#1 Posted by vCOOKIE_MONSTAv (60 posts) -

So, I started playing LA Noire finally. I noticed a funny thing near the beginning. It could be coincidental. It could be on purpose ;)

I believe the writers of LA Noire are fans of George Lucas' THX 1138. What do you think?

#2 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -

So....your basing this on a serial number of a gun that they chances are just made up. I think it just happened to be the same. 

#3 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3232 posts) -

Could be
#4 Posted by louiedog (2381 posts) -

I've only seen about 10 minutes of the movie so I'm not that familiar with it. Is there something about the case or gun that relates to the film? If not it's really not much of a reference.

#5 Posted by Dany (8018 posts) -

Clearly those random numbers are a reference to those other set of random numbers.

4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 Posted by DragonNinja789 (422 posts) -

Ha!

#7 Posted by Kinsella (54 posts) -

I think you are reaching here. Its just a number, nothing else.

I noticed that you get to drive cars in the game, I think its a callout to Pixar's Cars, that movie had cars in it too,

Also noticed you have a gun in the game, think that refers to Commando, another classic movie

The main character also can walk or run, thats gotta be a reference to the film Dirty Harry, he did both in the film

Game is full of tributes, amazing find!

#8 Posted by vCOOKIE_MONSTAv (60 posts) -

@Kinsella said:

I think you are reaching here. Its just a number, nothing else.

I noticed that you get to drive cars in the game, I think its a callout to Pixar's Cars, that movie had cars in it too,

Also noticed you have a gun in the game, think that refers to Commando, another classic movie

The main character also can walk or run, thats gotta be a reference to the film Dirty Harry, he did both in the film

Game is full of tributes, amazing find!

thanks...

#9 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2269 posts) -

@Kinsella:

1138 gets referenced all the time, it's very possible that the guy who wrote the text threw it in. No need to act like a dick.

#10 Posted by deathstriker666 (1349 posts) -

Developers include easter eggs like this in their games all the time. You mock the OP, but why else would they choose 1138? Much more likely that this isn't a coincidence. Also Wikipedia says so.

#11 Edited by vCOOKIE_MONSTAv (60 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

Developers include easter eggs like this in their games all the time. You mock the OP, but why else would they choose 1138? Much more likely that this isn't a coincidence. Also Wikipedia says so.

sweet find. I'm not the one that added that either. THX is one of my favorite films so I had to show someone.

#12 Posted by hoossy (1039 posts) -

well... if wikipedia said so... then it is so

#13 Posted by vCOOKIE_MONSTAv (60 posts) -

@hoossy said:

no but someone else thought about it like I did. wtf people i'll just leave this shit to myself seriously.

#14 Posted by SirPsychoSexy (1354 posts) -

This does not seem far fetched at all, I think there is alot higher chance of someone throwing in a little easter egg than getting the exact same random digits. Good find OP

#15 Posted by hoossy (1039 posts) -

@vCOOKIE_MONSTAv said:

@hoossy said:

no but someone else thought about it like I did. wtf people i'll just leave this shit to myself seriously.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I bow down to Mighty Wikipedia. And besides... it's much more likely it is from the Lucas film then being just being random.

I think most people here on Giantbomb likes it when people point these sort of things out, I know I do

#16 Edited by vCOOKIE_MONSTAv (60 posts) -

@hoossy said:

@vCOOKIE_MONSTAv said:

@hoossy said:

I wasn't being sarcastic. I bow down to Mighty Wikipedia. And besides... it's much more likely it is from the Lucas film then being just being random.

I think most people here on Giantbomb likes it when people point these sort of things out, I know I do

alright. sorry. Yah was excited to post it when i found it

#17 Posted by HistoryInRust (6579 posts) -

1138 is clearly referential. It makes an appearance in a number of George Lucas films, and the number commonly pops up in "geek" cinema/tv, especially in Edgar Wright's work.

#18 Posted by bybeach (5147 posts) -

I thought you mean't this right off the bat..though I do not know why. I Loved that film, but if there is a connection, it's a one off. Yes LA Noire was reactionary..well it was the Mcarthy years, right? But I just do not see anything beyond that. maybe someones personal homage..

#19 Posted by spiceninja (3141 posts) -

I.....don't think so.

#20 Posted by vCOOKIE_MONSTAv (60 posts) -

@bybeach said:

I thought you mean't this right off the bat..though I do not know why. I Loved that film, but if there is a connection, it's a one off. Yes LA Noire was reactionary..well it was the Mcarthy years, right? But I just do not see anything beyond that. maybe someones personal homage..

that is obviously what i said if you read the OP