Lashe's Top 5 Games of All Time - #5

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Lashe

Following the trend of list-making I thought I'd have a bash and shed some light on what my Top 5 games of all time are -- very likely to be some obscure choices here.

#5 - Vandal Hearts [PS1] 

Released in '96-'97, this SRPG didn't exactly sell bucketloads. Along with Konami's Suikoden franchise at the time, the Vandal Hearts games (of which there were 2, the first and the very lacking sequel) did make it across to all territories albeit with tepid reception, a crying shame as many SRPG game fans are missing out on one of the most well paced, well written and satisfying games of the genre.
No Caption Provided

As one of the first (perhaps the first?) SRPG titles on a 32-bit console, Vandal Hearts takes place on a 3D battlefield with rotatable camera akin to the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea today and so for fans of the genre today the game does not necessarily feel too dated to the 21st Century SRPG fan.

The Hero of the story is Ash, of the Ishtarian Security Forces who gets pretty caught up in some high-level corruption in thr Government and, as you would expect, it is the job of the player to sort out this mess which climaxes with the enounter of one seriously evil and manipulative son of a bitch at the end of the game - a testament to the narrative is the sheer satisfaction and justice the player feels as the sprite dies in a satisfying, if a little over the top, spray of blood. Sephiroth, eat your heart out.

However the story itself is nowhere near as impressive as the characters themselves; Vandal Hearts contains a roster of brilliantly crafted characters who are portrayed in extremely realistic ways, albeit in a fantasy world. The characters are very well written and the situations which arise draw the player in; it is impossible not to grow attached to at least one of the elements within the roster. There is also a great variety in personalities and there never seems to be one character essentially out of place in terms of story, everyone plays a part and there are no real overlapping personalities which render any one character obsolete. This is something which I feel is missing with regards to a lot of SRPGs today which seem more focused on allowing you to hand pick your roster and create faceless characters which play no  significant part in the overall narrative.

Salamander spell being cast by one of the mages.
The gameplay plays very similar to other SRPGs with movement, attacks and magic taking place over a grid-based map and in terms of being a game that was released over a decade ago, there is nothing in here that would essentially phase a player. The game is actually very accessible for those who may want to try out the genre for the first time but don't have the time or the ability to micromanage on the level which may be demanded by a game such as Disgaea. Although the game does stick to this grid map, more often than not there will be a spin on a level that changes the formula somewhat. One example of this is when the party finds themselves in a village of infected inhabitants and as opposed to killing the villagers (who will attack the party), the objective is to find a cure for their illness. Another idea is the 'ticking clock' like feature, such as the bridge which the party is currently on collapses by a few cells every turn, causing you to have to advance quickly into enemy territory and these variations keep the formula fresh throughout.

The game does have a class advancement system a kin to that found in most SRPGs, however there are a couple of notable differences. For instance, each character has a 'base' job which allows them to branch into two different classes. For instance, a Bowman can develop into a Hawknight or an Archer. From these choices there is a rock/paper/scissors like system which determines the effectiveneess of a unit - a Hawknight is effective against melee warriors but ineffective against an Archer. There is a further step in this class development meaning that each character can advance twice (eg, Bowman > Hawknight > Sky Lord) and there never seems like an imbalance in the number of units with regards to the possible character combinations; one of every unit can be created and then there is room for multiples of class.

One major difference in the mechanics of the game itself that sets Vandal Heart apart, and in my opinion, above the the rest is the way that the levels are treated. As
Town menu, where you perform all kinds of actions
opposed to allowing for a free-world where you can repeat battles on maps with cannon-fodder enemies, Vandal Hearts is linear in that you fight in one story centric battle after another - any exploration is only for class advancing, equipment purchasing and visiting the tavern for information on the next quest. This means that there is no grinding and that every level contains some kind of story progression, a sense of satisfaction after every battle. Also with the inability to grind out until a boss can be defeated in one blow, each battle is carefully balanced so that the enemies are pretty much on par with your party. This evening of the odds turns the game into a series of well-balanced games, more like a game of chess. In order to create a well-rounded party each unit has to make use of this as battles can't be repeated and levels can't be gained through backtracking (class advancements occur every 5 levels gained), so in order to have a party full of tier-3 classes you can't afford to neglect characters.

To conclude, Vandal Hearts is a very often overlooked classic SRPG. While there may not be as much in the way of micromanagement, mechanically the game is very much on the level of modern SRPGs and as such easily accessible. The game progresses with most completed levels and characters develop to a degree which hasn't been seen in the genre for some time, both in terms of the heroes and the villains. It is a tightly packed, satisfying and down right fun experience which can be appreciated by a modern audience, and is a great starting point for those who want to get into the genre and definitely deserves its place on my Top 5 Games of All Time.
Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lashe

Following the trend of list-making I thought I'd have a bash and shed some light on what my Top 5 games of all time are -- very likely to be some obscure choices here.

#5 - Vandal Hearts [PS1] 

Released in '96-'97, this SRPG didn't exactly sell bucketloads. Along with Konami's Suikoden franchise at the time, the Vandal Hearts games (of which there were 2, the first and the very lacking sequel) did make it across to all territories albeit with tepid reception, a crying shame as many SRPG game fans are missing out on one of the most well paced, well written and satisfying games of the genre.
No Caption Provided

As one of the first (perhaps the first?) SRPG titles on a 32-bit console, Vandal Hearts takes place on a 3D battlefield with rotatable camera akin to the likes of Final Fantasy Tactics and Disgaea today and so for fans of the genre today the game does not necessarily feel too dated to the 21st Century SRPG fan.

The Hero of the story is Ash, of the Ishtarian Security Forces who gets pretty caught up in some high-level corruption in thr Government and, as you would expect, it is the job of the player to sort out this mess which climaxes with the enounter of one seriously evil and manipulative son of a bitch at the end of the game - a testament to the narrative is the sheer satisfaction and justice the player feels as the sprite dies in a satisfying, if a little over the top, spray of blood. Sephiroth, eat your heart out.

However the story itself is nowhere near as impressive as the characters themselves; Vandal Hearts contains a roster of brilliantly crafted characters who are portrayed in extremely realistic ways, albeit in a fantasy world. The characters are very well written and the situations which arise draw the player in; it is impossible not to grow attached to at least one of the elements within the roster. There is also a great variety in personalities and there never seems to be one character essentially out of place in terms of story, everyone plays a part and there are no real overlapping personalities which render any one character obsolete. This is something which I feel is missing with regards to a lot of SRPGs today which seem more focused on allowing you to hand pick your roster and create faceless characters which play no  significant part in the overall narrative.

The gameplay plays very similar to other SRPGs with movement, attacks and magic taking place over a grid-based map and in terms of being a game that was released over a decade ago, there is nothing in here that would essentially phase a player. The game is actually very accessible for those who may want to try out the genre for the first time but don't have the time or the ability to micromanage on the level which may be demanded by a game such as Disgaea. Although the game does stick to this grid map, more often than not there will be a spin on a level that changes the formula somewhat. One example of this is when the party finds themselves in a village of infected inhabitants and as opposed to killing the villagers (who will attack the party), the objective is to find a cure for their illness. Another idea is the 'ticking clock' like feature, such as the bridge which the party is currently on collapses by a few cells every turn, causing you to have to advance quickly into enemy territory and these variations keep the formula fresh throughout.

The game does have a class advancement system a kin to that found in most SRPGs, however there are a couple of notable differences. For instance, each character has a 'base' job which allows them to branch into two different classes. For instance, a Bowman can develop into a Hawknight or an Archer. From these choices there is a rock/paper/scissors like system which determines the effectiveneess of a unit - a Hawknight is effective against melee warriors but ineffective against an Archer. There is a further step in this class development meaning that each character can advance twice (eg, Bowman > Hawknight > Sky Lord) and there never seems like an imbalance in the number of units with regards to the possible character combinations; one of every unit can be created and then there is room for multiples of class.

One major difference in the mechanics of the game itself that sets Vandal Heart apart, and in my opinion, above the the rest is the way that the levels are treated. As
opposed to allowing for a free-world where you can repeat battles on maps with cannon-fodder enemies, Vandal Hearts is linear in that you fight in one story centric battle after another - any exploration is only for class advancing, equipment purchasing and visiting the tavern for information on the next quest. This means that there is no grinding and that every level contains some kind of story progression, a sense of satisfaction after every battle. Also with the inability to grind out until a boss can be defeated in one blow, each battle is carefully balanced so that the enemies are pretty much on par with your party. This evening of the odds turns the game into a series of well-balanced games, more like a game of chess. In order to create a well-rounded party each unit has to make use of this as battles can't be repeated and levels can't be gained through backtracking (class advancements occur every 5 levels gained), so in order to have a party full of tier-3 classes you can't afford to neglect characters.

To conclude, Vandal Hearts is a very often overlooked classic SRPG. While there may not be as much in the way of micromanagement, mechanically the game is very much on the level of modern SRPGs and as such easily accessible. The game progresses with most completed levels and characters develop to a degree which hasn't been seen in the genre for some time, both in terms of the heroes and the villains. It is a tightly packed, satisfying and down right fun experience which can be appreciated by a modern audience, and is a great starting point for those who want to get into the genre and definitely deserves its place on my Top 5 Games of All Time.
Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Whisperkill

never heard of it, but good article

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Lashe

Cheers man. If you're a fan of the genre, check the game out -- more than worth a look!

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By PowerSerj

I've also never heard of this game but I'm really interested now. And that cover art is badass.

Lashe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lashe

I'm sure there will be copies of the game on eBay, although my betting would be it will retail pretty expensively --- just don't pick up the sequel by mistake, it was pretty garbage to say the least!

Out with eBay I'm sure there are probably many other creative ways and lengths one would go in order to get their hands on a copy if they were that intrigued.

sherwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sherwood

I've been wanting to add this series to my collection for a while, although I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, just because I have such a large backlog. I'm glad to hear you liked it though, good article.