#1 Posted by Veektarius (5013 posts) -

I bought Kotor off Steam last night on a whim, and though I've only had a little time to play it, it sure looks like the smoke effects are causing a ton of lag - this despite a pretty respectable system. What graphics option will correct this, or is there another workaround?

#2 Posted by jetsetwillie (857 posts) -

if your after PC advice, you can't just say 'pretty respectable system'. people will want specs

#3 Posted by Veektarius (5013 posts) -

All right, it's my laptop, which is a 2.5 Ghz dual-core with 16 Gigs of RAM and a Geforce GT 525M. It should be able to hand a game from the stone age of 3d graphics.

#4 Edited by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

@Veektarius said:

All right, it's my laptop, which is a 2.5 Ghz dual-core with 16 Gigs of RAM and a Geforce GT 525M. It should be able to hand a game from the stone age of 3d graphics.

It doesn't work like that, new hardware isn't always better (16 gigs ram in a laptop LOL), and old games aren't automatically low requirement, your cpu and video card are low end as far as gaming is concerned so I'm not surprised you are having problems with this game which is really hard to get running on the best of systems.

There is a system configuration utility in the KotOR program folder, try running that and it should set the game to run on your computer the best it can, but KotOR isn't exactly easy to get working on newer systems.

Also; there is an update utility in that program folder, you may want to run that to make sure the game is patched up to current.

#5 Posted by Veektarius (5013 posts) -

@Kidavenger: I'm surprised you say that. The game is from 2003, when nothing out there would compare with low end today. I could understand if there were some sort of compatibility issue, but in terms of just plain horsepower I'd think the game would be practically unplayable with an average system at the time. But thanks for the advice.

#6 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

Update your drivers and check your system against your baseline. I have an i7, 16 GB of ram, and dual Nvidia 460's in my laptop and the game runs flawlessly maxed out.

#7 Edited by believer258 (12184 posts) -

*sigh*

If you are using Windows Vista or 7, then there are some known issues with running it. A user made patch and instructions exist somewhere. You'll have to find it yourself, though - I'm currently on a school computer and don't know if I could find it, and it has been a long time since I've had to apply it so I don't remember it.

EDIT: This thread might help.

#8 Edited by ZimboDK (843 posts) -

Yeah, your hardware is of course fine. Kotor has issues in Vista and Win7. There should be some fixes on the Lucasarts forums. I'll actually start Kotor up again tomorrow on Win7, so we'll see how it goes.

EDIT: @believer258 beat me to it.

#9 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

What issues are these? I've been playing on Win7 x64 with no problems. Are the issues for specific hardware or what?