• 110 results
#1 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

The title says it all. What game did you last lose sleep over?

I lost a night to Pixeljunk Monsters: Ultimate HD yesterday. By the time I finally managed to *perfect* the level I was playing, it was light out. Gosh darn my latent perfectionism!

What about you?

#2 Posted by Dr_Monocle (124 posts) -

Probably Metal Gear Solid 3. I started playing it when I got home from school (probably about 5:30) and didn't stop till maybe 6 in the morning.

#3 Posted by Seppli (10250 posts) -

P.S. It'd be fun to predict which game you'll lose sleep over next... wait... everybody's gonna say Dark Souls II - aren't you?

#4 Posted by RonGalaxy (3266 posts) -

The Last of Us. Some of what happens in that game really got to me. One of the few pieces of art/media that had a physical/emotional impact on me and altered my thought process.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Katawa Shoujo, I think. At times, it gives me pseudo-insomnia.

#6 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

Hmm, i'd say AC3, but that wasn't me staying up to play the game, that was me playing the game because i was having hardcore insomnia. So i dont think that counts....

#7 Posted by drac96 (673 posts) -

Man, how did I not know that PixelJunk Monsters: Ultimate HD was a thing. Now I'm going to lose sleep over it.

The last game I lost sleep over though was Danganronpa. I had to know how it was going to end.

#8 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

When the Patriots lost the Super Bowl to the Giants 2 years ago. Oh video games? Titanfall Beta. First time in a while. Before that it was Skyrim.

#9 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3504 posts) -

...uh.. what do you mean, the last game?

Y'all aren't just losing sleep to games all the time?

#10 Edited by Sterling (2700 posts) -

Journey. I stayed up all night playing that game trying to get all the trophies on my own without looking them up. Next will undoubtedly be Dark Souls II.

Edit: I take that back. It was Crusader Kings II. I am a habitual all night crusader.

#11 Edited by BigJeffrey (5178 posts) -

Lightning Returns, Lightning and Me.

My Goddess

#12 Posted by kappa143 (3 posts) -

Sorcery! for the Iphone. Started playing when I went to bed to try it out but ended up finishing it in one run. Love Fighting Fantasy/Gamebook style games and this is definitely worth playing if you have not tried one before.

#13 Edited by Kidavenger (3628 posts) -

I hadn't played Civ 5 in years, booted it up last week to mess around with the raptr/amd optimization tool and I ended up just playing the game until 1am.

Civ 5 is great.

#14 Posted by Shadow (4988 posts) -

Earth Defense Force...last night

#15 Edited by Nightriff (5335 posts) -

Civilization Revolution. Never had played a civ game before and it really is the perfect game for me. My friend got it and I watched him play it so I went and got my own copy. This was when I was working early morning shifts and here I was staying up till 2 am playing this game when I had to get up in 2 hours. Well that happened 2 days in a row and I had to return the game because I really didn't want to stay up that late, I just would. It is one of the few games where I lost sleep over it and didn't want to. Rock Band probably the other, staying up late playing expert drums.

#16 Posted by CornBREDX (5990 posts) -

I used to a lot but I cant even remember the last time I was able to be that crazy with my sleep schedule- as much as I want to sometimes.

#17 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

A couple day ago I decided to just not go to bed and marathon through the Swapper after starting it because I knew it was a short game. It took me about 5 hours.

Of course my first experience with losing sleep over a game was staying up all night playing Half-Life for the very first time. I mean, dude, you can RELOAD the guns! This is the most realistic game I have ever seen!

#18 Posted by Zevvion (2361 posts) -

Last game released? Or last I played? I regularly lose sleep in the weekends. This past year, mostly to Dark Souls and XCOM.

#19 Edited by CaLe (4052 posts) -

Civilization 5. I don't even play this game! I don't even play it. I played it ONCE, and I was up until 5:30am. I uninstalled it.

What's worse, I didn't even know what I was doing. I was just making progress and it seemed like I was winning so I kept going because I wanted to take over the whole map. It took bloody ages. I still don't know how to play it. What even is that game? It's boring, and still... 5:30am. Everyone should uninstall it.

#20 Edited by Icicle7x3 (1203 posts) -

When Brave New World came out for Civ 5.

So easy to lose track of time with that game.

#21 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5985 posts) -

Sometime last year, I stayed up till 5 in the morning one weekend trying to beat Max Payne 3 (Which I did). I wasn't even enjoying it that much. I don't know what the hell was wrong with me. I've lost sleep plenty of other times on games, but that was the most egregious case in recent memory.

#22 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2443 posts) -

Paranautical Activity has ruined my sleep a couple times with the "one more game" effect.

Extremely not worth it when I have to be at school for 8 hours the next day.

#23 Posted by JesusHammer (177 posts) -

Last night. I started playing at around 8 at night and stopped around 8 in the morning. It wasn't even an actual game. It was a visual novel. I've lost control of my life.

#24 Posted by sirdesmond (1262 posts) -

DOTA, always DOTA

#25 Posted by _Dad (41 posts) -

Zuma.

#26 Edited by Nodima (1292 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto V. All day, every day, don't call me don't text me style playing.

#27 Edited by Sergio (2249 posts) -

I was looking for a good place to stop and save last night for South Park.

#28 Edited by mosespippy (4443 posts) -

Pretty sure it was GTAV sine I haven't played anything brand new since then. It's hard to judge though. On any given night I could go to bed at anytime between 11 and 3, depending on how far west my sports teams are travelling or how much progress I'm making in a game. Nothing has been 4 or 5 AM gaming since GTAV though.

#29 Edited by Klei (1768 posts) -

I have never done this, except when I was an early teenager. My sleep is like gold to me, and I don't want to fuck it up. Although, when I'm too excited for a game release, I wake up at 6 that morning. And I'm tired for two days afterwards.

#30 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Plenty of times around the ps2 generation, too many games for me to mention.

#31 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

so much Mass Effect when I should have been sleeping

#32 Posted by Nasar7 (2795 posts) -

Must've been Uncharted 2 for me; I stayed up till 6 am beating it. Haven't done that in years, before or since.

#33 Posted by benspyda (2050 posts) -

There were a few nights I couldn't stop playing Bravely Default.

#34 Edited by Generic_username (635 posts) -

I started a run of Binding of Isaac last night about fifteen minutes before I'd normally turn in, and it wound up being a way better run than expected and lasted a lot longer than fifteen minutes. Then I played Pokemon X, because fuck it, I was already up late.

#35 Edited by Gruebacca (570 posts) -

The Last of Us had me playing until 2am at one point. I had to force myself to stop about 95% of the way through the game just because the time was getting ridiculously late. I have also lost many a good night playing "just one more turn."

My favorite story is not of my own, but is of the day Halo 3 came out. Man, a good chunk of the school was fucking dead that day because they all decided to go to the midnight launch, play through the entire campaign, and then go to school. The Student Body President even declared such into the loudspeaker that morning; it was nuts!

#36 Edited by chilibean_3 (1694 posts) -

DOTA :(

#37 Posted by Gruff182 (875 posts) -

That would be Rust, last week me and a friend figured we would try it out quickly at about 10pm. It was about 12 the next day when we stopped.

#38 Posted by TheVeteran13 (1216 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite, but that was because I finished the game at midnight, went to bed and proceeded to stare at the ceiling for a few hours thinking "what?"

#39 Posted by Demoskinos (15143 posts) -

Usually whatever it is I'm currently playing as I don't sleep much. So... Lightning Returns?

#40 Edited by Random45 (1280 posts) -

Back when WoW first came out, I must have lost hours of sleep playing it. I remember one night in particular when I was in Alterac Valley before it got nerfed, and it was right around when it first came out. Back then the queues to join the damn thing lasted for HOURS, and when I finally got in I played until four in the morning before leaving. Battles back then lasted anywhere from three days to a week. Man was that fun.

Nowadays I don't really like playing games late, especially if it's story heavy, because I inevitably miss some things I otherwise would have gotten due to how tired I am.

#41 Posted by Whitestripes09 (436 posts) -

Stayed up pretty late playing Mount and Blade: Warband. It got worse once I got the Game of Thrones mod too.

#42 Edited by Ravelle (1406 posts) -

In the past it was Champions of Norrath when I had friends over, we started playing around 2 PM and stopped when the sun came up again. Aaaah simple school days.

Nowadays I loose sleep because of Breaking Brads, Unprofessional Friday's and Diablo III.

#43 Posted by SinGulaR (2392 posts) -

I had a week off between Christmas and New Years. That's when me and a friend of mine played Rust for 35 hours straight. Some months before that me and the same friend played Minecraft for about the same length of time.

#44 Posted by Evilsbane (4738 posts) -

I can tell you the game I'm about to lose sleep over Eh EH? I'll Give you a hint, it doesn't have Giant Robots, Or...maybe it does, Steampunk Robots full of innumerable souls.

#45 Posted by MannyMAR (521 posts) -

The last game I can honestly admit to losing sleep to was the original Halo, my friend and I demolished that game's campaign in one sitting. The Co-Op in Halo is so awesome.

#46 Posted by Fredchuckdave (6143 posts) -

I guess considering I had trouble sleeping yesterday it has to be Dark Souls 2.

#47 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

Dark Souls, just got to make it to the next bonfire.

#48 Edited by BaneFireLord (2957 posts) -

I have never let a game infringe upon my sleep schedule. I love games, but I love sleep even more.

#49 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4807 posts) -

I had some serious DotA 2 binges these past few months.

#50 Posted by wemibelec90 (1831 posts) -

It's never been a thing for me. I have begrudgingly stopped playing a game at bedtime, but I rarely push it very far. It probably helps that I take online classes and don't work, meaning I don't really need to worry about going to sleep (my current day is from 3 pm to 6 am).

In the spirit of the thread's title, however, I have had trouble falling asleep after playing games that stick around in my mind for awhile. After I finished Gone Home for the first time, it was all I could think about for days. It probably took me 2+ hours to fall asleep that night because I kept going over it all in my head, again and again. I'd say this is far more common of an occurrence for me than the alternative.