Late to the RE Party

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Drizzle

After putting in twenty hours to RE 5, i was curious to know more about the storyline prior to everything. Now having bought RE 4 three times(twice on the GC once on the PS2) and not having completed it, this obviously will be my next purchase. My question to you is out of 0,1,2,3 and Veronica which are worth picking up? Mind you that i can only play these on the Wii so strictly the GC versions

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Get all of them. Seriously. :)

But if I had to choose the best, it'd be 1.

jmr1500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jmr1500

The remake of 1 on the cube was probably my favorite up until 4. Although I read that there was supposed to be a remake of it coming to the Wii, not sure what will be different so you might wanna just wait a lil bit and see what thats all about.

shulinchung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shulinchung

Be cautious, though. RE4&5 are very different from previous games. New RE players who love RE4&5 usually feel that previous RE games don't age well......
I strongly suggest you somehow find a way to try them before purchasing.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I think you might find the older games harder to play after the stylish controls of Resident Evil 5. (Resident Evil 4 won't be a huge jump, mind, but all of the games pre-dating that are relics, certainly.)

Since the original was remade for the Gamecube and the sequels (that is, 2 and 3) were ported from their home on the original Playstation, not to mention Resident Evil 4 and 0 are both Gamecube games by nature, you're pretty well set to experience the entire series from the beginning, since the Wii can play Gamecube discs.

HOWEVER, if you'd like a Sparknotes version of the Resident Evil franchise, the Wii has Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles, a rail-shooter that follows the plot of the original game, some of Resident Evil 0, and some of Resident Evil 3. A sequel to that game is on the way, which will follow the plot of Resident Evil 2. Because of the gap in game mechanics (and the level to which the older games are highly inaccessible), this may be a more feasible option, since the older, more stilted games are a bit more difficult.

Resident Evil 4 and 0 are standalone titles you'll probably need to purchase regardless. At least 4 is. The plot of 0 is negligible, and you can catch up on it through the files found in Resident Evil 5 without a whole lot missing.

On a final note (I'm trying really hard not to post a wall of text, but this is a great topic, I think), if you do choose to nab either the REmake or one of the ported sequels, do note that the trick to catching all of the story's minutia lies within finding the documents strewn about the environment. Resident Evil 5 had files you'd find that seemed, for the most part, relatively irrelevant to the immediate plot, but they did a lot to fill in some of the narrative's gaps. This is a staple of the franchise, and you should expect to do a lot of hunting to connect the dots.

Then again, some of the more dedicated Resident Evil fans have put together a hyper-extensive Resident Evil wiki that will serve to guide you if you're lost or if things aren't quite clear (which is often the case in the Resident Evil games). Though, reading a wiki pales in comparison to experiencing the franchise in medias res, as it were, through the eyes of the characters involved.

Ultimately, the must-buy games, if you're dead set on playing them, are 1 (REmake or otherwise), 2, 4, and 5. 3 is connected, obviously, but very little happens in that plot. That's not to say nothing significant happens in that plot, but it is to say much of that ten-to-twelve hour venture is simple padding and fruitless exposition.

If you have any further questions, you should totally hit me up in a personal message, because, as you can see, I'm kind of a nut for this stuff.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Discorsi

Yea RE5 got me all resident evil crazy.  I played 4 all the way threw for the first time and started to play one.  Pretty good so far but i am one of those people who dont like to manually save often so i have been punished by losing progress.  You have a limited amount of saves which further compunds my unwillingness to save every so often.  However it seems like I can/should save more often then i think.  Some of the mechanics feel very archaic mostly inventory wise and going about the puzzles.  I like it (re1), the combat and mansion design is pretty cool.  The fixed camera angles are interesting and add to the overall game. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

you will likely find it weird how different in story and every thing else 4 and 5 are from the earlier parts of the series with no real tangiable connection between them it will leave you wondering what happend, It happend for me and i played all the games in correct order and just noticed this big gap of information between code veronica and 4.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WilliamRLBaker said:
"you will likely find it weird how different in story and every thing else 4 and 5 are from the earlier parts of the series with no real tangiable connection between them it will leave you wondering what happend, It happend for me and i played all the games in correct order and just noticed this big gap of information between code veronica and 4."
I'm not sure what you're missing, but the whole timeline is pretty well explained in the files of Resident Evil 5. Plus, the connection between 4 and 5, much less the rest of the series, really isn't that difficult to put together. Obviously, Wesker's the key.  But I won't get further into it lest I spoil everything for the Original Poster.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#9  Edited By TobyD81

1 was the best of the remakes, but to me 2 is the best overall game. 3 is good too.

The_Drizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Drizzle

Well damn it seems as if everyone is different on which games to actually purchase lol