• 66 results
#1 Posted by IFlippaDaSwitch (2 posts) -

I have just started playing the Mass Effect Trilogy and I just wanted to know other peoples opinions of the series and which of the games was their favorite. I'm currently early into Mass Effect 1, getting ready to leave citadel. Thanks for the comments.

#2 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

It is my favorite game series. And if I had to chose one game, It'd have to be ME2.

#3 Edited by Dalerax (56 posts) -

I really enjoyed ME3 mainly because it was the culmination of everything I had done previously (I played all three games one after another within a month or two). Most people will probably say their favorite is ME2, which was also fantastic. ME1 was great but the way it plays changes a lot (for the better) going into the second game.

#4 Posted by iceman228433 (617 posts) -

I would say skip the first one and play mass effect 2 that game is amazing. That first one is such a pile of crap.

#5 Posted by SolitaryHero (17 posts) -

I've heard a lot of people refer to Mass Effect 2, as 'dumbed down' from the first game, but in truth they just removed a lot of the RPG type elements from the combat to appeal to a wider audience. They essentially streamlined ME 2 to fit better into the action-shooter genre. The RPG elements are still there in regards to the social interactions, open environment and choices that have consequences; however the combat is a lot sleeker and better paced. I personally found the combat changes made the sequel less challenging but that's really a personal preference. They're very different games, but if you like the first one you'll pick up the second one and enjoy it.

I can't comment on the 3rd one as I've never played it, but there's no way you could have missed the crap storm over it. There's a lot of extreme and conflicting opinions out there on that one!

#6 Posted by YI_Orange (1172 posts) -

Mass Effect is a brilliant series, and 3 is my favorite one. Two was fantastic, but mostly because of the characters and not so much the events. I just feel Three was much stronger from a story standpoint without really losing the intimate character stuff.

Also, I would highly recommend some of the dlc. Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2. From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel, and Extended Cut for ME3.

#7 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1926 posts) -

I would say skip the first one and play mass effect 2 that game is amazing. That first one is such a pile of crap.

Disregard this advice.

The first is certainly very rough gameplay wise, the main quest-line is far shorter than the other two games, and the side quests all consists of exploration on barren patches of land with a barely functional vehicle, but it has so much more going for it. Mass Effect 1 establishes what is a fantastically realized sci-fi universe, introduces you to the various races and characters that will populate it, and tells one hell of a compelling chase story with some interesting opportunities for decision making.

Mass Effect 2, though somewhat lacking in depth, is the best complete package of the three games, though if not for some key missteps Mass Effect 3 probably would have been the best in the series for bringing back some of the depth of original and combining it with the best gameplay of the three.

Whatever game you prefer, this trilogy is fantastic, and without a doubt my favorite new franchise of gen 7, and one of my favorite game series of all time.

#8 Edited by Chop (1998 posts) -

As far as games with connected stories go, the ME trilogy is probably my favorite; I grew incredibly attached to that universe, my Shepard, and a good portion of the side characters.

Mechanically, it's hard to argue against three being the best but I really feel like two nailed the character moments and one had the best atmosphere. Gun to my head, I'd say two is my favorite but it's so hard to not view them all as a singular thing for me =/

#9 Posted by SolitaryHero (17 posts) -

@chop: I don't know if its just me, but in terms of atmosphere the first gave me the overwhelming feeling of something out of Blade Runner. I don't know why, maybe its the 80's -esque sci-fi music!

#10 Posted by Calmgamer (156 posts) -

I'm jealous of TS that he gets to play through this for first time. One of my favorite game franchises of all time. I know people have mixed feelings on 3, but I loved it.

Also, I would highly recommend some of the dlc. Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2. From Ashes, Leviathan, Citadel, and Extended Cut for ME3.

This is great advice :)

#11 Edited by Seppli (10250 posts) -

@chop said:

As far as games with connected stories go, the ME trilogy is probably my favorite; I grew incredibly attached to that universe, my Shepard, and a good portion of the side characters.

Mechanically, it's hard to argue against three being the best but I really feel like two nailed the character moments and one had the best atmosphere. Gun to my head, I'd say two is my favorite but it's so hard to not view them all as a singular thing for me =/

Aye, it is my favorite gaming trilogy as well. If only the lead writers didn't feel the need to take the Mass Effect universe out back and shoot it in head by the end. To me, Mass Effect is dead right now, because of how things ended. I didn't want it to be that way. I was so very pissed that they made me feel that way about my favorite Sci-Fi universe.

I really don't know if they get to come back from the downright self-destructive ME3 endings. Hopefully they'll manage to breathe new life into it, despite the conclusions of the trilogy working against them. Slim chance, but they better pull it off. I know I want more Mass Effect, even if I don't feel anything for it anymore. As far as I'm concerned Bioware left Mass Effect gutshot in a back alley, like a rabid dog they put down, the life slipping from its broken body, and I believe it way beyond recovery. For fucking shame!

*Grrr*

Ontopic: ME2 is my favorite. The final act is my most cherished singleplayer experience to date.

#12 Edited by IFlippaDaSwitch (2 posts) -

This is some great conversation! I feel like not playing the games at launch left me out of the conversation that comes with a series this greatly loved by it's audience. But I'm glad that I've got the trilogy now, I'll definitely be looking to platinum all three of these games.

#13 Edited by bluefish (545 posts) -

@iflippadaswitch said:

This is some great conversation! I feel like not playing the games at launch left me out of the conversation that comes with a series this greatly loved by it's audience. But I'm glad that I've got the trilogy now, I'll definitely be looking to platinum all three of these games.

It's an amazing trilogy. The first one is a bit of a chore but there is lots to like with a bit of patience. ME2 is my favorite by a significant margin and I really can't fathom how people look back on the first so fondly but I guess I'm just happy their happy. Three is a nice middle, it has some really stupid missteps and does feel pretty rushed in a lot of ways but a very solid final chapter regardless. I also think the hate for the endings was VASTLY over done. It's not the most elegant conclusion but it's bold and final. I really hate when endings don't have the balls to close the damn book on anything. ME3 closes that book pretty hard, which is cool.

So yea, have a good time man, those games are so good.

also: MASS EFFECT PAAAARRRRRTTTTYYYYYYYYY!!!! (you haven't met some of these wonderful people, but you will!)

#14 Posted by erhard (439 posts) -

I played ME2 and 3 without playing the first one, and I really liked them.

#15 Posted by Aetheldod (3706 posts) -

I used to love ME .... but after how the story went I no longer wish to play them :( In terms of gameplay 3 is the best by far , but the missions structure was a huge let tdown and a step backwards from ME 2 and 1. Best missions are the DLC ones .... from the one on ME 1 (dont recall the name) , to Lair of the shadow broker and Overloard .... those should have beeen the blue prints for the entirety of ME3 (they had exploration as in ME 1 but.... in cool looking spaces). ME 1 is indeed a cool game , maybe not mechanicly but god damn that exchange with the ______ is so awesome. Also the final part is really cool.

#16 Edited by SolitaryHero (17 posts) -
@bluefish said:

@iflippadaswitch said:

It's an amazing trilogy. The first one is a bit of a chore but there is lots to like with a bit of patience.

If you can get past the Mako bullshit you can get through anything!

#17 Posted by Brendan (8121 posts) -

I really liked all three!

#18 Posted by SunBroZak (1340 posts) -

God, I hated the ending to Mass Effect 3. Still do.

Despite that, it's my favourite of the series. In some regards they went all out in resolving the big plot threads of the past couple of games. And I really loved the differences in tone compared to the other games.

#19 Posted by xXCrazyCostaXx (120 posts) -

Favorite series of this generation, look at 3 as the whole game series being a conclusion and you won't have any problems. A lot of people looked at 3's ending as an ending to 3 and not as a whole. Every last bit of that game is an ending. Enjoy

#20 Posted by casper_ (910 posts) -

all you gotta know is after the first one its gets considerably more polished but a little more soulless/focus grouped

#21 Posted by Veektarius (5011 posts) -

The only game that has anywhere near its commitment to building up its supporting characters is Baldur's Gate, and Mass Effect has it beat by a mile.

#22 Posted by ajamafalous (12146 posts) -

1 is the best
2 is bad because the story sucks and it's a middling shooter with RPG mechanics instead of an RPG with shooter mechanics
I didn't play 3 because 2 was so bad

In my mind the series begins and ends with 1.

#23 Posted by Doskias (317 posts) -

You know, it's really interesting to read all the divergent opinions on this thing. So many possible combinations of thoughts are represented in this one thread already - it's kind of cool to see.

@brendan said:

I really liked all three!

But I wholeheartedly echo this sentiment.

If I were to go back and try to play them all again, I'm sure I could form arguments for one above the other and such, but I prefer to just be glad to have experienced all three of them in the way I did.

#24 Posted by LawGamer (299 posts) -

ME1 has the best overall story arc, while ME2 is the better overall product.

Let's just say people . . . have their opinions about ME3. It seems people's opinion of 3 is tied to how invested they were in the first two games. If they loved 1 and 2, chances are pretty good they won't like 3, and visa versa. Since ME2 was one of my favorite games of last gen, I'm definitely in the "hate it" camp.

The ending gets all the discussion, but there were plenty of other things wrong with ME3 from a technical/gameplay standpoint that would have made it the weakest in the series anyway.

#25 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3528 posts) -

I enjoyed all three. The first one has the best atmosphere, though it's true the sequels have better combat. I feel the original Mass Effect is a little more science fiction. It has also has a detective-mystery thing going on and a more grounded plot until the big reveal. The series gets a little sexed up as it goes on but they're all great. The ME3 multiplayer is definitely worth playing. Very satisfying to play as all those alien races and other factions after years of interacting with them. Gives you a different appreciation of the universe somehow.

#26 Posted by Hyuzen (467 posts) -

@iflippadaswitch: I wonder, if you've managed to avoid all the talk around mass effect 3, or if you've never really seen Bioware talk about the series, if you'll even be bothered by what happens. I've always felt that the series never offered decisions that really change the story, just decisions that slightly shape the world. Yet Bioware always talked about how your decisions would completely change the universe, so without that understanding I wonder if someone would be as upset about how the series turns out.

#27 Posted by Zlimness (569 posts) -

The Mass Effect series could almost be a Rise and Fall-Hollywood movie. The first game was ambitious but flawed. It dragged the console RPG genre, kicking and screaming into the new generation. It wasn't a fantasy setting, nor gritty sci-fi. It was bright and inviting. I really love the style of the first game. Despite it's lack of good side-quest content and poor hardware optimization, there was a lot cool stuff in that first game. Like the customizable ammo they dropped in favor of clips. All in all, I loved the first game.

The second game is the peak of the series I guess. It's better in almost every way compared to the first game, especially the side-quests and new cast of characters. But I also think it lost most of it's RPG-ness and unique style when going more action-oriented and gritty (As most EA games tended to do somewhere after 2010). The DLC felt a bit sour as well. Nothing compared to the third game, but it was a taste of things to come.

The third game is basically the fall of the series. Most of the game was just OK, feeling mostly like a rehash of the second game while struggling under the weight of it's story. The series painted itself into a corner at the end of Mass Effect 2 that they never could get a clean exit from. The third game feels like the non-canonical, straight-to-DVD third entry that nobody wanted, or asked for. If you played it at launch and finished it (Which I did) without the DLC and the extended ending, it was a thoroughly hollow experience that left me shrugging my shoulders and wondering what was the point of it all.

Mass Effect could have been an epic series. Too bad Bioware sold out to EA. There, I said it. Fuck you! :(

#28 Edited by TowerSixteen (544 posts) -

First one has the tightest main plot, second has the best character writing. All are good.

I don't know how you play games, but if you're the type who has a hundred-percent compulsion- resist, hard, in all games but the third. A lot of the optional content is busywork with no real rewards in content, lore, or gameplay.

#29 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

I'm in the same boat, but am finding combat pretty difficult, picked a vanguard and can't seem to get anywhere with long range attacks.

#30 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I just replayed #1 in December and #2 in January. I'm going to do #3 this month. I've never played any of the DLC for #3 before. I finally have it so that should be at least interesting.

Take your time. No need to rush through them. #1 has the best side missions. You actually have to read the mission text and warp to the right system. It doesn't put a marker on your map. I know I know, it's a lot to ask. #2 had better shooting and movement but not as good story and like 3 dumb & cliche characters among some decent ones. Some of the set pieces are pretty.

#3 is dumb. The story, the flashbacks, the bugs. The opening is terrible so have a few beers on hand and just power through it. Miranda's mission is the best part of the vanilla game. It's towards the end. When you get to the end of the game and are at the bright light & elevator just shut it off. Everything past that is just 5-10 minutes of fanfiction so stupid it will make your ears bleed.

None of your decisions ever matter so play it out how you feel like you should.

It's worth it to read a FAQ to get Thane killed in the final ME2 mission. Fuck he is such a terrible character. One of the surprise characters you can sell off which is both super funny and totally deserving. Make sure to do that. Also, Morinth is the right choice. Her mother's mission is super-great and pretty funny too if you play it right.

#31 Posted by FLStyle (4913 posts) -

I thought the Citadel sections in 1 were the best and wish you could visit all the sections from the trilogy in one game.

#32 Edited by LackingSaint (1853 posts) -

I played through the entire series start-to-finish a few months ago, having gone from Mass Effect 1 to 2 years ago but no longer remembering anything about my character. Huge amount of emotional attachment to the characters over the course of those three games. In terms of gameplay, I prefer Mass Effect 2 purely because it's the only time side-quests didn't feel like tedious bullshit, but I think the writing was pretty top-notch from start to finish. Not ashamed to admit, I teared up several times in ME3 (that Citadel DLC, man, it was just such a love-letter). I can't count the amount of times I bumped into a recurring character in the games and just had that heartwarming sensation like reuniting with old friends.

And yeah, Mass Effect 3's ending is really unsatisfying. Butwhaddayagonnado.

#33 Posted by Roger778 (960 posts) -

@iflippadaswitch:

The Mass Effect series are the best games I have ever played on the X-Box 360. Be sure to get as much of the DLC you can, especially for ME2, which is my favorite of the trilogy, because they really add to your experience. Lair of the Shadow Broker is my favorite.

#34 Posted by believer258 (12176 posts) -

I like all three of them to varying degrees. Skyrim is my favorite game of the generation, but I would say that Mass Effect 2 is the overall best game of the generation. Or pretty high up there.

All three of them have their issues and high points, though. Mass Effect 3 is the worst of them so brace yourself, but even it isn't dogshit. It's just OK.

#35 Edited by e30bmw (356 posts) -

Mass Effect is a brilliant series, and 3 is my favorite one. Two was fantastic, but mostly because of the characters and not so much the events. I just feel Three was much stronger from a story standpoint without really losing the intimate character stuff.

The best part of playing them now is that the DLC never goes on sale! So you get to spend more on a single piece of DLC than you did for the entire game (assuming you got the game on sale). It's crazy that they never released GOTY editions or put that DLC on sale. In fact, I played through 1 last fall, jumped into 2 and was really enjoying it but stopped playing because I've heard the DLC is so good but I refuse to pay full price for it.

#36 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (534 posts) -

I've played through 1 and 2, and I'm currently working through 3.

Even through I haven't finished the trilogy completely, so far it lines up with the original Star Wars trilogy in terms of setting and feeling. The first is very much "Hey guys, we're in SPAAAAACEE!" It does a great job at setting up a new universe and gives you a few characters to care about, but doesn't dive in just yet. The second game is very Empire Strikes Back. It's the dark, gritty, seedy underbelly of the galaxy. There's much deeper character development, and a more serious tone to the story.

Out of the first two, I think I prefer ME2 over ME1, but only by a slim margin. We'll see how ME3 pans out soon.

#37 Posted by Catarrhal (859 posts) -

Best advice? Play as Femshep.

#38 Posted by csl316 (9413 posts) -

ME1 had the best story, 2 had the best character stuff, and 3 was my favorite of the series.

Mass Effect is amazing, man.

#39 Posted by kristov_romanov (465 posts) -

@iflippadaswitch:

So glad you Posted man. Mass Effect rocks my world. Will talk about it for days!

ME2 Is where it is for me, love Miranda, Legion and Kasumi as characters, and Shadow Broker DLC-wise.

#40 Posted by OurSin_360 (947 posts) -

ME1 had the best story, ME2 had the best characters, and ME3 had the best combat and weakest story.

2 is where the series peaks IMO, ME1 had great story but i felt the human character were all boring but in 2 every character was great (minus the 2 dlc ones).

All around though, the entire series was great.

#41 Edited by TheBluthCompany (422 posts) -

@lackingsaint: Great track but I prefer this one, even though I don't like the ending.

#42 Edited by flasaltine (1702 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 has the best story.

Mass Effect 2 does nothing to advance the plot.

Mass Effect 3 has the same story as Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2.

Mechanics wise ME 2 and 3 are pretty much the same. But I prefer ME 1. I like the unlimited ammo and the grenades that travel forever

#43 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

Best advice? Play as Femshep.

YES! This is the bestest of advice.

#44 Posted by Clonedzero (4196 posts) -

I absolutely loved the series.

Yes ME3 had its problems, but it was still a pretty damn good game, lots of people forget the great moments of that game and focus on the big dumb ending or the poorly implemented side quest stuff. Aside from that the game was pretty damn good.

#45 Posted by armaan8014 (5443 posts) -

I like how some people are calling ME3 their favorite. It's my favorite too, for similar reasons. Next would be the first one. Second was okay, paled in comparison to the other two for me.

#46 Posted by Ancient_Gray (16 posts) -

After several years of dodging the series a friend of mine and I made a mutual agreement that he would play Dark Souls and I would play Mass Effect. I've played through 1 and just beat 2. Now I'm playing on the PS3 version which has its share of problems. But so far I enjoy them. I liked the story a lot more in 1. But 2 is just a lot more fun to play.

#47 Edited by Skooky (479 posts) -

The Mass Effect series is a collection of garbage third person shooters and bad stories. There are some characters that are great, but then most characters are dumb as fuck. Mass Effect 2 might be the best standalone package, but taken within the context of a trilogy, it's almost irrelevant.

P.S. The Illusive Man is a god damn terrible character.

#48 Posted by Sterling (2695 posts) -

I hope they make a next gen port of the trilogy. Because god damn if I wouldn't play them all again on PS4. Take my money EA. Take it!

#49 Edited by LackingSaint (1853 posts) -

I absolutely loved the series.

Yes ME3 had its problems, but it was still a pretty damn good game, lots of people forget the great moments of that game and focus on the big dumb ending or the poorly implemented side quest stuff. Aside from that the game was pretty damn good.

Hell yeah dude. The Tuchanka stuff with Mordin, The finale of the Grunt mission, hanging out with Garrus on top of the Citadel, Legion's arc, everything about the Citadel DLC, Javik. There are so many superb moments in ME3. Real shame about the extremely poor side-quest-management stuff.

#50 Posted by SlashDance (1843 posts) -

@skooky:

You're a terrible character.