• 65 results
#51 Posted by Baillie (4279 posts) -

All three games are great, you'll love it all until a pretty weak ending of the series. Mass Effect 1 has probably the best story I've ever played in a game, it is incredible. Mass Effect 2 streamlines the gameplay and gives you some of the best characters development in video games. Mass Effect 3 is great, but I felt the story wasn't as great as the first and the character development was put on the back burner, although the music is incredible.

#52 Posted by Veektarius (4984 posts) -

Oh, I forgot to give advice. Don't buy the PInnacle Station DLC for ME1 and don't buy the Omega DLC for ME3.

#53 Posted by lilyWhite (29 posts) -

@lawgamer said:

ME1 has the best overall story arc, while ME2 is the better overall product.

Let's just say people . . . have their opinions about ME3. It seems people's opinion of 3 is tied to how invested they were in the first two games. If they loved 1 and 2, chances are pretty good they won't like 3, and visa versa. Since ME2 was one of my favorite games of last gen, I'm definitely in the "hate it" camp.

The ending gets all the discussion, but there were plenty of other things wrong with ME3 from a technical/gameplay standpoint that would have made it the weakest in the series anyway.

Always great to see the tired old "real fans of [Series] don't like [Installment I don't like]" argument.

@e30bmw said:

The best part of playing them now is that the DLC never goes on sale! So you get to spend more on a single piece of DLC than you did for the entire game (assuming you got the game on sale). It's crazy that they never released GOTY editions or put that DLC on sale. In fact, I played through 1 last fall, jumped into 2 and was really enjoying it but stopped playing because I've heard the DLC is so good but I refuse to pay full price for it.

They've had the DLC on sale. A while back, Citadel and a few minor packs were on sale.

#54 Edited by e30bmw (356 posts) -

@e30bmw said:

The best part of playing them now is that the DLC never goes on sale! So you get to spend more on a single piece of DLC than you did for the entire game (assuming you got the game on sale). It's crazy that they never released GOTY editions or put that DLC on sale. In fact, I played through 1 last fall, jumped into 2 and was really enjoying it but stopped playing because I've heard the DLC is so good but I refuse to pay full price for it.

They've had the DLC on sale. A while back, Citadel and a few minor packs were on sale.

And it should be on sale. I paid like 9 bucks for ME3, I'm not spending 15 bucks on a single piece of DLC.

#55 Posted by Quarters (1817 posts) -

Have fun! As a heads up, be sure to get AS MUCH DLC as possible. Pinnacle Station for ME1 is probably one of the only flat ones that don't add much. But the others actually have some cool story crap in them, including stuff that carries over into future games. ME3's is super important for a different reason. All of the story DLC is fantastic, and kind of invaluable when it comes to making the plot more whole. But yeah, my favorite is still ME3. I think it's the best balanced of the three, with some incredible character moments and some genuinely touching scenes. Plus, it has the best action out of the three, both in gameplay and cutscenes.

I was really satisfied with the series(especially post-ME3 DLC), and it sits very comfortably within my top two series of all time. Can't wait to see where they take the series next.

#56 Posted by RVonE (4687 posts) -

Mass Effect 1 is my favorite. Not only because of the story but also because of the soundtrack. That first soundtrack is really something else. And also because Sovereign actually sounds intimidating unlike the whiny voice of Harbinger.

#57 Posted by Deathstriker (332 posts) -

I like all three games a lot even though they have different strengths and weaknesses. An image I saw awhile had a good summary for each game where they compared each to a sci-fi show.

ME1 = Star Trek

ME2 = Firefly

ME3 = Battlestar Galactica

The very ending does kinda suck, but it's still worth playing. I wouldn't tell someone to not watch The Sopranos just because the very final moments were lame. Also, the multiplayer was surprisingly good. I'd love to see a Destiny style spin-off from them sometime soon.. it looks like Destiny is trying to copy them a little bit anyway.

#58 Edited by pyrodactyl (2285 posts) -

Make sure to get the essential DLC. Both character DLC for ME2 as well as the shadow broker. All the DLC for ME3 except omega but download the citadel DLC AFTER you finish the game.

#59 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3511 posts) -

I can't recommend the multiplayer enough, though I have no idea what the server population is like on console. On PC it seems easy enough to get a game.

After all those years of seeing and interacting with different aliens and factions it was a strange sort of eye-opener to actually play as them, gain their skills or mobility/tactical quirks. I wonder if any of this occurred to the developer but the ME multiplayer has a way of enriching the fiction that's really satisfying.

#60 Posted by jaycrockett (477 posts) -

They are all so good. I wish I could play Mass Effect 1 for the first time again.

#61 Posted by SpacePenguin (479 posts) -

The first one is my favorite, I feel it had the best story and very strong antagonist. Plus the music and atmosphere was so good.

Also one of the main aspects to these games is the fact you take this one character that you create through all the games the decision you make go with you, people telling you to skip one game is bad advice in my opinion.

#62 Edited by madpierrot (72 posts) -

My favorite gaming franchise of all time. Loved all 3 games, but 2 was my favorite. 1 had that awe inspiring, exciting, fresh experience that made it so amazing the first time you played it. Along with probably the best story of the three and what I think is the best soundtrack ever for any game. 2 I believe is generation defining levels of amazing. It nailed the dark middle chapter and managed to make a smaller level of story still great with the characters it added. 3 while what I would say is the weakest is still great and probably had the best individual moments and gameplay of the three. Also the multiplayer turned out to be really, really good and the citidal DLC was such an amazing closing number.

As others have mentioned I actually feel a little jealous that you are experiencing it for the first time now.

#63 Posted by SunBroZak (1292 posts) -

Hey guys, if you're in Europe you should know that the "blockbuster" sale on the PS Store gives significant discounts on everything Mass Effect 2 & Mass Effect 3-related. I finally picked up all the MS3 dlc myself.

#64 Posted by anywhereilay (172 posts) -

I've just started playing through on my PC for the first time, having played the first chapter countless times on the 360 as well as a single playthrough of two.

Gotta say, kinda excited about finally playing the final chapter after...although it is a shame I've had to get origin for a single game and those DLC prices for 3 are pretty damn steep.

#65 Posted by mems1224 (265 posts) -

Its probably my favorite new IP from last gen despite ME3's disappointing ending. ME2 is my favorite game in the series just because the party members are so much better overall.

#66 Posted by UlquioKani (1168 posts) -

Dope series. 2 is my favourite game of all time. At a certain point, ME1's combat becomes manageable so stick at it if you're not enjoying it at the start. Also save a bunch as the check pointing in the first one isn't great.