• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by S1RE (11 posts) -

Exciting gameplay doesnt constitute walking around environments hitting the examine button when u hear a musical cue, where is the thought in that? And why include a huge game world when u cant do anything in it? Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. The facial animation was so vague and choosing doubt resulted in the right answer anyways so wat was the point in giving u an option for truth or lie when every time you think they are lying you should have picked doubt wtf! The story sucked, the main character was a hippocrate who cheats on his wife for no reason at all the story gives no reason or resolution to it. Boring game and overrated. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon for another rockstar game. Grow some balls and tell the truth... did you REALLY have FUN playing this game? FUN! You call walking around enviroments picking up clues to musical cues and watching hours of choose ur own adventure cutscenes FUN ? You cant even pull ur gun in public in a huge open world game (wasted opportunity) , you dont even have an inventory u can access - stupid game design all around.

#2 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

true

#3 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

Despite the fact that I ended up buying the game three times (once for 360, and twice for PC because the non-steam version just refused to work), I agree that it was not the fun and immediately engaging game I thought it would be. The tech is still mighty impressive though and would be something that I hope gets implemented in other games in the future.

#4 Edited by Dany (7887 posts) -

I agree with you 100 % but whatever. It's their list, if they liked it then they liked it. Get over it.

#5 Posted by AlecOfTheWest (275 posts) -

Are you that same dude that made a similar thread about LA Noire a couple weeks ago? Either way, this thread is pointless.

#6 Posted by Landon (4130 posts) -

ok

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6323 posts) -

@S1RE said:

Grow some balls and tell the truth... did you REALLY have FUN playing this game?

Yep.

My balls and I agree that it was a failed experiment in a number of ways, but we (especially my left testicle, which I call "Squinchy") still enjoy this game a good deal.

If it's on a top ten, that means it should indeed be on a top ten... for the person who wrote it. That's what's great about subjectivity. It means we don't all have to circle-jerk over the same game year after year.

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I quite enjoyed L.A. Noire for an hour or two then it got old really fast, and yeah clunky, boring gameplay on the whole.

#9 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Is this what you mean when you say "FUN"?

#10 Posted by Getz (2989 posts) -

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Somebody call the waaaaahmbulance cuz somebody said something I don't agree with.

#11 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Opinions... how do they work?

#12 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

I loved it.

#13 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -
#14 Posted by DukesT3 (1891 posts) -

stop it.

#15 Posted by YI_Orange (1128 posts) -

I've been seeing so many of these threads lately. Does this always happen or did people forget how opinions work?

#16 Edited by S1RE (11 posts) -

My points in my first post are all the more relavent now that La Noire got on the top 10 list. Opinions are like assholes everyone has one. And if you wanna have a valid opinion worth listening to come up with some reasons instead of accusing me of qq - some reasons that can prove LaNoire was fun.

#17 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

@S1RE said:

My points in my first post are all the more relavent now that La Noire got on the top 10 list. Opinions are like assholes everyone has one. And if you wanna have a valid opinion worth listening to come up with some reasons instead of accusing me of qq - some reasons that can prove LaNoire was fun.

OPINIONS - HOW THE FUCK DO THEY WORK?

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6323 posts) -

@S1RE said:

Prove... an opinion? All sarcasm aside, do you actually know what an opinion is? Please, define it in your own words, because what you're saying here has honestly got me concerned that you truly don't know what it means.

#19 Posted by Stonyman65 (2591 posts) -

@S1RE said:

Exciting gameplay doesnt constitute walking around environments hitting the examine button when u hear a musical cue, where is the thought in that? And why include a huge game world when u cant do anything in it? Seems like a wasted opportunity to me. The facial animation was so vague and choosing doubt resulted in the right answer anyways so wat was the point in giving u an option for truth or lie when every time you think they are lying you should have picked doubt wtf! The story sucked, the main character was a hippocrate who cheats on his wife for no reason at all the story gives no reason or resolution to it. Boring game and overrated. Everyone jumped on the bandwagon for another rockstar game. Grow some balls and tell the truth... did you REALLY have FUN playing this game? FUN! You call walking around enviroments picking up clues to musical cues and watching hours of choose ur own adventure cutscenes FUN ? You cant even pull ur gun in public in a huge open world game (wasted opportunity) , you dont even have an inventory u can access - stupid game design all around.

You're missing the point dude. It IS an adventure game. It's not GTA 1947 or some GTA style clone. It is a close-ended find-the-object adventure game. Just because YOU thought it was going to be GTA and YOU probably wasted YOUR money on a game that YOU didn't like doesn't mean that it is a bad game and doesn't deserve to be on the Top 10.

Like others said, it was an interesting experiment. It's not for everyone, but lots of people do enjoy playing it. Honestly, I wouldn't mind another game of that style.

#20 Posted by L1GHTN1N (438 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

This looks familiar.

If you look at his last post in that thread, it's the same thing he posted here word-for-word...

#21 Posted by RecSpec (3761 posts) -

I remember all of the arguments about this game when it came out. No point reliving all of those again.

I loved it, and if you didn't, I'm sorry that you didn't. 

#22 Posted by Video_Game_King (35981 posts) -

Uh...no?

#23 Posted by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

It's an opinion. If you have trouble accepting another person's view, that isn't a problem for anyone else but you. Except that you have decided to bitch about in the forums, so good luck to ya.

Also, I don't agree with L.A. Noire being a top ten game. I still enjoyed it though, just thought other games were better.

#24 Edited by tooPrime (338 posts) -

@L1GHTN1N said:

This looks familiar.

@PeasantAbuse said:

If you look at his last post in that thread, it's the same thing he posted here word-for-word...

He's like if viral marketers were paid to carp on games. I thought LA Noire was excellent if you have an adult attention span.

#25 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Maybe if you cry hard enough, they'll change the list. It's worth a shot, right?

#26 Posted by NickFerg (26 posts) -

THIS GUY IS A FUCKING TROLL STOP ENGAGING HIM GUYS... Sorry about that, I just need to release some pressure now and then and the truth comes spilling out like I have truth Tourette's. I'll be good now for another year or two.

#27 Posted by laserbolts (5311 posts) -
@NickFerg

THIS GUY IS A FUCKING TROLL STOP ENGAGING HIM GUYS... Sorry about that, I just need to release some pressure now and then and the truth comes spilling out like I have truth Tourette's. I'll be good now for another year or two.

No need to apologize. The dude wasted his time raggin on a game like anyone would give a fuck what he thinks. He's either a troll or a moron.
#28 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Uh...no

I fixed your Gaben impersonation.

#29 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

At the start of the year, I would have been certain it belonged on a GOTY list. Maybe not as the best game, but one of them. The more distance I've put between myself and the game (which I finished in two or three sittings - including the DLC), the more I agree that it was a disappointment. The story was okay, but lackluster. The gameplay was okay, but got very repetitive and needed a lot more . . . something . . . to carry it the other two thirds of the game. Even the graphics were a bit off putting (though golden era LA was stunning). The only really brilliant thing out of it was the facial animation, which I want to see a lot more of.

It'd still suggest the game to people. I still enjoyed it. I just can't claim it belongs on the top of anything (except maybe a most-ambitious list). I hope someone picks up the reigns and does something similar again, though. Same era. Maybe a different city. A more involved story. More involved gameplay. There is still great potential.

#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (35981 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Uh...no

I fixed your Gaben impersonation.

The hell does that mean?

#31 Posted by Catfish666 (189 posts) -

Once upon a time there lived a little troll. He was a simple little troll with rather bad grammar, but he sure loved action games where you can blow shit up. One day he heard his favorite game company was making a new game. He decided to ignore all the reviews and firmly believe it should be another game where you can blow shit up. Turned out it wasn't. This made the little troll really upset, so he started complaining about it in forums. Alas, his views were simple and grammar rather bad, so no one took him seriously. The end.

#32 Posted by Doubt (329 posts) -

I know this maybe a troll but I feel L.A Noire is like the first Assassins Creed, some people loved it for the new mecanics it introduced and loved playing something different. While others thought it was boring repetitive crap.

Then the sequel came out and everyone loved it so....

#33 Posted by dankempster (2249 posts) -

@S1RE: Let's just pretend for a second that you're not a troll purely seeking to stir up trouble on the forums. With that overlooked, here's the structured and rational response that you claim to be seeking. Do with it what you will.

I think you went into L.A. Noire with completely the wrong expectations. Most of your problems seem to be rooted in the fact that it wasn't a GTA clone. At its core, L.A. Noire is a big budget point-and-click adventure game. Exploring environments for useful objects and interacting with NPCs is a big part of games like that. Your detective's notebook serves as your inventory. A lot of people enjoy adventure games - they enjoy picking up items, chatting to NPCs and piecing together answers to big puzzles. Just because you don't, doesn't make those people wrong. It's not an open world sandbox where pulling your gun at any time is appropriate - allowing the player to do that would have broken the fiction, so it made sense for the developers to impose that limitation. What leaves me confused is why someone like yourself, who clearly doesn't find the mechanics of adventure games fun, would then proceed to buy one, play it, and moan about it. Perhaps the fact you went in with those expectations isn't your fault - perhaps the way Rockstar chose to market the game was misleading and led you to think you'd be playing GTA 1947. On the flip-side, though, there was a lot of pre-release material that pointed to the game's adventure-style mechanics, and every review I've read mentioned that aspect of the game pretty explicitly too. If you failed to do some research into L.A. Noire and just bought it "because Rockstar", then you have only yourself to blame.

As far as Cole's personal story goes, I think the game's narrative goes to great lengths to illustrate that beneath the by-the-book cop exterior, he's a pretty troubled man. That's the purpose of those World War II flashbacks. The reveal of the affair is absolutely perfectly handled, in my opinion - they hold enough back to make it initially shocking, to the point where the player wants to convince themselves that it isn't true, but they also show just enough of their cards to make it plausible. I'm not sure why the fact Cole is a hypocrite surprises you - scumbag protagonists are a standard trope of film-noir narratives, and that's pretty clearly what this game is going for.

I think ShaggE sums it up perfectly - L.A. Noire was a failed experiment in some respects. It definitely didn't do everything perfectly. But a lot of the gaming community feels like it did a lot of things well, and they respect it for those things. If the presence of L.A. Noire on a Game of the Year list bothers you so much, then why not head on over to Giant Bomb's List feature and construct your own, leaving L.A. Noire off of it? That's the beauty of these lists - they're all purely subjective and driven by an individual's opinions.

#34 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

@S1RE said:

You cant even pull ur gun in public in a huge open world game (wasted opportunity) , you dont even have an inventory u can access - stupid game design all around.

I fail to see how those points reflect negatively on the game. You play a cop, a by the book cop nonetheless, the story and Phelps' character dictates that shooting civilians is wrong so thus you can't do it. Having the option creates a huge disconnect from the story and your player actions. As for the other reason, why the need for an inventory, your pistol is more than sufficient for the small firefights littered throughout the game and you don't really pick anything else up except for clues. Clues that go into a almost inventory-like list.

#35 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Opinions, opinions.

#36 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4280 posts) -

lol

#37 Posted by Branthog (7342 posts) -

@Doubt said:

I know this maybe a troll but I feel L.A Noire is like the first Assassins Creed, some people loved it for the new mecanics it introduced and loved playing something different. While others thought it was boring repetitive crap.

Then the sequel came out and everyone loved it so....

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to say in my post a couple messages above! Well, no it isn't exactly what I was trying to say, but I wish it was what I said, because it's a spot-on comment. Like I said, it wasn't perfect and the more time that passes, the less impressed I feel, but it was definitely good and has remarkable potential. It would be a shame if it just falls off the face of the earth and someone doesn't at least pick up on the good part of it to make a real home run.

#38 Posted by Dalai (6991 posts) -

I bought L.A. Noire for my brother this Christmas. He thinks it's fun. His fiance thinks it's fun. I think it looks fun. Hence, I and several others I associate with disagree with you.

#39 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

I liked that they tried something different. good atmosphere and a few decent characters.

#40 Posted by Clockwk (59 posts) -

Some people like games more than others, get over it.

#41 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

I thought it was a decent game. Not quite what I was hoping for, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

#42 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

trolololol

#43 Posted by JasonR86 (9604 posts) -

@S1RE:

I think you were expecting LA Noire to be a game it was never intended to be in the first place. This all just means that the game isn't for you. It doesn't, however, mean it doesn't deserve recognition. It may not be in your personal top 10 but a top 10 associated with a website is a different beast. Not at least considering the game for that list would mean that that website doesn't understand the importance around that game. I think GB handled it well in their top 10 deliberations.

#44 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

i shat on my blueray lanoire disc 

#45 Posted by Vexxan (4615 posts) -

Blah blah blah.

#46 Posted by Vonocourt (2116 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

i shat on my blueray lanoire disc

I usually use toilets, but to each its own.

#47 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@CL60 said:

Opinions... how do they work?

#48 Posted by AlisterCat (5480 posts) -

Thanks for telling me whether or not I should enjoy the game or think it's amazing or not. Grow up. Your opinion does not feed in to a consensus that people should abide by. Especially for personal lists.

#49 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1327 posts) -

I had more fun playing LA Noire than I did Saints Row, opinions I guess??

#50 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7048 posts) -

@Anwar said:

Good to know that I'll have to contact you first before I can form an opinion about a game, I sent you my phone number so you can tell me what to think. Thanks for your post, extremely useful.