That to me says it all.

They are just all marketing images - 'This is what is in the box' rather than any attempt at artistic expression. I understand why this is but it makes any attempt to choose which is best pointless. Like arguing over the best fast food picture of a hamburger.

#96 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1502 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@grantheaslip said:

@palmlykta said:

Nope. That's just a slip cover for the actual box:

Oh, I assumed that was just the EU box art or something when I saw it. Even better!

#97 Edited by Palmlykta (193 posts) -

@grantheaslip: Say what you will about the game (personally I really enjoyed it, more so than the Retro ones), but that is one hell of a boxart!'

Edit: I fail at forum.