#1 Posted by voigtboydefunct (4 posts) -

I just wanted to let you all know that I usually really enjoy listening to all of your videos. Lately though, I've heard one too many Jesus C**'s. I can look past a cuss word here and there but that is really hard for me to look past. I will try again in a few months perhaps.

Thanks,

-jv

#2 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4967 posts) -

Really?

#3 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (732 posts) -

Erm. Okay?

#4 Posted by coaxmetal (1605 posts) -

heh

#5 Posted by 42manZ (105 posts) -

Is that really still a curse word? Are people still offended by the use of that?

#6 Posted by hussatron (189 posts) -

I'm pretty sure you'll hear the same in a few months, or at least I hope so.

#7 Posted by voigtboydefunct (4 posts) -

@42manZ said:

Is that really still a curse word? Are people still offended by the use of that?

Never said it was a curse word. IMO it is a lot worse. Just voicing my opinion is all.

#8 Edited by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -
@42manZ@voigtboy: Blasphemy! 

Literally, though. Taking the Lords name in vain is blasphemy, and is probably just as offensive to Christians as that other "F-word" is to homosexuals. 
#9 Posted by dungbootle (2457 posts) -

Well, all I can say is that they are just words and the guys don't mean anything by them. You will definitely not see any change if you choose to leave and come back, though. Being able to say what they want, without censoring themselves, has always been important to them.

#10 Posted by CaLe (3957 posts) -

Are you religious or something?

#11 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

@TooWalrus: yes, obviously taking the name of a 2000 year old religious figure in vain is just as bad as personally insulting a currently living homosexual with a word used to make them feel as though they are subhuman

#12 Posted by TyCobb (1966 posts) -

@voigtboy said:

@42manZ said:

Never said it was a curse word. IMO it is a lot worse. Just voicing my opinion is all.

Jesus fucking Christ. Your opinion is noted.

#13 Posted by Pezen (1594 posts) -

Jesus Fucking Christ, how do you pronounce "C**"? Cstarstar?

#14 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

@Pezen said:

I believe he means Jesus Cunt, the name of my new punk band

#15 Posted by 42manZ (105 posts) -

@voigtboy said:

@42manZ said:

Taking Jesus's name may be a sin in your eyes, but you should consider that it's their sin to commit. It may be to you worse than a curse word, but many people don't see it that way. The crew is probably not going to stop saying it, so you should consider just not letting it bother you. Would you feel as offended if they used the f-word (not fuck) or the n-word (not nugget). I guess what I mean is, do you hate that they don't control their language or do you hate that they use a phrase that offends you personally?

#16 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4967 posts) -

They should say "you know who", like the kids in the Harry Potter movies when they talk about Vold- "you know who".

#17 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

Cue tons of asshole posters saying "Christ, who the fuck cares"?

I don't like censorship of anything, so even if I were offended by something as trivial as a one-off word, I wouldn't ask them to quit using it in the media that they are creating.

#18 Edited by shivermetimbers (765 posts) -

@voigtboy said:

@42manZ said:

Christ means anointed one and refers to the messiah. It doesn't refer to Jesus' name, it's simply a title that Christians call him. Just shouting "JESUS CHRIST" is not taking the Lord's name in vain. By that logic using the word "Goddamn" is taking the Lord's name in vain.

#19 Edited by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -
@stonepawfox: I never said that. It's all relative. Christians (in theory), believe that the Lords name is sacred, and that using His name in vain is kind of a big deal. It's not my opinion, it's what they're (supposed to) believe. 

I guess I should have said in my first post that I'm not really including myself in that group, I don't really get offended by anything these guys say (or anything in general, really).
#20 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I came in to make an Innocence of Muslims joke but can't find a good way to tie it into the thread. IGNORE ME!

#21 Posted by coaxmetal (1605 posts) -

@stonepawfox said:

@Pezen said:

I believe he means Jesus Cunt, the name of my new punk band

lmk when your next single drops

#22 Edited by shivermetimbers (765 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@stonepawfox: I never said that. It's all relative. Christians (in theory), believe that the Lords name is sacred, and that using His name in vein is kind of a big deal. It's not my opinion, it's what they're (supposed to) believe. I guess I should have said in my first post that I'm not really including myself in that group, I don't really get offended by anything these guys say (or anything in general, really).

As I said in a post in page 1, it's not using the Lord's name in vain if you simply shout "Jesus Christ!"

#23 Posted by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@shivermetimbers said:

@TooWalrus said:

@stonepawfox: I never said that. It's all relative. Christians (in theory), believe that the Lords name is sacred, and that using His name in vein is kind of a big deal. It's not my opinion, it's what they're (supposed to) believe. I guess I should have said in my first post that I'm not really including myself in that group, I don't really get offended by anything these guys say (or anything in general, really).

As I said in a post in page 1, it's not using the Lord's name in vein if you simply shout "Jesus Christ!"

Vain. With an A.

Sorry.

#24 Posted by jking47 (1209 posts) -

Getting offended by someone saying jesus christ in today's world is ridiculous. And no, its not like the other F-word, that is worse. Personally I think its just a word, but I understand why some people are sensitive about it.. No one, christian or otherwise, is getting their ass kicked while people shout jesus christ at them.

#25 Posted by shivermetimbers (765 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@shivermetimbers said:

@TooWalrus said:

As I said in a post in page 1, it's not using the Lord's name in vein if you simply shout "Jesus Christ!"

Vain. With an A.

Sorry.

Ah, thanks. Edited it.

#26 Posted by Alexandru (301 posts) -

go burn some witch

#27 Edited by TooWalrus (13159 posts) -
@believer258: Weird, I always actually thought it was the other way around. Thanks.

@shivermetimbers: Exclaiming "Jesus Christ!" or "Goddamn!" is absolutely using the Lord's name in vain, or so I was taught at the Church I went to every week until I was 18. If you're interested in the doctrine as to why (which you're probably not, and really, neither am I at this point), you can probably google it for a source. 

Really, what this all boils down to for me is: "Don't like Bombcast? Don't eat!"
#28 Posted by shivermetimbers (765 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@shivermetimbers: Exclaiming "Jesus Christ!" or "Goddamn!" is absolutely using the Lord's name in vain, or so I was taught at the Church I went to every week until I was 18. If you're interested in the doctrine as to why (which you're probably not, and really, neither am I at this point), you can probably google it for a source.
"

I'm sure they're many arguments on both sides. I'm an atheist born and raised, so my beliefs may be different than yours. I'm sure many Christians would agree with you. The Bible is an ambiguous text that can be construed in different ways, which is why we have so many denominations of Christianity.

#29 Posted by JoeyRavn (4964 posts) -

Sure it's preachy in here. This won't end well. My suggestion is to stop consuming media that somehow offends you and to lock this thread.

There, my job is done.

#30 Posted by 42manZ (105 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@believer258: Weird, I always actually thought it was the other way around. Thanks.

Really, what this all boils down to for me is: "Don't like Bombcast? Don't eat!"

I'm pretty sure it's first brought up in Exodus as one of the (many) laws passed down from God to Moses. That or Leviticus, Numbers, or Deuteronomy. There are a TON of laws that are declared during that section of the Bible. That entire segment is extremely long. Any way, if you want to get technical it's both a Jewish and Christian thing, as far as not using God's name in vain. The christians extended that to Christ, obviously. I could be wrong about this, we skipped over large portions of those 4 chapters in my Literature of the Bible course, I just remember it being there (around the time that Moses is given the 10 commandments).

#31 Posted by psylah (2170 posts) -
#32 Posted by VoshiNova (1677 posts) -

@voigtboy: Word, foul language has never shaken me, but I too have noticed one too many jc's getting dropped. They are generally pretty considerate, and I hope they consider an alternative.

#33 Edited by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Why will you check in a few months?

edit: On the plus side, at least you stayed long enough to advertise your game. lawl

#34 Posted by Cheesebob (1235 posts) -

Jesus Christ on a bicycle!

#35 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Oh no, not your delicate sensibilities!

#36 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

Man, some people are bothered by the tiniest things.

#37 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

I still don't understand why people allow an incredibly old and outdated book to govern every aspect of their lives. Oh well, their loss.