#1 Edited by clarkj1981 (39 posts) -

Both the PS4 and the Xbone did fantastic in November, according to NPD. Summary as follows (link at bottom):

• PS4 was the overall top-selling console in November
  • Both PS4 and Xbone have sold over 2 million units since launch
  • In the US, the Xbone sold appx 910,000 units in November, and was the fastest selling console, given its 1-week lag time.

This is great news for all of gaming in general and console gaming in particular!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/12/5205578/ps4-xbox-one-battle-for-best-selling-fastest-selling-consoles-in-nov

#2 Edited by GiantLizardKing (371 posts) -

That's great news. Turns out there really was a lot of pent up demand.

#3 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -

Not for ouya the console of the generation!

#4 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@clarkj1981 said:

Both the PS4 and the Xbone did fantastic in November, according to NPD. Summary as follows (link at bottom):

• PS4 was the overall top-selling console in November
  • Both PS4 and Xbone have sold over 2 million units since launch
  • In the US, the Xbone sold appx 910,000 units in November, and was the fastest selling console, given its 1-week lag time.

This is great news for all of gaming in general and console gaming in particular!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/12/12/5205578/ps4-xbox-one-battle-for-best-selling-fastest-selling-consoles-in-nov

The fastest selling console is a PR bullshit. Both sold great that is for sure, but the PS4 sold 1 million units in 24 hours. While the XBox One sold 900k Units in 7 days. What Microsoft did was using the average of howl long the One was available. Which is really misleading.

But none or less It is a fantastic Start for this generation.

#5 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Ok

#6 Posted by afabs515 (1018 posts) -

So... so videogames aren't ACTUALLY over!?

#7 Posted by Sergio (2080 posts) -

The claim by Microsoft is disingenuous and pure spin. I question the veracity of any journalists who simply quote it without doing some math to easily debunk it.

#8 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@sergio: It is polygon what did you expect XD

#9 Edited by clarkj1981 (39 posts) -

@sergio said:

The claim by Microsoft is disingenuous and pure spin. I question the veracity of any journalists who simply quote it without doing some math to easily debunk it.

"Claim by MSFT"? Wow. I'm sorry you're so upset that both consoles are selling fantastic. Is your Sony paycheck direct deposit or do you have to cash it yourself?

@darji said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/npd-xbox-one-is-the-fastest-selling-console-in-november-and-call-of-duty-leads-software/1100-6416696/

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/november-npd-ps4-is-top-selling-console-xbox-one-is-fastest/

#10 Posted by Poonz (133 posts) -

Thank god they really did well, I don't have a gaming PC and can't stand playing games on my iPhone.

#11 Posted by Marokai (2861 posts) -

It is disingenuous and pure spin. I think it's great to see games machines selling so well and to see such enthusiasm for my favorite hobby, but it doesn't mean we can't at least recognize that line from Microsoft is basically meaningless.

#12 Edited by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@sergio said:

"Claim by MSFT"? Wow. I'm sorry you're so upset that both consoles are selling fantastic. Is your Sony paycheck direct deposit or do you have to cash it yourself?

@darji said:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/npd-xbox-one-is-the-fastest-selling-console-in-november-and-call-of-duty-leads-software/1100-6416696/

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/12/12/november-npd-ps4-is-top-selling-console-xbox-one-is-fastest/

I'm actually not upset that they're both doing fine. That's actually good for the industry. I think you're projecting your Xbox fanboyism onto other people thinking that they're Sony fanboys, Mr. 26 posts and counting.

That doesn't mean that this isn't pure spin from Microsoft claiming to be the fastest selling console. Both consoles sold out on their respective launch days, then trickled out more sales since that point. The PS4 was out longer, which contributes to the factual claim of PS4 being the best selling console that month. Simply dividing by the number of days each console was on sale will result in a lower average for the console that has been out longer.

Neither claim matters much in a console war so early in each platforms launch where supply is constrained.

#13 Posted by TheKing (827 posts) -

But I thought console gaming was dead and it's all about the PC now...

#14 Edited by Sergio (2080 posts) -

@theking said:

Wrong. It's all about mobile and tablet gaming!

#15 Edited by biospank (657 posts) -

lel, what a PR spin Microsoft did. and bloody hell when I think about how Microsoft could have taken my sweet money yesterday. Well, I will probably have to buy the gosh darn console from Germany because Microsoft somehow think that only some European countries has the standard to have it.

#16 Posted by pweidman (2319 posts) -

Great news for the industry and gamers. Publisher confidence and willingness to invest has got to be on full go. Awesome.

#17 Edited by Irvandus (2875 posts) -
@sergio said:

@theking said:

Wrong. It's all about mobile and tablet gaming!

Wrong. It's all about free to play. Who even needs devices?

#18 Edited by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

@sergio said:

Really, a company selling a product is putting a positive spin on its product although it may or may not be true? That doesn't sound legal....

If it isn't how dare they, those fucking assholes. I'm never buying another microsoft product ever. Thanks for sharing duder.

#19 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5368 posts) -

That's great news. I'm so happy gaming is still very much alive!

#20 Edited by mikey87144 (1719 posts) -

I love the fact that both consoles are selling great. It is better for EVERYONE that both are selling great.

#21 Edited by Lyisa (340 posts) -

I think its a little too early to call it, even if the initial sales are fantastic.

#22 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

gaming is dead.

#23 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

Videogames have never been this BIG revenue and player count wise. Console gaming market its been decreasing thou.

Videogames are fine, consoles thou.

@themanwithnoplan "That's great news. I'm so happy console gaming is still very much alive!", videogames have never been under treat.

#24 Posted by Thedrbrian (62 posts) -

@darji: such responsive

6 words per line

much text resize

#25 Edited by Mousse_gallon (175 posts) -

I miss the days when we would just get the raw numbers.

#26 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Interesting that two comparable consoles priced $100 apart are selling so similarly.

#27 Posted by ManMadeGod (1559 posts) -

Didn't the Dreamcast sell 10M+ before being discontinued? I think everyone needs to relax about these numbers........

#28 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@jjweatherman: I think, for the typical early adopters (lots of disposable income), that $100 isn't as much as it sounds like/is to normal folk. For me, personally, the Kinect was worth the extra $100, but I can understand that it wouldn't be for some.

#29 Edited by ripelivejam (3729 posts) -
#30 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1558 posts) -

Given all of the stupid tech press condescension and eulogizing this year about smartphones, tablets, and Steam making the consoles obsolete dinosaurs, it's nice to see them (and the 3DS!) doing just fine. It's true that we won't be able to form any meaningful conclusions until as late as this time next year, but there were people speculating that these consoles could have Vita-style sputtering launches, and that's clearly not the case. If you'd believed the most reactionary corners of the internet, the Xbox One launch would be an embarrassing disaster. That said, while I think Nintendo's smarter than they're made out to be, the Wii U worries me.

#31 Edited by RonGalaxy (3065 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

No, they are still over.

#32 Edited by BenderUnit22 (1477 posts) -

My thoughts:

• Good, although I don't know where that fear of console gaming possibly being dead came from.
  • In terms of console popularity, the numbers are relatively meaningless as long as the production can't keep up with demand. Also, Xbone won't be available in a lot of countries until late next year.
  • Sony announced they had sold 1 million in North America within a day, while the NPD says Xbone is the best-selling console in the US with <1 Million. Either Sony barely shipped any more consoles beyond the inital launch or the PS4 must have done gangbusters in Canada, the Carribean and Mexico
  • Not sure about this, but isn't the NPD only estimating Wallmart numbers, possibly the biggest source for consoles in the US?
#33 Posted by RazielCuts (2943 posts) -

Nintendo should become third party/get out of the hardware business/release their games on phones and tablets/get bought by Disney.

#34 Posted by Scampbell (496 posts) -

@theking said:

Well that's what they are, both consoles are centered around an AMD APU, though the exact specification is apparently a secret. This would absurd if we where talking about a PC, so I guess that is different too. The only thing that sets it apart is fancy RAM. Such as the PS4's GDDR5 RAM. Though within a few years you'll likely be able to basically build your own PS4.

Of course you are buying a consoles for its games anyway. Strangely, when it comes to the Wii U, it seems people do care about specifications. Make up your mind already.

In any case, I hope they all do well.

It seems likely that gaming on the PC will be a much better choice this generation, I mean how hard can you botch a port when you are practically designing it for PC already. I know, pretty badly, but hey, you can always hope.

#35 Posted by afabs515 (1018 posts) -

@afabs515 said:

No, they are still over.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWW

#36 Posted by mcmax3000 (277 posts) -

@darji said:

the PS4 sold 1 million units in 24 hours. While the XBox One sold 900k Units in 7 days.

Not a fair comparison, because the 1 million number that Sony announced was for North America, whereas the Xbox number is from NPD, which only covers the US.

I feel pretty safe in saying if you count all of North America, Microsoft likely sold over a million as well.

I don't doubt that Sony did better, but those two numbers are not 1:1 comparisons.

#37 Edited by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

These figures don't surprise me. I would honestly be far far more shocked if they both didn't break sales records.